Carter Charbonneau | 24 Feb 04:13 2014

Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

The Burning Bridges thread got lots done, but seemed to miss a few things, and
didn't even touch on the Numeric classes. The Numeric classes should be fixed
at some point, and sooner is better than later. However, it would be a large
change and would go nicely with a major version bump in base. 5 is coming
up soon. Proposals, ordered from relatively controversial to insanely so
(at least IMO):

1. Replace (.) and id from versions from Control.Category in Prelude
   This is a small change, and has close to the same effect as the Foldable/
   Traversable change. The key difference is that this is a much smaller change
   and there is little current use for the versions from Control.Category
   However, historically they have seen use with the other lens-ish libraries,
   and AFAICT are the reason the lenses in `lens` are "backwards", or at least
   called so my some.

1.2 Use Semigroupoid for (.) and Ob for id instead. Personally, I really like
    this idea, but I think it would be much more controversial.

2. Move Semigroup into Prelude

2.1 Make Monoid depend on Semigroup.

3. Do something with the Numeric classes. This isn't so much of a proposal as a
   request for discussion from people more experienced than me, but I still
   think a general idea if people think that doing *anything* is a good idea
   would be useful.

3.1 Split each numeric operation into it's own class. Say no to 3.2 and
yes here
    for no hierarchy in them/ConstraintKinds/empty classes.

Carter Schonwald | 24 Feb 05:13 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

Darn, theres another carter on this list!!! (welcome!)

These are some good points to push on, but *the two weeks* before ghc 7.8 is tentatively due for release!

Also,  3 is  too big to be included in this thread, the ones before are worth several threads alone. I humbly ask all subsequent respondents to focus on #'s 1 and 2.

fixing the numeric components of prelude actually will require some innovation on the way we can even organize / structure type classes if we really wish to map the standard pen+paper algebraic structures to their computational analogues in  a prelude friendly way. I've got many good reasons to care about improving this piece of Base, including the fact that I'm spending (a professionally inadvisable) large amount of time figuring out how to improve the entire numerical computing substrate for Haskell. And i'm leaning towards figuring out the numeric prelude that needs to be *correct and good* and then pushing for a subset thereof for getting into base. This is one of those areas that "commitee"  doesn't matter. the design has to work. It has to be useable. And i don't think theres currently any strong "heres the right design" choice.  Also whatever new design lands in GHC BASE defacto determines the next haskell standard (ishhh).

That said, I think after the split-base work lands, doing surgery on the default numerical classes becomes more tenable

cheers :)

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Carter Charbonneau <zcarterc <at> gmail.com> wrote:
The Burning Bridges thread got lots done, but seemed to miss a few things, and
didn't even touch on the Numeric classes. The Numeric classes should be fixed
at some point, and sooner is better than later. However, it would be a large
change and would go nicely with a major version bump in base. 5 is coming
up soon. Proposals, ordered from relatively controversial to insanely so
(at least IMO):

1. Replace (.) and id from versions from Control.Category in Prelude
  This is a small change, and has close to the same effect as the Foldable/
  Traversable change. The key difference is that this is a much smaller change
  and there is little current use for the versions from Control.Category
  However, historically they have seen use with the other lens-ish libraries,
  and AFAICT are the reason the lenses in `lens` are "backwards", or at least
  called so my some.

1.2 Use Semigroupoid for (.) and Ob for id instead. Personally, I really like
   this idea, but I think it would be much more controversial.

2. Move Semigroup into Prelude

2.1 Make Monoid depend on Semigroup.

3. Do something with the Numeric classes. This isn't so much of a proposal as a
  request for discussion from people more experienced than me, but I still
  think a general idea if people think that doing *anything* is a good idea
  would be useful.

3.1 Split each numeric operation into it's own class. Say no to 3.2 and yes here
   for no hierarchy in them/ConstraintKinds/empty classes.
   Pros: EDSLs, convenience.
   Cons: Would be major breakage, would need ConstraintKinds/empty classes to
         have a hierarchy.

3.2 Hierarchy. the classes are TBD, this is here for a straw poll.

harry | 24 Feb 14:13 2014

Carter Charbonneau wrote
> 2. Move Semigroup into Prelude
> 2.1 Make Monoid depend on Semigroup.

NonEmpty seems to be frequently reimplemented, particularly by beginners.
Including Semigroup in Prelude would save all this duplication.

View this message in context: http://haskell.1045720.n5.nabble.com/Burning-more-bridges-mostly-numeric-ones-tp5744526p5744545.html
Sent from the Haskell - Libraries mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Corey O'Connor | 21 Mar 18:08 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

On #3: The library numeric-prelude achieves many of these goals (Plus a bunch more). If the experiences of using numeric-prelude are positive then using this or a subset of this as the standard numeric prelude might resolve these goals easily.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:13 AM, harry <voldermort <at> hotmail.com> wrote:
Carter Charbonneau wrote
> 2. Move Semigroup into Prelude
> 2.1 Make Monoid depend on Semigroup.

NonEmpty seems to be frequently reimplemented, particularly by beginners.
Including Semigroup in Prelude would save all this duplication.

