Roman Cheplyaka | 12 Apr 12:26 2013

Using old code generator

Hi,

I'm looking for a workaround for #7574 [1] (I run into it when trying to
build the 'statistics' package with profiling enabled with GHC HEAD.)

The symptom is

  ghc-stage2: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
    (GHC version 7.7.20130407 for i386-unknown-linux):
    allocateRegsAndSpill: Cannot read from uninitialized register
      %vI_cCdO

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7574

Do I understand correctly that this bug is specific to the new codegen?
If so, is it possible to ask the compiler to use the old codegen?
Is it okay to mix together packages compiled with both codegens?

Thanks,
Roman
Simon Peyton-Jones | 12 Apr 12:32 2013
Picon

RE: Using old code generator

I believe that the old codegen is gone altogether.

Please add to the ticket to say that it blocks compilation of a particular package (with instructions for
how to reproduce). Is this an important package?

Someone should just fix the codegen!  Any volunteers?  Simon left some breadcrumbs and I'm sure would help.

Simon

(Continue reading)

Roman Cheplyaka | 12 Apr 13:03 2013

Re: Using old code generator

Thanks Simon.

'statistics' is needed for criterion (the benchmarking tool), so yes,
I'd say it's important.

I'll add more information to the ticket later today.

Roman

* Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj <at> microsoft.com> [2013-04-12 10:32:36+0000]