Kazu Yamamoto | 24 Jan 09:33 2013
Picon

Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

Hello,

The "validate" script against GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD 9.1.
After sync-all, I did as follow:

----------------------------------------------------------------
% config_args="--with-iconv-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-iconv-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gmp-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-gmp-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gcc=/usr/local/bin/gcc47" CPUS=10 sh validate
----------------------------------------------------------------

This stopped quickly due to this problem:
	http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7592

Then I executed "validate" with "--no-clean" again.

----------------------------------------------------------------
% config_args="--with-iconv-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-iconv-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gmp-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-gmp-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gcc=/usr/local/bin/gcc47" CPUS=10 sh validate --no-clean
----------------------------------------------------------------

GHC could be compiled and tests started. But this resulted in:

----------------------------------------------------------------
cd ../../libraries/base/tests && '/usr/home/kazu/work/ghc/bindisttest/install   dir/bin/ghc'
-fforce-recomp -dcore-lint -dcmm-lint -dno-debug-output -no-user-package-db -rtsopts
-fno-ghci-history -o qsemn001 qsemn001.hs    >qsemn001.comp.stderr 2>&1
cd ../../libraries/base/tests && ./T5962    </dev/null >T5962.run.stdout 2>T5962.run.stderr
cd ../../libraries/base/tests && ./5943    </dev/null >5943.run.stdout 2>5943.run.stderr
(Continue reading)

Kazu Yamamoto | 25 Jan 04:58 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

Hi,

I confirmed that testsuite/timeout/install-inplace/bin/timeout.py does
not receive SIGALRM, so it is waiting forever.

Any suggestions to fix this?

--Kazu

> Hello,
> 
> The "validate" script against GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD 9.1.
> After sync-all, I did as follow:
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> % config_args="--with-iconv-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-iconv-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gmp-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-gmp-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gcc=/usr/local/bin/gcc47" CPUS=10 sh validate
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> This stopped quickly due to this problem:
> 	http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7592
> 
> Then I executed "validate" with "--no-clean" again.
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> % config_args="--with-iconv-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-iconv-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gmp-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-gmp-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gcc=/usr/local/bin/gcc47" CPUS=10 sh validate --no-clean
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
(Continue reading)

Kazu Yamamoto | 25 Jan 08:03 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

OK. I found an alternative timeout command written in Haskell.  And
insert "unblockSignals fullSignalSet" to it. Now "validate" can
finish.

I guess that one process (possibly GNU make) set signal mask and its
children inherit it. What is a right solution for this?

--Kazu

> I confirmed that testsuite/timeout/install-inplace/bin/timeout.py does
> not receive SIGALRM, so it is waiting forever.
> 
> Any suggestions to fix this?
> 
> --Kazu
> 
>> Hello,
>> 
>> The "validate" script against GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD 9.1.
>> After sync-all, I did as follow:
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> % config_args="--with-iconv-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-iconv-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gmp-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-gmp-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-gcc=/usr/local/bin/gcc47" CPUS=10 sh validate
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> This stopped quickly due to this problem:
>> 	http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7592
>> 
(Continue reading)

Kazu Yamamoto | 29 Jan 07:02 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

Hi,

When I execute the following command (after GHC is build):

	% THREADS=1 sh validate --testsuite-only

the following test command always freezes:

	cd ./concurrent/should_run && '/usr/home/kazu/work/ghc/bindisttest/install   dir/bin/ghc'
-fforce-recomp -dcore-lint -dcmm-lint -dno-debug-output -no-user-package-db -rtsopts
-fno-ghci-history conc070.hs --interactive -v0 -ignore-dot-ghci +RTS -I0.1 -RTS  
<conc070.genscript 1>conc070.interp.stdout 2>conc070.interp.stderr

The GHC command is consuming CPU 100%.

I tested this GHC 4.6/GHC 4.7 to make GHC and GNU make 3.81/3.82. But
nothing changed.

Does nobody execute the "validate" script on FreeBSD before?

