Simon Hengel | 30 Nov 21:38 2012

isLeft (Left  _) = True
    isLeft (Right _) = False

isRight :: Either a b -> Bool
    isRight (Left  _) = False
    isRight (Right _) = True

There has been a discussion on that before [1].  While I agree that
fromLeft/fromRight are moot, I don't see issues with isLeft/isRight.

Personally I care mostly about isLeft, but for orthogonality I propose
to add both isLeft and isRight.

Here is a (possibly incomplete) list of packages that come with their
own definition of isLeft:

snap-core, multifocal, PriorityChansConverger, tamarin-prover-utils,
    Agda, PCLT, cmdtheline, scyther-proof, xmlhtml, hspec-expectations,
    Glob, language-glsl, Craft3e, hledger-lib, narc, nemesis,
    type-settheory, PCLT-DB, RJson, bio, errors, rss2irc, heist

Discussion period: 2 Weeks

Simon

Gábor Lehel | 30 Nov 21:44 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Simon Hengel <sol <at> typeful.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I propose to add isLeft/isRight to Data.Either, with the obvious
> definitions:

Your ship was destroyed in a monadic eruption.
John Wiegley | 30 Nov 21:56 2012

>     isLeft (Left  _) = True
>     isLeft (Right _) = False
>     isRight :: Either a b -> Bool
>     isRight (Left  _) = False
>     isRight (Right _) = True
> There has been a discussion on that before [1].  While I agree that
> fromLeft/fromRight are moot, I don't see issues with isLeft/isRight.
> Personally I care mostly about isLeft, but for orthogonality I propose
> to add both isLeft and isRight.
> Here is a (possibly incomplete) list of packages that come with their

isLeft (Left  _) = True
    isLeft (Right _) = False

isRight :: Either a b -> Bool
    isRight (Left  _) = False
    isRight (Right _) = True

There has been a discussion on that before [1].  While I agree that
fromLeft/fromRight are moot, I don't see issues with isLeft/isRight.

Personally I care mostly about isLeft, but for orthogonality I propose
to add both isLeft and isRight.

Here is a (possibly incomplete) list of packages that come with their

isLeft (Left  _) = True
    isLeft (Right _) = False

isRight :: Either a b -> Bool
    isRight (Left  _) = False
    isRight (Right _) = True

There has been a discussion on that before [1].  While I agree that
fromLeft/fromRight are moot, I don't see issues with isLeft/isRight.

Personally I care mostly about isLeft, but for orthogonality I propose
to add both isLeft and isRight.

Here is a (possibly incomplete) list of packages that come with their

Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org

Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org
Henning Thielemann | 1 Dec 00:48 2012

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Edward Kmett wrote:

> You can add lens to the list of packages that had to define their own (for doctest purposes). ;)

I grepped for isLeft and isRight in lens-3.6 but did not find them.
Edward Kmett | 1 Dec 03:39 2012

Re: Proposal: Add isLeft/isRight to Data.Either

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Edward Kmett wrote:

I grepped for isLeft and isRight in lens-3.6 but did not find them.

It is used in Projection tests in the as yet unreleased 3.7 on github.

src/Control/Lens/Projection.hs:-- >>> let isLeft  (Left  _) = True; isLeft  _ = False

-Edward

>    isLeft (Left  _) = True
>    isLeft (Right _) = False
>    isRight :: Either a b -> Bool
>    isRight (Left  _) = False
>    isRight (Right _) = True
> There has been a discussion on that before [1].  While I agree that
> fromLeft/fromRight are moot, I don't see issues with isLeft/isRight.
> Personally I care mostly about isLeft, but for orthogonality I propose
> to add both isLeft and isRight.
> Here is a (possibly incomplete) list of packages that come with their
> own definition of isLeft:
>    snap-core, multifocal, PriorityChansConverger, tamarin-prover-utils,
>    Agda, PCLT, cmdtheline, scyther-proof, xmlhtml, hspec-expectations,
>    Glob, language-glsl, Craft3e, hledger-lib, narc, nemesis,
>    type-settheory, PCLT-DB, RJson, bio, errors, rss2irc, heist

It would be a good opportunity to check how these packages use isLeft and
isRight. E.g. if they use them in connection with fromLeft and fromRight
then this would be an argument for me to exclude isLeft and isRight as
well.

cmdtheline uses these functions in test/Main.hs for checking whether
command options could be parsed or not. Maybe the tests could be stricter
if they do (Left expectedValue ==) or (Right expectedValue ==) instead.

snap-core uses these functions once in test/suite/Snap/Core/Tests.hs for
testing whether Left or Right is returned as expected.

multifocal uses isLeft once in src/Language/XML/Xml2Type.hs:
   map (\(Left x) -> x) . filter isLeft

Functions like

maybeLeft :: Either a b -> Maybe a
   maybeRight :: Either a b -> Maybe b

in connection with mapMaybe would be more helpful in this case, or just
the existing 'Data.Either.lefts'.

