PIKAL Petr | 21 Feb 16:26 2013
Picon

package ReadImages

Dear all

I prepared some image processing routine which depended on package ReadImages. Basically I imported
image to R, changed rgb to grayscale, normalised an image made some selections and changed to image by imagematrix.

Recently I learned that this package was removed from CRAN and can not be used in R 3.0.0.

What options I have now to import image to R, change it to grayscale, make some computation or selection,
change it back to image and plot for visual inspection.

Thanks
Petr

Greg Snow | 22 Feb 06:44 2013
Picon

Re: package ReadImages

Some possibilities:  The EBImage package on Bioconductor; the jpeg and png
packages read jpeg and png images.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM, PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal <at> precheza.cz> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I prepared some image processing routine which depended on package
> ReadImages. Basically I imported image to R, changed rgb to grayscale,
> normalised an image made some selections and changed to image by
> imagematrix.
>
> Recently I learned that this package was removed from CRAN and can not be
> used in R 3.0.0.
>
> What options I have now to import image to R, change it to grayscale, make
> some computation or selection, change it back to image and plot for visual
> inspection.
>
> Thanks
> Petr

Prof Brian Ripley | 22 Feb 08:17 2013

Re: package ReadImages

On 22/02/2013 05:44, Greg Snow wrote:
> Some possibilities:  The EBImage package on Bioconductor; the jpeg and png
> packages read jpeg and png images.

Almost everyone using ReadImages was using it to read TIFF images, which
package tiff can do.  See the 'Data Import/Export Manual',
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-data.html#Image-files .

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM, PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal <at> precheza.cz> wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> I prepared some image processing routine which depended on package
>> ReadImages. Basically I imported image to R, changed rgb to grayscale,
>> normalised an image made some selections and changed to image by
>> imagematrix.
>>
>> Recently I learned that this package was removed from CRAN and can not be
>> used in R 3.0.0.

It was archived, already being orphaned.  When R 3.0.0 is released you
can see if it works there: I expect it to.

>> What options I have now to import image to R, change it to grayscale, make
>> some computation or selection, change it back to image and plot for visual
>> inspection.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Petr
(Continue reading)

PIKAL Petr | 22 Feb 09:36 2013
Picon

Re: package ReadImages

Hi

Thanks, I will try.

> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM, PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal <at> precheza.cz>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all
> >>
> >> I prepared some image processing routine which depended on package
> >> ReadImages. Basically I imported image to R, changed rgb to
> >> grayscale, normalised an image made some selections and changed to
> >> image by imagematrix.
(Continue reading)

PIKAL Petr | 22 Feb 09:57 2013
Picon

Re: package ReadImages

Thanks.

I tried EBImage several years ago for another problem, but Bioconductor packages have some difficulties
to install in our network/firewall environment and I am not in a position to change it. It seems to me also an
overkill for such simple task.

jpeg and png seems to me a bit too much simple, without direct possibility to transform from rgb to grayscale
and normalisation.

Anyway, I will give it a try.

Petr