Petr Pudlák | 17 Aug 22:31 2013

suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

Dear haskellers,

currently the instances are defined as

instance (Monoid a, Monoid b) => Monoid (a,b) where mempty = (mempty, mempty) (a1,b1) `mappend` (a2,b2) = (a1 `mappend` a2, b1 `mappend` b2)

However for some applications this isn't lazy enough, for example

-- | Build two lists by folding on a pair of ` Endo` monoids. test = head $ appEndo (fst $ foldMap (f &&& f) [1..]) [] where f = Endo . (:)

never terminates because of the unnecessary pattern matching on the constructor (,) forces evaluation of the whole infinite list.

I suggest to change all Monoid instances for tuples to be like

instance (Monoid a, Monoid b) => Monoid (a,b) where mempty = (mempty, mempty) ~(a1,b1) `mappend` ~(a2,b2) = (a1 `mappend` a2, b1 `mappend` b2) -- ^^^ ^^^

which fixes the problem.

Henning Thielemann | 17 Aug 22:40 2013

Am 17.08.2013 22:31, schrieb Petr Pudlák:
> Dear haskellers,
> currently the instances are defined as
> |instance  (Monoid  a,Monoid  b) =>Monoid  (a,b)where
>          mempty = (mempty, mempty)
>          (a1,b1) `mappend` (a2,b2) = (a1 `mappend` a2, b1 `mappend` b2)|

I think that this instance is correct, since it must hold

forall x. mappend mempty x = x

With your instance you get for x=undefined:

mappend mempty undefined = (undefined, undefined)

However, the "instance Monoid ()" is too lazy, such that it does not
satisfy the identity law.
Petr Pudlák | 18 Aug 20:26 2013

Sat 17 Aug 2013 10:40:50 PM CEST, Henning Thielemann napsal:
> Am 17.08.2013 22:31, schrieb Petr Pudlák:
>> Dear haskellers,
>> currently the instances are defined as
>> |instance (Monoid a,Monoid b) =>Monoid (a,b)where
>> mempty = (mempty, mempty)
>> (a1,b1) `mappend` (a2,b2) = (a1 `mappend` a2, b1 `mappend` b2)|
> I think that this instance is correct, since it must hold
> forall x. mappend mempty x = x
> With your instance you get for x=undefined:
> mappend mempty undefined = (undefined, undefined)
> However, the "instance Monoid ()" is too lazy, such that it does not
> satisfy the identity law.
I have some doubts in this reasoning. Here `undefined` isn't a value we
can compare, it represents a non-terminating program. How can we compare
two non-terminating programs for equality? I'd say we can only say that
two non-terminating programs are unequal, if they produce a partial
results that are different. For example, `(undefined, 1)` is unequal
`(undefined, 2)`. But how can we observe that `undefined` is distinct
from `(undefined, undefined)`? We can't write a correctly terminating
program that would observe this inequality (of course, unless we use IO
and exception catching).

The only thing this additional laziness can change is to make some
non-terminating programs terminating. This is very different than from
having an instance that fails an equality law with defined values, in
such a case we'd be able to observe some programs behave incorrectly.

I'd say that with `undefined` we can fail other equality laws. For
example: For `MonadPlus` we have `m >>= (\x -> mzero) == mzero`. But it

> it clearly fails in
> ```haskell
> undefined >>= (\x -> mzero) :: Maybe Int
> ```
> The result is `undefined` instead of `mzero`. (Or does it mean that
> Maybe is broken?)

Btw/fyi, there was a thread "Monad laws in presence of bottoms" some
time ago on haskell-cafe that seems related:

cheers,
  hvr

Dan Doel | 18 Aug 22:18 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

This came up elsewhere recently, so I guess I should say something.

Equality does not have anything necessarily to do with some ability to 'compare' things decidably. For instance, one can implement the computable real numbers as functions from a precision to a rational approximation at that precision. Given this representation, it is impossible to algorithmically decide that two real numbers are equal; one can only decide that two distinct numbers are not equal. However, that does not mean that a notion of equality does not exist, or that we cannot demonstrate the equality of two real numbers, even if we cannot decide whether two arbitrary numbers are equal or not.

undefined is unequal to (undefined, undefined) because certain programs will behave differently when given the two as input. This is true even though (==) isn't one of those programs.

However, I do think there is a lot to be said toward axioms holding for bottom being a low priority. Roughly, I care about a function's behavior on undefined with regard to how it governs its behavior on well-defined Haskell programs. That is, examining 'f undefined' will tell you how things like 'fix f' will work, but I only care about the latter, not the former, in itself. But the situation under discussion here is exactly one where we are talking about making more programs well-defined, which I tend to think trumps, "this fails a required equation with respect to ill-defined values."

