Brandon Simmons | 27 Oct 05:23 2012

Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

Hi everybody,
Just discovered all the great discussion here, and although my
google-fu turned up no prior discussions on this subject, I apologize
if it has already been discussed.

I propose that Chan and TChan should be implemented as a pair of read
and write ends, initialized as follows:

newSplitChan :: IO (InChan a, OutChan a)

I've implemented this already here:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
part of the proposal.

Here is my best defense:

1) My own (and I assume others') use of Chans involves some bits of
code which do only reads, and others which do only writes; a split
implementation lets us use the type-checker to allocate read or write
"permissions" when we pass around either end, and generally makes
things easier to reason about. Others have independently reached this
conclusion as well.

2) The API is simpler (and in the case of TChans *much* simpler) with
a split approach; some examples: in TChan the types of the 'duplicate'
functions actually suggest (IMHO) the details of how they treat
existing messages, and require a less roundabout explanation

dupTChan :: InTChan a -> STM (OutTChan a)

Oren Ben-Kiki | 27 Oct 09:00 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

I can't speak to the implications of changing the API, but the concept of separating the reader and writer ends of a channel makes absolute sense. So at the very least, this would be useful as a separate package.

In a side node - I used to code in an old concurrent language where even variables were split into reader and writer ends (at the lowest level, not as a library). That is, each use of "x" was either "the reader of x" or "the writer of x". The compiler automatically infrerred which one was used, but manual annotation was possible. The compiler also enforced that only a single occurence of "the writer of x" existed at any given time in the system.

This allowed doing things that are difficult to do in Haskell right now, without dropping into IO for IVars, such as passing around a deep structure with writers at the leaves to a function that would fill them with values, establishing a trivial two-way communication between multiple threads, and difference lists rather than lists being the most common collection (implemented as a simple pair of a Reader [ T ] and a Writer [ T ]).

Extensive use of difference lists turned out to be very useful - in naive code list concatenation was O(1) in many more cases than in naive Haskell code, and there are all sort of concurrency control algorithms that can be trivially implemented by them (e.g., detecting/enforcing when a lazy evaluation of multiple threads is done, passing exceptions in a side channel to the real result, etc.).

It is a different approach than the one took by lazy functional languages, and it has its up-sides; I miss its clarity of expressing the code intent when I am dealing with parallel lazy Haskell code. It would be "very nice" if there was a pure version of IVars that basically allowed direct lower-level access to the lazy evaluation mechanism.

Of course, the language I used had other issues (this was the early 90s, and a lot of work has been done since then on type systems and type inference, efficient implementation, etc.). It was a research language that dies with the 5th generation project :-(

At any rate, +1 for separate reader and writer endpoints for channels, at least for those who need it.

Oren Ben-Kiki

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Brandon Simmons <brandon.m.simmons <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everybody,
Just discovered all the great discussion here, and although my
google-fu turned up no prior discussions on this subject, I apologize
if it has already been discussed.

I propose that Chan and TChan should be implemented as a pair of read
and write ends, initialized as follows:

newSplitChan :: IO (InChan a, OutChan a)

I've implemented this already here:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
part of the proposal.

Here is my best defense:

1) My own (and I assume others') use of Chans involves some bits of
code which do only reads, and others which do only writes; a split
implementation lets us use the type-checker to allocate read or write
"permissions" when we pass around either end, and generally makes
things easier to reason about. Others have independently reached this
conclusion as well.

2) The API is simpler (and in the case of TChans *much* simpler) with
a split approach; some examples: in TChan the types of the 'duplicate'
functions actually suggest (IMHO) the details of how they treat
existing messages, and require a less roundabout explanation

dupTChan :: InTChan a -> STM (OutTChan a)
    cloneTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM (OutTChan a)

another example, 'newBroadcastTChan' is actually just:

-- | Create a new write end of a TChan. Use dupTChan to get an
OutChan that values can be read from.
    newInTChan :: STM (InTChan a)

and doesn't require any explanation beyond that.

