Yitzchak Gale | 3 Oct 13:22 2013

Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

We received a complaint from one of our customers that
the Linux executable for one of our products - compiled
using GHC - does not run because of libgmp not being
installed on their server. This binary was compiled using
GHC 7.4.2 (HP 2012.4.0.0). We hope to be migrating soon
to GHC 7.6.3 (HP 2013.2.0.0.).

Do GHC-compiled binaries have a dynamic dependence on libgmp?
If so, what are the exact requirements we need to communicate
to our customers? Does this limit what versions of Linux
we can claim that our product supports?

Are there similar requirements and limitations regarding
GNU Readline?

Thanks,
Yitz
Brandon Allbery | 3 Oct 15:40 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Yitzchak Gale <gale <at> sefer.org> wrote:
Do GHC-compiled binaries have a dynamic dependence on libgmp?
If so, what are the exact requirements we need to communicate
to our customers? Does this limit what versions of Linux
we can claim that our product supports?

Are there similar requirements and limitations regarding
GNU Readline?

GHC uses static libraries for Haskell libraries, but the default (usually dynamic) system libraries for everything else (gmp, glibc, readline, zlib, etc.) unless you force static linking for everything. But on Linux, static linking means an exact glibc version dependency for anything involving plugins: mostly name service lookups (gethostbyname, user/group lookup, etc.). And even bundling glibc and its plugins to avoid this can run into conflicts with kernel APIs (often revealed as the program crashing immediately with a itimer error).

glibc should almost always be dynamic. Ideally you would use `ldd` on binaries to determine other dynamic dependencies that must be communicated or provided; if necessary, you can arrange for only static versions of those libraries to be available at link time, but if the library uses plugins it will have the same issues that static linking glibc does.

brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
allbery.b <at> gmail.com                                  ballbery <at> sinenomine.net
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Yitzchak Gale | 3 Oct 19:10 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your response and explanation.

I wrote:
>> [For] GHC-compiled binaries...
>> what are the exact requirements we need to communicate
>> to our customers?

You wrote:
> Ideally you would use `ldd` on
> binaries to determine other dynamic dependencies
> that must be communicated

ldd just says "not a dynamic executable".

When run against ghc itself, ldd gives a list of 11 dynamic
libraries, and for each of them the specific binary version
of the library that it linked against on my own particular
machine.

Does the machine on which we run the GHC-compiled
binary need every single one of these libraries in order
to run?

Here is the list of libraries - identical for both
GHC 7.4.2 and GHC 7.6.3:

Thanks,
Yitz
Brandon Allbery | 3 Oct 20:38 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale <at> sefer.org> wrote:
I wrote:
>> [For] GHC-compiled binaries...
>> what are the exact requirements we need to communicate
>> to our customers?

You wrote:
> Ideally you would use `ldd` on
> binaries to determine other dynamic dependencies
> that must be communicated

ldd just says "not a dynamic executable".

o.O I don't think the ghc runtime uses dlopen() to get at gmp (and I'm not sure that would even work in a static binary). You may need to resort to strace to find out what's trying to pull in libgmp.so.whatever. Unless this program is like xmonad and requires ghc behind the scenes to build something, in which case you would indeed need everything that ghc requires (and, of course, ghc itself).

brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Erik de Castro Lopo | 3 Oct 21:43 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale <at> sefer.org> wrote:
> > ldd just says "not a dynamic executable".
> o.O I don't think the ghc runtime uses dlopen() to get at gmp (and I'm not
> sure that would even work in a static binary). You may need to resort to
> strace to find out what's trying to pull in libgmp.so.whatever. Unless this
> program is like xmonad and requires ghc behind the scenes to build
> something, in which case you would indeed need everything that ghc requires
> (and, of course, ghc itself).

I suspect the OP's exectuable is aleady being compiled static.

For the webapp I'm currently working on I get:

> ldd test-webapp
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fffcdd91000)
        libpq.so.5 => /usr/lib/libpq.so.5 (0x00007f973e0a8000)
        libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007f973de90000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f973dc87000)
        libutil.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libutil.so.1 (0x00007f973da84000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f973d880000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f973d663000)
        libldap_r-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f973d412000)
        liblber-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblber-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f973d203000)
        libgmp.so.10 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 (0x00007f973cf8a000)
        libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007f973cd82000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f973ca84000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f973c6d7000)
        libssl.so.1.0.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 (0x00007f973c479000)
        libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 (0x00007f973c087000)
        libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.3 (0x00007f973bdb2000)
        libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcom_err.so.2 (0x00007f973bbae000)
        libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0x00007f973b96f000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f973e2f9000)
        libresolv.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007f973b757000)
        libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsasl2.so.2 (0x00007f973b53c000)
        libgnutls.so.26 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.26 (0x00007f973b27c000)
        libgcrypt.so.11 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so.11 (0x00007f973affc000)
        libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x00007f973add3000)
        libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5support.so.0 (0x00007f973abc9000)
        libkeyutils.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkeyutils.so.1 (0x00007f973a9c5000)
        libtasn1.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtasn1.so.3 (0x00007f973a7b3000)
        libp11-kit.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libp11-kit.so.0 (0x00007f973a593000)
        libgpg-error.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgpg-error.so.0 (0x00007f973a38e000)