The one thing (that I can see) that the laziness breaks is reducing things like 'm `mappend`
mempty' to just m, and it can only break when the context in which the expression appears requires just the tuple structure to avoid vicious circularity. I'm not sure that's important enough for instant veto.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Sat 17 Aug 2013 10:40:50 PM CEST, Henning Thielemann napsal:

Am 17.08.2013 22:31, schrieb Petr Pudlák:

Dear haskellers,

currently the instances are defined as

|instance (Monoid a,Monoid b) =>Monoid (a,b)where
mempty = (mempty, mempty)
(a1,b1) `mappend` (a2,b2) = (a1 `mappend` a2, b1 `mappend` b2)|

I think that this instance is correct, since it must hold

forall x. mappend mempty x = x

With your instance you get for x=undefined:

mappend mempty undefined = (undefined, undefined)

However, the "instance Monoid ()" is too lazy, such that it does not
satisfy the identity law.

I have some doubts in this reasoning. Here `undefined` isn't a value we can compare, it represents a non-terminating program. How can we compare two non-terminating programs for equality? I'd say we can only say that two non-terminating programs are unequal, if they produce a partial results that are different. For example, `(undefined, 1)` is unequal `(undefined, 2)`. But how can we observe that `undefined` is distinct from `(undefined, undefined)`? We can't write a correctly terminating program that would observe this inequality (of course, unless we use IO and exception catching).

The only thing this additional laziness can change is to make some non-terminating programs terminating. This is very different than from having an instance that fails an equality law with defined values, in such a case we'd be able to observe some programs behave incorrectly.

I'd say that with `undefined` we can fail other equality laws. For example: For `MonadPlus` we have `m >>= (\x -> mzero) == mzero`. But it clearly fails in
```haskell
undefined >>= (\x -> mzero) :: Maybe Int
```
The result is `undefined` instead of `mzero`. (Or does it mean that Maybe is broken?)

Edward Kmett | 18 Aug 22:44 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

This change would spontaneously introduce space-leaks in currently non-leaky code.

It'd be a debugging nightmare for existing users of the product Monoid instance, of whom there are many, who would just see their code start to throw away all their memory on newer GHC versions and have little or no idea why, if they missed news of this update.

As a result I'm -1 on this proposal.

That said, some kind of package that provides a well-reasoned Data.Tuple.Lazy data type could see use, as using it would imply consent to those semantics.

I do not object morally to it, like Henning, merely pragmatically.

-Edward

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Dear haskellers,

currently the instances are defined as

However for some applications this isn't lazy enough, for example

-- | Build two lists by folding on a pair of `Endo` monoids. test = head $ appEndo (fst $ foldMap (f &&& f) [1..]) [] where f = Endo . (:)

I suggest to change all Monoid instances for tuples to be like

which fixes the problem.

Gabriel Gonzalez | 18 Aug 23:21 2013

I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you gave:

Note that your solution is very similar to the solution in the `foldl` package I just released (also based off of the same blog post you got your solution from).  The key differences are that:

* The `foldl` solution is for left folds and uses a strict tuple internally to prevent space leaks
* Your solution is for right folds and uses an extra-lazy tuple internally to promote laziness

This suggests to me that it would be better to keep this extra-lazy tuple as an internal implementation detail of a right-fold package that would be the lazy analogy of `foldl`, rather than modifying the standard Haskell tuple.

On 08/18/2013 01:44 PM, Edward Kmett wrote:

As a result I'm -1 on this proposal.

I do not object morally to it, like Henning, merely pragmatically.

-Edward

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Dear haskellers,

currently the instances are defined as

However for some applications this isn't lazy enough, for example

I suggest to change all Monoid instances for tuples to be like

instance (Monoid a, Monoid b) => Monoi d (a,b) where mempty = (mempty, mempty) ~(a1,b1) `mappend` ~(a2,b2) = (a1 `mappend` a2, b1 `mappend` b2) -- ^^^ ^^^

which fixes the problem.

Libraries <at> haskell.org

_______________________________________________ Libraries mailing list Libraries <at> haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries

Henning Thielemann | 18 Aug 23:37 2013

foldl package (suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples)

Am 18.08.2013 23:21, schrieb Gabriel Gonzalez:

> I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you
> gave:
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/18289075/1026598

That's a nice idea for a fundamental problem.

