harry | 25 Jul 13:44 2013
Picon

Install cabal-install without root

I'm trying to bootstrap cabal-install on a shared system where I don't have
root access. It got stuck on:

Linking Setup ...
Configuring zlib-0.5.4.0...
Setup: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing (or bad) header file: zlib.h
* Missing C library: z
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags
--extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it is.

So I unpacked zlib-dev into my home dir, and pointed $LIBRARY_PATH to it,
but I'm still getting the same error. Do I need to modify the .cabal file
for every package that I'm trying to install, or is there some way of
telling it globally where to find libraries on non-standard paths?

Henning Thielemann | 25 Jul 13:48 2013
Picon

Re: Install cabal-install without root

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013, harry wrote:

> So I unpacked zlib-dev into my home dir, and pointed $LIBRARY_PATH to it,
> but I'm still getting the same error. Do I need to modify the .cabal file
> for every package that I'm trying to install, or is there some way of
> telling it globally where to find libraries on non-standard paths?

The library is not the problem. Cabal must find the include files. I think
you can use the --extra-include-dirs option.
harry | 25 Jul 14:33 2013
Picon

Re: Install cabal-install without root

Henning Thielemann wrote
> The library is not the problem. Cabal must find the include files. I think
> you can use the --extra-include-dirs option.

Where should I put the flag? (I don't have cabal install installed yet, I'm
trying to bootstrap it.) I added it to EXTRA_CONFIGURE_OPTS, but this
doesn't seem to have helped.

harry | 25 Jul 14:48 2013
Picon

Re: Install cabal-install without root

I take that back - it was the library that it couldn't find after your
suggestion, the header was actually OK, and I've fixed the library path.
Thanks!