--Kazu

From: Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <kazu <at> iij.ad.jp>
Subject: Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

> OK. I found an alternative timeout command written in Haskell.  And
> insert "unblockSignals fullSignalSet" to it. Now "validate" can
> finish.
> 
> I guess that one process (possibly GNU make) set signal mask and its
(Continue reading)

Kazu Yamamoto | 29 Jan 08:17 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

Hi,

Even testsuite for GHC 7.4.2 ("gmake fast") freezes:

* Consuming CPU 100%
	- compiling conc070.hs
	- 367_letnoes
	- throwto001
	- Chan002

* Waiting for somting forever
	- signals004

I can reproduce this phenomena both for GHC HEAD and GHC 7.4.2 100%.

--Kazu

> Hi,
> 
> When I execute the following command (after GHC is build):
> 
> 	% THREADS=1 sh validate --testsuite-only
> 
> the following test command always freezes:
> 
> 	cd ./concurrent/should_run && '/usr/home/kazu/work/ghc/bindisttest/install   dir/bin/ghc'
-fforce-recomp -dcore-lint -dcmm-lint -dno-debug-output -no-user-package-db -rtsopts
-fno-ghci-history conc070.hs --interactive -v0 -ignore-dot-ghci +RTS -I0.1 -RTS  
<conc070.genscript 1>conc070.interp.stdout 2>conc070.interp.stderr
> 
(Continue reading)

Páli Gábor János | 29 Jan 19:06 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu <at> iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> I tested this GHC 4.6/GHC 4.7 to make GHC and GNU make 3.81/3.82. But
> nothing changed.
>
> Does nobody execute the "validate" script on FreeBSD before?

I have been running builder clients for both the FreeBSD head [1,2]
and stable [3,4] branches, and they did not show these problems.
Although I admit that their current setup is rather conservative, I am
using an old (well, the oldest supported) release, 8.1 with GCC from
the base system (4.2.1).  It is because I would like to produce
vanilla tarballs that could be run on both older 8.x and newer (9.x,
10.x) systems.

On a related note, I have just (about a month ago) switched to GCC 4.6
for the GHC maintained in the FreeBSD Ports Collection (7.4.2, as part
of the Haskell Platform), and I did not experience any problem with
it, I am currently using it on my netbook, together with numerous
ports I have for it.

But I will look into the problems you have described, I am obviously
for fixing these up.

[1] http://darcs.haskell.org/ghcBuilder/builders/pgj/
[2] http://darcs.haskell.org/ghcBuilder/builders/pgj2/
[3] http://darcs.haskell.org/ghcBuilder/builders/pgj-freebsd-i386-stable/
[4] http://darcs.haskell.org/ghcBuilder/builders/pgj-freebsd-amd64-stable/
(Continue reading)

Kazu Yamamoto | 30 Jan 03:45 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

Hi Páli,

> On a related note, I have just (about a month ago) switched to GCC 4.6
> for the GHC maintained in the FreeBSD Ports Collection (7.4.2, as part
> of the Haskell Platform), and I did not experience any problem with
> it, I am currently using it on my netbook, together with numerous
> ports I have for it.

Thank you for your reply. 

Just in case, I would summarize what I'm talking about. There are two
issues on FreeBSD:

1) Building GHC stops

       This is the problem which we are discussing in
       http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7592

2) Tests freeze

       I confirmed that GHC 7.4.2, GHC HEAD, GHC 7.6.2RC2 has the same
       problem.

--Kazu
Páli Gábor János | 3 Feb 18:45 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu <at> iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> 2) Tests freeze
>
>        I confirmed that GHC 7.4.2, GHC HEAD, GHC 7.6.2RC2 has the same
>        problem.

Could you please file a ticket about this as well?
Kazu Yamamoto | 4 Feb 02:28 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

> Could you please file a ticket about this as well?

I registered this a while ago.

	http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7652

--Kazu
Páli Gábor János | 4 Feb 15:18 2013
Picon

Re: Validate of GHC HEAD freezes on FreeBSD

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu <at> iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> I registered this a while ago.
>
>         http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7652

Thanks!

Gmane