Sent from the Haskell - Libraries mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Carter Schonwald | 21 Mar 18:22 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

lets not talk about this while people are buried with 7.8 release engineering, please :)

there are certainly good ideas in Henning's (amazing) work,
HOWEVER, one thing people often forget is that theres more than one valid computational formalization of a given mathematical concept (which itself can often have a multitude of equivalent definitions).

and thats even ignoring the fact that the haddocks are full of readable Qualified names like
"class C a => C a where" :)

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Corey O'Connor <coreyoconnor <at> gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:13 AM, harry <voldermort <at> hotmail.com> wrote:
Carter Charbonneau wrote
> 2. Move Semigroup into Prelude
> 2.1 Make Monoid depend on Semigroup.

NonEmpty seems to be frequently reimplemented, particularly by beginners.
Including Semigroup in Prelude would save all this duplication.

Sent from the Haskell - Libraries mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Henning Thielemann | 21 Mar 20:10 2014

Am 21.03.2014 18:22, schrieb Carter Schonwald:
> lets not talk about this while people are buried with 7.8 release
> engineering, please :)
> there are certainly good ideas in Henning's (amazing) work,
> HOWEVER, one thing people often forget is that theres more than one
> valid computational formalization of a given mathematical concept (which
> itself can often have a multitude of equivalent definitions).
> and thats even ignoring the fact that the haddocks are full of readable
> Qualified names like
> "classC
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/numeric-prelude-0.4.1/docs/Algebra-Algebraic.html#t:C> a
> => C a where" :)

I tried three times to make Haddock show qualifications, but it is
really frustrating. Last time I tried I despaired of GHC data
structures. Somewhere the qualification must have been recognized by GHC
but it is thrown away early and hard to restore.
Tobias Brandt | 22 Mar 08:22 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

On 21 March 2014 20:10, Henning Thielemann <schlepptop <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

I tried three times to make Haddock show qualifications, but it is really frustrating. Last time I tried I despaired of GHC data structures. Somewhere the qualification must have been recognized by GHC but it is thrown away early and hard to restore.

I actually implemented qualified names in haddock a long time ago (http://projects.haskell.org/pipermail/haddock/2010-August/000649.html) exactly because of numeric-prelude.

However, I don't think that patch would still work, but it might give you some hints how to do it.

Henning Thielemann | 22 Mar 08:28 2014

Am 22.03.2014 08:22, schrieb Tobias Brandt:
> On 21 March 2014 20:10, Henning Thielemann
> <schlepptop <at> henning-thielemann.de
> <mailto:schlepptop <at> henning-thielemann.de>> wrote:
>     I tried three times to make Haddock show qualifications, but it is
>     really frustrating. Last time I tried I despaired of GHC data
>     structures. Somewhere the qualification must have been recognized by
>     GHC but it is thrown away early and hard to restore.
> I actually implemented qualified names in haddock a long time ago
> (http://projects.haskell.org/pipermail/haddock/2010-August/000649.html)
> exactly because of numeric-prelude.
> Here is a screenshot:
> http://projects.haskell.org/pipermail/haddock/attachments/20100828/e91f52de/attachment-0001.png
> However, I don't think that patch would still work, but it might give
> you some hints how to do it.

I know, but as far as I remember it was not completely satisfying. I
prefered abbreviated qualifications, e.g. Field.C instead of
Algebra.Field.C and there were differences between imports from modules
of the same package and imports from external modules.

Tobias Brandt | 22 Mar 08:43 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

On 22 March 2014 08:28, Henning Thielemann <schlepptop <at> henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
I know, but as far as I remember it was not completely satisfying. I prefered abbreviated qualifications, e.g. Field.C instead of Algebra.Field.C and there were differences between imports from modules of the same package and imports from external modules.

There are four modes of qualification in my patch:
  * None: as now
  * Full: everything is fully qualified
  * Local: only imported names are fully qualified, like in the screenshot
  * Relative: like local, but prefixes in the same hierarchy are stripped. Algebra.Field.C would become Field.C when shown in the documentation for Algebra.VectorSpace.

The last one probably comes closest to what you want. Preserving the original qualification (as written in the source code) would probably be perfect, but that's already thrown away when we get to it in haddock.

wren romano | 22 Mar 22:09 2014

> On #3: The library numeric-prelude achieves many of these goals (Plus a
> bunch more). If the experiences of using numeric-prelude are positive then
> using this or a subset of this as the standard numeric prelude might resolve
> these goals easily.
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/numeric-prelude

One of my major complaints against numeric-prelude is the same as my
major complaint against every other such project I've seen put
forward: they completely ignore semirings and related structures.

Semirings are utterly ubiquitous and this insistence that every notion
of addition comes equipped with subtraction is ridiculous. In my work
I deal with semirings and semimodules on a daily basis, whereas
rings/modules show up far less often, let alone fields/vectorspaces.
When not dealing with semirings, the other structures I work with are
similarly general (e.g., semigroups, quasigroups,...). But this entire
area of algebra is completely overlooked by those libraries which
start at abelian groups and then run headlong for normed Euclidean
vector spaces.

