Herbert Valerio Riedel | 21 Sep 11:21 2012

Proposal: Adding generics-based rnf-helper to `deepseq`

Hello Simon (et al.),

Some time ago, the `generic-deepseq` package was announced to the
haskell-cafe list, and some discussion took place[1], and the suggestion
came up that it might useful to be included to `deepseq` somehow.

IMHO, a least introduing way (which I've been using myself) would be to
add something along the code below to the `Control.DeepSeq` module (only
`genericsRnf` shall be exported, thus avoiding a PVP-major-bump):

-- | Generics-based 'rnf' implementation
    genericsRnf :: (Generic a, GNFData (Rep a)) => a -> ()
    genericsRnf = grnf_ . from

instance GNFData a => GNFData (M1 i c a) where
        grnf_ = grnf_ . unM1
        {-# INLINE grnf_ #-}

Henning Thielemann | 21 Sep 11:30 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

> Hello Simon (et al.),
> Some time ago, the `generic-deepseq` package was announced to the
> haskell-cafe list, and some discussion took place[1], and the suggestion
> came up that it might useful to be included to `deepseq` somehow.
> IMHO, a least introduing way (which I've been using myself) would be to
> add something along the code below to the `Control.DeepSeq` module (only
> `genericsRnf` shall be exported, thus avoiding a PVP-major-bump):

As far as I know, deepseq is currently plain Haskell 98. This would no
longer be true with a dependency on generics. Thus I would prefer to keep
deepseq and generic-deepseq separated.
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 21 Sep 11:40 2012

Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> writes:

> As far as I know, deepseq is currently plain Haskell 98. This would no
> longer be true with a dependency on generics. Thus I would prefer to
> keep deepseq and generic-deepseq separated.

that's right (although one could make that an optional feature of the
`deepseq` package, depending on the availability of the
generics-feature, so that `deepseq` could still build with a pure H98
compiler)

moreover, there's one important difference though between the
implementation I included in the email and the original
`generic-deepseq` package:

The `generic-deepseq` package uses a completely separate `DeepSeq`
type-class (the `generic-deepseq` package doesn't even depend on the
`deepseq` package), whereas the code I posted is able to make use of
existing `NFData` class instances.
Henning Thielemann | 21 Sep 11:54 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

> Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> writes:
>> As far as I know, deepseq is currently plain Haskell 98. This would no
>> longer be true with a dependency on generics. Thus I would prefer to
>> keep deepseq and generic-deepseq separated.
> that's right (although one could make that an optional feature of the
> `deepseq` package, depending on the availability of the
> generics-feature, so that `deepseq` could still build with a pure H98
> compiler)

And how would one write packages that depend on deepseq, that can be
compiled easily on both, say, GHC and JHC?
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 21 Sep 11:58 2012

Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> writes:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>> Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> writes:
>>> As far as I know, deepseq is currently plain Haskell 98. This would no
>>> longer be true with a dependency on generics. Thus I would prefer to
>>> keep deepseq and generic-deepseq separated.
>> that's right (although one could make that an optional feature of the
>> `deepseq` package, depending on the availability of the
>> generics-feature, so that `deepseq` could still build with a pure H98
>> compiler)
> And how would one write packages that depend on deepseq, that can be
> compiled easily on both, say, GHC and JHC?

afaics, if you choose (which is an explicit decision) to make use of
`genericRnf`, you already have to provide `Generic` instances in your
client code, thus your code already is beyond Haskell98 as it uses the
Generics GHC extension.

If you don't make use of the `genericRnf` then there's no harm, as your
code would work with a `deepseq` package compiled in "H98 compatibility
mode"... or am I overlooking something?
José Pedro Magalhães | 21 Sep 12:02 2012

Re: Proposal: Adding generics-based rnf-helper to `deepseq`

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> wrote:
Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> writes:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> ... a `deepseq` package compiled in "H98 compatibility
mode"... or am I overlooking something?

Are you suggesting CPP?

