Edward Kmett | 27 Jul 21:06 2012

Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

There is currently no way to know whether or not calling Data.Bits.bitSize will crash your program.

I propose extending the Bits class to include:

hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool

such that it returns False for Integer and True for the other instances

since the vast majority of instances are finite, it may be reasonable to set the default definition to

hasBitSize _ = False

Discussion Period: 2 weeks
Ian Lynagh | 27 Jul 21:42 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
> There is currently no way to know whether or not calling
> Data.Bits.bitSizewill crash your program.
> I propose extending the Bits class to include:
> hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool
> such that it returns False for Integer and True for the other instances

Can you give an example of a situation in which you would use
hasBitSize, and do something useful if it returned False?

Would it be better to move bitSize into a separate class?

> since the vast majority of instances are finite, it may be reasonable to
> set the default definition to
> hasBitSize _ = False

Did you mean True?

Either way, I think I would personally prefer not to have a default, so
that people need to actually check existing instances.

Thanks
Ian
Edward Kmett | 27 Jul 22:24 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
> There is currently no way to know whether or not calling
> Data.Bits.bitSizewill crash your program.
> I propose extending the Bits class to include:
> hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool
> such that it returns False for Integer and True for the other instances

Can you give an example of a situation in which you would use
hasBitSize, and do something useful if it returned False?

The following can only work if bitSize is well defined.

traverseBits :: (Applicative f, Bits b) => (Bool -> f Bool) -> b -> f b
traverseBits f b = snd . Prelude.foldr step (bitSize b - 1,0) <$> traverse (f . testBit b) [0 .. bitSize b - 1] where
  step True (n,r) = (n - 1, setBit r n)
  step _    (n,r) = (n - 1, r)

to work around this I've had to use:

traverseBits :: (Applicative f, Bits b) => (Bool -> f Bool) -> b -> f b
traverseBits f b = Prelude.foldr step 0 <$> traverse g bits
  where
    g n      = (,) n <$> f (testBit b n)
    bits     = Prelude.takeWhile hasBit [0..]
    hasBit n = complementBit b n /= b -- test to make sure that complementing this bit actually changes the value
    step (n,True) r = setBit r n
    step _        r = r

where I'm manually probing each bit to see that changing it changes the value.

Used with the other combinators in lens the former just crashes when you use

foldMapOf :: ((c -> Const m d) -> a -> Const m b) -> (c -> m) -> a -> m
foldMapOf l f = getConst . l (Const . f)

toListOf :: ((c -> Const [c] d) -> a -> Const [c] b) -> a -> [c]
toListOf l = foldMapOf l return

Now when we use it with an explicit signature both of these can do reasonable things:

ghci> toListOf traverseBits (5 :: Int)
[True,False,True,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False,False]

But with defaulting choosing Integer
ghci> toListOf traverseBits 5

the former instance will crash, whereas the latter properly returns an infinite lazy list

It would be much nicer not to have to probe using complementBit creating ever larger temporary integers just to see if the list of valid bit positions hadn't been exhausted.

Then I could test at the start to know whether I should use [0..] or [0..bitSize-1] and get away with much less code and much less unnecessary memory allocation.

-Edward

Would it be better to move bitSize into a separate class?

I don't think so. Ultimately, you should be able to know for every numeric type if it has a fixed or variable number of bits. In a perfect world 'd rather just have bitSize return a Maybe that way we don't have to truck with partial functions in the API.

However, the case for just adding hasBitSize is that it avoids breaking existing code.

> since the vast majority of instances are finite, it may be reasonable to
> set the default definition to
> hasBitSize _ = False

Did you mean True?

Either way, I think I would personally prefer not to have a default, so
that people need to actually check existing instances.

Also perfectly reasonable.

-Edward
John Lato | 28 Jul 16:40 2012

> From: Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>> > There is currently no way to know whether or not calling
>> > Data.Bits.bitSizewill crash your program.
>> > I propose extending the Bits class to include:
>> > hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool
>> > such that it returns False for Integer and True for the other instances
> Would it be better to move bitSize into a separate class?
> I don't think so. Ultimately, you should be able to know for every numeric
> type if it has a fixed or variable number of bits. In a perfect world 'd
> rather just have bitSize return a Maybe that way we don't have to truck
> with partial functions in the API.
> However, the case for just adding hasBitSize is that it avoids breaking
> existing code.

Given that existing code using bitSize can already cause a crash when
used with Integer or other infinite types, wouldn't it be better to
break existing code so authors can fix (or at least examine) their use
of bitSize?

I'm in favor of changing the type of bitSize, although since none of
my code uses that function it's an easy position for me to take.

