Mateusz Kowalczyk | 5 Jan 11:15 2014

Broken documentation on Hackage.

Hi all,

It seems that we are having a rather big issue with Hackage in recent
months and I'm sure many of you have noticed: a lot of packages aren't
getting their docs built. As far as I can tell, there can be multiple
reasonable causes:

* Dependencies fail to build so your package does
* Your package fails to build directly
* Your package requires non-cabal libraries which aren't installed
* Your package requires different version of install libraries

While all of these are understandable, there also seem to be problems
with some packages which are seemingly perfectly fine otherwise. This
problem is not new and has been reported[1]. There is even a system in
place with Hackage 2 that would grant package owners to manually upload
documentation and a system where some people (trustees and package
maintainers) have the ability to do things like deleting the broken docs
to have the builder try again[3] but it seems that this isn't actually
used[4].

Over night I hacked up a quick program to parse some Hackage parts to
see just how much stuff was broken. I have only considered the most
recent package versions. Out of the 7761 packages, 811 came up with
missing documentations. While it is a big number (~9.56%), it includes
every package on Hackage. Next thing that follows is to restrict the
search a bit. Only considering packages from 2013 and the still very
young 2014, 210 are missing documentation. 140 of those were uploaded
since August 2013 (around the Hackage 2 move). Remember that this is
only for most recent versions on Hackage. Assuming that we didn't have a

Sven Panne | 5 Jan 15:14 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

My ALUT package is among the ones without documentation, and I have a
theory what's wrong (probably a missing installed C library/package
libalut-dev, see
https://github.com/haskell-openal/ALUT/blob/master/.travis.yml). Two
questions:

* As a package maintainer, how can I find out why the documentation
is not built/published on Hackage? Logs, etc.?

* Who should be contacted to polish the server a bit (i.e. install
libalut-dev)?

Currently things are very opaque from the outside, both from a
technical and from an organizational point of view, and manually
uploading documentation which is effectively guaranteed to be
wrong/outdated/etc. sooner or later is not a solution IMHO.

S.
Mateusz Kowalczyk | 5 Jan 23:38 2014

On 05/01/14 14:14, Sven Panne wrote:
> My ALUT package is among the ones without documentation, and I have a
> theory what's wrong (probably a missing installed C library/package
> libalut-dev, see
> https://github.com/haskell-openal/ALUT/blob/master/.travis.yml). Two
> questions:
>    * As a package maintainer, how can I find out why the documentation
> is not built/published on Hackage? Logs, etc.?

I mention a link to a GitHub post in my opening post which outlines how
to access the log. In case of ALUT, the build log is at [1]
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ALUT-2.3.0.1/reports/1/log and indeed
a C library is missing.

>    * Who should be contacted to polish the server a bit (i.e. install
> libalut-dev)?

No idea, but I'd love to find out myself! I'm just a disgruntled Hackage
user myself.

> Currently things are very opaque from the outside, both from a
> technical and from an organizational point of view, and manually
> uploading documentation which is effectively guaranteed to be
> wrong/outdated/etc. sooner or later is not a solution IMHO.

You would be uploading documentation for a specific package version. So
for example, if you upload something for ALUT 2.3.0.1 and later upload
upload ALUT 2.4, either the docs will be built fine (which would be
ideal) or you will have to upload them yourself again for that version.

Peter Selinger | 5 Jan 19:15 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

I agree. Two of my packages are in your list: easyrender and newsynth
(both have "Nothing" for a reason in your list).

The problem for me is that, although you seem to have access to build
logs, I don't. I have not found the way to access the hackage build
logs for my packages or their documentation. Could you let me know
where I can find them?

For both packages, the documentation builds just fine on my local
machine. It also builds fine in a virtual machine, under Windows and
Ubuntu. Since I don't have access to Hackage's build logs, I cannot
really figure out why the documentation is not building there. This is
what has prevented me from fixing it.

I even created "candidates" for the packages, before uploading the
packages to the main index. Again, the documentation did not build,
and again, I could not find any logs to tell me what went wrong. So
the whole "candidate" mechanism has so far been useless to me.

