Edward Kmett | 17 Jun 21:44 2013
Picon

[ANNOUNCE] Formation of the Core Libraries Committee

I am pleased to announce the creation of the Haskell Core Libraries Committee.

The Core Libraries Committee was formed to give us a maintainer to many of the libraries that previously fell under "GHC HQ" in the core libraries section of the library submission guidelines. As a maintainer, this committee will follow the guidelines of the libraries submission process collectively:

The main effect of this is that it provides a body that is authorized to actually make decisions about how to proceed with changes to core libraries, and this should help with distributing development effort out into the community in the wake of Simon Marlow's departure from Microsoft Research. From the community's perspective, the creation of this committee provides a way to get more definitive feedback about proposals per the responsiveness guidelines:

The inaugural composition of the committee is as follows:

* Edward Kmett (chair)
* Brent Yorgey
* Michael Snoyman
* Dan Doel
* Doug Beardsley
* Joachim Breitner
* Mark Lentczner (ex-officio, as the Haskell Platform Maintainer)

After the first year, as per the haskell.org committee, the core libraries committee will be seeking self-nominations for two of the members per year on a rolling basis. We'll internally determine which terms are ending after this year and next, and members thereafter will have a three year term, with the possibility to self-renominate.

Thank you. We are looking forward to continuing to work with the community that we all know and love.
Ashley Yakeley | 24 Jun 07:01 2013

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Formation of the Core Libraries Committee

On 2013-06-17 12:44, Edward Kmett wrote:
 > http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions

Weirdly, time is not listed as a core library, even though core
libraries directory, hpc, random, and unix all depend on it. Is this an
oversight?

--
Ashley Yakeley
Edward Kmett | 24 Jun 10:12 2013

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Formation of the Core Libraries Committee

Seems that way to me.

On 2013-06-17 12:44, Edward Kmett wrote:
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions

Weirdly, time is not listed as a core library, even though core libraries directory, hpc, random, and unix all depend on it. Is this an oversight?

--
Ashley Yakeley

Ashley Yakeley | 24 Jun 10:22 2013

Time is a core library

OK, I fixed it. I maintain time and it is a core library. Yell if you
disagree.

-- Ashley

On 2013-06-24 01:12, Edward Kmett wrote:
> Seems that way to me.
>
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Ashley Yakeley <ashley <at> semantic.org
> <mailto:ashley <at> semantic.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 2013-06-17 12:44, Edward Kmett wrote:
>      > http://www.haskell.org/__haskellwiki/Library___submissions
>     <http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions>
>
>     Weirdly, time is not listed as a core library, even though core
>     libraries directory, hpc, random, and unix all depend on it. Is this
>     an oversight?
>
>     --
>     Ashley Yakeley
Simon Peyton-Jones | 24 Jun 10:16 2013
Picon

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Formation of the Core Libraries Committee

|  > http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions
|
| Weirdly, time is not listed as a core library, even though core
| libraries directory, hpc, random, and unix all depend on it. Is this an
| oversight?

That does look odd and inconsistent. I have no idea why.  "The core libraries are a subset of the packages in
the Haskell Platform, and define basic APIs that are expected to be available in any Haskell implementation"

I suggest that someone (eg Ashley) adds it to the
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions
listing Ashley as maintainer.

More generally, the GHC repositories page
	http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Repositories
lists several other libraries that GHC depends on, which are not listed in the Core Libraries list on the
Haskell Wiki.  Eg
	utf8-string, primitive, filepath
and perhaps others (I didn't do a line-by-line comparision).

Would the core-libraries committee like to check over the list?  Thanks!

Simon
Edward A Kmett | 24 Jun 18:35 2013
Picon

Re: [core libraries] RE: [ANNOUNCE] Formation of the Core Libraries Committee

Will do