and libgmp is clearly listed in that.

Erik

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Erik de Castro Lopo
Brandon Allbery | 3 Oct 21:57 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs <at> mega-nerd.com> wrote:
Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale <at> sefer.org> wrote:
> > ldd just says "not a dynamic executable".
> o.O I don't think the ghc runtime uses dlopen() to get at gmp (and I'm not
> sure that would even work in a static binary). You may need to resort to

I suspect the OP's exectuable is aleady being compiled static.

Yes; which leaves the question of why it requires libgmp.so, and if it's static the only things I can think of are (a) it's using dlopen(), or (b) it's running something else that is not static and requires libgmp.so.

brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Jens Petersen | 4 Oct 03:40 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

I suspect the OP's exectuable is already being compiled static.

You built ghc yourself?

And ran ldd on $bindir/ghc or  $libdir/ghc-version ?

Jens
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Yitzchak Gale | 9 Oct 13:33 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

> You may need to resort to
> strace to find out what's trying to pull in libgmp.so.whatever.

I don't know how to do that. And anyway, I don't have access to
the machine on which the customer is reporting this. I do believe
the report - there is no compilation going on here, they are
only running our GHC-compiled binary. They know nothing
about GHC (not even that we are using it).

I was hoping that there would be some general knowledge about
this so I could just pass it on to our customers. But I see everyone
else is as surprised as I am about a supposedly static GHC-compiled
binary requiring a libgmp.so to run.

> Unless this
> program is like xmonad and requires ghc behind the scenes to build
> something, in which case you would indeed need everything that ghc requires
> (and, of course, ghc itself).

No definitely not.

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>> I suspect the OP's exectuable is already being compiled static.

I compiled it static.

Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> Yes; which leaves the question of why it requires libgmp.so, and if it's
>> static the only things I can think of are (a) it's using dlopen(), or (b)
>> it's running something else that is not static and requires libgmp.so.

Right.

Could a dependent library be causing this? For example, this
program depends on direct-sqlite, which in turn links to
sqlite via FFI. It also depends on wai, which pulls in quite a few
indirect dependencies.

If so - how would I investigate this and get a complete list of
the system libraries that customers are required to install
as prerequisites?

Jens Petersen wrote:
> You built ghc yourself?

No. It is the generic Linux binary tarball from GHC HQ.

> And ran ldd on $bindir/ghc or  $libdir/ghc-version ?

No, in $bindir that's just a shell script. It's in $libdir.
The executable is ghc; ghc-version is a directory containing
object files compiled from libraries.

Thanks,
Yitz
Carter Schonwald | 9 Oct 20:22 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

I remember Tim Dysinger telling me  some incantations needed to statically link Gmp into the static binary before deployment.  I'll pester him to re remember what's needed, but the point is there's a way.

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013, Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> You may need to resort to
> strace to find out what's trying to pull in libgmp.so.whatever.

I don't know how to do that. And anyway, I don't have access to
the machine on which the customer is reporting this. I do believe
the report - there is no compilation going on here, they are
only running our GHC-compiled binary. They know nothing
about GHC (not even that we are using it).

I was hoping that there would be some general knowledge about
this so I could just pass it on to our customers. But I see everyone
else is as surprised as I am about a supposedly static GHC-compiled
binary requiring a libgmp.so to run.

> Unless this
> program is like xmonad and requires ghc behind the scenes to build
> something, in which case you would indeed need everything that ghc requires
> (and, of course, ghc itself).

No definitely not.

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>> I suspect the OP's exectuable is already being compiled static.

I compiled it static.

Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> Yes; which leaves the question of why it requires libgmp.so, and if it's
>> static the only things I can think of are (a) it's using dlopen(), or (b)
>> it's running something else that is not static and requires libgmp.so.

Right.

Could a dependent library be causing this? For example, this
program depends on direct-sqlite, which in turn links to
sqlite via FFI. It also depends on wai, which pulls in quite a few
indirect dependencies.

