harry | 23 Jul 13:47 2013
Picon

Installing GHC and libgmp.so

I've had a lot of trouble installing the pre-build binary of GHC on various
Linux systems for which packages don't exist - all of this stems from GHC
looking for libgmp.so, instead of libgmp.so.3. Various combinations of
--with-gmp-libraries haven't helped, particularly as I need a packaged build
for copying onto shared machines where I don't have enough disk space to
install from the binary package locally, and don't have root access to
create a shortcut in /usr/lib64.

Is it possible for someone to recompile the pre-build binaries, linked
against a specific version of libgmp, instead of a default which happens to
be on their machine? Or is there some other solution to my predicament?

Stephen Paul Weber | 23 Jul 16:28 2013
Picon

Re: Installing GHC and libgmp.so

Somebody claiming to be harry wrote:
>all of this stems from GHC
>looking for libgmp.so, instead of libgmp.so.3

Most systems symlink libgmp.so to the default version installed.  On Debian
stable it's libgmp.so.10 ... so it may work for you, but you may want to
upgrade.

Stephen Paul Weber,  <at> singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted
edition right joseph
harry | 23 Jul 16:33 2013
Picon

Re: Installing GHC and libgmp.so

Stephen Paul Weber wrote
> Somebody claiming to be harry wrote:
>>all of this stems from GHC
>>looking for libgmp.so, instead of libgmp.so.3
>
> Most systems symlink libgmp.so to the default version installed.  On
> Debian
> stable it's libgmp.so.10 ... so it may work for you, but you may want to
> upgrade.

It's not symlinked on the systems that I'm working with (mostly CentOS and
Red Hat - I'm not disputing that it might work on "most" systems). I also
need to install GHC on systems where I don't have root access, so I can't
create the link.

Could GHC be configured to look for libgmp.so.3, or whatever version it was
actually linked against, if it can't find libgmp.so?

Brandon Allbery | 23 Jul 16:38 2013
Picon

Re: Installing GHC and libgmp.so

Could GHC be configured to look for libgmp.so.3, or whatever version it was
actually linked against, if it can't find libgmp.so?

Linux ld.so doesn't work that way.

harry | 23 Jul 16:43 2013
Picon

Re: Installing GHC and libgmp.so

Brandon Allbery wrote
> Linux ld.so doesn't work that way.

What does the --with-gmp-libraries option do? I've tried using it with a
local shortcut, but it didn't help.

Stephen Paul Weber | 23 Jul 16:51 2013
Picon

Re: Installing GHC and libgmp.so

Somebody claiming to be harry wrote:
>Stephen Paul Weber wrote
>> Somebody claiming to be harry wrote:
>I also
>need to install GHC on systems where I don't have root access, so I can't
>create the link.

You can create the link somewhere else, and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH
I have done this before.  If your version of libgmp is compatible, it should
work.

Stephen Paul Weber,  <at> singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted
edition right joseph
harry | 24 Jul 13:59 2013
Picon

Re: Installing GHC and libgmp.so

Stephen Paul Weber wrote
> You can create the link somewhere else, and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> I have done this before.  If your version of libgmp is compatible, it
> should
> work.

Thank you - that worked!

Brandon Allbery | 23 Jul 16:35 2013
Picon

Re: Installing GHC and libgmp.so

looking for libgmp.so, instead of libgmp.so.3

Most systems symlink libgmp.so to the default version installed.  On Debian stable it's libgmp.so.10 ... so it may work for you, but you may want to upgrade.

Actually, the unversioned .so is often in a -dev package.