Bryan O'Sullivan | 12 Feb 05:15 2013

Can we move bytestring to github?

Hi, Duncan -

The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring, but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker. I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has served several of our core packages well.

I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on github.

So... pretty pretty please.
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 12 Feb 05:32 2013
Picon

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

On 12 February 2013 15:15, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com> wrote:
> Hi, Duncan -
>
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has served
> several of our core packages well.
>
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.
>
> So... pretty pretty please.

Would hub.darcs.net suffice, as it has a bug-tracker, etc. there as
well (even if it doesn't have as pretty a UI as github)?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
Bryan O'Sullivan | 12 Feb 05:43 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

Would hub.darcs.net suffice, as it has a bug-tracker, etc. there as
well (even if it doesn't have as pretty a UI as github)?

Seems a bit unlikely, but if Duncan isn't willing to give up darcs, we could try it - provided the repo could be administered by multiple people. There's a good number of solid people already managing github.com/haskell, so we have a reasonable chance of bugs being triaged and patches accepted in finite time. The existing management structure there helps to tip the scale a bit.
John Wiegley | 12 Feb 05:43 2013

Re: Can we move bytestring to github?

> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring, but
> darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker. I'd like
> to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has served several of
> our core packages well.

> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.

+100

John Wiegley
FP Complete                         Haskell tools, training and consulting
http://fpcomplete.com               johnw on #haskell/irc.freenode.net
Johan Tibell | 12 Feb 05:51 2013