Olly | 29 Aug 20:33 2010

Introducing Parrot - A lightning fast, lightweight templating engine (just 33 LOC!)

Hi All,

I have always believed that the simplest solution was the best
solution. Today i release Parrot, a templating engine designed for use
in Node.js, that clocks in at 33 lines of code!

Parrot is designed to compile a block of text into a executable string
which is interpreted by the super fast V8 interpreter. This works so
well, because it allows the user to utilise all the methods and
functions of V8 javascript and node.js with very little overhead. In
fact, you will experience almost no extra overhead at all.

Feedback is encouraged and welcome! I will be adding parrot as an
output filter to Nitrode in the near future.

Please take a look at the repository here (Full documentation
provided!):

>> http://github.com/ollym/parrot <<

Regards,
Olly

joseph moniz | 29 Aug 20:46 2010
Picon

Re: Introducing Parrot - A lightning fast, lightweight templating engine (just 33 LOC!)

Template caching would be nice (all though your current api doesn't
accommodate this well). It would eliminate the overhead from the regex
statements on non initial calls. Other then that, nice work.

-Joseph Moniz

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Olly <oliver.morgan@...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have always believed that the simplest solution was the best
> solution. Today i release Parrot, a templating engine designed for use
> in Node.js, that clocks in at 33 lines of code!
>
> Parrot is designed to compile a block of text into a executable string
> which is interpreted by the super fast V8 interpreter. This works so
> well, because it allows the user to utilise all the methods and
> functions of V8 javascript and node.js with very little overhead. In
> fact, you will experience almost no extra overhead at all.
>
> Feedback is encouraged and welcome! I will be adding parrot as an
> output filter to Nitrode in the near future.
>
> Please take a look at the repository here (Full documentation
> provided!):
>
>>> http://github.com/ollym/parrot <<
>
> Regards,
> Olly

(Continue reading)

Olly | 29 Aug 21:06 2010

Re: Introducing Parrot - A lightning fast, lightweight templating engine (just 33 LOC!)

Hi Joseph,

Next major update will support caching and some extra flexibility such
as configuring the opening and closing tags, as i don't particularly
like <% and %> but most people seem to use that.

Anyway, thanks for your support. Always appreciated.

Regards,
Olly

On Aug 29, 7:46 pm, joseph moniz <joseph.mo...@...> wrote:
> Template caching would be nice (all though your current api doesn't
> accommodate this well). It would eliminate the overhead from the regex
> statements on non initial calls. Other then that, nice work.
>
> -Joseph Moniz
>

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Olly <oliver.mor...@...> wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> > I have always believed that the simplest solution was the best
> > solution. Today i release Parrot, a templating engine designed for use
> > in Node.js, that clocks in at 33 lines of code!
>
> > Parrot is designed to compile a block of text into a executable string
> > which is interpreted by the super fast V8 interpreter. This works so
> > well, because it allows the user to utilise all the methods and
(Continue reading)

Olly | 29 Aug 22:28 2010

Re: Introducing Parrot - A lightning fast, lightweight templating engine (just 33 LOC!)

Hi All + Joseph,

Latest (v0.2.0) of Parrot now support output buffering, caching,
global configuration and custom tag support. Obviously now parrot is
several lines of code longer, but the original concepts still apply!

If you encounter any issues or have any suggestions, then please say
so!

Kind Regards,
Olly

PS. Documentation has been fully updated to reflect these changes.
Enjoy!

On Aug 29, 8:06 pm, Olly <oliver.mor...@...> wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> Next major update will support caching and some extra flexibility such
> as configuring the opening and closing tags, as i don't particularly
> like <% and %> but most people seem to use that.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your support. Always appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Olly
>
> On Aug 29, 7:46 pm, joseph moniz <joseph.mo...@...> wrote:

(Continue reading)

Stephen Belanger | 30 Aug 00:10 2010
Picon

Re: Re: Introducing Parrot - A lightning fast, lightweight templating engine (just 33 LOC!)

Looks pretty awesome. I'm definitely going to have to give this one a try. :)