Roman Beslik | 23 Nov 15:25 2012
Picon

can't understand the Cabal manual. flag, manual

Hello.

http://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/developing-packages.html#package-descriptions
{{{
manual: boolean (default: False)
By default, Cabal will first try to satisfy dependencies with the
default flag value and then, if that is not possible, with the negated
value. However, if the flag is manual, then the default value (which can
be overridden by commandline flags) will be used.
}}}
Can I interpret this as {{{
First, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the default flag value.
Second, if the flag is manual, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with
the negated flag value.
}}} ?
{{{
This file should contain of a number global property descriptions and
several sections.
}}}
Maybe it's my English, but I can only think of "descriptions of global
properties of a number" which does not make sense.
Brandon Allbery | 23 Nov 15:33 2012
Picon

Re: can't understand the Cabal manual. flag, manual

By default, Cabal will first try to satisfy dependencies with the default flag value and then, if that is not possible, with the negated value. However, if the flag is manual, then the default value (which can be overridden by commandline flags) will be used.
}}}
Can I interpret this as {{{
First, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the default flag value. Second, if the flag is manual, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the negated flag value.
}}} ?

That describes it in the default case.  The point is more that it will try all possibilities for a flag which is not "manual: True" but only use the exact setting specified in the latter case.

{{{
This file should contain of a number global property descriptions and several sections.
}}}
Maybe it's my English

The author typoed or possibly had an editing accident, I think; the words are scrambled.  Native English speakers may well do what I did the first time and correct it without noticing.

"This file should contain a number of global property descriptions...."

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net

Roman Beslik | 23 Nov 16:18 2012

On 23.11.12 16:33, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Roman Beslik <rabeslik <at> gmail.com
> <mailto:rabeslik <at> gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     {{{
>     manual: boolean (default: False)
>     By default, Cabal will first try to satisfy dependencies with the
>     default flag value and then, if that is not possible, with the
>     negated value. However, if the flag is manual, then the default
>     value (which can be overridden by commandline flags) will be used.
>     }}}
>     Can I interpret this as {{{
>     First, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the default flag
>     value. Second, if the flag is manual, Cabal tries to satisfy
>     dependencies with the negated flag value.
>     }}} ?
>

> That describes it in the default case.  The point is more that it will
> try all possibilities for a flag which is not "manual: True" but only
> use the exact setting specified in the latter case.
Sorry, I still don't get it.
Antoine Latter | 23 Nov 17:48 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Roman Beslik <rabeslik <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23.11.12 16:33, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>>
>> That describes it in the default case.  The point is more that it will
>> try all possibilities for a flag which is not "manual: True" but only
>> use the exact setting specified in the latter case.
>
> Sorry, I still don't get it.

When "manual" is set the solver won't try other values of the flag
aside from the default.

Antoine
Roman Beslik | 24 Nov 08:19 2012
Picon

Re: can't understand the Cabal manual. flag, manual

Then my interpretation is correct?

On 23.11.12 18:48, Antoine Latter wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Roman Beslik <rabeslik <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 23.11.12 16:33, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>>>
>>> That describes it in the default case.  The point is more that it will
>>> try all possibilities for a flag which is not "manual: True" but only
>>> use the exact setting specified in the latter case.
>>
>> Sorry, I still don't get it.
>>

> When "manual" is set the solver won't try other values of the flag
> aside from the default.
Ben Millwood | 24 Nov 17:22 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Roman Beslik <rabeslik <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/developing-packages.html#package-descriptions
> {{{
> manual: boolean (default: False)
> By default, Cabal will first try to satisfy dependencies with the default
> flag value and then, if that is not possible, with the negated value.
> However, if the flag is manual, then the default value (which can be
> overridden by commandline flags) will be used.
> }}}
> Can I interpret this as {{{
> First, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the default flag value.
> Second, if the flag is manual, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the
> negated flag value.
> }}} ?

My understanding is that you want the negation of this (i.e. "Second,
if the flag is /not/ manual [...]").

The idea being, if manual: True, then the setting can only be changed
manually (using -f flags to the cabal command), not by the dependency
solver.
Roman Beslik | 24 Nov 19:21 2012

On 24.11.12 18:22, Ben Millwood wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Roman Beslik <rabeslik <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/developing-packages.html#package-descriptions
>> {{{
>> manual: boolean (default: False)
>> By default, Cabal will first try to satisfy dependencies with the default
>> flag value and then, if that is not possible, with the negated value.
>> However, if the flag is manual, then the default value (which can be
>> overridden by commandline flags) will be used.
>> }}}
>> Can I interpret this as {{{
>> First, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the default flag value.
>> Second, if the flag is manual, Cabal tries to satisfy dependencies with the
>> negated flag value.
>> }}} ?
>
> My understanding is that you want the negation of this (i.e. "Second,
> if the flag is /not/ manual [...]").
Yes, I have made this stupid mistake in my interpretation. :)

Gmane