John L.
Andreas Abel | 28 Jul 18:57 2012

On 28.07.12 4:40 PM, John Lato wrote:
>> From: Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com>
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>>>> There is currently no way to know whether or not calling
>>>> Data.Bits.bitSizewill crash your program.
>>>>
>>>> I propose extending the Bits class to include:
>>>>
>>>> hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool
> I'm in favor of changing the type of bitSize, although since none of
> my code uses that function it's an easy position for me to take.

+1.  The Haskellish solution would let return bitSize a Maybe.

Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich
Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de
Lennart Augustsson | 29 Jul 02:11 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

Don't add hasBitSize, add perhapsBitSize (or some other name) which returns a Maybe, and then bitSize can be deprecated.

-- Lennart

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Andreas Abel <andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de> wrote:
On 28.07.12 4:40 PM, John Lato wrote:
From: Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
There is currently no way to know whether or not calling
Data.Bits.bitSizewill crash your program.

I propose extending the Bits class to include:

hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool

I'm in favor of changing the type of bitSize, although since none of
my code uses that function it's an easy position for me to take.

+1.  The Haskellish solution would let return bitSize a Maybe.

Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich
Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de

Antoine Latter | 29 Jul 02:33 2012

> On 28.07.12 4:40 PM, John Lato wrote:
>>> From: Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com>
>>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li> wrote:
>>>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> There is currently no way to know whether or not calling
>>>>> Data.Bits.bitSizewill crash your program.
>>>>>
>>>>> I propose extending the Bits class to include:
>>>>>
>>>>> hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool
>> I'm in favor of changing the type of bitSize, although since none of
>> my code uses that function it's an easy position for me to take.
> +1.  The Haskellish solution would let return bitSize a Maybe.

Is 'bitSize' a useful function to use monomorphically? It seems a
waste and irritating to have it return Maybe if I'm not using
Integer.

Antoine
Thomas DuBuisson | 29 Jul 16:37 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Antoine Latter <aslatter <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Andreas Abel <andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de> wrote:
>> On 28.07.12 4:40 PM, John Lato wrote:
>>>>
>>>> From: Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com>
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> There is currently no way to know whether or not calling
>>>>>> Data.Bits.bitSizewill crash your program.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I propose extending the Bits class to include:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> hasBitSize :: Bits b => b -> Bool
>>>
>>> I'm in favor of changing the type of bitSize, although since none of
>>> my code uses that function it's an easy position for me to take.
>> +1.  The Haskellish solution would let return bitSize a Maybe.
> Is 'bitSize' a useful function to use monomorphically? It seems a
> waste and irritating to have it return Maybe if I'm not using
> Integer.

That is a great point.  Most my uses of 'bitSize' are monomorphic and
Maybe would just be silly.  OTOH, I'd be more than happy to fix up any
polymorphic code to include a new BitSize constraint.

Thomas
Thomas Schilling | 29 Jul 17:37 2012

>> Is 'bitSize' a useful function to use monomorphically? It seems a
>> waste and irritating to have it return Maybe if I'm not using
>> Integer.
> That is a great point.  Most my uses of 'bitSize' are monomorphic and
> Maybe would just be silly.  OTOH, I'd be more than happy to fix up any
> polymorphic code to include a new BitSize constraint.

To make sure I understand this correctly:

The current problem is that bitSize is a partial function *depending
on the type* of its argument (currently it always returns _|_ for
Integer, and is total for any other type). That does indeed seem like
a Bad Idea.

You propose to:

1. Remove "bitSize" from the Bits class.
  2. Add a new class BitSize which only contains the "bitSize" method.
Integer would not be an instance of this class.

So, then:

- I assume we want a deprecation cycle.  How, will that work?
  - Do we have a formal definition of what bitSize means? E.g.,
could/should a (finite) ByteString be made an instance of this?

/ Thomas
Thomas DuBuisson | 29 Jul 18:20 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Thomas Schilling
<nominolo <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> To make sure I understand this correctly:
> The current problem is that bitSize is a partial function *depending
> on the type* of its argument (currently it always returns _|_ for
> Integer, and is total for any other type). That does indeed seem like
> a Bad Idea.
> You propose to:
>   1. Remove "bitSize" from the Bits class.
>   2. Add a new class BitSize which only contains the "bitSize" method.
> Integer would not be an instance of this class.

Yes, that is the solution I would support.

> So, then:
>   - I assume we want a deprecation cycle.  How, will that work?

I don't have a good answer to this question.  I'd support the change
even without a normal deprecation cycle, but I'm more flexible than
some.

>   - Do we have a formal definition of what bitSize means? E.g.,
> could/should a (finite) ByteString be made an instance of this?

