Westley Hennigh | 25 Jan 23:44 2013
Picon

julia on windows cannot write sys.ji in some places

This is, unfortunately, a pretty immediate blocker for me, I would really like to push an overhall to the windows julia studio ide today.

Essentially, if julia is installed somewhere that requires privileges to modify (say, "Program Files", then it won't be able to write out the sys.ji file it generates.

I see a few options:
1. I could install it somewhere separate. This could work, but it seems opaque (and it may be frustrating to update the relative paths I'm using).
2. When writing sys.ji, Julia could ask for elevated privileges. I'm not sure where or how to do this, but I can see plenty of situations where I might want to use Julia to update protected files, so I think this should be done eventually).
3. Sys.ji could be written somewhere different on windows. Also opaque, probably more so than 1, and seems like a silly patch

Could anyone help me with 2?

--

Westley Hennigh | 25 Jan 23:46 2013
Picon

Re: julia on windows cannot write sys.ji in some places

I'm leaving extraneous parens all over the place today

[...]

Jameson Nash | 25 Jan 23:56 2013
Picon

Re: julia on windows cannot write sys.ji in some places

I think sys.ji files are once again redistributable (I found/fixed a hard coded user path)

"%APPDATA%/Julia" is a good alternative user location for this (client.jl sets %HOME% to this location; it's already used for other julia files, such as packages)

-jameson

[...]

Attachment (smime.p7s): application/pkcs7-signature, 2144 bytes
Westley Hennigh | 26 Jan 00:11 2013
Picon

Re: julia on windows cannot write sys.ji in some places

Have you tested moving a sys.ji around? That would be fantastic news

[...]

Westley Hennigh | 26 Jan 00:50 2013
Picon

Re: julia on windows cannot write sys.ji in some places

Just tested, it seems to work! Awesome!

[...]

Alessandro "Jake" Andrioni | 26 Jan 02:42 2013
Picon

Re: julia on windows cannot write sys.ji in some places

On 25 January 2013 20:44, Westley Hennigh
<westleyargentum@...> wrote:
> Essentially, if julia is installed somewhere that requires privileges to
> modify (say, "Program Files", then it won't be able to write out the sys.ji
> file it generates.
> (...)
> 2. When writing sys.ji, Julia could ask for elevated privileges. I'm not
> sure where or how to do this, but I can see plenty of situations where I
> might want to use Julia to update protected files, so I think this should be
> done eventually).

I'd really like to ask you to avoid using protected files/directories
whenever it's possible, as they can be annoying. Few users in my lab
have admin rights in Windows (university policy), and I'd like them to
have an experience as painless as possible, since most of them have no
programming experience with anything that isn't Matlab and/or
Mathematica.

Otherwise, good work! :)

Westley Hennigh | 26 Jan 02:54 2013
Picon

Re: julia on windows cannot write sys.ji in some places

I'm with you. My concern is just to make sure things work for users who do stick the ide in protected places ("Program Files" is the most obvious example).

But everything (that works) works in non protected places just fine :)