Gabriel Gonzalez | 27 Dec 19:45 2012

Maximum and Minimum monoids

I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but would it be
possible to add the Maximum and Minimum monoids to Data.Monoid?  The
following implementations extend the traditional semigroups using Maybe.

******

mempty = Minimum Nothing

mappend (Minimum Nothing) m2 = m2
     mappend m1 (Minimum Nothing) = m1
     mappend (Minimum (Just a1)) (Minimum (Just a2)) = Minimum (Just
(min a1 a2))

******

These also give the correct behavior when folding empty structures by
returning Nothing.

Michael Snoyman | 27 Dec 20:07 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez <gabriel439 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but would it be possible to add the Maximum and Minimum monoids to Data.Monoid?  The following implementations extend the traditional semigroups using Maybe.

******

newtype Maximum a = Maximum { getMaximum :: Maybe a }

instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Maximum a) where
    mempty = Maximum Nothing

mappend (Maximum Nothing) m2 = m2
    mappend m1 (Maximum Nothing) = m1
    mappend (Maximum (Just a1)) (Maximum (Just a2)) = Maximum (Just (max a1 a2))

newtype Minimum a = Minimum { getMinimum :: Maybe a }

instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Minimum a) where
    mempty = Minimum Nothing

mappend (Minimum Nothing) m2 = m2
    mappend m1 (Minimum Nothing) = m1
    mappend (Minimum (Just a1)) (Minimum (Just a2)) = Minimum (Just (min a1 a2))

******

The reason I'm asking is that my `pipes` library uses `WriterT` to implement folds and having the above monoids lets me implement minimum and maximum folds elegantly.  I can always provide these monoids myself, but I feel like they belong in Data.Monoid.

+1, I've had to implement at least one of these in the past. In my case, I think I ended up doing it something like:

newtype Maximum a = Maximum { getMaximum :: a }
instance (Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Maximum a) where
    mempty = Maximum minBound
    mappend (Maximum x) (Maximum y) = Maximum (max x y)

Michael
Greg Fitzgerald | 27 Dec 21:02 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

> It made sense in my specific use case, but I think Gabriel's version is better as the general approach.

Can Gabriel derive his version from Michael's with:

instance Bounded (Maybe a) where
  maxBound = Nothing
  minBound = Nothing

The Bounded constraint seems right to me.  If Bounded doesn't apply to your datatype, maybe a Semigroup would be more appropriate than a Monoid?

Thanks,
Greg

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael <at> snoyman.com> wrote:

******

newtype Maximum a = Maximum { getMaximum :: Maybe a }

instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Maximum a) where
    mempty = Maximum Nothing

mappend (Maximum Nothing) m2 = m2
    mappend m1 (Maximum Nothing) = m1
    mappend (Maximum (Just a1)) (Maximum (Just a2)) = Maximum (Just (max a1 a2))

newtype Minimum a = Minimum { getMinimum :: Maybe a }

instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Minimum a) where
    mempty = Minimum Nothing

mappend (Minimum Nothing) m2 = m2
    mappend m1 (Minimum Nothing) = m1
    mappend (Minimum (Just a1)) (Minimum (Just a2)) = Minimum (Just (min a1 a2))

******

newtype Maximum a = Maximum { getMaximum :: a }
instance (Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Maximum a) where
    mempty = Maximum minBound
    mappend (Maximum x) (Maximum y) = Maximum (max x y)

Michael

Gabriel Gonzalez | 27 Dec 21:18 2012

On 12/27/2012 02:02 PM, Greg Fitzgerald wrote:
> > It made sense in my specific use case, but I think Gabriel's version
> is better as the general approach.
> Can Gabriel derive his version from Michael's with:
> instance Bounded (Maybe a) where
>   maxBound = Nothing
>   minBound = Nothing
> The Bounded constraint seems right to me.  If Bounded doesn't apply to
> your datatype, maybe a Semigroup would be more appropriate than a Monoid?

In principle the two approaches are equivalent, but I can think of some
"touchy feely" differences, though.

The first is that while the Bounded approach you propose does
recapitulate my approach in theory, in practice it encourages people to
use minBound (without the Maybe) as the default way to fold values.  The
problem with using a non-Maybe minBound as the default is:

* It loses information (because you can't tell the difference between
"minimum []" and "minimum [minBound, ...]"