You mentioned that there is a way to upload the documentation
manually. I'd love to do that. But how? I don't see any buttons or
links on the package maintainer's pages that would allow me to do
that.

Any help appreciated, -- Peter

Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> Hi all,

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 6 Jan 00:18 2014

On 05/01/14 18:15, Peter Selinger wrote:
> I agree. Two of my packages are in your list: easyrender and newsynth
> (both have "Nothing" for a reason in your list).

If a package has Nothing for a reason, that means that no build log is
available. From what I've read yesterday, it's a problem with their
report system and I think it happens when cabal can't find
dependency candidates for your package. I link to a comment on GitHub
in my opening post which explains this.

> The problem for me is that, although you seem to have access to build
> logs, I don't. I have not found the way to access the hackage build
> logs for my packages or their documentation. Could you let me know
> where I can find them?

I do not have any special access to Hackage, I didn't even log in. See
my opening post for how to access the build log or see my reply to
Sven for an example. I really think there should be a button on the
site for this. If the build logs existed for newsynth, you could do
the following: check general build status[1] then check the first
report[2] then check the build log for the first report[3]. If the
build status is empty, you won't have any reports.

Check out [4][5][6] for an example on a package which failed to build
and has logs.

Effectively, the Nothing in my ‘report’ indicates no build status.

> For both packages, the documentation builds just fine on my local
> machine. It also builds fine in a virtual machine, under Windows and

Peter Selinger | 6 Jan 21:00 2014

Thank you, this worked like a charm! (Modulo using dist/doc/html
instead of dist/doc). Now all my packages have online documentation.

One day I'd still like to find out why it didn't build automatically.
But as long as documentation builder doesn't generate a log saying
what problem it thought could not be solved, there is no way of
knowing really.

Thanks again, -- Peter

Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> On 05/01/14 18:15, Peter Selinger wrote:
> > I agree. Two of my packages are in your list: easyrender and newsynth
> > (both have "Nothing" for a reason in your list).
> If a package has Nothing for a reason, that means that no build log is
> available. From what I've read yesterday, it's a problem with their
> report system and I think it happens when cabal can't find
> dependency candidates for your package. I link to a comment on GitHub
> in my opening post which explains this.
> > The problem for me is that, although you seem to have access to build
> > logs, I don't. I have not found the way to access the hackage build
> > logs for my packages or their documentation. Could you let me know
> > where I can find them?
> I do not have any special access to Hackage, I didn't even log in. See
> my opening post for how to access the build log or see my reply to
> Sven for an example. I really think there should be a button on the

Carter Schonwald | 6 Jan 21:25 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

i'm sure patches are welcome to improve hackage infrastructure in these ways! :)

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Peter Selinger <selinger <at> mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
Thank you, this worked like a charm! (Modulo using dist/doc/html
instead of dist/doc). Now all my packages have online documentation.

One day I'd still like to find out why it didn't build automatically.
But as long as documentation builder doesn't generate a log saying
what problem it thought could not be solved, there is no way of
knowing really.