I think bitSize is already defined as to mean the number of bits used
in the representation of the value.  There are no padding bits and it
does not depend on the value (so passing "undefined :: T" should work
for all instances).  This means ByteString could not be a reasonable
instance.  If, OTOH, we had reifyable type level numerics and a
ByteString-like type that encoded it's length in the type then this
could be an instance.

-The other Thomas
Antoine Latter | 29 Jul 18:37 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Thomas Schilling
<nominolo <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 29 July 2012 15:37, Thomas DuBuisson <thomas.dubuisson <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is 'bitSize' a useful function to use monomorphically? It seems a
>>> waste and irritating to have it return Maybe if I'm not using
>>> Integer.
>> That is a great point.  Most my uses of 'bitSize' are monomorphic and
>> Maybe would just be silly.  OTOH, I'd be more than happy to fix up any
>> polymorphic code to include a new BitSize constraint.
> To make sure I understand this correctly:
> The current problem is that bitSize is a partial function *depending
> on the type* of its argument (currently it always returns _|_ for
> Integer, and is total for any other type). That does indeed seem like
> a Bad Idea.
> You propose to:
>   1. Remove "bitSize" from the Bits class.
>   2. Add a new class BitSize which only contains the "bitSize" method.
> Integer would not be an instance of this class.

The downside to this proposal is that the requester (Edward) actually
wants a function of type "a -> Maybe Int", so his polymorphic function
can handle both infinite bit-types and finite bit-types.

With the new class, Edward could write:

class BitTraversable i where
  traverseBits :: <sometype>

instance (BitSize i) => BitTraversable i where
  traverseBits = <something>

instance BitTraversable Integer where
  traverseBits = <something else>

Antoine
Antoine Latter | 29 Jul 18:38 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Antoine Latter <aslatter <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> The downside to this proposal is that the requester (Edward) actually
> wants a function of type "a -> Maybe Int", so his polymorphic function
> can handle both infinite bit-types and finite bit-types.
> With the new class, Edward could write:
> class BitTraversable i where
>   traverseBits :: <sometype>
> instance (BitSize i) => BitTraversable i where
>   traverseBits = <something>
> instance BitTraversable Integer where
>   traverseBits = <something else>

I should add that this approach looks like it would require
OverlappingInstances.

Antoine
Edward Kmett | 13 Aug 23:38 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Antoine Latter <aslatter <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> The downside to this proposal is that the requester (Edward) actually
> wants a function of type "a -> Maybe Int", so his polymorphic function
> can handle both infinite bit-types and finite bit-types.
> With the new class, Edward could write:
> class BitTraversable i where
>   traverseBits :: <sometype>
> instance (BitSize i) => BitTraversable i where
>   traverseBits = <something>
> instance BitTraversable Integer where
>   traverseBits = <something else>

I should add that this approach looks like it would require
OverlappingInstances.

Correct. This is not a viable solution for the problem, also it precludes the existance of support for someone else's Natural number type, etc.

Changing bitSize to return a Maybe a works. Making a separate BitSize class simply forces me to do exactly what I'm doing right now, which is ignore it and manually probe.

I'm a strong -1 vote to any solution that splits BitSize out into a separate class.

-Edward
Henning Thielemann | 13 Aug 23:48 2012

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Edward Kmett wrote:

> someone else's Natural number type, etc.
> what I'm doing right now, which is ignore it and manually probe.

How about two versions of 'bitSize' - one with Maybe return type in the
Bits class and one without Maybe in a FixedBitSize subclass?

Edward Kmett | 14 Aug 00:08 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

That would work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2012, at 5:48 PM, Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Edward Kmett wrote:
>> Correct. This is not a viable solution for the problem, also it precludes the existance of support for
>> someone else's Natural number type, etc.
>> Every type that is currently an instance of Bits is either of a fixed size or potentially infinite.
>> Changing bitSize to return a Maybe a works. Making a separate BitSize class simply forces me to do exactly
>> what I'm doing right now, which is ignore it and manually probe.
> How about two versions of 'bitSize' - one with Maybe return type in the Bits class and one without Maybe in a
FixedBitSize subclass?
Johan Tibell | 14 Aug 00:13 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Henning Thielemann
<lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> How about two versions of 'bitSize' - one with Maybe return type in the Bits
> class and one without Maybe in a FixedBitSize subclass?

Is this worth breaking existing users of bitSize over? If anything it
seems more worthwhile to throw out Integer from the Bits class and
declare Bits to be for fixed sized entities.
Henning Thielemann | 14 Aug 00:19 2012

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Johan Tibell wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Henning Thielemann
> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>> How about two versions of 'bitSize' - one with Maybe return type in the Bits
>> class and one without Maybe in a FixedBitSize subclass?
> Is this worth breaking existing users of bitSize over?