* It gives a weird result on empty lists.  "minimimum [] = minBound"
feels a little weird.

* It requires implementing "Bounded" for the type in question, when
really an "Ord" constraint is enough to do maximums and minimums.

Also, you can recapitulate the Bounded approach with my approach by
using "fromMaybe minBound"/"fromMaybe maxBound".

The next issue is whether it will be obvious to users that Maybe is a
bounded type.  You would need to document that so that users know to use
that trick and that only works if users read the haddocks. If they study
the type in ghci, for example, or any context other than the haddocks
they will lose that key piece of information.

More philosophically, it's not clear why that Maybe instance for Bounded
makes any sense.  It seems like a workaround, rather than a natural
solution.

Also, it's not clear why something needs to be bounded to have a
maximum.  Real numbers are unbounded, yet you can still take a maximum
of a set of real numbers.
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 29 Dec 01:43 2012

Gabriel Gonzalez <gabriel439 <at> gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Also, it's not clear why something needs to be bounded to have a
> maximum.  Real numbers are unbounded, yet you can still take a maximum
> of a set of real numbers.

I just realized what confuses me about this bounded maximum/minimum
definitions: In the math literature I've been exposed to so far (see
also [1][2]), to satisify the definition of a maximal/minimal element of
a set that said element has to be actually contained in that set.

So it seems very confusing to me to call the element resulting from

(Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Max a)

with 'Max a' isomorphic to 'a' a proper "maximum" (as it violates the
definition for 'mempty'); on the other hand, the term "supremum"[3]
seems to match the semantics of the Monoid above better.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximal_element#Definition
 [2]: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Maximum.html
 [3]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremum

cheers,
  hvr
Strake | 29 Dec 14:29 2012

On 28/12/2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> wrote:
> I just realized what confuses me about this bounded maximum/minimum
> definitions: In the math literature I've been exposed to so far (see
> also [1][2]), to satisify the definition of a maximal/minimal element of
> a set that said element has to be actually contained in that set.
> So it seems very confusing to me to call the element resulting from
>   (Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Max a)
> with 'Max a' isomorphic to 'a' a proper "maximum" (as it violates the
> definition for 'mempty'); on the other hand, the term "supremum"[3]
> seems to match the semantics of the Monoid above better.
>  [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximal_element#Definition
>  [2]: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Maximum.html
>  [3]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremum

Ah. Yes, thanks for the clarification, to me at least.

So it seems that our type of "maximum" and "minimum" is wrong; rather,
it ought to be this:
maximum, minimum :: (Ord a, Foldable v) => v a -> Maybe a

and (Max a) and (Min a) are not properly monoids.

We could define these:

Supr, Infi :: * -> *

instance (Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Supr a)
instance (Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Infi a)

but I'm not sure whether we ought to.

Strake
Henning Thielemann | 27 Dec 20:30 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:

> I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but would it be
> possible to add the Maximum and Minimum monoids to Data.Monoid?  The
> following implementations extend the traditional semigroups using Maybe.

I remember there was a discussion on this topic some years ago. If you
want I may search for the old discussion.
Henning Thielemann | 30 Dec 00:02 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
>> I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but would it be
>> possible to add the Maximum and Minimum monoids to Data.Monoid?  The
>> following implementations extend the traditional semigroups using Maybe.
> I remember there was a discussion on this topic some years ago. If you want I
> may search for the old discussion.

I think that it was the discussion on "Proposal: Max and Min for Monoid"
started by Jake McArthur:

But it seems that the discussion was already performed once more.
Conal Elliott | 30 Dec 04:28 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

I kicked off a discussion 5 years ago (according to trac) and suggested the Bounded solution. I still miss these instances and find myself redefining them. It bothers me, however that the Bounded constraint is unnecessarily restrictive. We only need UpperBounded for Min and LowerBounded for Max.

-- Conal

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012, Henning Thielemann wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:

I remember there was a discussion on this topic some years ago. If you want I may search for the old discussion.