Thanks again, -- Peter

Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> On 05/01/14 18:15, Peter Selinger wrote:
> > I agree. Two of my packages are in your list: easyrender and newsynth
> > (both have "Nothing" for a reason in your list).
> If a package has Nothing for a reason, that means that no build log is
> available. From what I've read yesterday, it's a problem with their
> report system and I think it happens when cabal can't find
> dependency candidates for your package. I link to a comment on GitHub
> in my opening post which explains this.
> > The problem for me is that, although you seem to have access to build
> > logs, I don't. I have not found the way to access the hackage build
> > logs for my packages or their documentation. Could you let me know
> > where I can find them?
> I do not have any special access to Hackage, I didn't even log in. See
> my opening post for how to access the build log or see my reply to
> Sven for an example. I really think there should be a button on the
> site for this. If the build logs existed for newsynth, you could do
> the following: check general build status[1] then check the first
> report[2] then check the build log for the first report[3]. If the
> build status is empty, you won't have any reports.
> Check out [4][5][6] for an example on a package which failed to build
> and has logs.
> Effectively, the Nothing in my ‘report’ indicates no build status.
> > For both packages, the documentation builds just fine on my local
> > machine. It also builds fine in a virtual machine, under Windows and
> > Ubuntu. Since I don't have access to Hackage's build logs, I cannot
> > really figure out why the documentation is not building there. This is
> > what has prevented me from fixing it.
> I suspect Hackage fails to resolve your dependencies, at least that
> what seems to be causing no logs. See [7] for a comment and [8] for an
> existing GitHub issue (although one without any activity).
> > I even created "candidates" for the packages, before uploading the
> > packages to the main index. Again, the documentation did not build,
> > and again, I could not find any logs to tell me what went wrong. So
> > the whole "candidate" mechanism has so far been useless to me.
> > You mentioned that there is a way to upload the documentation
> > manually. I'd love to do that. But how? I don't see any buttons or
> > links on the package maintainer's pages that would allow me to do
> > that.
> I post a link in my opening post to a comment about this. See [9].
> I just tried to do it for one of my packages (yi-monokai-0.1.1.1) and
> here are the steps I took:
> 1. cd ~/programming/yi-monokai
> 2. cabal configure && cabal build && cabal haddock --hyperlink-source
> 3. cd dist/doc
> 4. mv yi-monokai yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs
> 5. tar -c -v -z -Hustar -f yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs.tar.gz
> yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs
> 6. curl -X PUT -H 'Content-Type: application/x-tar' -H
> 'Content-Encoding: gzip' --data-binary
> ' <at> yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs.tar.gz'
> 'http://USERNAME:PASSWORD <at> hackage.haskell.org/package/yi-monokai-0.1.1.1/docs'
> With these steps, my little package now has documentation. There's
> some info on format at [10]. I might write a small blog post outlining
> these steps later as it was not easy to figure out.
> > Any help appreciated, -- Peter

> getting their docs built. As far as I can tell, there can be multiple
> reasonable causes:
> * Dependencies fail to build so your package does
> * Your package fails to build directly
> * Your package requires non-cabal libraries which aren't installed
> * Your package requires different version of install libraries

ghc (for whatever reason, e.g. missing C library dependency), then it cannot be documented either.  This
is a good deal less than useful.  A documentation generator ought to do a reasonable job, even if the code it
is looking at is technically not-compilable.

also was once stand-alone.  I think it might be time to wind the clock backwards and retrieve this desirable property.

Regards,
    Malcolm
Henning Thielemann | 6 Jan 11:51 2014

Am 06.01.2014 11:27, schrieb Malcolm Wallace:

> I think the fundamental problem is that Haddock is now built on top of ghc.  So if a package cannot be built by
is looking at is technically not-compilable.
> At work, we have a stand-alone documentation generator for Haskell, which requires no compiler.  Haddock

I think the clean solution would be a real "GHC as a collection of
libraries" instead of "GHCi as a library". Then haddock could use the
GHC parser without its type checker etc. for documentation purposes. The
haskell-suite might become the project to fill that gap. It might still
be difficult to generate docs in the presence of module re-exports, type
class instances, missing type signatures, template haskell etc.
Mateusz Kowalczyk | 6 Jan 13:02 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

Oops, seems I sent to libraries. Let's keep the thread on cabal-devel
only as here's where the replies happened.

On 06/01/14 10:27, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2014, at 10:15, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
>> It seems that we are having a rather big issue with Hackage in recent
>> months and I'm sure many of you have noticed: a lot of packages aren't
>> getting their docs built. As far as I can tell, there can be multiple
>> reasonable causes:
>> * Dependencies fail to build so your package does
>> * Your package fails to build directly
>> * Your package requires non-cabal libraries which aren't installed
>> * Your package requires different version of install libraries
> I think the fundamental problem is that Haddock is now built on top of
ghc.  So if a package cannot be built by ghc (for whatever reason, e.g.
missing C library dependency), then it cannot be documented either.
This is a good deal less than useful.  A documentation generator ought
to do a reasonable job, even if the code it is looking at is technically
not-compilable.

It is because it uses GHC to type check the modules and generate the
signatures. I agree that there should be some kind of fall back but it
would be a great deal less useful of an output.

> At work, we have a stand-alone documentation generator for Haskell,
which requires no compiler.  Haddock also was once stand-alone.  I think
it might be time to wind the clock backwards and retrieve this desirable
property.

