Bryan O'Sullivan | 12 Feb 05:15 2013

Can we move bytestring to github?

Hi, Duncan -

The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring, but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker. I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has served several of our core packages well.

I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on github.

So... pretty pretty please.
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 12 Feb 05:32 2013

On 12 February 2013 15:15, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com> wrote:
> Hi, Duncan -
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has served
> several of our core packages well.
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.
> So... pretty pretty please.

Would hub.darcs.net suffice, as it has a bug-tracker, etc. there as
well (even if it doesn't have as pretty a UI as github)?

> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
Bryan O'Sullivan | 12 Feb 05:43 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Would hub.darcs.net suffice, as it has a bug-tracker, etc. there as
well (even if it doesn't have as pretty a UI as github)?

Seems a bit unlikely, but if Duncan isn't willing to give up darcs, we could try it - provided the repo could be administered by multiple people. There's a good number of solid people already managing github.com/haskell, so we have a reasonable chance of bugs being triaged and patches accepted in finite time. The existing management structure there helps to tip the scale a bit.
John Wiegley | 12 Feb 05:43 2013

>>>>> Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com> writes:

> darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker. I'd like
> to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has served several of
> our core packages well.

> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.

+100

John Wiegley
FP Complete                         Haskell tools, training and consulting
http://fpcomplete.com               johnw on #haskell/irc.freenode.net
Johan Tibell | 12 Feb 05:51 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com> wrote:

Hi, Duncan -

So... pretty pretty please.

Simon Meier | 12 Feb 08:37 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

+1, I think this would also help me (and possibly Leon Smith)
finishing the polish bytestring builder. I'm pretty sure that having
an issue tracker and an overview of the state of the different forks
would have avoided the merge hickups of the builder last September.

2013/2/12 Johan Tibell <johan.tibell <at> gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi, Duncan -
>> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to
>> bytestring, but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no
>> bug tracker. I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place
>> that has served several of our core packages well.
>> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
>> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
>> github.
>> So... pretty pretty please.
> +1
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Milan Straka | 12 Feb 08:34 2013

Hi all,

> -----Original message-----
> From: Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com>
> Sent: 11 Feb 2013, 20:15
> Hi, Duncan -
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has
> served several of our core packages well.
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.

+1 here.

For containers, this was a good step -- we got several contributions
since moving to github. I believe many people are more familiar with
github than darcs.

Milan
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 12 Feb 08:49 2013

On 12 February 2013 18:34, Milan Straka <fox <at> ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>> -----Original message-----
>> From: Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com>
>> Sent: 11 Feb 2013, 20:15
>> Hi, Duncan -
>> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
>> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
>> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has
>> served several of our core packages well.
>> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
>> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
>> github.
> +1 here.
> For containers, this was a good step -- we got several contributions
> since moving to github. I believe many people are more familiar with
> github than darcs.

Isn't this an apples vs oranges comparison though? ;-)

> Cheers,

> >> -----Original message-----
> >> From: Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com>
> >> Sent: 11 Feb 2013, 20:15
> >>
> >> Hi, Duncan -
> >>
> >> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
> >> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
> >> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has
> >> served several of our core packages well.
> >>
> >> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> >> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> >> github.
> > +1 here.
> > For containers, this was a good step -- we got several contributions
> > since moving to github. I believe many people are more familiar with
> > github than darcs.
> Isn't this an apples vs oranges comparison though? ;-)

Well, yes and no. Yes, the parallel to darcs is git, so maybe I should
have said git than darcs. On the other hand, with containers,
previously a newcomer would get a darcs repo and a mailing list. Now
they get git plus github with its services (issues, pull requests,
per-line comments in their diffs) and they are familiar with it.

So for me it is github vs darcs at this time.

Of course, one could implement all these features and then it would be
github vs. darcs + our_thumping_feature_providing_whatever :)

Milan
Gregory Collins | 12 Feb 10:54 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Milan Straka <fox <at> ucw.cz> wrote:

So for me it is github vs darcs at this time.

Of course, one could implement all these features and then it would be
github vs. darcs + our_thumping_feature_providing_whatever :)

We're not capable. Github has dozens and dozens of full-time engineers actively working on improving their service and keeping it running. Not only is the user experience so much better than the alternatives, they have a large team dedicated to keeping the infrastructure running. +1 from me for moving as much stuff to Github as possible, which IMO is so awesome that I'm willing to give them money every month twice over (once for myself and once for the Snap Framework organization).