I think that it was the discussion on "Proposal: Max and Min for Monoid" started by Jake McArthur:

But it seems that the discussion was already performed once more.

wren ng thornton | 2 Jan 05:02 2013

On 12/29/12 10:28 PM, Conal Elliott wrote:
> I kicked off a discussion 5 years ago (according to trac) and suggested the
> Bounded solution. I still miss these instances and find myself redefining
> them. It bothers me, however that the Bounded constraint is unnecessarily
> restrictive. We only need UpperBounded for Min and LowerBounded for Max.

Indeed. And this isn't the only place the distinction is worth making.
Those two classes are in the prelude I've been developing over the past
few years (for personal/internal work). One of these days I'll push it
to Hackage, and maybe one day it'll make it's way into Haskell'.

Live well,
~wren
Roman Cheplyaka | 27 Dec 21:25 2012

Wouldn't it be better to have a real algebraic type instead of wrapping
Maybe?

Something like

data Maximum a = MinusInfinity | Maximum a
  data Minimum a = PlusInfinity  | Minimum a

Maximum x is more concise than Maximum (Just x), and MinusInfinity is
more descriptive than Maximum Nothing. getMaximum/getMinimum functions
can still return Maybes.

Anyway, I'm +1 to having something along these lines.

Roman

* Gabriel Gonzalez <gabriel439 <at> gmail.com> [2012-12-27 12:45:42-0600]
> I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but would it
> be possible to add the Maximum and Minimum monoids to Data.Monoid?
> The following implementations extend the traditional semigroups using
> Maybe.
>     mempty = Minimum Nothing
>     mappend (Minimum Nothing) m2 = m2
>     mappend m1 (Minimum Nothing) = m1
>     mappend (Minimum (Just a1)) (Minimum (Just a2)) = Minimum (Just
> (min a1 a2))
> ******
> These also give the correct behavior when folding empty structures by
> returning Nothing.
> The reason I'm asking is that my `pipes` library uses `WriterT` to
> implement folds and having the above monoids lets me implement
> minimum and maximum folds elegantly.  I can always provide these
> monoids myself, but I feel like they belong in Data.Monoid.
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Gabriel Gonzalez | 27 Dec 21:31 2012

On 12/27/2012 02:25 PM, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to have a real algebraic type instead of wrapping
> Maybe?
> Something like
>    data Maximum a = MinusInfinity | Maximum a
>    data Minimum a = PlusInfinity  | Minimum a
> Maximum x is more concise than Maximum (Just x), and MinusInfinity is
> more descriptive than Maximum Nothing. getMaximum/getMinimum functions
> can still return Maybes.
> Anyway, I'm +1 to having something along these lines.
> Roman
Interesting.  Then you can recapitulate the original Maybe API using:

getMaximum :: Maximum a -> Maybe a
getMinimum :: Minimum a -> Maybe a

One slight disadvantage is that there might be a tiny overhead for
converting between Maximum/Minimum and Maybe, but I doubt that would be
a bottle-neck in any application.

Another disadvantage is then it sets a precedent for redefining the
First and Last Monoids to similarly more descriptive types.  When I did
it the Maybe way I was just copying the way First and Last worked.
Roman Cheplyaka | 27 Dec 21:45 2012

* Gabriel Gonzalez <gabriel439 <at> gmail.com> [2012-12-27 14:31:05-0600]
> On 12/27/2012 02:25 PM, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> >Wouldn't it be better to have a real algebraic type instead of wrapping
> >Maybe?
> >Something like
> >   data Maximum a = MinusInfinity | Maximum a
> >   data Minimum a = PlusInfinity  | Minimum a
> >Maximum x is more concise than Maximum (Just x), and MinusInfinity is
> >more descriptive than Maximum Nothing. getMaximum/getMinimum functions
> >can still return Maybes.
> >Anyway, I'm +1 to having something along these lines.
> >Roman
> Interesting.  Then you can recapitulate the original Maybe API using:
> getMaximum :: Maximum a -> Maybe a
> getMinimum :: Minimum a -> Maybe a
> One slight disadvantage is that there might be a tiny overhead for
> converting between Maximum/Minimum and Maybe, but I doubt that would
> be a bottle-neck in any application.

But the type isn't abstract, so nothing prevents one from using direct
pattern matching in tight loops.

> Another disadvantage is then it sets a precedent for redefining the
> First and Last Monoids to similarly more descriptive types.  When I
> did it the Maybe way I was just copying the way First and Last
> worked.

