Jens Petersen | 26 Mar 03:33 2013

ghc and aarch64?

I am curious if anyone has started or is planning to work on porting
GHC to the new ARM 64bit architecture AArch64 for Linux?

Jens
David Terei | 26 Mar 08:14 2013
Picon

Re: ghc and aarch64?

I don't believe so.

LLVM in head supports Arm64 so I imagine it wouldn't be too much work
to extend our existing Arm support (also through LLVM) to work with
Arm64. I'm not aware of any Arm64 hardware being available yet but
someone could potentially start with a virtual image:
http://www.linaro.org/engineering/armv8

On 25 March 2013 19:33, Jens Petersen <juhp <at> community.haskell.org> wrote:
> I am curious if anyone has started or is planning to work on porting
> GHC to the new ARM 64bit architecture AArch64 for Linux?
>
> Jens
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
> Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Karel Gardas | 26 Mar 09:31 2013
Picon

Re: ghc and aarch64?


Hi David,

AArch64 is completely new architecture so it's not about extending 
current ARM support but rather write a new beside it -- at least as a 
prototype, if there is a lot of synergies you can merge both together 
later, but I don't see it having a high chance. Well the situation with 
AArch64 and ARM is very similar to situation with i386 and amd64 support 
so you can get an idea what's the difference (extended registers set, 
extended registers width, extended NEON (the least important detail 
indeed), different calling convention, etc.)

Cheers,
Karel

On 03/26/13 08:14 AM, David Terei wrote:
> I don't believe so.
>
> LLVM in head supports Arm64 so I imagine it wouldn't be too much work
> to extend our existing Arm support (also through LLVM) to work with
> Arm64. I'm not aware of any Arm64 hardware being available yet but
> someone could potentially start with a virtual image:
> http://www.linaro.org/engineering/armv8
>
> On 25 March 2013 19:33, Jens Petersen<juhp <at> community.haskell.org>  wrote:
>> I am curious if anyone has started or is planning to work on porting
>> GHC to the new ARM 64bit architecture AArch64 for Linux?
>>
>> Jens
>>
(Continue reading)

David Terei | 26 Mar 10:23 2013
Picon

Re: ghc and aarch64?

Sure. 'Extend' was the wrong phrasing. I meant more that given the
work gone into ARM support in GHC in the sense of the build system,
RTS, cross compilation.. e.t.c, I'd be surprised if this didn't help
porting to AArch64. Just human expertise we have now helps a huge
amount.

On 26 March 2013 01:31, Karel Gardas <karel.gardas <at> centrum.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> AArch64 is completely new architecture so it's not about extending current
> ARM support but rather write a new beside it -- at least as a prototype, if
> there is a lot of synergies you can merge both together later, but I don't
> see it having a high chance. Well the situation with AArch64 and ARM is very
> similar to situation with i386 and amd64 support so you can get an idea
> what's the difference (extended registers set, extended registers width,
> extended NEON (the least important detail indeed), different calling
> convention, etc.)
>
> Cheers,
> Karel
>
>
> On 03/26/13 08:14 AM, David Terei wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe so.
>>
>> LLVM in head supports Arm64 so I imagine it wouldn't be too much work
>> to extend our existing Arm support (also through LLVM) to work with
>> Arm64. I'm not aware of any Arm64 hardware being available yet but
(Continue reading)


Gmane