>> getting their docs built. As far as I can tell, there can be multiple
>> reasonable causes:
>> * Dependencies fail to build so your package does
>> * Your package fails to build directly
>> * Your package requires non-cabal libraries which aren't installed
>> * Your package requires different version of install libraries
is looking at is technically not-compilable.

It is because it uses GHC to type check the modules and generate the
signatures. I agree that there should be some kind of fall back but it
would be a great deal less useful of an output.

Was Haddock ever stand alone? AFAIK it used to be part of GHC and then
David Waern separated it into a separate package. I honestly can't think
of how it would ever have been stand-alone (that is not relying on GHC
to do part of the work).

> Regards,
>     Malcolm
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries

Mateusz K.
Henning Thielemann | 6 Jan 13:32 2014

Am 06.01.2014 12:59, schrieb Mateusz Kowalczyk:
> On 06/01/14 10:27, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>> At work, we have a stand-alone documentation generator for Haskell, which requires no compiler.
desirable property.
> Was Haddock ever stand alone? AFAIK it used to be part of GHC and then
> David Waern separated it into a separate package. I honestly can't think
> of how it would ever have been stand-alone (that is not relying on GHC
> to do part of the work).

The versions with leading zero by Simon Marlow used a custom parser.

Malcolm Wallace | 6 Jan 14:46 2014

On 6 Jan 2014, at 12:32, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> Am 06.01.2014 12:59, schrieb Mateusz Kowalczyk:
>> On 06/01/14 10:27, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>>>
>>> Haddock also was once stand-alone.  I think it might be time to wind the clock backwards and retrieve this
desirable property.
>> Was Haddock ever stand alone? AFAIK it used to be part of GHC and then
>> David Waern separated it into a separate package.
> The versions with leading zero by Simon Marlow used a custom parser.

Yes, early versions of Haddock assumed that the developer would always write a type signature for any
top-level value that is exported.  No need to rely on a compiler to infer a type.  Although inference is
hugely useful, I think the discipline of actually writing down what the compiler infers for you is an
absolutely essential software engineering practice.  It is one good step towards future
maintainability of the library.  At my workplace, for instance, our git repo infrastructure is
configured to reject any code that exports a value without an explicit type signature.

Regards,
    Malcolm
Brandon Allbery | 6 Jan 15:33 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace <at> me.com> wrote:
I think the fundamental problem is that Haddock is now built on top of ghc.  So if a package cannot be built by ghc (for whatever reason, e.g. missing C library dependency), then it cannot be documented either.  This is a good deal less than useful.  A documentation generator ought to do a reasonable job, even if the code it is looking at is technically not-compilable.

At work, we have a stand-alone documentation generator for Haskell, which requires no compiler.  Haddock also was once stand-alone.  I think it might be time to wind the clock backwards and retrieve this desirable property.

brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
allbery.b <at> gmail.com                                  ballbery <at> sinenomine.net
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
<div><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_extra">
<div class="gmail_quote">On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Malcolm Wallace <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:malcolm.wallace <at> me.com" target="_blank">malcolm.wallace <at> me.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<blockquote class="gmail_quote">
<div class="im">
<span>I think the fundamental problem is that Haddock is now built on top of ghc. &nbsp;So if a package cannot be built by ghc (for whatever reason, e.g. missing C library dependency), then it cannot be documented either. &nbsp;This is a good deal less than useful. &nbsp;A documentation generator ought to do a reasonable job, even if the code it is looking at is technically not-compilable.</span><br>
</div>
<br>
At work, we have a stand-alone documentation generator for Haskell, which requires no compiler. &nbsp;Haddock also was once stand-alone. &nbsp;I think it might be time to wind the clock backwards and retrieve this desirable property.<br>
</blockquote>
<div><br></div>
<div>The problem with that was you didn't get documentation if you used any GHC extension added within the past year or so. You can't win....</div>
<div><br></div>
</div>-- <br><div dir="ltr">
<div>brandon s allbery kf8nh &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; sine nomine associates</div>
<div>
<a href="mailto:allbery.b <at> gmail.com" target="_blank">allbery.b <at> gmail.com</a> &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;<a href="mailto:ballbery <at> sinenomine.net" target="_blank">ballbery <at> sinenomine.net</a>
</div>
<div>unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;<a href="http://sinenomine.net" target="_blank">http://sinenomine.net</a>
</div>
</div>
</div></div></div>
Johan Tibell | 6 Jan 16:38 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b <at> gmail.com> wrote:

This problem keeps popping up in our various tooling efforts so I thought it'd be worth pointing out that the general problem has been discussed in a paper.