I don't think the analogy holds. First and Last are wrappers for Maybe
by intention — they are needed because we can't have two different
instances for Maybe (although both of them make sense).

In this case, however, Maybe is used artificially to "lift" numbers.
Monoidal instance for Maybe corresponding to 'max' would look rather
weird.

Finally, we have nice names for mempty of Maximum/Minimum but not of
First/Last.

Roman

Gabriel Gonzalez | 27 Dec 22:13 2012

On 12/27/2012 02:45 PM, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> I don't think the analogy holds. First and Last are wrappers for Maybe
> by intention — they are needed because we can't have two different
> instances for Maybe (although both of them make sense).
> In this case, however, Maybe is used artificially to "lift" numbers.
> Monoidal instance for Maybe corresponding to 'max' would look rather
> weird.
> Finally, we have nice names for mempty of Maximum/Minimum but not of
> First/Last.
> Roman
Good point.  Now I'm slightly in favor of Roman's approach.  Count me as
+0.2 for Roman's version.

Sjoerd Visscher | 27 Dec 22:14 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

Can't you use Option (Max a) from the semigroups package?

Sjoerd

On Dec 27, 2012, at 7:45 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez <gabriel439 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but would it be possible to add the Maximum and Minimum
monoids to Data.Monoid?  The following implementations extend the traditional semigroups using Maybe.
> ******
> newtype Maximum a = Maximum { getMaximum :: Maybe a }
> instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Maximum a) where
>    mempty = Maximum Nothing
>    mappend (Maximum Nothing) m2 = m2
>    mappend m1 (Maximum Nothing) = m1
>    mappend (Maximum (Just a1)) (Maximum (Just a2)) = Maximum (Just (max a1 a2))
> newtype Minimum a = Minimum { getMinimum :: Maybe a }
> instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Minimum a) where
>    mempty = Minimum Nothing
>    mappend (Minimum Nothing) m2 = m2
>    mappend m1 (Minimum Nothing) = m1
>    mappend (Minimum (Just a1)) (Minimum (Just a2)) = Minimum (Just (min a1 a2))
> ******
> These also give the correct behavior when folding empty structures by returning Nothing.
> The reason I'm asking is that my `pipes` library uses `WriterT` to implement folds and having the above
monoids lets me implement minimum and maximum folds elegantly.  I can always provide these monoids
myself, but I feel like they belong in Data.Monoid.
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 28 Dec 01:13 2012

Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd <at> w3future.com> writes:

> Can't you use Option (Max a) from the semigroups package?

This was my first thought as well; IMHO, the elementary Minimum/Maximum
operation forms a semigroup rather than a monoid.

cheers,
  hvr
Gershom Bazerman | 28 Dec 03:26 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

I agree that it's more correct to leave them as semigroups. The real
path should be to move the semigroup package into the platform for the
next release. (And, eventually, subsequent to that, to remove First and
Last from Data.Monoid entirely).

Gershom

On 12/27/12 7:13 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd <at> w3future.com> writes:
>> Can't you use Option (Max a) from the semigroups package?
> This was my first thought as well; IMHO, the elementary Minimum/Maximum
> operation forms a semigroup rather than a monoid.
> cheers,
>    hvr
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Gregory Collins | 28 Dec 07:14 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Gershom Bazerman <gershomb <at> gmail.com> wrote:
The real path should be to move the semigroup package into the platform for the next release. (And, eventually, subsequent to that, to remove First and Last from Data.Monoid entirely).

+1, Completely agree.

Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net>
Michael Snoyman | 28 Dec 07:20 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net> wrote:

+1, Completely agree.

+1 for moving semigroups into the platform, but what's the motivation for removing First and Last from Data.Monoid?

Michael
Gershom Bazerman | 28 Dec 07:30 2012

On 12/28/12 1:20 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> +1 for moving semigroups into the platform, but what's the motivation
> for removing First and Last from Data.Monoid?

Because they're properly represented as semigroups too, just like Min
and Max (i.e. they don't behave sensibly "out of the box" on empty
lists). The semigroups package already provides the proper types and
instances. And just like Min and Max, the semigroups package lets you
"lift" its First and Last into Monoids with the Option type.