PriorityChansConverger defines isLeft, isRight, fromLeft, fromRight but
does not use them anywhere.

tamarin-prover-utils defines isLeft, isRight but does not use them
anywhere.

Agda uses isLeft and isRight in some QuickCheck properties. And then there
is this application:

do
       -- ps0 :: [NamedArg ParseLHS]
       ps0 <- mapM classPat ps
       let (ps1, rest) = span (isLeft . namedArg) ps0
       guard $ all (isLeft . namedArg) ps3
       let (f, lhs)      = fromR p2
           (ps', _:ps'') = splitAt (length ps1) ps
       return $ Right (f, LHSProj x ps' lhs ps'')

Looks at least interesting ... :-)

I get tired ...

So far it seems that isLeft and isRight are frequently used in testing.
Andreas Abel | 1 Dec 22:42 2012

On 30.11.12 7:14 PM, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Agda uses isLeft and isRight in some QuickCheck properties. And then
> there is this application:
>     do
>        -- ps0 :: [NamedArg ParseLHS]
>        ps0 <- mapM classPat ps
>        let (ps1, rest) = span (isLeft . namedArg) ps0
>        (p2, ps3) <- uncons rest -- when (null rest): no field pattern or
> def pattern found
>        guard $ all (isLeft . namedArg) ps3
>        let (f, lhs)      = fromR p2
>            (ps', _:ps'') = splitAt (length ps1) ps
>        return $ Right (f, LHSProj x ps' lhs ps'')
> Looks at least interesting ... :-)

Well, maybe this code could be improved, avoiding isLeft and fromR(ight).

Basically, what I want to to here is:
- I have a list of things: ps
- I have a classification of these things into Left and Right: classPat
- I want to succeed if exactly one of these things is classified as a Right
- I want to extract that Right thing, modify it a bit: lhs
- I want to obtain all the Left things unchanged: ps' and ps''

These standard functions do not do the job:
- partitionEithers: loses the order of my things
- lefts/rights: ditto

The crux here is that the standard list functions like filter, span,
break etc. use "Bool" as decision type.  They would be more general with
Either, using Left as falsehood and Right as truth.

span  :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([c], [a])
   break :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([b], [a])
   partition :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([c], [b])

etc.

How would you do it?

Andreas

Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich

>>        let (ps1, rest) = span (isLeft . namedArg) ps0
>>        (p2, ps3) <- uncons rest -- when (null rest): no field pattern or
>> def pattern found
>>        guard $ all (isLeft . namedArg) ps3
>>        let (f, lhs)      = fromR p2
>>            (ps', _:ps'') = splitAt (length ps1) ps
>>        return $ Right (f, LHSProj x ps' lhs ps'')
>> Looks at least interesting ... :-)
> Well, maybe this code could be improved, avoiding isLeft and fromR(ight).
> Basically, what I want to to here is:
> - I have a list of things: ps
> - I have a classification of these things into Left and Right: classPat
> - I want to succeed if exactly one of these things is classified as a Right
> - I want to extract that Right thing, modify it a bit: lhs
> - I want to obtain all the Left things unchanged: ps' and ps''
> These standard functions do not do the job:
> - partitionEithers: loses the order of my things
> - lefts/rights: ditto

How do they lose the order?  Or do you mean lose the order of "This
Left is before that Right"?

> The crux here is that the standard list functions like filter, span, break
> etc. use "Bool" as decision type.  They would be more general with Either,
> using Left as falsehood and Right as truth.
>   span  :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([c], [a])
>   break :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([b], [a])
>   partition :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([c], [b])

Isn't your either-based partition function just partitionEithers?