Pedro

Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 21 Sep 12:11 2012

José Pedro Magalhães <jpm <at> cs.uu.nl> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org>wrote:
>> Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> writes:
>> > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>> > ... a `deepseq` package compiled in "H98 compatibility
>> mode"... or am I overlooking something?

> Are you suggesting CPP?

Either that (this is how the `cereal` package does it for instance) or
by a pure CABAL solution, which switches between two internal .hs files
based on `impl(ghc >= 7.2)`, or maybe a CABAL-flag-based approach... so
this is just an implementation detail[1] which can be decided once it is
clear, whether adding `genericRnf` is a good idea at all

[1]: another impleemtation detail would be, whether to make
      `genericRnf` visible directly in `Control.DeepSeq` or in a
      separate module such as `Control.DeepSeq.Generics`

Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org
wren ng thornton | 23 Sep 08:13 2012

On 9/21/12 6:11 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>   [1]: another impleemtation detail would be, whether to make
>        `genericRnf` visible directly in `Control.DeepSeq` or in a
>        separate module such as `Control.DeepSeq.Generics`

I'm agnostic on the issue of including genericRnf rather than keeping
the packages separate; but if it is included, I definitely think it
ought to be put in a separate module. Having the API of a module depend
on CPP/flags/... is a terrible maintenance issue--- for client code, I
mean. But just having a module be absent/present makes the divide clear,
and makes it a lot easier to work with.

Live well,
~wren
Ben Millwood | 23 Sep 17:31 2012

Re: Proposal: Adding generics-based rnf-helper to `deepseq`

> I'm agnostic on the issue of including genericRnf rather than keeping the
> packages separate; but if it is included, I definitely think it ought to be
> put in a separate module. Having the API of a module depend on CPP/flags/...
> is a terrible maintenance issue--- for client code, I mean. But just having
> a module be absent/present makes the divide clear, and makes it a lot easier
> to work with.

I believe that Cabal is expressly designed so that exposed-modules
cannot change based on configuration of things. Can anyone suggest a
clear disadvantage for having the generics stuff remain in a separate
package? It seems like the least problematic solution to me so far.
wren ng thornton | 24 Sep 01:02 2012

On 9/23/12 11:31 AM, Ben Millwood wrote:
>> I'm agnostic on the issue of including genericRnf rather than keeping the
>> packages separate; but if it is included, I definitely think it ought to be
>> put in a separate module. Having the API of a module depend on CPP/flags/...
>> is a terrible maintenance issue--- for client code, I mean. But just having
>> a module be absent/present makes the divide clear, and makes it a lot easier
>> to work with.
> I believe that Cabal is expressly designed so that exposed-modules
> cannot change based on configuration of things.

That's true, however you can have the entire contents of the module be
hidden by CPP. This is how many of the STM data structures are handled.

(Thus, the client-side error isn't trying to import the module, but
rather is trying to import any definitions from the module. But that's
still preferable since it isolates the issues into a single module
rather than having it mixed up with the shared definitions.)

Live well,
~wren
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 24 Sep 15:22 2012

Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk> writes:

>> I'm agnostic on the issue of including genericRnf rather than keeping the
>> packages separate; but if it is included, I definitely think it ought to be
>> put in a separate module. Having the API of a module depend on CPP/flags/...
>> is a terrible maintenance issue--- for client code, I mean. But just having
>> a module be absent/present makes the divide clear, and makes it a lot easier
>> to work with.
> I believe that Cabal is expressly designed so that exposed-modules
> cannot change based on configuration of things. Can anyone suggest a
> clear disadvantage for having the generics stuff remain in a separate
> package? It seems like the least problematic solution to me so far.

Fair enough, I've just uploaded a companion package providing
the "Control.DeepSeq.Generics" module, see

for documentation & usage examples

So, regardless of whether `genericRnf` will be merged into `deepseq` at
some point or not, `deepseq-generics` now provides Generics-based `rnf`
support for older GHCs starting with version 7.4.1. I hope this will be
useful to someone.