Martin Odersky touched on the more general problem of trying to have two

* complete (e.g. supporting all extensions in our case) and
 * identically behaving

implementations of the same compiler (or part of a compiler in our case) in the Scalable Component Abstractions paper [1]. It is very difficult and requires a huge amount of work. The Scala solution is the cake pattern which lets the Scala compiler expose itself as two different APIs, used for two different purposes (in their case the compiler proper and a reflection API).

Even if relying on the GHC API is a bit of a pain, it's better than relying on a subtly different implementation that supports some subset of the features.

Libraries mailing list

> [5]: http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/misc/sorted.txt
> [6]:
> https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/145#issuecomment-30129142
> [7]:
> https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/145#issuecomment-29472445

Greetings again,

After some feedback from people over yesterday and some digging today,
few things became apparent:
* cross-package linking is broken with manual documentation
* ‘Contents’ link takes you somewhere else now
* I said ‘cd dist/doc’ instead of ‘cd dist/doc/html’

Here is what you can do to fix the package links and contents page:
add the following flags to the ‘cabal haddock’ command:

--html-location='http://hackage.haskell.org/package/$pkg/docs'
--contents-location='http://hackage.haskell.org/package/$pkg'

I'm not sure of implication of this for specific version package links.
Note also that you do need to put in ‘$pkg’, that is a cabal directive.

As usual, I welcome any comments and improvements.

Mateusz K.
Simon Michael | 7 Jan 00:08 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

Mateusz, thanks for the great sleuth work and communication on this.

I'm working on fixing my missing docs (hledger*, broken due to
pretty-show requiring a newer-than-default happy executable).

Peter Selinger | 7 Jan 02:23 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

Thanks, that's even better!

However, I find that the --contents-location option to cabal haddock
does not work properly.  Apparently it not only prevents index.html
from being built (which makes modest sense), but it also prevents
index-frames.html from being built (which does not). So in the frames
view, one of the frames will just say "Sorry, it's just not here".
That's not very nice. Also, if one loads the "/frames.html" URL
directly, it still points to the non-existing index.html, rather than
the one given by --contents-location. I think these are bugs.

For example, see
and click on "Frames".

One workaround is to run "cabal haddock" twice: first without the
--contents-location option, and then with it. Slightly annoying, but
it works. It has the disadvantage that if one goes directly to the
".../frames.html" URL, one will still see the old index.html.

Another workaround is to omit the --contents-location option
altogether, and to manually create an index.html that is just a
forward to the correct location, i.e.:

If your browser does not take you there automatically, please go to

Only this last solution seems to do the correct thing all the time.
For an example, see

Your instructions have been *very* helpful. But it's a lot of details
and finnicky cabal directives to keep track of for doing this all the
time. I've turned your instructions into a Makefile to automate this
task; see attached. In principle, only the first two lines should need
to be customized. Then "make doc-upload" will build the documentation
and upload it correctly.

I know, Cabal somehow was supposed to make Makefiles obsolete. Alas.
Fortunately, the Makefile is only for the package maintainer, and not

> > https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/145#issuecomment-29472445
> Greetings again,
> After some feedback from people over yesterday and some digging today,
> few things became apparent:
> * cross-package linking is broken with manual documentation
> * ‘Contents’ link takes you somewhere else now
> * I said ‘cd dist/doc’ instead of ‘cd dist/doc/html’
> Here is what you can do to fix the package links and contents page:
> add the following flags to the ‘cabal haddock’ command:
> --html-location='http://hackage.haskell.org/package/$pkg/docs'
> --contents-location='http://hackage.haskell.org/package/$pkg'
> I'm not sure of implication of this for specific version package links.
> Note also that you do need to put in ‘$pkg’, that is a cabal directive.
> As usual, I welcome any comments and improvements.
> --
> Mateusz K.
> cabal-devel mailing list
> cabal-devel <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/cabal-devel

Attachment (Makefile): application/octet-stream, 2122 bytes
Thanks, that's even better!