3) It's trivial to modify the *Chan libs in this way with a few edits
(really, they're already implemented this way, but with some added
contortions to return both a read and write end for each operation),
so there're no new tricky concurrency issues to reason about.

4) Values written to the write end can be reliably GC'd when readers
go away, although recent GHC seems to be able to do this on the
current implementation with -O2 on my simple tests.

5) While this is a big API change, I imagine the vast majority of
users would only have to change a few type signatures and the Chan
initialization action. An `OldChan` module could easily be implemented
in terms of the new split version. Alternatively, a *Chan.Split module
could be added, and the current Chan module defined in terms of it.

So two weeks of discussion?

Thanks all,
Brandon

Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org

Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org
Henning Thielemann | 27 Oct 09:52 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Brandon Simmons wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> Just discovered all the great discussion here, and although my
> google-fu turned up no prior discussions on this subject, I apologize
> if it has already been discussed.
> I propose that Chan and TChan should be implemented as a pair of read
> and write ends, initialized as follows:
>    newSplitChan :: IO (InChan a, OutChan a)
> I've implemented this already here:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
> type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
> part of the proposal.

I have implemented something similar in plain Haskell 98:

When using it I found that often there is a clear distinction between
input and output end of a channel but sometimes it is not. E.g. a thread
might send messages to itself. Of course I could pass around both channel
ends in this case.
  I don't think it is worth to break the API. I am happy with separate
packages. If the implementors of Control.Concurrent think that the
implementations become cleaner then they might add new modules. This would
allow for a smooth transition.
Ben Millwood | 27 Oct 12:59 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Brandon Simmons
<brandon.m.simmons <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I've implemented this already here:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
> type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
> part of the proposal.

So what's the complete API that we're discussing here? I think the
/idea/ is great, but it doesn't feel like a concrete proposal until we
have a list of type signatures, so we can discuss the details like
whether or not `dupChan` is a good name for that operation (my
instinct is that it sounds pretty much the same as `cloneChan`, and
it's going to be hard to remember the difference).

I think my preferred signature for `newBroadcastTChan` would be `STM
(InTChan a, STM (OutTChan a))` or something similar. Then `dupChan`
might be unnecessary.
Brandon Simmons | 27 Oct 17:47 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Brandon Simmons
> <brandon.m.simmons <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've implemented this already here:
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
>> type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
>> part of the proposal.
> So what's the complete API that we're discussing here? I think the
> /idea/ is great, but it doesn't feel like a concrete proposal until we
> have a list of type signatures, so we can discuss the details like
> whether or not `dupChan` is a good name for that operation (my
> instinct is that it sounds pretty much the same as `cloneChan`, and
> it's going to be hard to remember the difference).

Good point, sorry. Here's what the API for TChan looks like after
doing the mechanical transformations into split form (I'm not wedded
to these names):

newSplitTChan :: STM (InTChan a, OutTChan a)
newSplitTChanIO :: IO (InTChan a, OutTChan a)
-- this is 'newBroadcastTChan' with a more appropriate name:
newInTChan :: STM (InTChan a)
newInTChanIO :: IO (InTChan a)
writeTChan :: InTChan a -> a -> STM ()
readTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM a
peekTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM a
tryPeekTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM (Maybe a)
tryReadTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM (Maybe a)
isEmptyTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM Bool
unGetTChan :: OutTChan a -> a -> STM ()
dupTChan :: InTChan a -> STM (OutTChan a)
cloneTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM (OutTChan a)

If you want to look at implementation, see:

If it would be more helpful for me to provide a proper patch with the
bare minimum modifications, I'd be happy to when I get a moment.