Btw, I hacked up a test-suite for testing whether `genericRnf`
works as expected. Suggestions/ideas on how to improve the
current test-suite would be welcomed.
Simon Marlow | 24 Sep 15:29 2012

On 24/09/2012 14:22, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk> writes:
>> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:13 AM, wren ng thornton <wren <at> freegeek.org> wrote:
>>> I'm agnostic on the issue of including genericRnf rather than keeping the
>>> packages separate; but if it is included, I definitely think it ought to be
>>> put in a separate module. Having the API of a module depend on CPP/flags/...
>>> is a terrible maintenance issue--- for client code, I mean. But just having
>>> a module be absent/present makes the divide clear, and makes it a lot easier
>>> to work with.
>> I believe that Cabal is expressly designed so that exposed-modules
>> cannot change based on configuration of things. Can anyone suggest a
>> clear disadvantage for having the generics stuff remain in a separate
>> package? It seems like the least problematic solution to me so far.
> Fair enough, I've just uploaded a companion package providing
> the "Control.DeepSeq.Generics" module, see
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/deepseq-generics-0.1.0.0
> for documentation & usage examples
> So, regardless of whether `genericRnf` will be merged into `deepseq` at
> some point or not, `deepseq-generics` now provides Generics-based `rnf`
> support for older GHCs starting with version 7.4.1. I hope this will be
> useful to someone.
> Btw, I hacked up a test-suite for testing whether `genericRnf`
> works as expected. Suggestions/ideas on how to improve the
> current test-suite would be welcomed.

So, just to make sure I've followed, the conclusion is that we don't
want to modify the deepseq package because that would take it outside
Haskell 98, and we don't want to have a conditional API (quite rightly).
  There's no disadvantage to having the generic functionality in a
separate package, right?

Simon
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 25 Sep 10:23 2012

Simon Marlow <marlowsd <at> gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> So, just to make sure I've followed, the conclusion is that we don't
> want to modify the deepseq package because that would take it outside
> Haskell 98, and we don't want to have a conditional API (quite
> rightly). There's no disadvantage to having the generic functionality
> in a separate package, right?

Yeah, that sums it up about right (the way I perceived the discussion)

Originally, it seemed a bit overkill to me to create a separate package
containing just a few lines of codes

also, I thought that the current default (pure H98/H2010) implementation
for rnf provided by the NFData type-class, which is

| class NFData a where
|     rnf :: a -> ()
|     rnf a = a `seq` ()

could be changed to make use of the DefaultSignature extension at some
point in the future (which'd defintely leave the H98/H2010 featureset
and/or lead to a conditional API), for which having the `genericsRnf`
helper accessible to the `deepseq` package would be a requirement

However, the convenience of being able to write

| instance NFData Foo

instead of the more verbose

| instance NFData Foo where rnf = genericsRnf

isn't such a big deal either... it would have just been a nice use-case
for the DefaultSignature extension IMHO :-)

cheers,
  hvr
José Pedro Magalhães | 21 Sep 11:27 2012

Re: Proposal: Adding generics-based rnf-helper to `deepseq`

I would just suggest calling the exported function `genericRnf`.

Pedro

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> wrote:
Hello Simon (et al.),

Some time ago, the `generic-deepseq` package was announced to the
haskell-cafe list, and some discussion took place[1], and the suggestion
came up that it might useful to be included to `deepseq` somehow.

IMHO, a least introduing way (which I've been using myself) would be to
add something along the code below to the `Control.DeepSeq` module (only
`genericsRnf` shall be exported, thus avoiding a PVP-major-bump):

-- | Generics-based 'rnf' implementation
    genericsRnf :: (Generic a, GNFData (Rep a)) => a -> ()
    genericsRnf = grnf_ . from

grnf_ (x :*: y) = grnf_ x `seq` grnf_ y
        {-# INLINE grnf_ #-}

instance (GNFData a, GNFData b) => GNFData (a :+: b) where
        grnf_ (L1 x) = grnf_ x
        grnf_ (R1 x) = grnf_ x
        {-# INLINE grnf_ #-}

this way, the client code can then chose to use a Generics-derived `rnf`
implementation expliclity by simply declaring:

instance NFData FooBar where rnf = genericsRnf

...does this sound sensible?

cheers,