--Gershom
Michael Snoyman | 28 Dec 07:37 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Gershom Bazerman <gershomb <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/28/12 1:20 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:

Because they're properly represented as semigroups too, just like Min and Max (i.e. they don't behave sensibly "out of the box" on empty lists). The semigroups package already provides the proper types and instances. And just like Min and Max, the semigroups package lets you "lift" its First and Last into Monoids with the Option type.

Just because such a lifting is possible doesn't mean that it will be intuitive or obvious to new users. (I wouldn't know how to make this switch, for example.) First and Last as currently provided by the Data.Monoid module provide some very useful functionality; I've used them in the past for such things as representing nested config files. I wouldn't want to provide a default value for the options, but want to use the first (or last) value in the file.

So count me as -1 to modifications to First and Last.

Michael
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 28 Dec 10:42 2012

Hi,

Michael Snoyman <michael <at> snoyman.com> writes:
[...]
>> Because they're properly represented as semigroups too, just like Min and
>> Max (i.e. they don't behave sensibly "out of the box" on empty lists). The
>> semigroups package already provides the proper types and instances. And
>> just like Min and Max, the semigroups package lets you "lift" its First and
>> Last into Monoids with the Option type.

> Just because such a lifting is possible doesn't mean that it will be
> intuitive or obvious to new users. (I wouldn't know how to make this
> switch, for example.)

...this seems to call for better documentation (including
examples) of the Data.Semigroup.Option Monoid instance then.

Do you have an example where it might not be obvious how to use

Option (Semigroup.First a)

instead of

Monoid.First a

?

cheers,
  hvr
Michael Snoyman | 28 Dec 10:58 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> wrote:
Hi,

Michael Snoyman <michael <at> snoyman.com> writes:
[...]
>> Because they're properly represented as semigroups too, just like Min and
>> Max (i.e. they don't behave sensibly "out of the box" on empty lists). The
>> semigroups package already provides the proper types and instances. And
>> just like Min and Max, the semigroups package lets you "lift" its First and
>> Last into Monoids with the Option type.

> Just because such a lifting is possible doesn't mean that it will be
> intuitive or obvious to new users. (I wouldn't know how to make this
> switch, for example.)

...this seems to call for better documentation (including
examples) of the Data.Semigroup.Option Monoid instance then.

Do you have an example where it might not be obvious how to use

Option (Semigroup.First a)

instead of

Monoid.First a

?

cheers,
  hvr

I'm simply approaching this from the standpoint of a new user. Monoid is enough of a hurdle to try and learn and understand properly. Now that the user has learnt about Monoid, he/she goes to Data.Monoid because the Hoogle documentation leads there, and currently finds the First and Last datatypes. Case closed, objective achieved.

If we remove First and Last, then the user now needs to:

1. Realize that semigroups exist
2. Realize that they are related to Monoid
3. Find the documentation for them
4. Understand that Option can be composed with First to create a Monoid

Perhaps adding a bunch of documentation to Data.Monoid could solve this, but I simply don't see that the current First and Last datatypes are problematic enough that they should actually be removed.

Michael
Roman Cheplyaka | 28 Dec 11:40 2012

* Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> [2012-12-28 10:42:06+0100]
> Hi,
> Michael Snoyman <michael <at> snoyman.com> writes:
> [...]
> >> Because they're properly represented as semigroups too, just like Min and
> >> Max (i.e. they don't behave sensibly "out of the box" on empty lists). The
> >> semigroups package already provides the proper types and instances. And
> >> just like Min and Max, the semigroups package lets you "lift" its First and
> >> Last into Monoids with the Option type.
> > Just because such a lifting is possible doesn't mean that it will be
> > intuitive or obvious to new users. (I wouldn't know how to make this
> > switch, for example.)
> ...this seems to call for better documentation (including
> examples) of the Data.Semigroup.Option Monoid instance then.
> Do you have an example where it might not be obvious how to use
>   Option (Semigroup.First a)
> instead of
>   Monoid.First a
> ?

I disagree that Monoid.First is not useful by itself.

It solves the problem when you already have a list (or another data
structure) of Maybes, and want to fold them.

Expressing this through Option and Semigroup.First would require more
code and run-time conversions.

Roman
John Lato | 28 Dec 01:29 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

+1 for something like this.  I've written these at least once, and encountered them on a few more occasions.