Brandon

> I think my preferred signature for `newBroadcastTChan` would be `STM
> (InTChan a, STM (OutTChan a))` or something similar. Then `dupChan`
> might be unnecessary.
Jeff Shaw | 27 Oct 19:51 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

I had a similar idea earlier this year, and uploaded this package:

Jeff

On 10/27/2012 11:47 AM, Brandon Simmons wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Brandon Simmons
>> <brandon.m.simmons <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've implemented this already here:
>>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
>>> type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
>>> part of the proposal.
>> So what's the complete API that we're discussing here? I think the
>> /idea/ is great, but it doesn't feel like a concrete proposal until we
>> have a list of type signatures, so we can discuss the details like
>> whether or not `dupChan` is a good name for that operation (my
>> instinct is that it sounds pretty much the same as `cloneChan`, and
>> it's going to be hard to remember the difference).
> Good point, sorry. Here's what the API for TChan looks like after
> doing the mechanical transformations into split form (I'm not wedded
> to these names):
> newSplitTChan :: STM (InTChan a, OutTChan a)
> newSplitTChanIO :: IO (InTChan a, OutTChan a)
> -- this is 'newBroadcastTChan' with a more appropriate name:
> newInTChan :: STM (InTChan a)
> newInTChanIO :: IO (InTChan a)
> writeTChan :: InTChan a -> a -> STM ()
> readTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM a
> peekTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM a
> tryPeekTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM (Maybe a)
> tryReadTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM (Maybe a)
> isEmptyTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM Bool
> unGetTChan :: OutTChan a -> a -> STM ()
> dupTChan :: InTChan a -> STM (OutTChan a)
> cloneTChan :: OutTChan a -> STM (OutTChan a)
> If you want to look at implementation, see:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/chan-split/0.5.0/doc/html/src/Control-Concurrent-STM-TChan-Split.html
> If it would be more helpful for me to provide a proper patch with the
> bare minimum modifications, I'd be happy to when I get a moment.
> Brandon
>> I think my preferred signature for `newBroadcastTChan` would be `STM
>> (InTChan a, STM (OutTChan a))` or something similar. Then `dupChan`
>> might be unnecessary.
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Johan Tibell | 27 Oct 18:28 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Brandon Simmons
<brandon.m.simmons <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> Just discovered all the great discussion here, and although my
> google-fu turned up no prior discussions on this subject, I apologize
> if it has already been discussed.
> I propose that Chan and TChan should be implemented as a pair of read
> and write ends, initialized as follows:
>     newSplitChan :: IO (InChan a, OutChan a)
> I've implemented this already here:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
> type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
> part of the proposal.

I think this makes for a great package or perhaps an extra
Unidirectional module nested inside the Chan module. Breaking the well
used Chan API doesn't seem necessary in this case.
Brandon Simmons | 27 Oct 19:05 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Brandon Simmons
> <brandon.m.simmons <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>> Just discovered all the great discussion here, and although my
>> google-fu turned up no prior discussions on this subject, I apologize
>> if it has already been discussed.
>> I propose that Chan and TChan should be implemented as a pair of read
>> and write ends, initialized as follows:
>>     newSplitChan :: IO (InChan a, OutChan a)
>> I've implemented this already here:
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/chan-split . You can ignore the
>> type classes I've defined; they're there for my own reasons and not
>> part of the proposal.
> I think this makes for a great package or perhaps an extra
> Unidirectional module nested inside the Chan module. Breaking the well
> used Chan API doesn't seem necessary in this case.

In the scenario where an extra module is added to the current
libraries, it would be logical to then implement the current non-split
Chan modules in terms of the split module. Are there arguments against
doing that?
wren ng thornton | 28 Oct 02:37 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

On 10/27/12 12:28 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:
> I think this makes for a great package or perhaps an extra
> Unidirectional module nested inside the Chan module. Breaking the well
> used Chan API doesn't seem necessary in this case.

I agree. I like the idea, and I'd like to see it gain traction, but I'm
not so keen on breaking the Chan/TChan API. Also, there seem to be some
API issues to be ironed out (e.g., someone proposed

newBrodcastTChan :: STM (InTChan a, STM (OutTChan a))

which has an obvious meaning, over

newInTChan :: STM (InTChan a)

which is going to take some explaining.)