If the method of 'FixedBitSize' is named 'bitSize' then only the type
signature will be affected (FixedBitSize constraint instead of Bits).
Although I don't know whether this is a good solution.

> If anything it seems more worthwhile to throw out Integer from the Bits
> class and declare Bits to be for fixed sized entities.
Johan Tibell | 14 Aug 00:21 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Henning Thielemann
<lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Henning Thielemann
>> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>> How about two versions of 'bitSize' - one with Maybe return type in the
>>> Bits
>>> class and one without Maybe in a FixedBitSize subclass?
>> Is this worth breaking existing users of bitSize over?
> If the method of 'FixedBitSize' is named 'bitSize' then only the type
> signature will be affected (FixedBitSize constraint instead of Bits).
> Although I don't know whether this is a good solution.

Imports will have to be modified as well if Bits keeps the name
'bitSize' for its method.

In general these kind of breakages has been very painful in the past.
Most libraries need to support the last two or three released versions
of GHC (and thus base) so breaking changes like this are likely to
result in lots of #ifdefs in client code to paper over the
differences. Perhaps I'm getting old and cranky but I more in the
never-break-anything camp than I used to be.

-- Johan
Henning Thielemann | 14 Aug 00:26 2012

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Johan Tibell wrote:

>> If the method of 'FixedBitSize' is named 'bitSize' then only the type
>> signature will be affected (FixedBitSize constraint instead of Bits).
>> Although I don't know whether this is a good solution.
> Imports will have to be modified as well if Bits keeps the name
> 'bitSize' for its method.
> In general these kind of breakages has been very painful in the past.
> Most libraries need to support the last two or three released versions
> of GHC (and thus base) so breaking changes like this are likely to
> result in lots of #ifdefs in client code to paper over the
> differences.

That's true. How about keeping 'bitSize' as it is, maybe deprecate it in
the future, add maybeBitSize to Bits class and add a new class
FixedBitSize with method fixedBitSize?
Johan Tibell | 14 Aug 00:41 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Henning Thielemann
<lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Henning Thielemann
>> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>> If the method of 'FixedBitSize' is named 'bitSize' then only the type
>>> signature will be affected (FixedBitSize constraint instead of Bits).
>>> Although I don't know whether this is a good solution.
>> Imports will have to be modified as well if Bits keeps the name
>> 'bitSize' for its method.
>> In general these kind of breakages has been very painful in the past.
>> Most libraries need to support the last two or three released versions
>> of GHC (and thus base) so breaking changes like this are likely to
>> result in lots of #ifdefs in client code to paper over the
>> differences.
> That's true. How about keeping 'bitSize' as it is, maybe deprecate it in the
> future, add maybeBitSize to Bits class and add a new class FixedBitSize with
> method fixedBitSize?

This sounds more reasonably to me. I don't particularly need a
fixedBitSize method, but if people have uses for it go ahead.
Edward Kmett | 14 Aug 00:44 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

I'd be okay with this version of things as well.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2012, at 6:26 PM, Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>> If the method of 'FixedBitSize' is named 'bitSize' then only the type
>>> signature will be affected (FixedBitSize constraint instead of Bits).
>>> Although I don't know whether this is a good solution.
>> Imports will have to be modified as well if Bits keeps the name
>> 'bitSize' for its method.
>> In general these kind of breakages has been very painful in the past.
>> Most libraries need to support the last two or three released versions
>> of GHC (and thus base) so breaking changes like this are likely to
>> result in lots of #ifdefs in client code to paper over the
>> differences.
> That's true. How about keeping 'bitSize' as it is, maybe deprecate it in the future, add maybeBitSize to
Bits class and add a new class FixedBitSize with method fixedBitSize?
Edward Kmett | 14 Aug 00:42 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

bitSize -- I know at least one of my modules for working with boolean rings would have be scrapped.

local instances to get back behavior the previously had available.

