fa-ml | 12 Feb 08:33 2014
Picon

cabal and extra-libs

Hello list,

    recently I am having trouble installing a package (hbro,
more info here [1]).
Today I decided to remove every 0mq installed (even system ones)
and run another installation to see what went wrong.
So I downloaded zmq3, reinstalled it, tried to run

    cabal install hnro

which lead to

    can't load .so/.DLL for: libzmq.so (libzmq.so: cannot open
    shared object file: No such file or directory)

After locating libzmq.so, I typed

    cabal install hbro --extra-lib-dirs=/home/user/media/vcs/zeromq-3.2.4/src/.libs/

This unfortunately was greeted with the same error, which makes me
question wheter I am invoking cabal with the right parameters/wheter
cabal actually looks inside that directory.

Cabal version:

        cabal-install version 0.14.0
        using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library
        # I use debian/wheezy
(Continue reading)

Henning Thielemann | 12 Feb 10:29 2014
Picon

pkg-config for zeromq (Was: cabal and extra-libs)

Am 12.02.2014 08:33, schrieb fa-ml:
> Hello list,
>
>      recently I am having trouble installing a package (hbro,
> more info here [1]).
> Today I decided to remove every 0mq installed (even system ones)
> and run another installation to see what went wrong.
> So I downloaded zmq3, reinstalled it, tried to run
>
>      cabal install hnro

Since zeromq seems to have a pkg-config file

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/zeromq/files/

I'd strongly suggest the package maintainer of zeromq3-haskell to use
the PkgConfig-depends field of Cabal instead of the custom extralibs.
Toralf Wittner | 12 Feb 20:48 2014

Re: pkg-config for zeromq (Was: cabal and extra-libs)

On 12/02/14 10:29, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Am 12.02.2014 08:33, schrieb fa-ml:
>> Hello list,
>>
>>      recently I am having trouble installing a package (hbro,
>> more info here [1]).
>> Today I decided to remove every 0mq installed (even system ones)
>> and run another installation to see what went wrong.
>> So I downloaded zmq3, reinstalled it, tried to run
>>
>>      cabal install hnro
>
> Since zeromq seems to have a pkg-config file
>
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/zeromq/files/
>
> I'd strongly suggest the package maintainer of zeromq3-haskell to use
> the PkgConfig-depends field of Cabal instead of the custom extralibs.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have pushed new versions to hackage which
use pkgconfig-depends.
fa-ml | 13 Feb 05:47 2014
Picon

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:48:50PM +0100, Toralf Wittner wrote:
> On 12/02/14 10:29, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> >I'd strongly suggest the package maintainer of zeromq3-haskell to use
> >the PkgConfig-depends field of Cabal instead of the custom extralibs.
> >

> Thanks for your suggestion. I have pushed new versions to hackage
> which use pkgconfig-depends.

That did the trick, than you both

Gmane