davin | 26 Aug 18:31 2010
Picon

yet more node.js + openssl issues

when including a module that has a crypto dependancy i realised that
my nodejs wasnt compiled with openssl support. which is funny
considering that i have openssl (0.9.8g). i read some threads about
the ./configure reporting false negatives, although my symptoms seem
different, what with the error report on the bottom.

i would be glad for some enlightenment... thanks guys!

oh, and im running ubuntu 9.04

davin <at> ubuntu:/etc/nodejs/ry-node-51224f1$ sudo ./configure
Checking for program g++ or c++          : /usr/bin/g++
Checking for program cpp                 : /usr/bin/cpp
Checking for program ar                  : /usr/bin/ar
Checking for program ranlib              : /usr/bin/ranlib
Checking for g++                         : ok
Checking for program gcc or cc           : /usr/bin/gcc
Checking for program ar                  : /usr/bin/ar
Checking for program ranlib              : /usr/bin/ranlib
Checking for gcc                         : ok
Checking for library dl                  : yes
Checking for library execinfo            : not found
Checking for openssl                     : not found
Checking for function SSL_library_init   : not found
Checking for header openssl/crypto.h     : not found
Checking for library rt                  : yes
--- libeio ---
Checking for library pthread             : yes
Checking for function pthread_create     : yes
Checking for function pthread_atfork     : yes
(Continue reading)

mscdex | 26 Aug 22:09 2010
Picon

Re: yet more node.js + openssl issues

Have you also installed libssl-dev?

davin | 27 Aug 13:12 2010
Picon

Re: yet more node.js + openssl issues

indeed, i hadnt.
fixed.

cheers!

On Aug 26, 11:09 pm, mscdex <msc...@...> wrote:
> Have you also installed libssl-dev?

Gunnlaugur Briem | 5 Sep 16:16 2010
Picon

Re: yet more node.js + openssl issues

For others: if that doesn't do it for you, you may also be missing pkg-
config --- the configure script uses that to check for openssl.

    - Gulli

On Aug 27, 11:12 am, davin <davin.l...@...> wrote:
> indeed, i hadnt.
> fixed.
>
> cheers!
>
> On Aug 26, 11:09 pm, mscdex <msc...@...> wrote:
>

> > Have you also installed libssl-dev?

mscdex | 5 Sep 19:12 2010

On Sep 5, 10:16 am, Gunnlaugur Briem <gunnlau...@...> wrote:
> For others: if that doesn't do it for you, you may also be missing pkg-
> config --- the configure script uses that to check for openssl.

You don't need pkg-config as long as you have the openssl development
headers installed (properly).

Gunnlaugur Briem | 6 Sep 11:53 2010

On Sep 5, 5:12 pm, mscdex <msc...@...> wrote:
> You don't need pkg-config as long as you have the openssl development
> headers installed (properly).

Hm ... I have openssl and libssl-dev up-to-date on Debian stable.

Just now removed pkg-config and tried configure. It says openssl is
not found, and build/config.log says:

Checking for openssl
pkg-config --errors-to-stdout --print-errors --cflags --libs openssl
/bin/sh: pkg-config: command not found
not found

If you're still sure this is about openssl development headers and not
pkg-config, could you explain, or point somewhere that explains?

Thanks,

    - Gulli

mscdex | 6 Sep 17:54 2010

On Sep 6, 5:53 am, Gunnlaugur Briem <gunnlau...@...> wrote:
> On Sep 5, 5:12 pm, mscdex <msc...@...> wrote:
> If you're still sure this is about openssl development headers and not
> pkg-config, could you explain, or point somewhere that explains?

The wscript that comes with node does several checks for determining
openssl support. One of them is through pkg-config. If it doesn't find
pkg-config or openssl headers installed under pkg-config, it then
checks manually for the header files in the usual/expected paths.

Gabriel Farrell | 13 Sep 06:55 2010
Picon

Re: Re: yet more node.js + openssl issues

Confirmed on Ubuntu Lucid that openssl is not found with libssl-dev
installed but not pkg-config.