However, I find that the --contents-location option to cabal haddock
does not work properly.  Apparently it not only prevents index.html
from being built (which makes modest sense), but it also prevents
index-frames.html from being built (which does not). So in the frames
view, one of the frames will just say "Sorry, it's just not here".
That's not very nice. Also, if one loads the "/frames.html" URL
directly, it still points to the non-existing index.html, rather than
the one given by --contents-location. I think these are bugs.

For example, see
and click on "Frames".

One workaround is to run "cabal haddock" twice: first without the
--contents-location option, and then with it. Slightly annoying, but
it works. It has the disadvantage that if one goes directly to the
".../frames.html" URL, one will still see the old index.html.

Another workaround is to omit the --contents-location option
altogether, and to manually create an index.html that is just a
forward to the correct location, i.e.:

If your browser does not take you there automatically, please go to

Only this last solution seems to do the correct thing all the time.
For an example, see

Your instructions have been *very* helpful. But it's a lot of details
and finnicky cabal directives to keep track of for doing this all the
time. I've turned your instructions into a Makefile to automate this
task; see attached. In principle, only the first two lines should need
to be customized. Then "make doc-upload" will build the documentation
and upload it correctly.

I know, Cabal somehow was supposed to make Makefiles obsolete. Alas.
Fortunately, the Makefile is only for the package maintainer, and not

> > https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/145#issuecomment-29472445
> Greetings again,
> After some feedback from people over yesterday and some digging today,
> few things became apparent:
> * cross-package linking is broken with manual documentation
> * ‘Contents’ link takes you somewhere else now
> * I said ‘cd dist/doc’ instead of ‘cd dist/doc/html’
> Here is what you can do to fix the package links and contents page:
> add the following flags to the ‘cabal haddock’ command:
> --html-location='http://hackage.haskell.org/package/$pkg/docs'
> --contents-location='http://hackage.haskell.org/package/$pkg'
> I'm not sure of implication of this for specific version package links.
> Note also that you do need to put in ‘$pkg’, that is a cabal directive.
> As usual, I welcome any comments and improvements.
> --
> Mateusz K.
> cabal-devel mailing list
> cabal-devel <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/cabal-devel

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 7 Jan 03:28 2014

On 07/01/14 01:23, Peter Selinger wrote:
> Thanks, that's even better!
> However, I find that the --contents-location option to cabal haddock
> does not work properly.  Apparently it not only prevents index.html
> from being built (which makes modest sense), but it also prevents
> index-frames.html from being built (which does not). So in the frames
> view, one of the frames will just say "Sorry, it's just not here".
> That's not very nice. Also, if one loads the "/frames.html" URL
> directly, it still points to the non-existing index.html, rather than
> the one given by --contents-location. I think these are bugs.
> For example, see
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/yi-monokai-0.1.1.1/docs/Yi-Style-Monokai.html
> and click on "Frames".

Ah, I do not use frames so I did not notice.

> One workaround is to run "cabal haddock" twice: first without the
> --contents-location option, and then with it. Slightly annoying, but
> it works. It has the disadvantage that if one goes directly to the
> ".../frames.html" URL, one will still see the old index.html.
> Another workaround is to omit the --contents-location option
> altogether, and to manually create an index.html that is just a
> forward to the correct location, i.e.:
> <meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://hackage.haskell.org/package/newsynth-0.1.0.0">
> If your browser does not take you there automatically, please go to
> <a href=http://hackage.haskell.org/package/newsynth-0.1.0.0>http://hackage.haskell.org/package/newsynth-0.1.0.0</a>.
> Only this last solution seems to do the correct thing all the time.
> For an example, see
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/newsynth-0.1.0.0/docs/frames.html
> Your instructions have been *very* helpful. But it's a lot of details
> and finnicky cabal directives to keep track of for doing this all the
> time. I've turned your instructions into a Makefile to automate this
> task; see attached. In principle, only the first two lines should need
> to be customized. Then "make doc-upload" will build the documentation
> and upload it correctly.