I would prefer specific types as Roman suggests, I think.  I prefer to match on Plus/MinusInfinity rather than going via Maybe.

John L.

Something like

data Maximum a = MinusInfinity | Maximum a
  data Minimum a = PlusInfinity  | Minimum a

Maximum x is more concise than Maximum (Just x), and MinusInfinity is
more descriptive than Maximum Nothing. getMaximum/getMinimum functions
can still return Maybes.

Anyway, I'm +1 to having something along these lines.

Roman
wren ng thornton | 28 Dec 05:19 2012

On 12/27/12 1:45 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
> I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but would it be
> possible to add the Maximum and Minimum monoids to Data.Monoid?  The
> following implementations extend the traditional semigroups using Maybe.

If we're going to go ahead with this, I've preferred using the following
suite which has a number of useful generalizations on the theme. The
only downside is that some of these require FlexibleInstances and
KindSignatures.

-- | The 'Monoid' given by  <at> ('max','minBound') <at>
newtype Max a = Max a
     deriving (Eq, Ord, Show, Read, Bounded)

-- | Unwrap a 'Max' value. Not using record syntax to define this,
-- in order to pretty up the derived 'Show' instance.
getMax :: Max a -> a
getMax (Max a) = a

instance Functor Max where
     fmap f (Max a) = Max (f a)

instance (Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Max a) where
     mempty  = Max minBound
     mappend = max

-- | The 'Monoid' given by  <at> ('min','maxBound') <at>
newtype Min a = Min a
     deriving (Eq, Ord, Show, Read, Bounded)

-- | Unwrap a 'Min' value. Not using record syntax to define this,
-- in order to pretty up the derived 'Show' instance.
getMin :: Min a -> a
getMin (Min a) = a

instance Functor Min where
     fmap f (Min a) = Min (f a)

instance (Ord a, Bounded a) => Monoid (Min a) where
     mempty  = Min maxBound
     mappend = min

-- | Monoids for unbounded ordered types, with  <at> Nothing <at>  serving
-- as the extreme bound.
newtype Priority (m :: * -> *) a = Priority (Maybe a)
     deriving (Read, Show, Eq)

-- | Constructor for a 'Priority' value.
mkPriority :: (Ord a) => a -> Priority m a
mkPriority x = Priority (Just x)

-- | Monomorphized version of 'mkPriority' for convenience.
mkPriorityMax :: (Ord a) => a -> Priority Max a
mkPriorityMax = mkPriority

-- | Monomorphized version of 'mkPriority' for convenience.
mkPriorityMin :: (Ord a) => a -> Priority Min a
mkPriorityMin = mkPriority

-- | Unwrap a 'Priority' value. Not using record syntax to define
-- this, in order to pretty up the derived 'Show' instance.
getPriority :: Priority m a -> Maybe a
getPriority (Priority a) = a

instance Functor (Priority m) where
     fmap f (Priority ma) = Priority (fmap f ma)

----------------------------------------------------------------
-- | The smallest value for  <at> Priority Max <at> .
minfinity :: Priority Max a
minfinity = Priority Nothing

instance Ord a => Ord (Priority Max a) where
     Priority Nothing  `compare` Priority Nothing  = EQ
     Priority Nothing  `compare` _                 = LT
     _                 `compare` Priority Nothing  = GT
     Priority (Just a) `compare` Priority (Just b) = a `compare` b

instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Priority Max a) where
     mempty  = minfinity
     mappend = max

----------------------------------------------------------------
-- | The largest value for  <at> Priority Min <at> .
infinity :: Priority Min a
infinity = Priority Nothing

instance Ord a => Ord (Priority Min a) where
     Priority Nothing  `compare` Priority Nothing  = EQ
     Priority Nothing  `compare` _                 = GT
     _                 `compare` Priority Nothing  = LT
     Priority (Just a) `compare` Priority (Just b) = a `compare` b

instance (Ord a) => Monoid (Priority Min a) where
     mempty  = infinity
     mappend = min