> etc.
> How would you do it?
> Cheers,
> Andreas
> --
> Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.
> Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich

Andreas Abel | 2 Dec 01:07 2012

On 01.12.12 5:42 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 2 December 2012 08:42, Andreas Abel <andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de> wrote:
>> On 30.11.12 7:14 PM, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>>>
>>> Agda uses isLeft and isRight in some QuickCheck properties. And then
>>> there is this application:
>>>
>>>      do
>>>         -- ps0 :: [NamedArg ParseLHS]
>>>         ps0 <- mapM classPat ps
>>>         let (ps1, rest) = span (isLeft . namedArg) ps0
>>>         (p2, ps3) <- uncons rest -- when (null rest): no field pattern or
>>> def pattern found
>>>         guard $ all (isLeft . namedArg) ps3
>>>         let (f, lhs)      = fromR p2
>>>             (ps', _:ps'') = splitAt (length ps1) ps
>>>         return $ Right (f, LHSProj x ps' lhs ps'')
>>>
>>> Looks at least interesting ... :-)
>> Well, maybe this code could be improved, avoiding isLeft and fromR(ight).
>> Basically, what I want to to here is:
>> - I have a list of things: ps
>> - I have a classification of these things into Left and Right: classPat
>> - I want to succeed if exactly one of these things is classified as a Right
>> - I want to extract that Right thing, modify it a bit: lhs
>> - I want to obtain all the Left things unchanged: ps' and ps''
>> These standard functions do not do the job:
>> - partitionEithers: loses the order of my things
>> - lefts/rights: ditto
> How do they lose the order?  Or do you mean lose the order of "This
> Left is before that Right"?

>> The crux here is that the standard list functions like filter, span, break
>> etc. use "Bool" as decision type.  They would be more general with Either,
>> using Left as falsehood and Right as truth.
>>    span  :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([c], [a])
>>    break :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([b], [a])
>>    partition :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([c], [b])
> Isn't your either-based partition function just partitionEithers?

>> How would you do it?
>> Cheers,
>> Andreas
>> --
>> Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.
>> Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich
>> Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY
>> andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de
>> http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/
>> _______________________________________________
>> Libraries mailing list
>> Libraries <at> haskell.org
>> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries

Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich
Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de
Henning Thielemann | 4 Dec 22:32 2012

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, Andreas Abel wrote:

> On 30.11.12 7:14 PM, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> Agda uses isLeft and isRight in some QuickCheck properties. And then
>> there is this application:
>>     do
>>        -- ps0 :: [NamedArg ParseLHS]
>>        ps0 <- mapM classPat ps
>>        let (ps1, rest) = span (isLeft . namedArg) ps0
>>        (p2, ps3) <- uncons rest -- when (null rest): no field pattern or def pattern found
>>        guard $ all (isLeft . namedArg) ps3
>>        let (f, lhs)      = fromR p2
>>            (ps', _:ps'') = splitAt (length ps1) ps
>>        return $ Right (f, LHSProj x ps' lhs ps'')
>> Looks at least interesting ... :-)
> Well, maybe this code could be improved, avoiding isLeft and fromR(ight).
> Basically, what I want to to here is:
> - I have a list of things: ps
> - I have a classification of these things into Left and Right: classPat
> - I want to succeed if exactly one of these things is classified as a Right
> - I want to extract that Right thing, modify it a bit: lhs
> - I want to obtain all the Left things unchanged: ps' and ps''

Since you know that everything in ps' and ps'' is Left, I guess it would
be more precise to return the value without the Left constructor, right?

> These standard functions do not do the job:
> - partitionEithers: loses the order of my things
> - lefts/rights: ditto

right

> The crux here is that the standard list functions like filter, span, break
> etc. use "Bool" as decision type.  They would be more general with Either,
> using Left as falsehood and Right as truth.
>  span  :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([c], [a])
>  break :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([b], [a])

Since you do not use the 'b' type in 'span' and the 'c' type in 'break'
we would certainly prefer:

spanMaybe  :: (a -> Maybe c) -> [a] -> ([c], [a])
    breakMaybe :: (a -> Maybe b) -> [a] -> ([b], [a])

However for your application, something with an Either "predicate" would
be actually more appropriate. Like

breakEither :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([b], Maybe (c, [a]))

> How would you do it?

