Brent Yorgey | 21 Aug 20:48 2012

Call for consensus: addition of split package to platform

Hi everyone,

Following the great feedback I got on the initial proposal, and after
testing with the GHC 7.6 release candidate, I have just released
split-0.2.0.0, which I am proposing for inclusion in the HP.  The full
proposal, links to previous discussion, etc. can be found on the wiki:

  http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals/split

Comments, questions, constructive criticism, etc. are still welcome,
but this time around I hope we can build a consensus as to whether it
should go in the platform or not.

I would also like people's opinions on the one big question remaining:
whether to use cabal's mechanisms to conditionally include some code,
allowing the 'build' function to be taken from GHC.Exts when
available, or defined manually otherwise.  This would make split fully
H2010-compatible. The currently released version does NOT include
this, so it is H2010-compatible but GHC specific.  The options are:

  1) just use a generic version of 'build' (simplest option)

  2) use only GHC's version of build (slightly faster)

  3) do the conditional thing to choose between 1) and 2) at compile
     time (most general but most complicated/cumbersome)

-Brent
Henning Thielemann | 21 Aug 20:55 2012
Picon

Re: Call for consensus: addition of split package to platform

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> I would also like people's opinions on the one big question remaining:
> whether to use cabal's mechanisms to conditionally include some code,
> allowing the 'build' function to be taken from GHC.Exts when
> available, or defined manually otherwise.  This would make split fully
> H2010-compatible. The currently released version does NOT include
> this, so it is H2010-compatible but GHC specific.  The options are:
>
>  1) just use a generic version of 'build' (simplest option)
>
>  2) use only GHC's version of build (slightly faster)
>
>  3) do the conditional thing to choose between 1) and 2) at compile
>     time (most general but most complicated/cumbersome)

The best solution would be to have a package that provides the 'build'
function for all compilers. For GHC it exports the fusing 'build' and for
other compilers it exports a generic version. I think this 'build'
function is useful for other packages, too.

This package does not yet exist and if it would exist then it should or
must be part of the platform. For now I would think a simple solution is
ok, thus I vote for solution number 1. Later you can simply switch the
import of 'build'.
Brent Yorgey | 24 Sep 18:49 2012

Re: Call for consensus: addition of split package to platform

I have just released split-0.2.1.0.  This version is identical to the
previous release except

  * I have updated pointers to the darcs repo, which has moved to

    http://hub.darcs.net/byorgey/split

  * I have taken the simple route of going back to a generic
    implementation of 'build', instead of exporting it from GHC.Exts.
    This makes the package completely 100% Haskell2010 compliant, and
    fits with the explicit philosophy of having efficiency be a
    non-goal.

My current understanding is that the consensus is for inclusion of
this in the HP.  Otherwise, please speak up now! =)

-Brent