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM, mscdex <mscdex@...> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 5:53 am, Gunnlaugur Briem <gunnlau...@...> wrote:
>> On Sep 5, 5:12 pm, mscdex <msc...@...> wrote:
>> If you're still sure this is about openssl development headers and not
>> pkg-config, could you explain, or point somewhere that explains?
>
> The wscript that comes with node does several checks for determining
> openssl support. One of them is through pkg-config. If it doesn't find
> pkg-config or openssl headers installed under pkg-config, it then
> checks manually for the header files in the usual/expected paths.

mscdex | 13 Sep 08:21 2010

On Sep 13, 12:55 am, Gabriel Farrell <gsf...@...> wrote:
> Confirmed on Ubuntu Lucid that openssl is not found with libssl-dev
> installed but not pkg-config.

I suspect there's something fishy going on then. I have libssl-dev
installed and pkg-config not installed on an Ubuntu lucid server
machine and it compiles and packages node with SSL support just fine.

FWIW this is the output I get on the aforementioned machine during ./
configure:
Checking for program g++ or c++          : /usr/bin/g++
Checking for program cpp                 : /usr/bin/cpp
Checking for program ar                  : /usr/bin/ar
Checking for program ranlib              : /usr/bin/ranlib
Checking for g++                         : ok
Checking for program gcc or cc           : /usr/bin/gcc
Checking for gcc                         : ok
Checking for library dl                  : yes
Checking for openssl                     : not found
Checking for function SSL_library_init   : yes
Checking for header openssl/crypto.h     : yes
Checking for library rt                  : yes

Not sure why you're having a problem unless the development headers
are somehow being installed to a directory other than one of the
expected locations that node's wscript looks in.

MilesTogoe | 13 Sep 19:37 2010

  On 09/12/2010 11:21 PM, mscdex wrote:
> On Sep 13, 12:55 am, Gabriel Farrell<gsf...@...>  wrote:
>> Confirmed on Ubuntu Lucid that openssl is not found with libssl-dev
>> installed but not pkg-config.
> I suspect there's something fishy going on then. I have libssl-dev
> installed and pkg-config not installed on an Ubuntu lucid server
> machine and it compiles and packages node with SSL support just fine.

yes, we found that libssl-dev was not installed with openssl - we had to
apt-get it - then node compiled fine.

> FWIW this is the output I get on the aforementioned machine during ./
> configure:
> Checking for program g++ or c++          : /usr/bin/g++
> Checking for program cpp                 : /usr/bin/cpp
> Checking for program ar                  : /usr/bin/ar
> Checking for program ranlib              : /usr/bin/ranlib
> Checking for g++                         : ok
> Checking for program gcc or cc           : /usr/bin/gcc
> Checking for gcc                         : ok
> Checking for library dl                  : yes
> Checking for openssl                     : not found
> Checking for function SSL_library_init   : yes
> Checking for header openssl/crypto.h     : yes
> Checking for library rt                  : yes
>
> Not sure why you're having a problem unless the development headers
> are somehow being installed to a directory other than one of the
> expected locations that node's wscript looks in.

(Continue reading)

Gabriel Farrell | 13 Sep 22:25 2010
Picon

Re: Re: yet more node.js + openssl issues

Now I see. The "Checking for openssl" line is the pkg_config check,
and the two following are the manual checks. So even though
./configure says openssl is not found node will still compile with
crypto. Thanks for clarifying.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM, mscdex <mscdex@...> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 12:55 am, Gabriel Farrell <gsf...@...> wrote:
>> Confirmed on Ubuntu Lucid that openssl is not found with libssl-dev
>> installed but not pkg-config.
>
> I suspect there's something fishy going on then. I have libssl-dev
> installed and pkg-config not installed on an Ubuntu lucid server
> machine and it compiles and packages node with SSL support just fine.
>
> FWIW this is the output I get on the aforementioned machine during ./
> configure:
> Checking for program g++ or c++          : /usr/bin/g++
> Checking for program cpp                 : /usr/bin/cpp
> Checking for program ar                  : /usr/bin/ar
> Checking for program ranlib              : /usr/bin/ranlib
> Checking for g++                         : ok
> Checking for program gcc or cc           : /usr/bin/gcc
> Checking for gcc                         : ok
> Checking for library dl                  : yes
> Checking for openssl                     : not found
> Checking for function SSL_library_init   : yes
> Checking for header openssl/crypto.h     : yes
> Checking for library rt                  : yes
>
> Not sure why you're having a problem unless the development headers
(Continue reading)

Franck Bret | 21 Sep 00:49 2010
Picon

Re: yet more node.js + openssl issues

On centos 5.3 you will need to install openssl-devel in place of
debian libssl-dev package :
yum install gcc-c++
yum install openssl-devel