My main complaint against the Num class is that it already assumes too
much structure. So developing the hierarchy even further up than Num
does little to help me.

Live well,
~wren
Carter Schonwald | 22 Mar 22:28 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

agreed, hence my earlier remarks

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM, wren romano <winterkoninkje <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On #3: The library numeric-prelude achieves many of these goals (Plus a
> bunch more). If the experiences of using numeric-prelude are positive then
> using this or a subset of this as the standard numeric prelude might resolve
> these goals easily.
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/numeric-prelude

One of my major complaints against numeric-prelude is the same as my
major complaint against every other such project I've seen put
forward: they completely ignore semirings and related structures.

Semirings are utterly ubiquitous and this insistence that every notion
of addition comes equipped with subtraction is ridiculous. In my work
I deal with semirings and semimodules on a daily basis, whereas
rings/modules show up far less often, let alone fields/vectorspaces.
When not dealing with semirings, the other structures I work with are
similarly general (e.g., semigroups, quasigroups,...). But this entire
area of algebra is completely overlooked by those libraries which
start at abelian groups and then run headlong for normed Euclidean
vector spaces.

My main complaint against the Num class is that it already assumes too
much structure. So developing the hierarchy even further up than Num
does little to help me.

Live well,
~wren

Bart Massey | 23 Mar 01:58 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

My complaint with numeric-prelude is that it doesn't (and arguably
can't) fix the problems that for me make Haskell borderline usable for
actual engineering work involving actual "normal" numbers, and
genuinely somewhat unusable for teaching: Off the top of my head:

* The lack of implicit conversions (except for the weird defaulting of
literals, which means that I am constantly writing `fromIntegral` and
`toRealFrac` in places where there is only one reasonable choice of
type conversion, and occasionally having things just malfunction
because I didn't quite understand what these conversion functions
would give me as a result.

Prelude> 3 + 3.5
    6.5
    Prelude> let x = 3
    Prelude> x + 3.5

<interactive>:4:5:
        No instance for (Fractional Integer) arising from the literal `3.5'
        Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Fractional Integer)
        In the second argument of `(+)', namely `3.5'
        In the expression: x + 3.5
        In an equation for `it': it = x + 3.5
    Prelude>

I mean, seriously? We expect newbies to just roll with this kind of thing?

Even worse, the same sort of thing happens when trying to add a
`Data.Word.Word` to an `Integer`. This is a totally safe conversion if
you just let the result be `Integer`.

* The inability of Haskell to handle unary negation sanely, which
means that I and newbies alike are constantly having to figure things
out and parenthesize. From my observations of students, this is a huge
barrier to Haskell adoption: people who can't write 3 + -5 just give
up on a language. (I love the current error message here, "cannot mix
`+' [infixl 6] and prefix `-' [infixl 6] in the same infix
expression", which is about as self-diagnosing of a language failing
as any error message I've ever seen.)

* The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
above.)

* The incredible awkwardness of hex/octal/binary input handling, which
requires digging a function with an odd and awkward return convention
(`readHex`) out of an oddly-chosen module (or rolling my own) in order
to read a hex value. (Output would be just as bad except for
`Text.Printf` as a safety hatch.) Lord knows what you're supposed to
do if your number might have a C-style base specifier on the front,
other than the obvious ugly brute-force thing?

* Defaulting numeric types with "-Wall" on producing scary warnings.

Prelude> 3 + 3

<interactive>:2:3: Warning:
        Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
          (Num a0) arising from a use of `+'
        In the expression: 3 + 3
        In an equation for `it': it = 3 + 3

<interactive>:2:3: Warning:
        Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
          (Num a0) arising from a use of `+' at <interactive>:2:3
          (Show a0) arising from a use of `print' at <interactive>:2:1-5
        In the expression: 3 + 3
        In an equation for `it': it = 3 + 3

and similarly for 3.0 + 3.0. If you can't even write simple addition
without turning off or ignoring warnings, well, I dunno. Something.
Oh, and try to get rid of those warnings. The only ways I know are `3
+ 3 :: Integer` or `(3 :: Integer) + 3`, both of which make code read
like a bad joke.

Of course, if you write everything to take specific integral or
floating types rather than `Integral` or `RealFloat` or `Num` this
problem mostly goes away. So everyone does, turning potentially
general code into needlessly over-specific code.

Not sure I'm done, but running out of steam. But yeah, while I'm fine
with fancy algebraic stuff getting fixed, I'd also like to see simple
grade-school-style arithmetic work sanely. That would let me teach
Haskell more easily as well as letting me write better, clearer, more
correct Haskell for that majority of my real-world problems that
involve grade-school numbers.