Given my druthers at this point I'd go for:

class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
   bitSize :: b -> Int
   bitSize = fromJust . perhapsBitSize

class Bits b where
    perhapsBitSize :: b -> Maybe Int
    ...

that never touched bitSize can continue to work, existing users that called bitSize but could only handle
finite cases can change to FiniteBits and doesn't need to take a performance hit or fiddling with the Just
constructor, and code that can work for the infinite case if it didn't crap out with bottom can safely
upgrade to perhapsBitSize.

unnecessarily, however.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Henning Thielemann
> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>> How about two versions of 'bitSize' - one with Maybe return type in the Bits
>> class and one without Maybe in a FixedBitSize subclass?
> Is this worth breaking existing users of bitSize over? If anything it
> seems more worthwhile to throw out Integer from the Bits class and
> declare Bits to be for fixed sized entities.
Thomas DuBuisson | 14 Aug 00:51 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Throwing Integer out of Bits seems more prone to induce breakage than providing a more accurate type for
> It is also likely to force users who wanted the bit operations they already had on Integer to create wonky
local instances to get back behavior the previously had available.
> Given my druthers at this point I'd go for:
> Making a subclass to move the existing bitSize to, replete with a default definition.
> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>    bitSize :: b -> Int
>    bitSize = fromJust . perhapsBitSize
> and adding the perhapsBitSize Lennart suggested to BitSize to replace the moved bitSize:
> class Bits b where
>     perhapsBitSize :: b -> Maybe Int
>     ...

I know I've been quite after stirring up some of this discussion.  In
general I am happy with this suggestion from Edward (+1) and am
willing to fix up any breakage in my libraries, though I feel like
much of this debate is due to insufficient type class machinery in the
language that we should discuss some day.

Thomas

> Then code that only works for finite cases can use bitSize, code that already worked with infinite cases
upgrade to perhapsBitSize.
> I am not wedded to the perhapsBitSize name. I am wedded to not losing existing functionality
unnecessarily, however.
> Sent from my iPhone
> On Aug 13, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Henning Thielemann
>> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>> How about two versions of 'bitSize' - one with Maybe return type in the Bits
>>> class and one without Maybe in a FixedBitSize subclass?
>> Is this worth breaking existing users of bitSize over? If anything it
>> seems more worthwhile to throw out Integer from the Bits class and
>> declare Bits to be for fixed sized entities.
Johan Tibell | 14 Aug 01:08 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
upgrade to perhapsBitSize.

This will still break client code though. The #ifdefs would then have
to go in the import lists instead. I like Lennart's suggestion to
deprecate 'bitSize' but not remove it.
Ian Lynagh | 22 Aug 23:19 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 06:42:54PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
> class Bits b where
>     perhapsBitSize :: b -> Maybe Int
>     ...
> I am not wedded to the perhapsBitSize name

I've lost track of where this proposal is, but if we do end up with a
Maybe function then I think it should be called maybeBitSize or
bitSizeMaybe. The only analogous example in the core libraries that I
can think of OTTOMH is Text.Read.readMaybe.

Thanks
IAn
Edward Kmett | 23 Aug 01:49 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

To summarize the design we've converged upon during the discussion period for Ian:

We want to add

> class Bits b where
>     bitSizeMaybe :: b -> Maybe Int

and deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:

> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>    finiteBitSize = bitSize

The former permits safer access to bitSize while allowing applications that can deal with infinite structures to run, the latter permits safer access to bitSize while allowing applications that cannot deal with infinite structures to know that they aren't dealing with Integer or somebody's Natural data type.

-Edward

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 06:42:54PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
> class Bits b where
>     perhapsBitSize :: b -> Maybe Int
>     ...
> I am not wedded to the perhapsBitSize name

I've lost track of where this proposal is, but if we do end up with a
Maybe function then I think it should be called maybeBitSize or
bitSizeMaybe. The only analogous example in the core libraries that I
can think of OTTOMH is Text.Read.readMaybe.

Thanks
IAn

Ian Lynagh | 26 Aug 22:38 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
> deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
> > class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
> >    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
> >    finiteBitSize = bitSize

Isn't giving that default implementation a bad idea? Any instance that
uses it wiill just break when the deprecated bitSize is removed.

Thanks
Ian
Henning Thielemann | 26 Aug 22:53 2012

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>> deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>>>    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>>>    finiteBitSize = bitSize

Bit size is always finite in strict data types, isn't it? I suggest a name
containing "Fixed".
Edward Kmett | 27 Aug 17:22 2012

FixedBits?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 26, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>>> deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
>>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>>>>   finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>>>>   finiteBitSize = bitSize
> Bit size is always finite in strict data types, isn't it? I suggest a name containing "Fixed".
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Ben Millwood | 28 Aug 18:07 2012

Wouldn't it be possible to have an instance Bits ByteString, or Vector
Bool or something, where the bitsize would depend on the bytestring
length, and hence wouldn't be fixed?

(although if we're catering for that sort of use, the docs will need

> containing "Fixed".
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Thomas DuBuisson | 28 Aug 18:18 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be possible to have an instance Bits ByteString, or Vector
> Bool or something, where the bitsize would depend on the bytestring
> length, and hence wouldn't be fixed?

You mean like NumLazyByteString [1]?  Not only possible but its done
at least once (poorly) and deprecated.