That looks very useful but I have a few questions about it:
* Why a Makefile as opposed to a Bash script or something? I don't
think there's a way to pass arguments into a Makefile like to Bash
scripts, save for environmental variables. I'd much rather prefer a
command line flag for a script in my PATH rather than having to change
the file each time.

* This file makes us change the top two lines (user and package name)
and uses ‘read’ for everything else. Why not fully go with one way or
the other? Personally, I'd prefer arguments rather than ‘read’ (much
easier to repeat commands/script against) but it's up to personal taste.

* Can we not grab to project name from the cabal file just like you do
with version?

* Your ‘--html-location’ has ‘$$pkg’ in it, how come? Is that some
kind of escape?

* Considering you seem to know what you're doing much more than I am,
is there any way to detect cabal sandboxes?

I'm trying your makefile now (running with make -f /tmp/Makefile
doc-upload) and
it's giving me an error:

```
[snip]
Haddock coverage:
 100% ( 18 / 18) in 'Yi.Style.Monokai'
Documentation created: dist/doc/html/yi-monokai/index.html
rm -r yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs
rm: cannot remove ‘yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs’: No such file or directory
make: *** [yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs.tar.gz] Error 1
```

It works fine if I comment out the ‘rm -r’. Perhaps that should be
allowed to fail somehow.

> I know, Cabal somehow was supposed to make Makefiles obsolete. Alas.
> Fortunately, the Makefile is only for the package maintainer, and not
> for the package user.
> -- Peter

I think that cabal-install should really have the option to do all
this rather than have people write up scripts like this, resulting in
trial and error.

Mateusz K.
cabal-devel mailing list
cabal-devel <at> haskell.org
Carter Schonwald | 7 Jan 03:42 2014

Re: Broken documentation on Hackage.

agreed, cabal-install should definitely get support for doing this correctly added in.  (since this is going to become a common activity for maintainers who's libs need extra things installed that the doc builders lack)

Any volunteers?

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu <at> fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
On 07/01/14 01:23, Peter Selinger wrote:
> Thanks, that's even better!
> However, I find that the --contents-location option to cabal haddock
> does not work properly.  Apparently it not only prevents index.html
> from being built (which makes modest sense), but it also prevents
> index-frames.html from being built (which does not). So in the frames
> view, one of the frames will just say "Sorry, it's just not here".
> That's not very nice. Also, if one loads the "/frames.html" URL
> directly, it still points to the non-existing index.html, rather than
> the one given by --contents-location. I think these are bugs.
> For example, see
> and click on "Frames".

Ah, I do not use frames so I did not notice.

> One workaround is to run "cabal haddock" twice: first without the
> --contents-location option, and then with it. Slightly annoying, but
> it works. It has the disadvantage that if one goes directly to the
> ".../frames.html" URL, one will still see the old index.html.
> Another workaround is to omit the --contents-location option
> altogether, and to manually create an index.html that is just a
> forward to the correct location, i.e.:
> If your browser does not take you there automatically, please go to
> Only this last solution seems to do the correct thing all the time.
> For an example, see
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/newsynth-0.1.0.0/docs/frames.html
> Your instructions have been *very* helpful. But it's a lot of details
> and finnicky cabal directives to keep track of for doing this all the
> time. I've turned your instructions into a Makefile to automate this
> task; see attached. In principle, only the first two lines should need
> to be customized. Then "make doc-upload" will build the documentation
> and upload it correctly.

That looks very useful but I have a few questions about it:
* Why a Makefile as opposed to a Bash script or something? I don't
think there's a way to pass arguments into a Makefile like to Bash
scripts, save for environmental variables. I'd much rather prefer a
command line flag for a script in my PATH rather than having to change
the file each time.

* This file makes us change the top two lines (user and package name)
and uses ‘read’ for everything else. Why not fully go with one way or
the other? Personally, I'd prefer arguments rather than ‘read’ (much
easier to repeat commands/script against) but it's up to personal taste.