E.g. I would try to avoid the irrefutable pattern (_:ps''), since it is a
potential source of an error. For now I can only come up with a mix of
explicit recursion and standard library functions (partitionEithers):

import Data.Tuple.HT (mapFst)
import Control.Monad (guard)
import Data.Either (partitionEithers)

breakEither :: (a -> Either b c) -> [a] -> ([b], Maybe (c, [a]))
breakEither f =
    let go [] = ([], Nothing)
        go (e : es) =
           case f e of
              Left x -> mapFst (x :) $ go es
              Right x -> ([], Just (x, es))
    in  go

splitAtSingleRight :: [Either a b] -> Maybe ([a], b, [a])
splitAtSingleRight xs =
    case breakEither id xs of
       (as, msuffix) -> do
          (c,es) <- msuffix
          case partitionEithers es of
             (ls, rs) -> guard (null rs) >> return (as, c, ls)
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 4 Dec 23:02 2012

Simon Hengel <sol <at> typeful.net> writes:

> Hi,
> I propose to add isLeft/isRight to Data.Either, with the obvious
> definitions:
>     isLeft :: Either a b -> Bool
>     isLeft (Left  _) = True
>     isLeft (Right _) = False
>     isRight :: Either a b -> Bool
>     isRight (Left  _) = False
>     isRight (Right _) = True
> There has been a discussion on that before [1].  While I agree that
> fromLeft/fromRight are moot, I don't see issues with isLeft/isRight.
> Personally I care mostly about isLeft, but for orthogonality I propose
> to add both isLeft and isRight.

btw, what I've been missing even more than isLeft/isRight is something

leftMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe a

> 	leftMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe a
> 	leftMaybe (Left x) = Just x
> 	leftMaybe _        = Nothing
> 	rightMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe b
> 	rightMaybe (Right x) = Just x
> 	rightMaybe _         = Nothing

These seem to be more useful for me than isLeft and isRight.

However, I think I would prefer maybeLeft and maybeRight.
Thomas Schilling | 5 Dec 01:14 2012

On 4 December 2012 22:04, Henning Thielemann
<lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> However, I think I would prefer maybeLeft and maybeRight.

I'd also prefer these names.

I haven't had much use for any of these functions since I usually use
custom types instead of Either, but I think they are obvious, simple
and small functions, so I think it's a good idea to have them in the
standard library rather than have everyone define their own version.

+1 for isLeft/isRight, maybeLeft/maybeRight

I'm not a fan of partial functions like fromLeft/fromRight. They lead
to horrible error messages in current GHCs, so I would always write
them as  "let Left x = ... in ...".  I'm not voting against them, but
I'm also not voting for them, either.

/ Thomas
Gábor Lehel | 5 Dec 09:13 2012

+1 for maybeLeft/maybeRight too

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Henning Thielemann
<lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>> btw, what I've been missing even more than isLeft/isRight is something
>>         leftMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe a
>>         leftMaybe (Left x) = Just x
>>         leftMaybe _        = Nothing
>>         rightMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe b
>>         rightMaybe (Right x) = Just x
>>         rightMaybe _         = Nothing
> These seem to be more useful for me than isLeft and isRight.
> However, I think I would prefer maybeLeft and maybeRight.
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries

Your ship was destroyed in a monadic eruption.
Andreas Abel | 4 Dec 23:12 2012

On 04.12.12 5:02 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> Simon Hengel <sol <at> typeful.net> writes:
>> Hi,
>> I propose to add isLeft/isRight to Data.Either, with the obvious
>> definitions:
>>      isLeft :: Either a b -> Bool
>>      isLeft (Left  _) = True
>>      isLeft (Right _) = False
>>      isRight :: Either a b -> Bool
>>      isRight (Left  _) = False
>>      isRight (Right _) = True
>> There has been a discussion on that before [1].  While I agree that
>> fromLeft/fromRight are moot, I don't see issues with isLeft/isRight.
>> Personally I care mostly about isLeft, but for orthogonality I propose
>> to add both isLeft and isRight.
> +1
> btw, what I've been missing even more than isLeft/isRight is something
> 	leftMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe a
> 	leftMaybe (Left x) = Just x
> 	leftMaybe _        = Nothing
> 	rightMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe b
> 	rightMaybe (Right x) = Just x
> 	rightMaybe _         = Nothing

I have not been missing these, but +1.

Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich
Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de
Simon Hengel | 5 Dec 09:23 2012

Hi Herbert,

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:02:07PM +0100, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> btw, what I've been missing even more than isLeft/isRight is something
> 	leftMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe a
> 	leftMaybe (Left x) = Just x
> 	leftMaybe _        = Nothing
> 	rightMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe b
> 	rightMaybe (Right x) = Just x
> 	rightMaybe _         = Nothing

There seems to be support for this.  I think it would be useful to have
a separate proposal/patch.

Simon
Daniel Fischer | 5 Dec 15:29 2012

On Mittwoch, 5. Dezember 2012, 09:23:31, Simon Hengel wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:02:07PM +0100, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> > btw, what I've been missing even more than isLeft/isRight is something
> > 	leftMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe a
> > 	leftMaybe (Left x) = Just x
> > 	leftMaybe _        = Nothing
> > 	rightMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe b
> > 	rightMaybe (Right x) = Just x
> > 	rightMaybe _         = Nothing
> There seems to be support for this.  I think it would be useful to have
> a separate proposal/patch.

I'm not against it, but I would like to ask whether these are really used so
frequently that

Prelude> :t either Just (const Nothing)
either Just (const Nothing) :: Either a b -> Maybe a

is too cumbersome.
Henning Thielemann | 5 Dec 17:16 2012

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Daniel Fischer wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 5. Dezember 2012, 09:23:31, Simon Hengel wrote:
>> Hi Herbert,
>> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:02:07PM +0100, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>>> btw, what I've been missing even more than isLeft/isRight is something
>>>
>>> 	leftMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe a
>>> 	leftMaybe (Left x) = Just x
>>> 	leftMaybe _        = Nothing
>>>
>>> 	rightMaybe :: Either a b -> Maybe b
>>> 	rightMaybe (Right x) = Just x
>>> 	rightMaybe _         = Nothing
>> There seems to be support for this.  I think it would be useful to have
>> a separate proposal/patch.
> I'm not against it, but I would like to ask whether these are really used so
> frequently that
> Prelude> :t either Just (const Nothing)
> either Just (const Nothing) :: Either a b -> Maybe a
> is too cumbersome.

The same can be asked for

Prelude> :t either (const False) (const True)
either (const False) (const True) :: Either a b -> Bool

or

isLeft = isJust . maybeLeft
Bryan O'Sullivan | 5 Dec 18:33 2012

Re: Proposal: Add isLeft/isRight to Data.Either

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

The same can be asked for

Prelude> :t either (const False) (const True)
either (const False) (const True) :: Either a b -> Bool

or

isLeft = isJust . maybeLeft

We at least have evidence that isLeft and isRight are actually present in several packages. That helps this proposal squeak over my bar, so I'm +0 on it.

I think that maybeLeft and maybeRight are interesting, but the burden of proof for "these things solve a problem that actually exists" is a little higher. Consider me -0.01.

In general, I feel we have a fondness for a few too many near-trivial one-liners that make libraries bigger and harder to navigate, without really adding much expressivity.

For instance, aeson has a couple of combinators that are intended to help with structure access and lookup, and I've gotten pull requests for a bunch more due to the existing precedents, but they all have me feeling that the first few were wrong and the rest are even more wrong: they don't compose. Either lenses or a little DSL would have been better choices.
Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 6 Dec 12:41 2012

"Bryan O'Sullivan" <bos <at> serpentine.com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Henning Thielemann <
> lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>> The same can be asked for
>> Prelude> :t either (const False) (const True)
>> either (const False) (const True) :: Either a b -> Bool
>> or
>> isLeft = isJust . maybeLeft

> We at least have evidence that isLeft and isRight are actually present in
> several packages. That helps this proposal squeak over my bar, so I'm +0 on
> it.
> I think that maybeLeft and maybeRight are interesting, but the burden of
> proof for "these things solve a problem that actually exists" is a little
> higher. Consider me -0.01.
> In general, I feel we have a fondness for a few too many near-trivial
> one-liners that make libraries bigger and harder to navigate, without
> really adding much expressivity.

fair enough, here's some motivation why I think that maybe{Left,Right}
might be worth to be added (and to some degree maybe even their co/dual
counterparts):

- maybe{Left,Right} compose points-free conveniently with existing
   Data.Maybe primitives, e.g.

