ec.developer | 5 Jan 15:25 2011
Picon

vsize of my nodejs server is more than 600mb. Is it normal?

Hello, all!

I have an application. When I start it on my local computer, the
amount of rss is abou 10 mb, and vsize: ~45mb . I've deployed it to a
remote server (64bit), and started it. When I looked at the
process.memoryUsage() results, I've seen that the rss is about 13-14
mb, and the vsize: ~615mb!
And those results I got when no users was connected to my server (just
a single one).

Is it normal?

ec.developer | 7 Jan 13:12 2011
Picon

Re: vsize of my nodejs server is more than 600mb. Is it normal?

Nobody?

On Jan 5, 4:25 pm, "ec.developer" <ec.develo...@...> wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I have an application. When I start it on my local computer, the
> amount of rss is abou 10 mb, and vsize: ~45mb . I've deployed it to a
> remote server (64bit), and started it. When I looked at the
> process.memoryUsage() results, I've seen that the rss is about 13-14
> mb, and the vsize: ~615mb!
> And those results I got when no users was connected to my server (just
> a single one).
>
> Is it normal?

Mikhail Korobov | 7 Jan 13:50 2011

Re: vsize of my nodejs server is more than 600mb. Is it normal?

Why do you care about vsize? Virtual memory is free and a lot of
programs allocates gigabytes of VIRT memory.

The only issue with VIRT is OpenVZ containers where VIRT is limited
instead of RSS. This leads to huge memory consumption on OpenVZ
containers for many software projects that are working fine on XEN or
real servers (apache2, mysql innodb and java machine are among them).

I'd suggest avoid OpenVZ and don't worry about vsize of programs.

On 7 янв, 17:12, "ec.developer" <ec.develo...@...> wrote:
> Nobody?
>
> On Jan 5, 4:25 pm, "ec.developer" <ec.develo...@...> wrote:
>

> > Hello, all!
>
> > I have an application. When I start it on my local computer, the
> > amount of rss is abou 10 mb, and vsize: ~45mb . I've deployed it to a
> > remote server (64bit), and started it. When I looked at the
> > process.memoryUsage() results, I've seen that the rss is about 13-14
> > mb, and the vsize: ~615mb!
> > And those results I got when no users was connected to my server (just
> > a single one).
(Continue reading)

Oleg Efimov (Sannis | 7 Jan 20:35 2011
Picon

Re: vsize of my nodejs server is more than 600mb. Is it normal?

Can you give any reference about low level interpretation of virtual
memory?

On 7 янв, 15:50, Mikhail Korobov <kmik...@...> wrote:
> Why do you care about vsize? Virtual memory is free and a lot of
> programs allocates gigabytes of VIRT memory.
>
> The only issue with VIRT is OpenVZ containers where VIRT is limited
> instead of RSS. This leads to huge memory consumption on OpenVZ
> containers for many software projects that are working fine on XEN or
> real servers (apache2, mysql innodb and java machine are among them).
>
> I'd suggest avoid OpenVZ and don't worry about vsize of programs.
>
> On 7 янв, 17:12, "ec.developer" <ec.develo...@...> wrote:
>
> > Nobody?
>
> > On Jan 5, 4:25 pm, "ec.developer" <ec.develo...@...> wrote:
>
> > > Hello, all!
>
> > > I have an application. When I start it on my local computer, the
> > > amount of rss is abou 10 mb, and vsize: ~45mb . I've deployed it to a
> > > remote server (64bit), and started it. When I looked at the
> > > process.memoryUsage() results, I've seen that the rss is about 13-14
> > > mb, and the vsize: ~615mb!
> > > And those results I got when no users was connected to my server (just
> > > a single one).

(Continue reading)

Mikhail Korobov | 7 Jan 21:11 2011

Re: vsize of my nodejs server is more than 600mb. Is it normal?

The http://linux-mm.org/ site can be helpful, it has tons of info
about linux memory management including a whole 8MB pdf book
'Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager' by Mel Gorman.

Here is a short article about the actual memory footprint:
http://linux-mm.org/ActualMemoryFootprint

On 8 янв, 00:35, "Oleg Efimov (Sannis)" <efimo...@...> wrote:
> Can you give any reference about low level interpretation of virtual
> memory?
>
> On 7 янв, 15:50, Mikhail Korobov <kmik...@...> wrote:
>

> > Why do you care about vsize? Virtual memory is free and a lot of
> > programs allocates gigabytes of VIRT memory.
>
> > The only issue with VIRT is OpenVZ containers where VIRT is limited
> > instead of RSS. This leads to huge memory consumption on OpenVZ
> > containers for many software projects that are working fine on XEN or
> > real servers (apache2, mysql innodb and java machine are among them).
>
> > I'd suggest avoid OpenVZ and don't worry about vsize of programs.
>
> > On 7 янв, 17:12, "ec.developer" <ec.develo...@...> wrote:
(Continue reading)

Mikhail Korobov | 7 Jan 21:26 2011

Re: vsize of my nodejs server is more than 600mb. Is it normal?

It should be noted that in linux each thread has its own stack, this
stack is allocated in virtual memory and it is usually consuming about
10MB of virtual memory per thread. So any multi-threaded software will
consume a lot of virtual memory and it is a pain to have this software
run in OpenVZ containers. I believe node.js has an internal thread
pool and this can also contribute to virtual memory consumption. But
anyway this shouldn't be a problem unless you're using OpenVZ and if
you're using OpenVZ you have many problems besides node.js internal
thread pool.