Oren Ben-Kiki | 17 Sep 20:41 2012

GHC 7.6.1 / System.IO.Error.try

It seems that System.IO.Error no longer exports "try" and that breaks a lot of packages I am using. I am trying to move my code to GHC 7.6.1, and this seems to be a common source of problems (there are other issues, alas...). Is there an ETA to when libraries would be GHC-7.6.1-compatible?

Thanks,

Oren Ben-Kiki
Brandon Allbery | 17 Sep 20:48 2012
Picon

Re: GHC 7.6.1 / System.IO.Error.try

It seems that System.IO.Error no longer exports "try" and that breaks a lot of packages I am using. I am trying to move my code to GHC 7.6.1, and this seems to be a common source of problems (there are other issues, alas...). Is there an ETA to when libraries would be GHC-7.6.1-compatible?

Most of that stuff should be in Control.Exception, fwiw.

--
brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b <at> gmail.com

Oren Ben-Kiki | 17 Sep 20:56 2012

Re: GHC 7.6.1 / System.IO.Error.try

Yes, I tried that, but just adding import Control.Exception (try) didn't cut it. At any rate, this is a widespread issue - I guess it will take the next haskell-platform to fix things across hackage - whenever that is...?

It seems that System.IO.Error no longer exports "try" and that breaks a lot of packages I am using. I am trying to move my code to GHC 7.6.1, and this seems to be a common source of problems (there are other issues, alas...). Is there an ETA to when libraries would be GHC-7.6.1-compatible?

Most of that stuff should be in Control.Exception, fwiw.

--
brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b <at> gmail.com

John Lato | 19 Sep 02:27 2012
Picon

Re: GHC 7.6.1 / System.IO.Error.try

> From: Brandon Allbery <allbery.b <at> gmail.com>
>
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Oren Ben-Kiki <haskell-oren <at> ben-kiki.org>wrote:
>
>> It seems that System.IO.Error no longer exports "try" and that breaks a
>> lot of packages I am using. I am trying to move my code to GHC 7.6.1, and
>> this seems to be a common source of problems (there are other issues,
>> alas...). Is there an ETA to when libraries would be GHC-7.6.1-compatible?
>>

> Most of that stuff should be in Control.Exception, fwiw.

System.IO.Error's try (and catch) is not the same as that of Control.Exception,
because it only catches IOError's.  catch is slightly more involved to
change because its type is specified as catching only IOError, whereas
Control.Exception.catch nearly always needs a manual annotation of the
exception type.

Replacing System.IO.Error.try with System.IO.Error.tryIOError should
work, and is compatible with ghc's back to 7.2.

John L
Oren Ben-Kiki | 19 Sep 09:20 2012

Re: GHC 7.6.1 / System.IO.Error.try

Good to know!