How about generalizing 'fold' to Foldable types?
Petr Pudlák | 19 Aug 09:29 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

Thank you all for the responses.

Edward's objection is very serious, I didn't think of it.
Because of it I retract the proposal, this would indeed create big problems. (I just wish someone invents an oracle strictness analyzer...)

Instead, as suggested, I'll make a package with `newtype` wrappers for tuples that will provide the extra-lazy monoid semantics. Any ideas for what other type classes except `Monoid` (and `Semigroup`) could be included? Or perhaps even other data types except tuples?

Dne 08/18/2013 11:21 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez napsal(a):
I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you gave:

Yes, this is how I encountered the problem. If I have time I'll make a mirror package `foldr` based on extra-lazy tuples. (Or perhaps we could merge the ideas into a single package.)

Edward Kmett | 19 Aug 14:03 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

If you are looking into a tackling lazy foldr, I'd recommend also including or considering using foldMap as a basis. It can make an asymptotic difference for some folds. I sent Gabriel a version in that style. I'll dig up a copy and send it your way as well.

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.

Edward's objection is very serious, I didn't think of it.

Dne 08/18/2013 11:21 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez napsal(a):
I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you gave:

Petr Pudlák | 19 Aug 15:31 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

This is exactly how I run into the Monoid problem. My original `foldr` version works fine, but when I saw this Gabriel's post:
the monoid variant looked cleaner and nicer so I wanted to redesign my idea using monoids as well. And that was precisely when I realized that (,) isn't lazy enough.

Could you elaborate a bit when/how the asymptotic difference occurs?

Dne 08/19/2013 02:03 PM, Edward Kmett napsal(a):

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.

Edward's objection is very serious, I didn't think of it.

Dne 08/18/2013 11:21 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez napsal(a):
I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you gave:

Edward Kmett | 19 Aug 16:14 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

With foldMap one can have structures that get to explicitly reuse previous intermediate results.

e.g. http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/compressed/3.0.3/doc/html/Data-Compressed-Internal-LZ78.html gives you a list with a more efficient fold by using LZ78 to identify sharing with earlier parts of the list.

With foldr you can't exploit such regularity as you can merely append one element at a time.

Less drastically, with foldMap, you can binary search a tree structure if the foldMap preserves the original associativity of the structure.

The lens package uses this to navigate to keys in a Zipper over a Map to a given key in O(log n) time borrowing the asymptotics from the balance of the underlying structure.

In my current work I'm using "sequence-algebras" and "sequence-trees" to exploit even more structure than foldMap gives me.

I'll probably write up an article at some point soon on the School of Haskell.

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit when/how the asymptotic difference occurs?

Dne 08/19/2013 02:03 PM, Edward Kmett napsal(a):

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.

Edward's objection is very serious, I didn't think of it.

Dne 08/18/2013 11:21 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez napsal(a):
I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you gave:

Petr Pudlák | 19 Aug 16:47 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

Just to be sure that I understand it correctly: If I take foldMap as the basis and I run it on a binary tree with First/Last monoids, I get both result in O(depth). But if I take foldl or foldr as the basis, either searching for the first or for the last element will take O(size), am I right?

Dne 08/19/2013 04:14 PM, Edward Kmett napsal(a):

I'll probably write up an article at some point soon on the School of Haskell.

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit when/how the asymptotic difference occurs?

Dne 08/19/2013 02:03 PM, Edward Kmett napsal(a):

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.

Edward's objection is very serious, I didn't think of it.

Dne 08/18/2013 11:21 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez napsal(a):
I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you gave:

Edward Kmett | 19 Aug 16:49 2013

Re: suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

Yep.I should have reached for the easier examples. :)

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 19, 2013, at 10:47 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Dne 08/19/2013 04:14 PM, Edward Kmett napsal(a):

I'll probably write up an article at some point soon on the School of Haskell.

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit when/how the asymptotic difference occurs?

Dne 08/19/2013 02:03 PM, Edward Kmett napsal(a):

-Edward

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Petr Pudlák <petr.mvd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.

Edward's objection is very serious, I didn't think of it.

Dne 08/18/2013 11:21 PM, Gabriel Gonzalez napsal(a):
I'm guessing this proposal is related to this Stack Overflow answer you gave:

John Wiegley | 19 Aug 06:38 2013

>>>>> Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> writes:

> As a result I'm -1 on this proposal.

> That said, some kind of package that provides a well-reasoned
> Data.Tuple.Lazy data type could see use, as using it would imply consent to
> those semantics.