G
Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net>
Vincent Hanquez | 12 Feb 08:56 2013

On 02/12/2013 04:15 AM, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Hi, Duncan -
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has
> served several of our core packages well.
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.
> So... pretty pretty please.

I would prefer everyone to use their DVCS of choice, but it came up many
times for me to try to get to the source or a bug tracker for
bytestring, and I think github would make it much better for a canonical
place to contribute and watch changes/issues.

Vincent
Henning Thielemann | 12 Feb 11:31 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> Hi, Duncan -
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring, but darcs is a big wall at this
> point, and the package has no bug tracker. I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that
> has served several of our core packages well.
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that we'll get many more contributions
> (both patches and problem reports) on github.

My experience is different: Since your llvm package moved to github I got
no more patches into it and it seems others have problems as well and thus
there are now several llvm forks ...

My patches to wxhaskell are now laying around for many months and no one
reacts to my pull requests. My impression is that 'darcs send' and 'darcs
apply' worked better.

I am now forced to use git in many projects and on a monthly basis we have
problems with patches accidentally pushed on the wrong branch, that are
hard to remove. It's much more difficult to run tests per commit, which
causes many patches to go into the repository that break the package. For
me please no more git, and no more github!
Bardur Arantsson | 12 Feb 18:04 2013

On 02/12/2013 11:31 AM, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> Hi, Duncan -
>> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to
>> bytestring, but darcs is a big wall at this
>> point, and the package has no bug tracker. I'd like to move it under
>> http://github.com/haskell, a place that
>> has served several of our core packages well.
>> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience
>> that we'll get many more contributions
>> (both patches and problem reports) on github.
> I am now forced to use git in many projects and on a monthly basis we
> have problems with patches accidentally pushed on the wrong branch, that
> are hard to remove.

git revert

(Note that it can handle a range of commits)

> It's much more difficult to run tests per commit,

I don't understand what you mean... can you elaborate?

> which causes many patches to go into the repository that break the
> package. For me please no more git, and no more github!
Ian Lynagh | 12 Feb 20:12 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 08:15:51PM -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.

Have you got any evidence for that?

I've just skimmed the "RFC: migrating to git" thread on
glasgow-haskell-users <at>  in Jan 2011, and a handful of people gave some
sort of indication that they might contribute (or contribute more) if
GHC and its libraries switched to git. However, looking for them in the
git commit logs (which admittedly isn't necessarily going to find all
contributions from them, but it's the best I can easily do) for the
almost-2-years since we migrated finds very few patches from them:

Adam Wick <awick <at> galois.com>
    And just to show that you can't make everyone happy ... I'll put in an
    equal-and-opposite vote  from Malcolm. GHC's use of darcs is a blocker
    for me even thinking about doing any work on GHC or the related
    libraries; my limited experience with darcs has been terrible, and the
    swearing I've heard about darcs makes me think my experience was not
    unique. Switching to git would make the chance that I'd do work on GHC
    nonzero.
$ ./sync-all log --since "1 April 2011" | grep -i Wick
$

Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod <at> gmail.com>
    I fully support this (especially if it lived on github), but we should
    probably sort the top contributors to GHC in the past year or so and
    consider their opinions on the matter in that order :) I certainly would not
    be on that list. A git(hub)-based workflow would however facilitate any
    minor contributions I might make (and I'd imagine those of many others).
$ ./sync-all log --since "1 April 2011" | grep -i "Peebles\|pumpkin"
<finds 4 patches, of which 3 are really one change split over 3 repos>
$ ./sync-all log --before "1 April 2011" | grep -i "Peebles\|pumpkin"
<finds 2 patches, related to a single change>

Chris Dornan <chris <at> chrisdornan.com>
    I suspect a transition to Git would work out well in the long run and
    make the GHC sources more accessible.
$ ./sync-all log --since "1 April 2011" | grep -i Dornan
<finds 10 patches, but they're all in xhtml, which is maintained by Chris>

