Simon Peyton-Jones | 13 Oct 09:53 2004
Picon

RE: Haskell Libraries Wishlist

| Thank you for the numerous helpful suggestions.  I will be chasing
them
| down.
|
| Many (all?) of them were not listed at
| http://www.haskell.org/libraries/, which is what I was using.  Would
it
| be possible to list more of these on that site?

One thing the Haskell community currently lacks, and could really do
with, is a simple way to for people who have a library to add it to
//www.haskell.org/libraries/ (or somewhere similar), without requiring
intervention by the web-site manager.  All that's needed is a web form
where the contributor can fill in the name of her library, type comments
about it, and point to the download.

Doubtless there is scope for endless potential sophistication... adding
a new version of an old library, a decent way to categorise libraries
under headings that aren't just hardwired, some way of filtering ("show
me the ones that are nhc-compatible"), ways for library consumers to
record star-ratings and reviews so that excellent libraries are visibly
rewarded, etc.

Does anyone feel like doing this?  You'd be famous for ever!  (Shae
springs to mind for some reason...)

Simon
Olaf Chitil | 13 Oct 12:37 2004

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

>One thing the Haskell community currently lacks, and could really do
>with, is a simple way to for people who have a library to add it to
>//www.haskell.org/libraries/ (or somewhere similar), without requiring
>intervention by the web-site manager.  All that's needed is a web form
>where the contributor can fill in the name of her library, type comments
>about it, and point to the download.
>
>Doubtless there is scope for endless potential sophistication... adding
>a new version of an old library, a decent way to categorise libraries
>under headings that aren't just hardwired, some way of filtering ("show
>me the ones that are nhc-compatible"), ways for library consumers to
>record star-ratings and reviews so that excellent libraries are visibly
>rewarded, etc.

I'd just like to mention that last academic year I had a project student
building such a system. Although the result is nice (it provides even
some of the sophisticated features Simon mentions), I'm not happy enough
with it to use it. This is partially because of the limited Haskell
knowledge the student had, but mostly because the whole thing is based
on WASH. From this project I learned that WASH is a large and complex
library; it automatically includes lots of stuff you may not want (I
don't want JavaScript in the pages); it has a number of problems,
especially with preserving state; and it is changing quickly. The last
point is good in that a number of problems disappeared within the year,
but on the other hand the continously changing API also requires you to
change your WASH application all the time.

(Continue reading)

Shae Matijs Erisson | 13 Oct 16:18 2004

Olaf Chitil <O.Chitil <at> kent.ac.uk> writes:

> I'd just like to mention that last academic year I had a project student
> building such a system. Although the result is nice (it provides even some of
> the sophisticated features Simon mentions), I'm not happy enough with it to
> use it. This is partially because of the limited Haskell knowledge the
> student had, but mostly because the whole thing is based on WASH. From this
> project I learned that WASH is a large and complex library; it automatically
> includes lots of stuff you may not want (I don't want JavaScript in the
> pages); it has a number of problems, especially with preserving state; and it
> is changing quickly. The last point is good in that a number of problems
> disappeared within the year, but on the other hand the continously changing
> API also requires you to change your WASH application all the time.

Is the source for your app available? Is there a demo online?

I agree that WASH is large and complex, but I have used it for a few things.
I'd also like to have JavaScript as an optional component in WASH, but haven't
yet tried to patch it.
I've been using Andrew Cooke's Halipeto for my personal website, it's a nice
templating system.

Shae Matijs Erisson - Programmer - http://www.ScannedInAvian.org/
"I will, as we say in rock 'n' roll, run until the wheels come off,
because I love what I do." -- David Crosby
Olaf Chitil | 13 Oct 16:41 2004
Picon

Re: Haskell Libraries Wishlist

>>I'd just like to mention that last academic year I had a project student
>>building such a system. Although the result is nice (it provides even some of
>>the sophisticated features Simon mentions), I'm not happy enough with it to
>>use it. This is partially because of the limited Haskell knowledge the
>>student had, but mostly because the whole thing is based on WASH. From this
>>project I learned that WASH is a large and complex library; it automatically
>>includes lots of stuff you may not want (I don't want JavaScript in the
>>pages); it has a number of problems, especially with preserving state; and it
>>is changing quickly. The last point is good in that a number of problems
>>disappeared within the year, but on the other hand the continously changing
>>API also requires you to change your WASH application all the time.
>>

>Is the source for your app available? Is there a demo online?

There was an online demo, but with the end of the project this summer
the university deleted it.

If you are seriously interested I could send you source and the project
report. I just don't want to make it fully public, because there might
be copyright issues with the University of York.