[1] hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/NumLazyByteString/0.0.0.1/doc/html/src/Data-ByteString-Lazy-Num.html

> (although if we're catering for that sort of use, the docs will need
> to be changed)
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Henning Thielemann
> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
>>>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>>>>
>>>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>>>>>    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>>>>>    finiteBitSize = bitSize
>> Bit size is always finite in strict data types, isn't it? I suggest a name
>> containing "Fixed".
>> _______________________________________________
>> Libraries mailing list
>> Libraries <at> haskell.org
>> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Edward Kmett | 28 Aug 19:18 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

The problem is that right now bitSize is deliberately excluded from looking at its argument to determine the number of bits in it. You _really_ want a different combinator. Almost every user of bitSize is passing it undefined, not a real value.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible to have an instance Bits ByteString, or Vector
Bool or something, where the bitsize would depend on the bytestring
length, and hence wouldn't be fixed?

(although if we're catering for that sort of use, the docs will need

this new typeclass anyway, and bitSize is being deprecated. So why not
stop excluding it from looking at its argument? Now's a better time
than later to do so :)

(Sorry this is late; I was originally going to comment to Henning that
we hadn't necessarily agreed on Fixed because of my argument, but then
realised someone had objected to my argument, but then realised that
that objection was possibly invalid).

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that right now bitSize is deliberately excluded from looking
> at its argument to determine the number of bits in it. You _really_ want a
> different combinator. Almost every user of bitSize is passing it undefined,
> not a real value.
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be possible to have an instance Bits ByteString, or Vector
>> Bool or something, where the bitsize would depend on the bytestring
>> length, and hence wouldn't be fixed?
>> (although if we're catering for that sort of use, the docs will need
>> _______________________________________________
>> Libraries mailing list
>> Libraries <at> haskell.org
>> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Edward Kmett | 24 Sep 05:42 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
Hold on, we /do/ get a different combinator, because we're introducing
this new typeclass anyway, and bitSize is being deprecated. So why not
stop excluding it from looking at its argument? Now's a better time
than later to do so :)

I'm rather strongly against this idea. Personally, I think a version of this that counts up "how many bits something actually has given a particular value" is a very different operation. Every application I currently have quite frankly doesn't have a value lying around to pass and it would render the operation useless to many (most?) of its current consumers.

A large part of the motivation for the second method was that it didn't have to box and unbox a Maybe, e.g. for HAMTs, that may not know the number of bits they can fit in, say, an Int on a given platform and many of the combinators are constructing an mask out of whole cloth given only the type.

It strikes me as a bit of a rule of thumb on what is in base that the classes that are there are the things needed to implement the types that are there. There currently isn't a type in base that needs this extra behavior, so I think it would be reasonable that the method and class live in a module related somehow to the use-case. I don't object to creating yet another class somewhere.

I just don't know that it belongs in base or should complicate an already complicated proposal/implementation, and I definitely think it is a different method than the one we've been talking about so far.

-Edward

(Sorry this is late; I was originally going to comment to Henning that
we hadn't necessarily agreed on Fixed because of my argument, but then
realised someone had objected to my argument, but then realised that
that objection was possibly invalid).

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that right now bitSize is deliberately excluded from looking
> at its argument to determine the number of bits in it. You _really_ want a
> different combinator. Almost every user of bitSize is passing it undefined,
> not a real value.
> wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be possible to have an instance Bits ByteString, or Vector
>> Bool or something, where the bitsize would depend on the bytestring
>> length, and hence wouldn't be fixed?
>> (although if we're catering for that sort of use, the docs will need
>> _______________________________________________
>> Libraries mailing list
>> Libraries <at> haskell.org
>> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries

Ben Millwood | 24 Sep 06:24 2012

Re: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits

Well, okay, fair enough. The way you originally phrased it made it
sound like the current design was a problem that we regrettably had to
live with, but if it's actually what you want then I won't argue with
that.

In which case FixedBits sounds like a good idea. I don't think
FiniteBits is sufficiently bad an idea to worry about it, though.
(In any case, I'm not sure Henning's assertion that strict types have
finite bits is correct: after all, bitSize appears to be about the
capacity of the type, rather than how many bits it uses, so in the
case of Integer there is no finite size limit).