If so - how would I investigate this and get a complete list of
the system libraries that customers are required to install
as prerequisites?

Jens Petersen wrote:
> You built ghc yourself?

No. It is the generic Linux binary tarball from GHC HQ.

> And ran ldd on $bindir/ghc or  $libdir/ghc-version ?

No, in $bindir that's just a shell script. It's in $libdir.
The executable is ghc; ghc-version is a directory containing
object files compiled from libraries.

Thanks,
Yitz
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Carter Schonwald | 9 Oct 20:47 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

there seem to be two main approaches (which both require some testing)

1) build ghc with integer-simple

2) do some static linking tricks on your side, such as those described in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/809794/use-both-static-and-dynamically-linked-libraries-in-gcc, this might entail that you need to know the precise OS / Distro a client is using before you give them a binary, but might make the process much simpler overall (despite its relative hackiness)

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald <at> gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> You may need to resort to
> strace to find out what's trying to pull in libgmp.so.whatever.

I don't know how to do that. And anyway, I don't have access to
the machine on which the customer is reporting this. I do believe
the report - there is no compilation going on here, they are
only running our GHC-compiled binary. They know nothing
about GHC (not even that we are using it).

I was hoping that there would be some general knowledge about
this so I could just pass it on to our customers. But I see everyone
else is as surprised as I am about a supposedly static GHC-compiled
binary requiring a libgmp.so to run.

> Unless this
> program is like xmonad and requires ghc behind the scenes to build
> something, in which case you would indeed need everything that ghc requires
> (and, of course, ghc itself).

No definitely not.

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>> I suspect the OP's exectuable is already being compiled static.

I compiled it static.

Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> Yes; which leaves the question of why it requires libgmp.so, and if it's
>> static the only things I can think of are (a) it's using dlopen(), or (b)
>> it's running something else that is not static and requires libgmp.so.

Right.

Could a dependent library be causing this? For example, this
program depends on direct-sqlite, which in turn links to
sqlite via FFI. It also depends on wai, which pulls in quite a few
indirect dependencies.

If so - how would I investigate this and get a complete list of
the system libraries that customers are required to install
as prerequisites?

Jens Petersen wrote:
> You built ghc yourself?

No. It is the generic Linux binary tarball from GHC HQ.

> And ran ldd on $bindir/ghc or  $libdir/ghc-version ?

No, in $bindir that's just a shell script. It's in $libdir.
The executable is ghc; ghc-version is a directory containing
object files compiled from libraries.

Thanks,
Yitz
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org

Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Carter Schonwald | 9 Oct 21:11 2013

Re: Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

NB: I'm told that building ghc with integer-simple doesn't  work on linux?! (though the person who told me this may not have filed a ticket about this on trac, so i'm not sure if its still an issue with ghc head or not )

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald <at> gmail.com> wrote:
there seem to be two main approaches (which both require some testing)

1) build ghc with integer-simple

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> You may need to resort to
> strace to find out what's trying to pull in libgmp.so.whatever.

I don't know how to do that. And anyway, I don't have access to
the machine on which the customer is reporting this. I do believe
the report - there is no compilation going on here, they are
only running our GHC-compiled binary. They know nothing
about GHC (not even that we are using it).

I was hoping that there would be some general knowledge about
this so I could just pass it on to our customers. But I see everyone
else is as surprised as I am about a supposedly static GHC-compiled
binary requiring a libgmp.so to run.

> Unless this
> program is like xmonad and requires ghc behind the scenes to build
> something, in which case you would indeed need everything that ghc requires
> (and, of course, ghc itself).

No definitely not.

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>> I suspect the OP's exectuable is already being compiled static.

I compiled it static.

Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> Yes; which leaves the question of why it requires libgmp.so, and if it's
>> static the only things I can think of are (a) it's using dlopen(), or (b)
>> it's running something else that is not static and requires libgmp.so.

Right.

Could a dependent library be causing this? For example, this
program depends on direct-sqlite, which in turn links to
sqlite via FFI. It also depends on wai, which pulls in quite a few
indirect dependencies.

If so - how would I investigate this and get a complete list of
the system libraries that customers are required to install
as prerequisites?

Jens Petersen wrote:
> You built ghc yourself?

No. It is the generic Linux binary tarball from GHC HQ.

> And ran ldd on $bindir/ghc or  $libdir/ghc-version ?

No, in $bindir that's just a shell script. It's in $libdir.
The executable is ghc; ghc-version is a directory containing
object files compiled from libraries.

Thanks,