-- | Coalesce the  <at> Nothing <at>  of 'Priority' and the extreme bound of
-- 'Min'\/'Max'. This is helpful for maintaining sparse maps, where
-- absent keys are mapped to the extreme value.
class Prioritizable m where
     toPriority   :: (Eq a, Bounded a) => m a -> Priority m a
     fromPriority :: (Bounded a) => Priority m a -> m a

instance Prioritizable Max where
     toPriority (Max a)
         | a == minBound = Priority Nothing
         | otherwise     = Priority (Just a)

fromPriority (Priority Nothing)  = Max minBound
     fromPriority (Priority (Just a)) = Max a

instance Prioritizable Min where
     toPriority (Min a)
         | a == maxBound = Priority Nothing
         | otherwise     = Priority (Just a)

fromPriority (Priority Nothing)  = Min maxBound
     fromPriority (Priority (Just a)) = Min a

----------------------------------------------------------------
-- | A type for min-\/maximizing a function of type  <at> (Ord b) => (a -> b) <at> .
-- When there are multiple arguments with the same min-\/maximum
-- value, 'mappend' returns the first one but the traversable
-- functions may return an arbitrary one depending on their order
-- of traversal. If the function is injective, then there can be
-- no confusion (i.e., we won't need to choose).
-- Technically, this type should also be annotated by the function
-- it min-\/maximizes, but that would require dependent types. Using
-- the monoid operations on values generated by different functions
-- will yield meaningless results.
newtype Arg (m :: * -> *) a b = Arg (Maybe (b,a))
     -- N.B., we chose this order for the pair in order to
     -- facilitate nested argmaxing
     -- N.B., constructor isn't exported, for correctness.

-- | Constructor for an 'Arg' value. Using the monoid operations
-- on values generated by different functions will yield meaningless
-- results.
mkArg :: (Ord b) => (a -> b) -> a -> Arg m a b
mkArg f x = Arg (Just (f x, x))

-- | Monomorphized version of 'mkArg' for convenience.
mkArgMax :: (Ord b) => (a -> b) -> a -> Arg Max a b
mkArgMax = mkArg

-- | Monomorphized version of 'mkArg' for convenience.
mkArgMin :: (Ord b) => (a -> b) -> a -> Arg Min a b
mkArgMin = mkArg

-- | Destructor for 'Arg' returning both the argmin\/-max and the
-- min\/max.  <at> Nothing <at>  represents min-\/maximization over the empty
-- set.
getArgWithValue :: Arg m a b -> Maybe (b,a)
getArgWithValue (Arg x) = x

-- | Destructor for 'Arg' returning only the argmin\/-max.  <at> Nothing <at>
-- represents min-\/maximization over the empty set.
getArg :: Arg m a b -> Maybe a

Arg Nothing       -> mb
         Arg (Just (fa,_)) ->
             case mb of
             Arg Nothing       -> ma
             Arg (Just (fb,_)) -> if fa <= fb then ma else mb

----------------------------------------------------------------
-- | A type for min-\/maximizing a non-injective function of type
--  <at> (Ord b) => (a -> b) <at> . This variant of 'Arg' will return all
-- values that min-\/maximize the function. Using 'mappend' they
-- will be returned in order, but the traversable functions may
-- return them in an arbitrary order depending on the order of
-- traversal. Duplicates will be preserved regardless.
-- Technically, this type should also be annotated by the function
-- it min-\/maximizes, but that would require dependent types. Using
-- the monoid operations on values generated by different functions
-- will yield meaningless results.
newtype Args (m :: * -> *) a b = Args (Maybe (b,[a]))
     -- N.B., constructor isn't exported, for correctness.

-- | Constructor for an 'Args' value. Using the monoid operations
-- on values generated by different functions will yield meaningless
-- results.
mkArgs :: (Ord b) => (a -> b) -> a -> Args m a b
mkArgs f x = Args (Just (f x, [x]))

-- | Monomorphized version of 'mkArgs' for convenience.
mkArgsMax :: (Ord b) => (a -> b) -> a -> Args Max a b
mkArgsMax = mkArgs

-- | Monomorphized version of 'mkArgs' for convenience.
mkArgsMin :: (Ord b) => (a -> b) -> a -> Args Min a b
mkArgsMin = mkArgs

-- | Destructor for 'Args' returning both the argmins\/-maxes and
-- the min\/max.  <at> Nothing <at>  represents min-\/maximization over the
-- empty set.
getArgsWithValue :: Args m a b -> Maybe (b,[a])
getArgsWithValue (Args x) = x