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Hold on, we /do/ get a different combinator, because we're introducing
>> this new typeclass anyway, and bitSize is being deprecated. So why not
>> stop excluding it from looking at its argument? Now's a better time
>> than later to do so :)
> I'm rather strongly against this idea. Personally, I think a version of this
> that counts up "how many bits something actually has given a particular
> value" is a very different operation. Every application I currently have
> quite frankly doesn't have a value lying around to pass and it would render
> the operation useless to many (most?) of its current consumers.
> A large part of the motivation for the second method was that it didn't have
> to box and unbox a Maybe, e.g. for HAMTs, that may not know the number of
> bits they can fit in, say, an Int on a given platform and many of the
> combinators are constructing an mask out of whole cloth given only the type.
> It strikes me as a bit of a rule of thumb on what is in base that the
> classes that are there are the things needed to implement the types that are
> there. There currently isn't a type in base that needs this extra behavior,
> so I think it would be reasonable that the method and class live in a module
> related somehow to the use-case. I don't object to creating yet another
> class somewhere.
> I just don't know that it belongs in base or should complicate an already
> complicated proposal/implementation, and I definitely think it is a
> different method than the one we've been talking about so far.
> -Edward
>> (Sorry this is late; I was originally going to comment to Henning that
>> we hadn't necessarily agreed on Fixed because of my argument, but then
>> realised someone had objected to my argument, but then realised that
>> that objection was possibly invalid).
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The problem is that right now bitSize is deliberately excluded from
>> > looking
>> > at its argument to determine the number of bits in it. You _really_ want
>> > a
>> > different combinator. Almost every user of bitSize is passing it
>> > undefined,
>> > not a real value.
>> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Ben Millwood
>> > <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk>
>> > wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Wouldn't it be possible to have an instance Bits ByteString, or Vector
>> >> Bool or something, where the bitsize would depend on the bytestring
>> >> length, and hence wouldn't be fixed?
>> >>
>> >> (although if we're catering for that sort of use, the docs will need
>> >> to be changed)
>> >>
>> >> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Henning Thielemann
>> >> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> > On Sun, 26 Aug 2012, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>> deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a
>> >> >>> separate
>> >> >>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>> >> >>>>    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>> >> >>>>    finiteBitSize = bitSize
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Bit size is always finite in strict data types, isn't it? I suggest a
>> >> > name
>> >> > containing "Fixed".
>> >> >

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>> deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>>>   finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>>>   finiteBitSize = bitSize
> Isn't giving that default implementation a bad idea? Any instance that
> uses it wiill just break when the deprecated bitSize is removed.
> Thanks
> Ian
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Ian Lynagh | 23 Sep 23:44 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
> We want to add
> > class Bits b where
> >     bitSizeMaybe :: b -> Maybe Int
> and deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
> > class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
> >    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
> >    finiteBitSize = bitSize

I've just pushed a patch implementing what I think the conclusion was.
Please let me know if you think I got it wrong.

Thanks
Ian
Henning Thielemann | 24 Sep 01:28 2012

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>> We want to add
>>> class Bits b where
>>>     bitSizeMaybe :: b -> Maybe Int
>> and deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>>>    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>>>    finiteBitSize = bitSize
> I've just pushed a patch implementing what I think the conclusion was.
> Please let me know if you think I got it wrong.

My last comment was, that FiniteBits is not an appropriate name, and then
we arrived at FixedBits:
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 18 Sep 13:56 2013

bitSize/bitSizeMaybe (was: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits)

On 2012-09-24 at 01:28:20 +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>>> We want to add
>>>> class Bits b where
>>>>     bitSizeMaybe :: b -> Maybe Int
>>> and deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
>>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>>>>    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>>>>    finiteBitSize = bitSize
>> I've just pushed a patch implementing what I think the conclusion was.
>> Please let me know if you think I got it wrong.
> My last comment was, that FiniteBits is not an appropriate name, and
> then we arrived at FixedBits:
>    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2012-August/018349.html

As it stands, the current implementation state is at

Now I have two questions:

1.) Currently, bitSizeMaybe and bitSize have no default implementation
     defined. Shall we define mutually recursive default implementations
     for these two functions to help smooth the transition?

e.g. in the style (just an example, not an actual proposal) of:

bitSize = fromJust . bitSizeMaybe

bitSizeMaybe = Just . bitSize

2.) As it's probably not to late to easily fix any bikeshedding/naming
     issues: Shall the naming remain as implemented?

hvr
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 18 Sep 14:07 2013

Re: bitSize/bitSizeMaybe

On 2013-09-18 at 13:56:22 +0200, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

[...]

> As it stands, the current implementation state is at
>  http://git.haskell.org/packages/base.git/commitdiff/cddc9024e67a6d4c01bb190839d0134af8c907e0
> Now I have two questions:
>  1.) Currently, bitSizeMaybe and bitSize have no default implementation
>      defined. Shall we define mutually recursive default implementations
>      for these two functions to help smooth the transition?
>      e.g. in the style (just an example, not an actual proposal) of:
>        bitSize = fromJust . bitSizeMaybe
>        bitSizeMaybe = Just . bitSize
>  2.) As it's probably not to late to easily fix any bikeshedding/naming
>      issues: Shall the naming remain as implemented?