--Bart
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 23 Mar 07:10 2014

On 23 March 2014 11:58, Bart Massey <bart <at> cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
> My complaint with numeric-prelude is that it doesn't (and arguably
> can't) fix the problems that for me make Haskell borderline usable for
> actual engineering work involving actual "normal" numbers, and
> genuinely somewhat unusable for teaching: Off the top of my head:
> * The lack of implicit conversions (except for the weird defaulting of
> literals, which means that I am constantly writing `fromIntegral` and
> `toRealFrac` in places where there is only one reasonable choice of
> type conversion, and occasionally having things just malfunction
> because I didn't quite understand what these conversion functions
> would give me as a result.
>     Prelude> 3 + 3.5
>     6.5
>     Prelude> let x = 3
>     Prelude> x + 3.5
>     <interactive>:4:5:
>         No instance for (Fractional Integer) arising from the literal `3.5'
>         Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Fractional Integer)
>         In the second argument of `(+)', namely `3.5'
>         In the expression: x + 3.5
>         In an equation for `it': it = x + 3.5
>     Prelude>
> I mean, seriously? We expect newbies to just roll with this kind of thing?

Isn't this more of a ghci issue than a Haskell issue?

I actually think it's good behaviour that - in actual code, not
defaulted numerals in ghci - we need to explicitly convert between
types rather than have a so-far-Integer-value automagically convert to
Double.

> Even worse, the same sort of thing happens when trying to add a
> `Data.Word.Word` to an `Integer`. This is a totally safe conversion if
> you just let the result be `Integer`.

What would be the type of such an operation be? I think we'd need some
kind of new typeclass to denote the "base value", which would make the
actual type signature be much more hairy.

> * The inability of Haskell to handle unary negation sanely, which
> means that I and newbies alike are constantly having to figure things
> out and parenthesize. From my observations of students, this is a huge
> barrier to Haskell adoption: people who can't write 3 + -5 just give
> up on a language. (I love the current error message here, "cannot mix
> `+' [infixl 6] and prefix `-' [infixl 6] in the same infix
> expression", which is about as self-diagnosing of a language failing
> as any error message I've ever seen.)

This is arguably the fault of mathematics for overloading the - operator :p

> * The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
> exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
> bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
> these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
> with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
> above.)
> * The incredible awkwardness of hex/octal/binary input handling, which
> requires digging a function with an odd and awkward return convention
> (`readHex`) out of an oddly-chosen module (or rolling my own) in order
> to read a hex value. (Output would be just as bad except for
> `Text.Printf` as a safety hatch.) Lord knows what you're supposed to
> do if your number might have a C-style base specifier on the front,
> other than the obvious ugly brute-force thing?
> * Defaulting numeric types with "-Wall" on producing scary warnings.
>     Prelude> 3 + 3
>     <interactive>:2:3: Warning:
>         Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
>           (Num a0) arising from a use of `+'
>         In the expression: 3 + 3
>         In an equation for `it': it = 3 + 3
>     <interactive>:2:3: Warning:
>         Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
>           (Num a0) arising from a use of `+' at <interactive>:2:3
>           (Show a0) arising from a use of `print' at <interactive>:2:1-5
>         In the expression: 3 + 3
>         In an equation for `it': it = 3 + 3
>     6
> and similarly for 3.0 + 3.0. If you can't even write simple addition
> without turning off or ignoring warnings, well, I dunno. Something.
> Oh, and try to get rid of those warnings. The only ways I know are `3
> + 3 :: Integer` or `(3 :: Integer) + 3`, both of which make code read
> like a bad joke.

So above you didn't like how ghci defaulted to types too early, now
you're complaining that it's _not_ defaulting?  Or just that it gives
you a warning that it's doing the defaulting?

> Of course, if you write everything to take specific integral or
> floating types rather than `Integral` or `RealFloat` or `Num` this
> problem mostly goes away. So everyone does, turning potentially
> general code into needlessly over-specific code.
> Not sure I'm done, but running out of steam. But yeah, while I'm fine
> with fancy algebraic stuff getting fixed, I'd also like to see simple
> grade-school-style arithmetic work sanely. That would let me teach
> Haskell more easily as well as letting me write better, clearer, more
> correct Haskell for that majority of my real-world problems that
> involve grade-school numbers.
> --Bart
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/libraries

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
Edward Kmett | 23 Mar 08:11 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Bart Massey <bart <at> cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
* The lack of implicit conversions (except for the weird defaulting of
literals, which means that I am constantly writing `fromIntegral` and
`toRealFrac` in places where there is only one reasonable choice of
type conversion, and occasionally having things just malfunction
because I didn't quite understand what these conversion functions
would give me as a result.

Prelude> 3 + 3.5
    6.5
    Prelude> let x = 3
    Prelude> x + 3.5

<interactive>:4:5:
        No instance for (Fractional Integer) arising from the literal `3.5'
        Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Fractional Integer)
        In the second argument of `(+)', namely `3.5'
        In the expression: x + 3.5
        In an equation for `it': it = x + 3.5
    Prelude>

I mean, seriously? We expect newbies to just roll with this kind of thing?

Actually, we don't expect them to roll with it any more.

>>> let x = 3
>>> x + 3.5
6.5

ghci turns no NoMonomorphismRestriction on newer GHCs.

To me that issue is largely independent of changes to the numeric hierarchy, though I confess I'd largely tuned out this thread and am just now skimming backwards a bit.

That said, implicit conversions are something where personally I feel Haskell does take the right approach. It is the only language I have access to where I can reason about the semantics of (+) sanely and extend the set of types.