-- | Destructor for 'Args' returning only the argmins\/-maxes. The
-- empty list represents min-\/maximization over the empty set.
getArgs :: Args m a b -> [a]
getArgs = maybe [] snd . getArgsWithValue

instance (Ord b) => Monoid (Args Max a b) where
     mempty = Args Nothing

mappend ma mb =
         case ma of
         Args Nothing        -> mb
         Args (Just (fa,as)) ->
             case mb of
             Args Nothing        -> ma
             Args (Just (fb,bs)) ->
                 case compare fa fb of
                 GT -> ma
                 EQ -> Args (Just (fa, as++bs))
                 LT -> mb

instance (Ord b) => Monoid (Args Min a b) where
     mempty = Args Nothing

mappend ma mb =
         case ma of
         Args Nothing        -> mb
         Args (Just (fa,as)) ->
             case mb of
             Args Nothing        -> ma
             Args (Just (fb,bs)) ->
                 case compare fa fb of
                 LT -> ma
                 EQ -> Args (Just (fa, as++bs))
                 GT -> mb

----------------------------------------------------------- fin.

Live well,
~wren
wren ng thornton | 30 Dec 00:18 2012

On 12/29/12 8:29 AM, Strake wrote:> and (Max a) and (Min a) are not
properly monoids.

They're monoids just fine. It's just that their identity element need not
be in the set being folded over.

> We could define these:
> Supr, Infi :: * -> *

Please please, if we're going to abbreviate mathematical terms then we
ought to stick to the standard mathematical abbreviations: sup, inf.

Personally, I'm fine with Min and Max as they are, because in particular
they capture the fact that we're dealing with total orders here. That is,
other than for empty sets, they do in fact return the maximum/minimum.
Whereas Sup and Inf bring to mind the fact that what we're dealing with is
a complete lattice, which need not be a total order. While Sup and Inf
make perfectly good monoids/semigroups, I'd prefer if they properly allow
all complete lattices rather than being unnecessarily restricted to Ord.

Live well,
~wren
Ben Millwood | 30 Dec 01:25 2012

Re: Maximum and Minimum monoids

> Please please, if we're going to abbreviate mathematical terms then we
> ought to stick to the standard mathematical abbreviations: sup, inf.

Agreed.

> Personally, I'm fine with Min and Max as they are, because in particular
> they capture the fact that we're dealing with total orders here. That is,
> other than for empty sets, they do in fact return the maximum/minimum.
> Whereas Sup and Inf bring to mind the fact that what we're dealing with is
> a complete lattice, which need not be a total order. While Sup and Inf
> make perfectly good monoids/semigroups, I'd prefer if they properly allow
> all complete lattices rather than being unnecessarily restricted to Ord.

I think your concerns here are legitimate, but I have to agree with
Herbert that reference "maximal element" is problematic.

Is there anything wrong with just using the Max semigroup and, e.g.
`sconcat . (minBound :|)`, or something similar?
wren ng thornton | 2 Jan 05:05 2013

On 12/29/12 7:25 PM, Ben Millwood wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM, wren ng thornton <wren <at> freegeek.org> wrote:
>> Please please, if we're going to abbreviate mathematical terms then we
>> ought to stick to the standard mathematical abbreviations: sup, inf.
> Agreed.
>> Personally, I'm fine with Min and Max as they are, because in particular
>> they capture the fact that we're dealing with total orders here. That is,
>> other than for empty sets, they do in fact return the maximum/minimum.
>> Whereas Sup and Inf bring to mind the fact that what we're dealing with is
>> a complete lattice, which need not be a total order. While Sup and Inf
>> make perfectly good monoids/semigroups, I'd prefer if they properly allow
>> all complete lattices rather than being unnecessarily restricted to Ord.
> I think your concerns here are legitimate, but I have to agree with
> Herbert that reference "maximal element" is problematic.

I agree that it is problematic, just not quite as problematic as the OP
made it out to be.

> Is there anything wrong with just using the Max semigroup and, e.g.
> `sconcat . (minBound :|)`, or something similar?

Nothing wrong at all :)  I'd love to see semigroups become a more
welcomed part of the core litany of Haskell.

Live well,