Gwern Branwen | 2 Jan 14:32 2010
Picon

Re: X11 missing source repo(?)

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Evan Martin <martine <at> danga.com> wrote:
> I'd like to make a patch for the X11 package.
>
> I found http://hackage.haskell.org/package/X11 , which references
> http://code.haskell.org/X11/ , which appears to be empty.  Did
> something go wrong?
>
> If it helps any, the change is trivial (just want to get at the Visual
> pointer from another package, much in the way Display and Screen are
> exposed).
> I'd be happy to make a Darcs format patch if you'd prefer that.

The old repo is at *darcs*.haskell.org; it's apparently being moved to
c.h.o (so as to be able to give more people the commit-bit), but
hasn't yet been actually moved.

gwern
Evan Martin | 2 Jan 17:30 2010

Re: X11 missing source repo(?)

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Evan Martin <martine <at> danga.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to make a patch for the X11 package.
>>
>> I found http://hackage.haskell.org/package/X11 , which references
>> http://code.haskell.org/X11/ , which appears to be empty.  Did
>> something go wrong?
>>
>> If it helps any, the change is trivial (just want to get at the Visual
>> pointer from another package, much in the way Display and Screen are
>> exposed).
>> I'd be happy to make a Darcs format patch if you'd prefer that.
>
> The old repo is at *darcs*.haskell.org; it's apparently being moved to
> c.h.o (so as to be able to give more people the commit-bit), but
> hasn't yet been actually moved.

Thanks.  Same patch now attached.

Having written this, what would probably be even cleaner is to have
 - Graphics.X11.Xlib.Types expose abstract Display, Visual etc and
their typeclass instances
 - an extra Graphics.X11.Xlib.Internals that provides functions to go
from Display -> Ptr Display, etc

However, this would be both a non-backwards-compatible change
(currently Display is exposed as a newtype) and I lack the Haskell-fu
to write such a change (like, the newtype would need to go into
.Internals but then the deriving declaration should be in .Types?).
(Continue reading)

Don Stewart | 10 Jan 02:38 2010

Re: X11 missing source repo(?)

Send patches to me against the new X11 repo at http://code.haskell.org/X11

martine:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Evan Martin <martine <at> danga.com> wrote:
> >> I'd like to make a patch for the X11 package.
> >>
> >> I found http://hackage.haskell.org/package/X11 , which references
> >> http://code.haskell.org/X11/ , which appears to be empty.  Did
> >> something go wrong?
> >>
> >> If it helps any, the change is trivial (just want to get at the Visual
> >> pointer from another package, much in the way Display and Screen are
> >> exposed).
> >> I'd be happy to make a Darcs format patch if you'd prefer that.
> >
> > The old repo is at *darcs*.haskell.org; it's apparently being moved to
> > c.h.o (so as to be able to give more people the commit-bit), but
> > hasn't yet been actually moved.
>
> Thanks.  Same patch now attached.
>

> Having written this, what would probably be even cleaner is to have
>  - Graphics.X11.Xlib.Types expose abstract Display, Visual etc and
> their typeclass instances
>  - an extra Graphics.X11.Xlib.Internals that provides functions to go
> from Display -> Ptr Display, etc
>
> However, this would be both a non-backwards-compatible change
(Continue reading)

Duncan Coutts | 12 Jan 12:05 2010

Re: X11 missing source repo(?)

On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 17:38 -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
> Send patches to me against the new X11 repo at http://code.haskell.org/X11

If you feel you can make X11 require "cabal-version: >=1.6" then you can
add a source repo section to the .cabal file and thereby reduce
confusion about where the sources live (the link also gets displayed on
the hackage page).

Duncan

Gmane