Adrian Victor Crisciu | 21 Aug 14:26 2014
Picon

hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

Hi,

I tried to upgrade from hmatrix 0.15.2.1 to hmatrix-0.16.0.4 and both cabal install and cabal configure complained about missing blas and lapack libraries. However, I do have those libraries installed, and I passed their locations through --extra-include-dirs and --extra-lib-dirs with no results.

I use cabal 1.20.0.3, ghc 7.8.2 and gcc 4.4.4 on a Slackware-13.1 64-bit linux box.

Any idea of what is going wrong (and how to correct it?)

Thanks,
Adrian-Victor.

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Michael Snoyman | 21 Aug 15:15 2014

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem




On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Adrian Victor Crisciu <acrisciu <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I tried to upgrade from hmatrix 0.15.2.1 to hmatrix-0.16.0.4 and both cabal install and cabal configure complained about missing blas and lapack libraries. However, I do have those libraries installed, and I passed their locations through --extra-include-dirs and --extra-lib-dirs with no results.

I use cabal 1.20.0.3, ghc 7.8.2 and gcc 4.4.4 on a Slackware-13.1 64-bit linux box.

Any idea of what is going wrong (and how to correct it?)

Thanks,
Adrian-Victor.



A report like this is much easier to answer if it includes the actual command you ran and its output.

Michael
_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Adrian Victor Crisciu | 21 Aug 15:22 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

Sorry!

This is the the failed cabal install command and its output: The blas (libcblas.so) and lapack (both liblapack.a and liblapack.so) are in /usr/local/lib64, so they can be easily found. And the configure script for other software did found them.

cabal install --enable-documentation hmatrix

Resolving dependencies...
Configuring hmatrix-0.16.0.4...
cabal: Missing dependencies on foreign libraries:
* Missing C libraries: blas, lapack
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system packages that
provide these libraries (you may need the "-dev" versions). If the libraries
are already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the
flags --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where they are.
Failed to install hmatrix-0.16.0.4
cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
hmatrix-0.16.0.4 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

Adrian-Victor
_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Edward Z. Yang | 21 Aug 15:29 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

Hello Adrian,

Are the header files for blas and lapack on your system? (I'm not sure
what the configure script for other software was checking for.)

Edward

Excerpts from Adrian Victor Crisciu's message of 2014-08-21 14:22:58 +0100:
> Sorry!
> 
> This is the the failed cabal install command and its output: The blas
> (libcblas.so) and lapack (both liblapack.a and liblapack.so) are in
> /usr/local/lib64, so they can be easily found. And the configure script for
> other software did found them.
> 
> cabal install --enable-documentation hmatrix
> 
> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring hmatrix-0.16.0.4...
> cabal: Missing dependencies on foreign libraries:
> * Missing C libraries: blas, lapack
> This problem can usually be solved by installing the system packages that
> provide these libraries (you may need the "-dev" versions). If the libraries
> are already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the
> flags --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where they are.
> Failed to install hmatrix-0.16.0.4
> cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
> hmatrix-0.16.0.4 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
> 
> Adrian-Victor
Adrian Victor Crisciu | 21 Aug 15:34 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

Hi,

Yes, they are in /usr/local/include. Moreover, /usr/local/lib64 is a symbolic link to /usr/local/lib (as may system is a 64-bit anyway), so the libraries should be found regardless of the path they are searched on.

I have atlas-3.3.8 and lapack-3.4.0. Are newer versions required?

Thanks!
Adrian.
_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Carter Schonwald | 22 Aug 00:38 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

You need to pass cabal the extra includes and extra lib dirs flags with the explicit paths to the lib and include folders that have your blas and lapack.  The logic in hmatrix can only check stadard paths. 

On Thursday, August 21, 2014, Adrian Victor Crisciu <acrisciu <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Yes, they are in /usr/local/include. Moreover, /usr/local/lib64 is a symbolic link to /usr/local/lib (as may system is a 64-bit anyway), so the libraries should be found regardless of the path they are searched on.

I have atlas-3.3.8 and lapack-3.4.0. Are newer versions required?

Thanks!
Adrian.
_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Adrian Victor Crisciu | 22 Aug 11:55 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

I tried the following command line:

cabal install --enable-documentation --extra-include-dirs=/usr;local/include --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/local/lib hmatrix

and got the following:

Resolving dependencies...
Configuring hmatrix-0.16.0.4...
cabal: Missing dependencies on foreign libraries:
* Missing C libraries: blas, lapack
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system packages that
provide these libraries (you may need the "-dev" versions). If the libraries
are already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the
flags --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where they are.
Failed to install hmatrix-0.16.0.4
cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
hmatrix-0.16.0.4 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

As I said before, the libraries for blas and lapack ARE in /usr/local/lib and the header files ARE in /usr/local/include.

Is it possible for hmatrix to look for another version of atlas/blas and lapack? I have installed atlas-3.3.8 and lapack-3.4.0

Adrian.

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Carter Schonwald | 22 Aug 16:34 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

What Linux distro?  If you're on an unusual distro  You might just need to patch the build process to look up the right names. 


Also have you contacted the hmatrix maintainer to ask him for help. HMATRIX does have an issue tracker on github etc

On Friday, August 22, 2014, Adrian Victor Crisciu <acrisciu <at> gmail.com> wrote:
I tried the following command line:

cabal install --enable-documentation --extra-include-dirs=/usr;local/include --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/local/lib hmatrix

and got the following:

Resolving dependencies...
Configuring hmatrix-0.16.0.4...
cabal: Missing dependencies on foreign libraries:
* Missing C libraries: blas, lapack
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system packages that
provide these libraries (you may need the "-dev" versions). If the libraries
are already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the
flags --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where they are.
Failed to install hmatrix-0.16.0.4
cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
hmatrix-0.16.0.4 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

As I said before, the libraries for blas and lapack ARE in /usr/local/lib and the header files ARE in /usr/local/include.

Is it possible for hmatrix to look for another version of atlas/blas and lapack? I have installed atlas-3.3.8 and lapack-3.4.0

Adrian.

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Edward Z. Yang | 22 Aug 16:38 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

Excerpts from Adrian Victor Crisciu's message of 2014-08-22 10:55:00 +0100:
> I tried the following command line:
> 
> cabal install --enable-documentation
> --extra-include-dirs=/usr;local/include --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/local/lib
> hmatrix

Is that semicolon a typo?

Edward
Brandon Allbery | 22 Aug 17:02 2014
Picon

Re: hmatrix-0.16.0.4 installation problem

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Edward Z. Yang <ezyang <at> mit.edu> wrote:
> cabal install --enable-documentation
> --extra-include-dirs=/usr;local/include --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/local/lib
> hmatrix

Is that semicolon a typo?

It kinda has to be, they'd have gotten rather more interesting errors otherwise.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
allbery.b <at> gmail.com                                  ballbery <at> sinenomine.net
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users

Gmane