- lefts = mapMaybe maybeLeft
    - isLeft = isJust . maybeLeft
    - fromLeft' default = fromMaybe default . maybeLeft
    - fromRight' default = fromMaybe default . maybeRight

- maybeRight is used in at least two packages (I didn't have time to
   search for more, but if it makes a difference, I'll search Hackage
   for more use cases):

- precis:Precis.Utils.ControlOperators.suppress
    - errors:Control.Error.Util.hush

and also their dual (see fromRight' above) is defined there:

- precis:Precis.Utils.ControlOperators.elaborate
    - errors:Control.Error.Util.note

- from{Left,Right} are useful when working in the 'Maybe' monad or
   applicative functor for converting 'Either'-typed values (this also
   applies to the dual case of working in the 'Either' monad/app-functor
   and having to deal with 'Maybe' values)

- IMHO, 'maybeRight' has better readability than inlining 'either
   (const Nothing) Just' - for me it's not so much about typing less, as
   more about having code that is easier to read out loud.

- I often use the 'when'-like combinator 'whenJust' in monadic code:

whenJust :: Monad m => Maybe a -> (a -> m ()) -> m ()
    whenJust (Just x) a = a x
    whenJust _        _ = return ()

or simply defined as a type specialized 'forM_':

whenJust = Data.Foldable.forM_

then the argument about composability with 'Maybe' stated above
   applies (imho):

do
      result <- try $ foobar

whenJust (maybeLeft result) $ \e -> do
         putStrLn $ "warning: got error during shutdown:"
         putStrLn $ "  " ++ e

return ()

this way I can avoid having to use a 'case of' expression with an
    explicit '_ -> return ()' branch for which I always struggle a bit
    how to indent it:

do
       result <- try $ foobar

case result of
         Left e -> do
           putStrLn $ "warning: got error during shutdown: "
           putStrLn $ "  " ++ e

_      -> return ()

return ()

- As the types in Data.Either and Data.Maybe are part of the Haskell
   standard library, and IMHO basic primitives such as maybe{Left,Right}
   should be located in those modules as well.

cheers,
  hvr
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 6 Dec 12:55 2012

Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>    and also their dual (see fromRight' above) is defined there:

sorry, I was mixed something up; ignore that "(see fromRight' above)" comment

the dual to 'maybeRight' is rather something like:

maybeToRight :: a -> Maybe b -> Either a b
maybeToRight l = maybe (Left l) Right

>     - precis:Precis.Utils.ControlOperators.elaborate
>     - errors:Control.Error.Util.note

>  - from{Left,Right} are useful when working in the 'Maybe' monad or

s/from/maybe/
Andreas Abel | 6 Dec 22:42 2012

Re: Proposal: Add isLeft/isRight to Data.Either

+1 for Herberts proposal.

On 06.12.12 6:41 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>   - from{Left,Right} are useful when working in the 'Maybe' monad or
>     applicative functor for converting 'Either'-typed values (this also
>     applies to the dual case of working in the 'Either' monad/app-functor
>     and having to deal with 'Maybe' values)
>   - IMHO, 'maybeRight' has better readability than inlining 'either
>     (const Nothing) Just' - for me it's not so much about typing less, as
>     more about having code that is easier to read out loud.
>   - I often use the 'when'-like combinator 'whenJust' in monadic code:
>      whenJust :: Monad m => Maybe a -> (a -> m ()) -> m ()
>      whenJust (Just x) a = a x
>      whenJust _        _ = return ()

+1. whenJust is defined also in Agda.Utils.Monad, should also added to
Control.Monad.

>   - As the types in Data.Either and Data.Maybe are part of the Haskell
>     standard library, and IMHO basic primitives such as maybe{Left,Right}
>     should be located in those modules as well.

Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Theoretical Computer Science, University of Munich
Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel <at> ifi.lmu.de
Evan Laforge | 6 Dec 23:05 2012

>>   - I often use the 'when'-like combinator 'whenJust' in monadic code:
>>      whenJust :: Monad m => Maybe a -> (a -> m ()) -> m ()
>>      whenJust (Just x) a = a x
>>      whenJust _        _ = return ()
> +1. whenJust is defined also in Agda.Utils.Monad, should also added to
> Control.Monad.

