Dominique Devriese | 24 Sep 12:10 2012
Picon

Compilation of directory package on GHC 7.4

Dear maintainers,

The directory package is currently not compiling on GHC 7.4, leading
to a compile failure of packages that depend on it. Hackage has a
build failure log for GHC 7.4.  I propose the attached patch, although
I have not tested it on GHC 7.6.  Can this (or an alternative fix)
please be considered?

Thanks in advance,
Dominique Devriese
Attachment (directory-compile-fix-ghc-7.4.patch): application/octet-stream, 4441 bytes
Andreas Abel | 25 Sep 10:34 2012
Picon

Re: Compilation of directory package on GHC 7.4

On 24.09.12 12:10 PM, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> The directory package is currently not compiling on GHC 7.4, leading
> to a compile failure of packages that depend on it. Hackage has a
> build failure log for GHC 7.4.  I propose the attached patch, although
> I have not tested it on GHC 7.6.  Can this (or an alternative fix)
> please be considered?

+1

Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/
Dominique Devriese | 4 Oct 13:03 2012
Picon

Re: Compilation of directory package on GHC 7.4

Dear all,

Could someone please confirm that this list is the correct place for
the below mail? The directory package mentions this list as
maintainer, but I see that Ian Lynagh performed the last upload, so
CC'ing him to be sure. Is the package perhaps not supposed to compile
any more on GHC 7.4?

Thanks,
Dominique

2012/9/24 Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese <at> cs.kuleuven.be>:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> The directory package is currently not compiling on GHC 7.4, leading
> to a compile failure of packages that depend on it. Hackage has a
> build failure log for GHC 7.4.  I propose the attached patch, although
> I have not tested it on GHC 7.6.  Can this (or an alternative fix)
> please be considered?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dominique Devriese
Mark Lentczner | 4 Oct 16:46 2012
Picon

Re: Compilation of directory package on GHC 7.4

This is probably the best place to talk about the directory library, and where the maintainers will listen.

The directory package, while being on Hackage, is distributed with GHC. As such, the a given version of GHC generally only uses one version of directory. I would only expect bug-fix versions to work. For example, GHC 7.4.2 released with directory 1.1.0.2. therefore we don't expect directory 1.2.x.y. to work with GHC 7.4.z. It might, but no assurance.

All that said, I think a patch to make it work with 7.4 is great.

For future reference, the source repo is here: http://darcs.haskell.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=packages/directory.git

- Mark

Gregory Collins | 5 Oct 09:20 2012
Picon

Re: Compilation of directory package on GHC 7.4

This is probably the best place to talk about the directory library, and where the maintainers will listen.

The directory package, while being on Hackage, is distributed with GHC. As such, the a given version of GHC generally only uses one version of directory. I would only expect bug-fix versions to work. For example, GHC 7.4.2 released with directory 1.1.0.2. therefore we don't expect directory 1.2.x.y. to work with GHC 7.4.z. It might, but no assurance.

If that's the case, then directory-1.2 should have a lower-bound dependency on base that forbids cabal from even trying to build it on GHC 7.4. As it stands, the package is simply broken.

Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net>