* Can we not grab to project name from the cabal file just like you do
with version?

* Your ‘--html-location’ has ‘$$pkg’ in it, how come? Is that some
kind of escape?

* Considering you seem to know what you're doing much more than I am,
is there any way to detect cabal sandboxes?

I'm trying your makefile now (running with make -f /tmp/Makefile
doc-upload) and
it's giving me an error:

```
[snip]
Haddock coverage:
 100% ( 18 / 18) in 'Yi.Style.Monokai'
Documentation created: dist/doc/html/yi-monokai/index.html
rm -r yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs
rm: cannot remove ‘yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs’: No such file or directory
make: *** [yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs.tar.gz] Error 1
```

It works fine if I comment out the ‘rm -r’. Perhaps that should be
allowed to fail somehow.

> I know, Cabal somehow was supposed to make Makefiles obsolete. Alas.
> Fortunately, the Makefile is only for the package maintainer, and not
> for the package user.
> -- Peter

I think that cabal-install should really have the option to do all
this rather than have people write up scripts like this, resulting in
trial and error.

Mateusz K.
cabal-devel mailing list
cabal-devel <at> haskell.org

Libraries mailing list
Libraries <at> haskell.org
Peter Selinger | 7 Jan 05:07 2014

Hi Mateusz,

of course you could do the same thing with a bash script. It's a
matter of personal taste and workflow. Just for the record, you can
pass arguments into a Makefile like this: "make PACKAGE=bla". And "$$"
is indeed an escape, to denote a literal dollar sign (as opposed to a
Makefile variable).

Sorry about the bug. It should be "rm -rf".

I'm not sure about the wisdom of adding new functionality to
cabal-install just to compensate for bugs in the Hackage documentation
builder.  It seems that the packages build correctly everywhere else,
so there is no reason in principle why the Hackage documentation
builder could not be fixed to build them. I see the manual uploading
as more of a temporary workaround.

As for the bug with --contents-location and frames, it doesn't come up
in the Hackage documentation builder because it apparently disables
frames. There must be another (undocumented?) option for turning
frames off.

-- Peter

Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> > Your instructions have been *very* helpful. But it's a lot of details
> > and finnicky cabal directives to keep track of for doing this all the
> > time. I've turned your instructions into a Makefile to automate this
> > task; see attached. In principle, only the first two lines should need
> > to be customized. Then "make doc-upload" will build the documentation
> > and upload it correctly.
> That looks very useful but I have a few questions about it:
> * Why a Makefile as opposed to a Bash script or something? I don't
> think there's a way to pass arguments into a Makefile like to Bash
> scripts, save for environmental variables. I'd much rather prefer a
> command line flag for a script in my PATH rather than having to change
> the file each time.
> * This file makes us change the top two lines (user and package name)
> and uses ‘read’ for everything else. Why not fully go with one way or
> the other? Personally, I'd prefer arguments rather than ‘read’ (much
> easier to repeat commands/script against) but it's up to personal taste.
> * Can we not grab to project name from the cabal file just like you do
> with version?
> * Your ‘--html-location’ has ‘$$pkg’ in it, how come? Is that some
> kind of escape?
> * Considering you seem to know what you're doing much more than I am,
> is there any way to detect cabal sandboxes?
> I'm trying your makefile now (running with make -f /tmp/Makefile
> doc-upload) and
> it's giving me an error:
> ```
> [snip]
> Haddock coverage:
>  100% ( 18 / 18) in 'Yi.Style.Monokai'
> Documentation created: dist/doc/html/yi-monokai/index.html
> rm -r yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs
> rm: cannot remove ‘yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs’: No such file or directory
> make: *** [yi-monokai-0.1.1.1-docs.tar.gz] Error 1
> ```
> It works fine if I comment out the ‘rm -r’. Perhaps that should be
> allowed to fail somehow.
> > I know, Cabal somehow was supposed to make Makefiles obsolete. Alas.
> > Fortunately, the Makefile is only for the package maintainer, and not
> > for the package user.
> > -- Peter
> I think that cabal-install should really have the option to do all
> this rather than have people write up scripts like this, resulting in
> trial and error.