Norman Ramsey <nr <at> cs.tufts.edu>
    I'd be thrilled to see GHC migrate to git, and I'd be much more likely
    to make new contributions to the back end.
$ ./sync-all log --since "1 April 2011" | grep -i Ramsey
<12 lines match, but all in hoopl, which is maintained by Norman>

Trevor Elliott <trevor <at> galois.com>
    I am very interested in contributing to GHC, though the state of
    development with darcs makes me hesitate.  A switch to git would make
    contribution to the project much easier.
$ ./sync-all log --since "1 April 2011" | grep -i Trevor
Author: Trevor Elliott <trevor <at> galois.com>
$

I skipped 2 people, but I believe they both did internships at MSR
and/or a SoC project involving working on GHC, so I don't think they
necessarily tell us much about the VCS choice.

David Peixotto <dmp <at> rice.edu>
    As an infrequent contributor I would welcome the move to git. I think the
    biggest advantage from my perspective would be enabling branches which I
    have avoided up to now because of the painful process I hear about from
    others.
Max Bolingbroke <batterseapower <at> hotmail.com>
    Well, as a sometime-contributor I would certainly be happier hacking
    on GHC if it were git based.

Thanks
Ian
Johan Tibell | 12 Feb 20:29 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 08:15:51PM -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.

Have you got any evidence for that?

I looked at the contribution graphs for cabal and they seem to support this. There's of course no guarantee that moving your project to GitHub will increase collaboration. It depends on the project and other circumstances as well.

That being said, many core library contributors use GitHub exclusively nowadays.

Bryan O'Sullivan | 12 Feb 20:30 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:

Have you got any evidence for that?

Certainly - look at packages such as network, containers, and unordered-containers on github.
Ian Lynagh | 12 Feb 21:07 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:30:13AM -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
> > Have you got any evidence for that?
> Certainly - look at packages such as network, containers, and
> unordered-containers on github.

AFAIK, unordered-containers has always been on github, so I don't see
how that can give any evidence that using git or being on github means a
project will "get many more contributions".

Unless you're comparing it to a different project (in which case the
different project goals, different set of users, different maintainer,
different level of activity by maintainer, etc, are all likely to be
more significant factors IMO).

Thanks
Ian
Simon Marlow | 15 Feb 18:25 2013

On 12/02/13 19:12, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 08:15:51PM -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
>> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
>> github.
> Have you got any evidence for that?
> I've just skimmed the "RFC: migrating to git" thread on
> glasgow-haskell-users <at>  in Jan 2011, and a handful of people gave some
> sort of indication that they might contribute (or contribute more) if
> GHC and its libraries switched to git. However, looking for them in the
> git commit logs (which admittedly isn't necessarily going to find all
> contributions from them, but it's the best I can easily do) for the
> almost-2-years since we migrated finds very few patches from them:

To be fair, GHC isn't really using github, we're using Trac.  The
original assertion was that github would make it easier to contribute to
bytestring, which doesn't have a Trac.  So no bug tracker or wiki or
source code browser, and no way to keep track of contributions.  It's a
no brainer, if you ask me.  Switching to git is a small price to pay
(and git does get the job done, like it not).

When GHC switched to git it was not primarily to increase the rate of
contributions, although we hoped that would happen too.  It was to make
branching and merging easier, and I think there's ample evidence of that
- we used to have approximately zero active branches, and now we have
several.

Simon
Duncan Coutts | 15 Feb 18:41 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 20:15 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Hi, Duncan -
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.

Ah but that's because it has no bugs ;-)

(It actually does have a bug tracker, it's a component in the ghc trac.
It's true that it doesn't get used much, but then there have been very
few bugs in recent years.)

> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has
> served several of our core packages well.
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.
> So... pretty pretty please.

Git (and github) does make me less productive (I have found [1]), but
this can be counterbalanced by getting more contributions (this has been
true for Cabal). For bytestring where it's mostly in maintenance mode so
I don't have to hack on it that often, the balance I think goes in
favour of moving it to github.

Duncan

[1]: I'll spare you the rants ;-)
Bryan O'Sullivan | 15 Feb 19:07 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

OK - thank you for being so accommodating on this. I know you're not a git fan (nor am I).

I'll import the darcs repo and follow up with a URL later.
Johan Tibell | 15 Feb 19:13 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com> wrote:

I'll import the darcs repo and follow up with a URL later.