Even worse, the same sort of thing happens when trying to add a
`Data.Word.Word` to an `Integer`. This is a totally safe conversion if
you just let the result be `Integer`.

The problem arises when you allow for users to extend the set of numeric types like Haskell does. We have a richer menagerie of exotic numerical types than any other language, explicitly because of our adherence to a stricter discipline and moving the coercion down to the literal rather than up to every function application.

Because of that type inference works better. It can flow both forward and backwards through (+), whereas the approach you advocate is strictly less powerful. You have to give up overloading of numeric literals, and in essence this gives up on the flexibility of the numerical tower to handle open sets of new numerical types.

As someone who works with compensated arithmetic, automatic differentiaton, arbitrary precision floating point, interval arithmetic, Taylor models, and all sorts of other numerical types in Haskell, basically you're almost asking me to give up all the things that work in this language to go back to a scheme style fixed numerical tower.

* The inability of Haskell to handle unary negation sanely, which
means that I and newbies alike are constantly having to figure things
out and parenthesize. From my observations of students, this is a huge
barrier to Haskell adoption: people who can't write 3 + -5 just give
up on a language. (I love the current error message here, "cannot mix
`+' [infixl 6] and prefix `-' [infixl 6] in the same infix
expression", which is about as self-diagnosing of a language failing
as any error message I've ever seen.)

That is probably fixable by getting creative in the language grammar. I note it particularly because our Haskell like language Ermine here at work gets it right. ;)

* The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
above.)

It is unfortunate, but there really is a distinction being made.

* The incredible awkwardness of hex/octal/binary input handling, which
requires digging a function with an odd and awkward return convention
(`readHex`) out of an oddly-chosen module (or rolling my own) in order
to read a hex value. (Output would be just as bad except for
`Text.Printf` as a safety hatch.) Lord knows what you're supposed to
do if your number might have a C-style base specifier on the front,
other than the obvious ugly brute-force thing?

A lot of people these days turn to lens for that:

>>> :m + Numeric.Lens Control.Lens
>>> "7b" ^? hex
Just 123
>>> hex # 123
"7b"

* Defaulting numeric types with "-Wall" on producing scary warnings.

Prelude> 3 + 3

<interactive>:2:3: Warning:
        Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
          (Num a0) arising from a use of `+'
        In the expression: 3 + 3
        In an equation for `it': it = 3 + 3

<interactive>:2:3: Warning:
        Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
          (Num a0) arising from a use of `+' at <interactive>:2:3
          (Show a0) arising from a use of `print' at <interactive>:2:1-5
        In the expression: 3 + 3
        In an equation for `it': it = 3 + 3

and similarly for 3.0 + 3.0. If you can't even write simple addition
without turning off or ignoring warnings, well, I dunno. Something.
Oh, and try to get rid of those warnings. The only ways I know are `3
+ 3 :: Integer` or `(3 :: Integer) + 3`, both of which make code read
like a bad joke.

This is no longer a problem at ghci due to NMR:

>>> 3 + 3

You can of course use

>>> :set -Wall -fno-warn-type-defaults

instead of -Wall for cases like

>>> 3 == 3

where the type doesn't get picked.

-Edward
Bart Massey | 23 Mar 09:50 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Bart Massey <bart <at> cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
>>>> let x = 3
>>>> x + 3.5
> 6.5
> ghci turns no NoMonomorphismRestriction on newer GHCs.

Nice. AFAICT newer means 7.8, which I haven't tried yet. Major improvement.

>> Even worse, the same sort of thing happens when trying to add a
>> `Data.Word.Word` to an `Integer`. This is a totally safe conversion if
>> you just let the result be `Integer`.
> Because of that type inference works better. It can flow both forward and
> backwards through (+), whereas the approach you advocate is strictly less
> powerful. You have to give up overloading of numeric literals, and in
> essence this gives up on the flexibility of the numerical tower to handle
> open sets of new numerical types.

You obviously know far more about this than me, but I'm not seeing it? AFAICT
all I am asking for is numeric subtyping using the normal typeclass mechanism,
but with some kind of preference rules that get the subtyping right in
"normal" cases?
I can certainly agree that I don't want to go toward C's morass of
"widening to unsigned" (???) or
explicitly-typed numeric literals. I just want a set of type rules
that agrees with grade-school
mathematics most of the time. I'm sure I'm missing something, and it
really is that hard, but
if so it makes me sad.

>> * The inability of Haskell to handle unary negation sanely, which
>> means that I and newbies alike are constantly having to figure things
>> out and parenthesize. From my observations of students, this is a huge
>> barrier to Haskell adoption: people who can't write 3 + -5 just give
>> up on a language. (I love the current error message here, "cannot mix
>> `+' [infixl 6] and prefix `-' [infixl 6] in the same infix
>> expression", which is about as self-diagnosing of a language failing
>> as any error message I've ever seen.)
> That is probably fixable by getting creative in the language grammar. I note
> it particularly because our Haskell like language Ermine here at work gets
> it right. ;)

Almost every PL I've seen with infix arithmetic gets it right. It's
trivial for any
operator-precedence parser, and not too hard for other common kinds. In general
it would be nice if Haskell allowed arbitrary prefix and postfix unary
operators, but I'd settle
for a special case for unary minus.