Off topic, but I have whenJust in my local library too, and I use it
all the time.
Bas van Dijk | 7 Dec 09:29 2012

On 6 December 2012 23:05, Evan Laforge <qdunkan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   - I often use the 'when'-like combinator 'whenJust' in monadic code:
>>>
>>>      whenJust :: Monad m => Maybe a -> (a -> m ()) -> m ()
>>>      whenJust (Just x) a = a x
>>>      whenJust _        _ = return ()
>> +1. whenJust is defined also in Agda.Utils.Monad, should also added to
>> Control.Monad.
> Off topic, but I have whenJust in my local library too, and I use it
> all the time.

In a project at work:

$ grep -r whenJust --include=\*.hs . | wc -l
Erik Hesselink | 7 Dec 10:25 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 December 2012 23:05, Evan Laforge <qdunkan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>   - I often use the 'when'-like combinator 'whenJust' in monadic code:
>>>>
>>>>      whenJust :: Monad m => Maybe a -> (a -> m ()) -> m ()
>>>>      whenJust (Just x) a = a x
>>>>      whenJust _        _ = return ()
>>>
>>>
>>> +1. whenJust is defined also in Agda.Utils.Monad, should also added to
>>> Control.Monad.
>> Off topic, but I have whenJust in my local library too, and I use it
>> all the time.
> In a project at work:
> $ grep -r whenJust --include=\*.hs . | wc -l
> 27

There is no need to define whenJust, since it is just a specialization
of forM_ from Data.Foldable.

Erik
Bas van Dijk | 7 Dec 10:49 2012

On 7 December 2012 10:25, Erik Hesselink <hesselink <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 December 2012 23:05, Evan Laforge <qdunkan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>   - I often use the 'when'-like combinator 'whenJust' in monadic code:
>>>>>
>>>>>      whenJust :: Monad m => Maybe a -> (a -> m ()) -> m ()
>>>>>      whenJust (Just x) a = a x
>>>>>      whenJust _        _ = return ()
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> +1. whenJust is defined also in Agda.Utils.Monad, should also added to
>>>> Control.Monad.
>>>
>>> Off topic, but I have whenJust in my local library too, and I use it
>>> all the time.
>> In a project at work:
>> $ grep -r whenJust --include=\*.hs . | wc -l
>> 27
> There is no need to define whenJust, since it is just a specialization
> of forM_ from Data.Foldable.

Thanks for pointing this out! Replacing the 27 whenJusts as we speak...

Bas
Bas van Dijk | 7 Dec 11:46 2012

On 7 December 2012 10:49, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 December 2012 10:25, Erik Hesselink <hesselink <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 6 December 2012 23:05, Evan Laforge <qdunkan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>   - I often use the 'when'-like combinator 'whenJust' in monadic code:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>      whenJust :: Monad m => Maybe a -> (a -> m ()) -> m ()
>>>>>>      whenJust (Just x) a = a x
>>>>>>      whenJust _        _ = return ()
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> +1. whenJust is defined also in Agda.Utils.Monad, should also added to
>>>>> Control.Monad.
>>>>
>>>> Off topic, but I have whenJust in my local library too, and I use it
>>>> all the time.
>>>
>>> In a project at work:
>>>
>>> $ grep -r whenJust --include=\*.hs . | wc -l
>>> 27
>> There is no need to define whenJust, since it is just a specialization
>> of forM_ from Data.Foldable.
> Thanks for pointing this out! Replacing the 27 whenJusts as we speak...

hvr, I see you pointed this out earlier. Thanks.
Thomas Schilling | 7 Dec 18:14 2012

On 7 December 2012 09:25, Erik Hesselink <hesselink <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no need to define whenJust, since it is just a specialization
> of forM_ from Data.Foldable.

I don't know if that's such a good argument.  I prefer my code
readable -- too much abstraction can have a seriously bad effect on
that.  As a simple rule, if the user has to do type inference in their
head, readability suffers.

In this case, "forM_" implies we're iterating over something container
like, "whenJust" means "I want to do something if this thing yielded a
result". It depends on the context whether a "Maybe" is behaving more
container-like or is indicating the presence of a result where there
may not have been one.

/ Thomas
Erik Hesselink | 7 Dec 19:38 2012

On Friday, December 7, 2012, Thomas Schilling wrote:
On 7 December 2012 09:25, Erik Hesselink <hesselink <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no need to define whenJust, since it is just a specialization
> of forM_ from Data.Foldable.