PS:

3.) What's the benefit of having the super-class constraint on

class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
            finiteBitSize :: b -> Int

?
Edward Kmett | 18 Sep 17:18 2013

Re: bitSize/bitSizeMaybe

The benefit is that it makes it clear that the notion of Bits and FiniteBits are related and prevents you from winding up with signatures that look like (Bits b, FiniteBits b) everywhere.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> wrote:
On 2013-09-18 at 13:56:22 +0200, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

[...]

> As it stands, the current implementation state is at
>  http://git.haskell.org/packages/base.git/commitdiff/cddc9024e67a6d4c01bb190839d0134af8c907e0
> Now I have two questions:
>  1.) Currently, bitSizeMaybe and bitSize have no default implementation
>      defined. Shall we define mutually recursive default implementations
>      for these two functions to help smooth the transition?
>      e.g. in the style (just an example, not an actual proposal) of:
>        bitSize = fromJust . bitSizeMaybe
>        bitSizeMaybe = Just . bitSize
>  2.) As it's probably not to late to easily fix any bikeshedding/naming
>      issues: Shall the naming remain as implemented?

PS:

3.) What's the benefit of having the super-class constraint on

class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
            finiteBitSize :: b -> Int

?

Edward Kmett | 18 Sep 17:22 2013

Re: bitSize/bitSizeMaybe (was: Proposal: Add hasBitSize to Data.Bits.Bits)

I believe the resolution was to explicitly leave bitSizeMaybe _not_ implemented in terms of bitSize to help ensure it gets filled in correctly.

Im rather neutral on whether we should supply a definition in the other direction.

-Edward

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> wrote:
On 2012-09-24 at 01:28:20 +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:49:49PM -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
>>> We want to add
>>>> class Bits b where
>>>>     bitSizeMaybe :: b -> Maybe Int
>>> and deprecate, but not remove bitSize this iteration, and make a separate
>>> class FiniteBits for things with a finite, fixed number of bits:
>>>> class Bits b => FiniteBits b where
>>>>    finiteBitSize :: b -> Int
>>>>    finiteBitSize = bitSize
>> I've just pushed a patch implementing what I think the conclusion was.
>> Please let me know if you think I got it wrong.
> My last comment was, that FiniteBits is not an appropriate name, and
> then we arrived at FixedBits:
>    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2012-August/018349.html

As it stands, the current implementation state is at

Now I have two questions:

1.) Currently, bitSizeMaybe and bitSize have no default implementation
     defined. Shall we define mutually recursive default implementations
     for these two functions to help smooth the transition?

e.g. in the style (just an example, not an actual proposal) of:

bitSize = fromJust . bitSizeMaybe

bitSizeMaybe = Just . bitSize

2.) As it's probably not to late to easily fix any bikeshedding/naming
     issues: Shall the naming remain as implemented?

hvr

Herbert Valerio Riedel | 19 Sep 15:51 2013

RFC: Default impl for bitSize in terms of bitSizeMaybe (was: bitSize/bitSizeMaybe)

On 2013-09-18 at 17:22:06 +0200, Edward Kmett wrote:
> I believe the resolution was to explicitly leave bitSizeMaybe _not_
> implemented in terms of bitSize to help ensure it gets filled in correctly.
> Im rather neutral on whether we should supply a definition in the other
> direction.

Me too... so we'd have something like

bitSize :: a -> Int
  bitSize = fromJust . bitSizeMaybe

Then one benefit might be, that when you build-dep on the new base>=4.7,
you can start writing instances ignoring the deprecated `bitSize`
method, and just define `bitSizeMaybe`, and then the legacy `bitSize`
will be implicitly defined as well. When `bitSize` is finally removed,
your instance definition won't have to be adapted.

But I'm not sure if this convenience is enough to justify such a default
implementation.

hvr
Henning Thielemann | 13 Aug 19:13 2012

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Thomas Schilling wrote:

>> That is a great point.  Most my uses of 'bitSize' are monomorphic and
>> Maybe would just be silly.  OTOH, I'd be more than happy to fix up any
>> polymorphic code to include a new BitSize constraint.
> To make sure I understand this correctly:
> The current problem is that bitSize is a partial function *depending
> on the type* of its argument (currently it always returns _|_ for
> Integer, and is total for any other type). That does indeed seem like
> a Bad Idea.
> You propose to:
>  1. Remove "bitSize" from the Bits class.
>  2. Add a new class BitSize which only contains the "bitSize" method.
> Integer would not be an instance of this class.