It sounds like many people have implemented versions of this and
uploaded them to Hackage already. Perhaps the best approach would be to
(1) unify all those packages into a single "blessed" package, to reduce
redundancy; (2) advertise that package as the way to go for new
projects; (3) add it to the Platform if it gains traction; (4) maybe get
around to deprecating the current Chan/TChan API some years down the
road when it's no longer popular.

Live well,
~wren
Roman Cheplyaka | 28 Oct 10:22 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

* wren ng thornton <wren <at> freegeek.org> [2012-10-27 20:37:16-0400]
> It sounds like many people have implemented versions of this and
> uploaded them to Hackage already. Perhaps the best approach would be
> to (1) unify all those packages into a single "blessed" package, to
> reduce redundancy; (2) advertise that package as the way to go for
> new projects; (3) add it to the Platform if it gains traction; (4)
> maybe get around to deprecating the current Chan/TChan API some years
> down the road when it's no longer popular.

Roman
Simon Marlow | 5 Nov 10:50 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

On 28/10/2012 01:37, wren ng thornton wrote:
> On 10/27/12 12:28 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> I think this makes for a great package or perhaps an extra
>> Unidirectional module nested inside the Chan module. Breaking the well
>> used Chan API doesn't seem necessary in this case.
> I agree. I like the idea, and I'd like to see it gain traction, but I'm
> not so keen on breaking the Chan/TChan API.

That sums up my thoughts too.  I am especially reluctant to change the
Chan/TChan API since then some parts of my (in progress) book will need
to be rewritten to take the changes into account.

Extra type safety is good, but it doesn't come completely for free -
there is a bit of extra plumbing and hence program noise from the split API.

> It sounds like many people have implemented versions of this and
> uploaded them to Hackage already. Perhaps the best approach would be to
> (1) unify all those packages into a single "blessed" package, to reduce
> redundancy; (2) advertise that package as the way to go for new
> projects; (3) add it to the Platform if it gains traction; (4) maybe get
> around to deprecating the current Chan/TChan API some years down the
> road when it's no longer popular.

Yep,  +1

Simon
Brandon Simmons | 30 Oct 16:05 2012

Re: Proposal: split Chan and TChan into read and write ends

> On 10/27/12 12:28 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> I think this makes for a great package or perhaps an extra
>> Unidirectional module nested inside the Chan module. Breaking the well
>> used Chan API doesn't seem necessary in this case.
> I agree. I like the idea, and I'd like to see it gain traction, but I'm
> not so keen on breaking the Chan/TChan API. Also, there seem to be some
> API issues to be ironed out (e.g., someone proposed
>      newBrodcastTChan :: STM (InTChan a, STM (OutTChan a))
> which has an obvious meaning, over
>      newInTChan :: STM (InTChan a)
> which is going to take some explaining.)

I assume you mixed those up? `newBroadcastTChan` naturally turns into
the (IMHO) much simpler `newInTChan` when the chan ends are split.

> It sounds like many people have implemented versions of this and
> uploaded them to Hackage already. Perhaps the best approach would be to
> (1) unify all those packages into a single "blessed" package, to reduce
> redundancy; (2) advertise that package as the way to go for new
> projects; (3) add it to the Platform if it gains traction; (4) maybe get
> around to deprecating the current Chan/TChan API some years down the
> road when it's no longer popular.

The best approach then for this route would be to go through the Chan
and TChan package and to turn it into a "split" version with minimum
edits (should only take a few minutes), perhaps changing a few names
where a better one obviously exists or the original no longer makes
sense (e.g. newBroadcastTChan). That way people can both see it's
correct, and easily port their code over.

I also wanted to link to in my original post, but couldn't find for
some reason, Leon P Smith's library:

It uses the name 'listen' for the equivalent function to the old
'dupTChan' which I think is an excellent choice.

Brandon