Edward Z. Yang | 25 Nov 18:59 2012
Picon

Non-monotonic releases and package clobbering

Hello all,

I recently noticed that there is a subset of packages on Hackage which
have had a non-monotonic release in their history.  Non-monotonic releases
occur for various reasons; for example, http://hackage.haskell.org/package/QuickCheck-1.2.0.1
was made in 2010 (2.1 was released in 2008), ostensibly as a minor bugfix release.

However, I found at least one case where a non-monotonic release was due to
package clobbering:

    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Adaptive-0.1
    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Adaptive-0.22

It's easy to see that these are two different packages.  0.1 is the
"later" release, but it is completely shadowed by the old 0.22 release.

I'm not sure if I have any concrete recommendations (since this problem is mostly
subsumed by the "people shouldn't be able to upload arbitrary stuff to Hackage problem);
but I thought this might be interesting information to someone.

Edward
Daniel Peebles | 27 Nov 06:09 2012
Picon

Re: Non-monotonic releases and package clobbering

Clearly the solution for this particular conflict is just to vary the case of the first letter, like we have with the Numbers vs. numbers packages. What could be cleaner? ;)