>> * The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
>> exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
>> bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
>> these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
>> with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
>> above.)
> It is unfortunate, but there really is a distinction being made.

I get that. I even get that static-typing exponentiation is hard. (You
should see how
we did it in Nickle (http://nickle.org) --not because it's good but because
it calls out a lot of the problems.) What I don't get is why the names seem
so terrible to me, nor why the typechecker can't do more to help reduce the
number of needed operators, ideally to one. It might mean extra conversion
operators around exponentiation once in a while, I guess?

>> * The incredible awkwardness of hex/octal/binary input handling, which
>> requires digging a function with an odd and awkward return convention
>> (`readHex`) out of an oddly-chosen module (or rolling my own) in order
>> to read a hex value. (Output would be just as bad except for
>> `Text.Printf` as a safety hatch.) Lord knows what you're supposed to
>> do if your number might have a C-style base specifier on the front,
>> other than the obvious ugly brute-force thing?
> A lot of people these days turn to lens for that:
>>>> :m + Numeric.Lens Control.Lens
>>>> "7b" ^? hex
> Just 123
>>>> hex # 123
> "7b"

Nice. Once this really becomes standard, I guess we'll be somewhere.

>> * Defaulting numeric types with "-Wall" on producing scary warnings.

> This is no longer a problem at ghci due to NMR:
>>>> 3 + 3
> 6

Nice.

I'm not sure what to make of something like this (with ghci -Wall
-XNoMonomorphismRestriction)

>> let discard :: Integral a => a -> (); discard _ = ()
>> discard 3

<interactive>:5:1: Warning:
    Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
      (Integral a0)
        arising from a use of `discard' at <interactive>:5:1-7
      (Num a0) arising from the literal `3' at <interactive>:5:9
    In the expression: discard 3
    In an equation for `it': it = discard 3

<interactive>:5:1: Warning:
    Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
      (Integral a0)
        arising from a use of `discard' at <interactive>:5:1-7
      (Num a0) arising from the literal `3' at <interactive>:5:9
    In the expression: discard 3
    In an equation for `it': it = discard 3

I get the feeling I just shouldn't worry about it: there's not much to
be done, as this is just a limitation
of the static type system and not really Haskell's fault. (Although I wonder why
the conversion is warned twice? :-)

> You can of course use
>>>> :set -Wall -fno-warn-type-defaults
> instead of -Wall for cases like
>>>> 3 == 3
> where the type doesn't get picked.

Of course. I have no idea what warnings
I might be turning off that would actually be useful?

Anyway, thanks much for the response!

--Bart
Edward Kmett | 23 Mar 11:13 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Bart Massey <bart <at> cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
>> Even worse, the same sort of thing happens when trying to add a
>> `Data.Word.Word` to an `Integer`. This is a totally safe conversion if
>> you just let the result be `Integer`.
> Because of that type inference works better. It can flow both forward and
> backwards through (+), whereas the approach you advocate is strictly less
> powerful. You have to give up overloading of numeric literals, and in
> essence this gives up on the flexibility of the numerical tower to handle
> open sets of new numerical types.

You obviously know far more about this than me, but I'm not seeing it? AFAICT
all I am asking for is numeric subtyping using the normal typeclass mechanism,
but with some kind of preference rules that get the subtyping right in
"normal" cases?
I can certainly agree that I don't want to go toward C's morass of
"widening to unsigned" (???) or
explicitly-typed numeric literals. I just want a set of type rules
that agrees with grade-school
mathematics most of the time. I'm sure I'm missing something, and it
really is that hard, but
if so it makes me sad.

Let's consider what directions type information flows though (+)

class Foo a where
  (+) :: a -> a -> a

Given that kind of class you get

(+) :: Foo a => a -> a -> a

Now given the result type of an expression you can know the types of both of its argument types.

If either argument is determined you can know the type of the other argument and the result as well.

Given any one of the arguments or the result type you can know the type of the other two.

Consider now the kind of constraint you'd need for widening.

class Foo a b c | a b -> c where
  (+) :: a -> b -> c

Now, given both a and b you can know the type of c.

But given just the type of c, you know nothing about the type of either of its arguments.

a + b :: Int

used to tell you that a and b both had to be Int, but now you'd get nothing!

Worse, given the type of one argument, you don't get to know the type of the other argument or the result.

We went from getting 2 other types from 1 in all directions to getting 1 type from 2 others, in only 1 of 3 cases.

The very cases you complained about, where you needed defaulting now happen virtually everywhere!

>> * The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
>> exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
>> bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
>> these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
>> with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
>> above.)
> It is unfortunate, but there really is a distinction being made.

I get that. I even get that static-typing exponentiation is hard. (You
should see how
we did it in Nickle (http://nickle.org) --not because it's good but because
it calls out a lot of the problems.) What I don't get is why the names seem
so terrible to me, nor why the typechecker can't do more to help reduce the
number of needed operators, ideally to one. It might mean extra conversion
operators around exponentiation once in a while, I guess?