Will you leave the bug database (if there's anything in there) in Trac or move it over?
Bryan O'Sullivan | 15 Feb 19:15 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell <at> gmail.com> wrote:

If there's anything to move, I'll move them.
Ben Millwood | 17 Feb 13:45 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 05:41:47PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 20:15 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> Hi, Duncan -
>> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
>> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
>Ah but that's because it has no bugs ;-)
>(It actually does have a bug tracker, it's a component in the ghc trac.
>It's true that it doesn't get used much, but then there have been very
>few bugs in recent years.)

Crucially, it's not linked from the Hackage page; when I wanted to
report a concern with ByteString I e-mailed the addresses in the
bug-reports field and received no response.

It wasn't terribly important, something about hGetSome being added in a
minor version, but regardless the impression that I got was that there
was nobody paying attention. Moving to Github would fix that but so
would just updating the bug-reports field.

(Nevertheless, I'm generally in favour of things moving to github since
it reduces the number of user interfaces I have to think about, and
reduces how much I am punished for still not working out how to use
darcs.)

Ben
Leon Smith | 7 Mar 12:19 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

Out of curiousity,  how has the bytestring-github migration progressed?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 05:41:47PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 20:15 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
Hi, Duncan -

The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.

Ah but that's because it has no bugs ;-)

(It actually does have a bug tracker, it's a component in the ghc trac.
It's true that it doesn't get used much, but then there have been very
few bugs in recent years.)

Crucially, it's not linked from the Hackage page; when I wanted to report a concern with ByteString I e-mailed the addresses in the bug-reports field and received no response.

It wasn't terribly important, something about hGetSome being added in a minor version, but regardless the impression that I got was that there was nobody paying attention. Moving to Github would fix that but so would just updating the bug-reports field.

(Nevertheless, I'm generally in favour of things moving to github since it reduces the number of user interfaces I have to think about, and reduces how much I am punished for still not working out how to use darcs.)

Ben

Gregory Collins | 7 Mar 14:00 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

We've gotten one pull request for bytestring there, and speaking for myself, the really nice github code review (as well as the fact that I'm subscribed to github.com/haskell notifications) has meant that we've gotten at least one new pair of eyeballs looking at patches.

Out of curiousity,  how has the bytestring-github migration progressed?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 05:41:47PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 20:15 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
Hi, Duncan -

The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.

Ah but that's because it has no bugs ;-)

(It actually does have a bug tracker, it's a component in the ghc trac.
It's true that it doesn't get used much, but then there have been very
few bugs in recent years.)

Ben

Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net>
Bas van Dijk | 7 Mar 14:30 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

BTW it would be nice to make this repo official by releasing a point
release to hackage which lists the new repo in the cabal file.

Bas

On 7 March 2013 14:00, Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net> wrote:
> We've gotten one pull request for bytestring there, and speaking for myself,
> the really nice github code review (as well as the fact that I'm subscribed
> to github.com/haskell notifications) has meant that we've gotten at least
> one new pair of eyeballs looking at patches.
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Leon Smith <leon.p.smith <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Out of curiousity,  how has the bytestring-github migration progressed?
>> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Ben Millwood <haskell <at> benmachine.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 05:41:47PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 20:15 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi, Duncan -
>>>>>
>>>>> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to
>>>>> bytestring,
>>>>> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug
>>>>> tracker.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ah but that's because it has no bugs ;-)
>>>>
>>>> (It actually does have a bug tracker, it's a component in the ghc trac.
>>>> It's true that it doesn't get used much, but then there have been very
>>>> few bugs in recent years.)
>>>
>>>
>>> Crucially, it's not linked from the Hackage page; when I wanted to report
>>> a concern with ByteString I e-mailed the addresses in the bug-reports field
>>> and received no response.
>>>
>>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/bytestring
>>>
>>> It wasn't terribly important, something about hGetSome being added in a
>>> minor version, but regardless the impression that I got was that there was
>>> nobody paying attention. Moving to Github would fix that but so would just
>>> updating the bug-reports field.
>>>
>>> (Nevertheless, I'm generally in favour of things moving to github since
>>> it reduces the number of user interfaces I have to think about, and reduces
>>> how much I am punished for still not working out how to use darcs.)
>>>