I don't know if that's such a good argument.  I prefer my code
readable -- too much abstraction can have a seriously bad effect on
that.  As a simple rule, if the user has to do type inference in their
head, readability suffers.

In this case, "forM_" implies we're iterating over something container
like, "whenJust" means "I want to do something if this thing yielded a
result". It depends on the context whether a "Maybe" is behaving more
container-like or is indicating the presence of a result where there
may not have been one.

I don't have this problem, but I guess that's just personal. But in general I'm not in favor of adding specialized versions of generalized functions.

Erik
Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org
Henning Thielemann | 8 Dec 15:53 2012

whenJust vs. forM_ (Was: Add isLeft/isRight to Data.Either)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Thomas Schilling wrote:

> On 7 December 2012 09:25, Erik Hesselink <hesselink <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is no need to define whenJust, since it is just a specialization
>> of forM_ from Data.Foldable.
> I don't know if that's such a good argument.  I prefer my code
> readable -- too much abstraction can have a seriously bad effect on
> that.  As a simple rule, if the user has to do type inference in their
> head, readability suffers.
> In this case, "forM_" implies we're iterating over something container
> like, "whenJust" means "I want to do something if this thing yielded a
> result". It depends on the context whether a "Maybe" is behaving more
> container-like or is indicating the presence of a result where there
> may not have been one.

Too much abstraction can certainly reduce readability. In this case I
interpret Maybe as a list that can contain at most one element. This way I
can use all the nice functions from Data.Foldable for Maybe.
Simon Marlow | 10 Dec 16:55 2012

On 05/12/12 17:33, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Henning Thielemann
> <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de <mailto:lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de>>
> wrote:
>     The same can be asked for
>     Prelude> :t either (const False) (const True)
>     either (const False) (const True) :: Either a b -> Bool
>     or
>     isLeft = isJust . maybeLeft
> We at least have evidence that isLeft and isRight are actually present
> in several packages. That helps this proposal squeak over my bar, so I'm
> +0 on it.
> I think that maybeLeft and maybeRight are interesting, but the burden of
> proof for "these things solve a problem that actually exists" is a
> little higher. Consider me -0.01.

I needed maybeRight just the other day, as a matter of fact.

timeout n m
     | n <  0    = fmap Just m
     | n == 0    = return Nothing
     | otherwise = do
         r <- race (threadDelay n) m
         case r of
           Left _  -> return Nothing
           Right a -> return (Just a)

would have been

timeout n m
     | n <  0    = fmap Just m
     | n == 0    = return Nothing
     | otherwise = fmap maybeRight $ race (threadDelay n) m

(I'd rather not use `either`, it's one of those functions whose type I
always have to look up)

> In general, I feel we have a fondness for a few too many near-trivial
> one-liners that make libraries bigger and harder to navigate, without
> really adding much expressivity.

I have a lot of sympathy for this view.  Hence, only

+0.3

from me.

Simon
Conrad Parker | 14 Dec 07:34 2012

On 10 December 2012 23:55, Simon Marlow <marlowsd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> (I'd rather not use `either`, it's one of those functions whose type I
> always have to look up)

{-# LANGUAGE TypeSignatureRhymes #-}
either :~:
  do something with the left
  or something with the right
  but either way give me
  something of the same type

Conrad.
Jon Fairbairn | 14 Dec 10:59 2012
X-Face

Simon Marlow <marlowsd <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I needed maybeRight just the other day, as a matter of fact.
> timeout n m
>     | n <  0    = fmap Just m
>     | n == 0    = return Nothing
>     | otherwise = do
>         r <- race (threadDelay n) m
>         case r of
>           Left _  -> return Nothing
>           Right a -> return (Just a)
> would have been
> timeout n m
>     | n <  0    = fmap Just m
>     | n == 0    = return Nothing
>     | otherwise = fmap maybeRight $ race (threadDelay n) m
> (I'd rather not use `either`, it's one of those functions
> whose type I always have to look up)

Use (|||) from Control.Arrow instead. The thing on the left is
applied to Lefts, the thing on the right to Rights.

>> In general, I feel we have a fondness for a few too many near-trivial
>> one-liners that make libraries bigger and harder to navigate, without
>> really adding much expressivity.
> I have a lot of sympathy for this view.  Hence, only
>   +0.3

and at most -1 from me, naturally.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn <at> cl.cam.ac.uk