I do think there were at least two genuinely bad ideas in the design of (^) (^^) and (**) originally.

Notably the choice in (^) an (^^) to overload on the power's Integral type.

More often than not this simply leads to an ambiguous choice for simple cases like x^2.

Even if that had that been monomorphized and MPTCs existed when they were defined AND we wanted to use fundeps in the numerical tower, you'd still need at least two operators.

You can't overload cleanly between (^) and (**) because instance selection would overlap. Both of their right sides unify:

(^) :: ... => a -> Int -> a
(**) :: ... => a -> a -> a

> You can of course use
>>>> :set -Wall -fno-warn-type-defaults
Of course. I have no idea what warnings
I might be turning off that would actually be useful?

The warnings that turns off are just the ones like your discard and the 3 == 3 where it had to turn to defaulting for an under-determined type.

-Edward
Tom Ellis | 23 Mar 19:16 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 01:50:43AM -0700, Bart Massey wrote:
> >>>> :m + Numeric.Lens Control.Lens
> >>>> "7b" ^? hex
> > Just 123
> >>>> hex # 123
> > "7b"
> Nice. Once this really becomes standard, I guess we'll be somewhere.

Unless there's some way I'm unaware of to statically verify that the string
indeed represents a valid hex encoding, then this is still not a complete
solution.

Tom
Henning Thielemann | 23 Mar 19:30 2014

Am 23.03.2014 19:16, schrieb Tom Ellis:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 01:50:43AM -0700, Bart Massey wrote:
>>>>>> :m + Numeric.Lens Control.Lens
>>>>>> "7b" ^? hex
>>> Just 123
>>>>>> hex # 123
>>> "7b"
>> Nice. Once this really becomes standard, I guess we'll be somewhere.
> Unless there's some way I'm unaware of to statically verify that the string
> indeed represents a valid hex encoding, then this is still not a complete
> solution.

Since the original complaint was about parsing, there must be a way to
fail. The first line ("7b" ^? hex) seems to allow failure.

For literal hex input we have 0x7b.

However I don't see a problem with readHex.

Prelude> case Numeric.readHex "7b" of [(n,"")] -> print n; _ -> putStrLn
"could not parse hex number"

123
Tom Ellis | 23 Mar 19:46 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 07:30:07PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Am 23.03.2014 19:16, schrieb Tom Ellis:
> >Unless there's some way I'm unaware of to statically verify that the string
> >indeed represents a valid hex encoding, then this is still not a complete
> >solution.
> Since the original complaint was about parsing, there must be a way
> to fail. The first line ("7b" ^? hex) seems to allow failure.
> For literal hex input we have 0x7b.

Oh, I wasn't reading carefully enough!
Henning Thielemann | 23 Mar 19:25 2014

Am 23.03.2014 09:50, schrieb Bart Massey:

>>> * The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
>>> exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
>>> bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
>>> these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
>>> with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
>>> above.)
>> It is unfortunate, but there really is a distinction being made.
> I get that. I even get that static-typing exponentiation is hard. (You
> should see how
> we did it in Nickle (http://nickle.org) --not because it's good but because
> it calls out a lot of the problems.) What I don't get is why the names seem
> so terrible to me, nor why the typechecker can't do more to help reduce the
> number of needed operators, ideally to one. It might mean extra conversion
> operators around exponentiation once in a while, I guess?

I think the power functions of Haskell are the best we can do, and
mathematics is to blame for having only one notation for different power
functions.

I like to compare it to division. In school we first learnt natural
numbers and that division cannot always be performed with natural
numbers. Instead we have division with remainder. In contrast to that we
can always divide rational numbers (except division by zero). In Haskell
this is nicely captured by two different functions div and (/). The same
way I find it sensible to distinguish power functions.

I found the infix operator names (^^) and (**) not very intuitive and
defined (^-) and (^/) in NumericPrelude, in order to show, that the
first one allows negative exponents and the second one allows fractional
exponents. Unfortunately the first one looks like power function with
negated exponent and I had no better idea for an identifier so far.
Andreas Abel | 24 Mar 10:58 2014

On 23.03.2014 19:25, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> I found the infix operator names (^^) and (**) not very intuitive and
> defined (^-) and (^/) in NumericPrelude, in order to show, that the
> first one allows negative exponents and the second one allows fractional
> exponents. Unfortunately the first one looks like power function with
> negated exponent and I had no better idea for an identifier so far.

Ah, so x ^- 2 (or is it x ^- 2.0) is not the square root of x?  Maybe
you should change this identifier indeed!

Maybe use ^+- instead.  This looks a bit confusing, but ^- is outright
misleading.

Andreas

Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Chalmers and Gothenburg University, Sweden

andreas.abel <at> gu.se
Henning Thielemann | 24 Mar 11:06 2014

Am 24.03.2014 10:58, schrieb Andreas Abel:
> On 23.03.2014 19:25, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> I found the infix operator names (^^) and (**) not very intuitive and
>> defined (^-) and (^/) in NumericPrelude, in order to show, that the
>> first one allows negative exponents and the second one allows fractional
>> exponents. Unfortunately the first one looks like power function with
>> negated exponent and I had no better idea for an identifier so far.
> Ah, so x ^- 2 (or is it x ^- 2.0) is not the square root of x?  Maybe
> you should change this identifier indeed!

If at all, it could be misinterpreted as 1/x^2.
Square root would be x^/0.5.

> Maybe use ^+- instead.

Nice idea! Analogously I could define (^*/).
wren romano | 25 Mar 23:54 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> That said, implicit conversions are something where personally I feel
> Haskell does take the right approach. It is the only language I have access
> to where I can reason about the semantics of (+) sanely and extend the set
> of types.

Ditto.

It can sometimes be unfortunate that we don't get the subset
inclusions for free, but in my experience the few extra annotations
required are a small price to pay for all the bugs caught by not doing
so-- when doing numerical work! Not to mention that Int does not really
have a subset inclusion into Double, and so this implicit coercion
should be forbidden even if we did allow implicitly coercing Int to
Integer, etc.

>> * The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
>> exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
>> bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
>> these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
>> with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
>> above.)
> It is unfortunate, but there really is a distinction being made.

I'd go even farther and say that this is another case where Haskell is
doing the right thing. There's a fundamental distinction going on
here. The only complaints I have here are:

1) Because the type of the second argument to (^) and (^^) is
polymorphic, numeric literals introduce warnings about defaulting.
This is the one place where needing to make coercions explicit really
does get on my nerves.

2) (^) does not restrict the second argument to non-negative values
and thus can throw runtime errors, when it really should be a type
error.

3) (**) should probably be split to distinguish exponentials and
rational/real-valued powers.

To see a clear example of how (^) and (^^) are fundamentally different
operators, consider their instantiation for square matrices. We can
use (^) whenever the scalars of the matrix form a semiring; whereas
using (^^) requires that we be able to invert the matrix, which means
the scalars must form a field[1].

[1] I'm not sure off hand if we can weaken the requirements to just be
a division ring or (strongly) von Neuman regular ring; but certainly
my implementation assumes it's a field.

Live well,
~wren
Casey McCann | 26 Mar 16:10 2014

Re: Burning more bridges (mostly numeric ones)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM, wren romano <winterkoninkje <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>> * The multiplicity of exponentiation functions, one of which looks
>>> exactly like C's XOR operator, which I've watched trip up newbies a
>>> bunch of times. (Indeed, NumericPrelude seems to have added more of
>>> these, including the IMHO poorly-named (^-) which has nothing to do
>>> with numeric negation as far as I can tell. See "unary negation"
>>> above.)
>> It is unfortunate, but there really is a distinction being made.
> I'd go even farther and say that this is another case where Haskell is
> doing the right thing. There's a fundamental distinction going on
> here. The only complaints I have here are:
> 1) Because the type of the second argument to (^) and (^^) is
> polymorphic, numeric literals introduce warnings about defaulting.
> This is the one place where needing to make coercions explicit really
> does get on my nerves.

This situation really should not be a warning. It's an Integral
constraint on a type in contravariant position, which by itself can
only be ambiguous if it's given something built from numeric literals
and basic arithmetic. Having an Integral instance means a type
supports conversions to and from Integer, and I would be very dubious
about a type where (fromInteger . toInteger) was not equivalent to id.
I really can't see how defaulting an Integral constraint alone to
Integer is anything other than safe and sensible.

Unfortunately the same type may have other class constraints for which
defaulting to Integer would be ridiculous, and if memory serves me the
way defaults work doesn't distinguish between the clearly
sensible-to-default "6 ^ 12" and the equally not sensible "3 ^ read
userInput". In fact, I'd prefer that any type with a Read constraint
not default at all, ever. That's just asking for trouble.

On the other hand, a warning probably makes sense when defaulting a
type with e.g. a Show constraint, or Num (without Integral as well).

I'm not sure what exact rules would make the most sense here, but I
don't think the current defaulting mechanism would support anything
more sophisticated anyhow, so it's not a library issue.

> 2) (^) does not restrict the second argument to non-negative values
> and thus can throw runtime errors, when it really should be a type
> error.

...which would require a Natural type similar to Integer, and probably
the corresponding type classes as well, which among other things
entails adding a superclass to Num containing fromNatural (and,
ideally, containing (+) and (*) as well).

That's a pretty big bridge to burn, albeit a very temptingly flammable one.

- C.
Henning Thielemann | 26 Mar 21:19 2014

Am 26.03.2014 16:10, schrieb Casey McCann:

> This situation really should not be a warning. It's an Integral
> constraint on a type in contravariant position, which by itself can
> only be ambiguous if it's given something built from numeric literals
> and basic arithmetic. Having an Integral instance means a type
> supports conversions to and from Integer, and I would be very dubious
> about a type where (fromInteger . toInteger) was not equivalent to id.
> I really can't see how defaulting an Integral constraint alone to
> Integer is anything other than safe and sensible.

In NumericPrelude I decided to fix the exponent type to Integer.

1. This solves the defaulting problem.
2. Most of the time in my code the exponent is constant and is 2.
3. It broke a dependency cycle between the numeric classes.