Charles Oliver Nutter | 1 Jun 01:51 2009
Picon

Help JRuby "win" at JavaOne Script Bowl

Hey there folks! There will be a "Script Bowl" again this year at
JavaOne, and we'd like your help in the "Community" round. We'd like to
show slides listing projects, conferences, books, etc to show how
healthy and busy the Ruby community is. I think just showing the sheet
numbers of projects, etc will really drive the point home.

So I started a quick list of categories (probably one slide per
category) and items to list here:

http://gist.github.com/121082

If you have suggestions, reply to this email, email me directly, or
whatever.

Thanks very much everybody :)

- Charlie

Ted Han | 1 Jun 03:35 2009
Picon

[jruby-user] Re: Help JRuby "win" at JavaOne Script Bowl

Hey Headius,

By my count there are 4664 unique gems up on rubyforge?  Do i have fail? Additionally, you can get stats for the highest downloaded gems as well here: http://gems.rubyforge.org/stats.html

* Mack is another rack based framework ( http://www.mackframework.com/ ).
* Iowa ( http://enigo.com/projects/iowa/tutorial/what_is_it.html ) is an older web framework that Kirk Haines of Engine Yard still works on (which incidentally was conceived of a long time ago by Avi Bryant).
* You're also leaving off Harbor (formerly called wheels) which was produced by sam smoot & co. at Wieck Media ( http://wiecklabs.com/ ), which is rack based and jruby only.

You might want to mention easy command line tool creators, rake and thor are really good examples of that (although that requires some explanation).

-Ted (knowtheory)

Hey there folks! There will be a "Script Bowl" again this year at JavaOne, and we'd like your help in the "Community" round. We'd like to show slides listing projects, conferences, books, etc to show how healthy and busy the Ruby community is. I think just showing the sheet numbers of projects, etc will really drive the point home.

So I started a quick list of categories (probably one slide per category) and items to list here:

http://gist.github.com/121082

If you have suggestions, reply to this email, email me directly, or whatever.

Thanks very much everybody :)

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter | 1 Jun 09:29 2009
Picon

Re: [jruby-user] Re: Help JRuby "win" at JavaOne Script Bowl

Ted Han wrote:
> Hey Headius,
>
> By my count there are 4664 unique gems up on rubyforge?  Do i have fail?
> Additionally, you can get stats for the highest downloaded gems as well
> here: http://gems.rubyforge.org/stats.html

I just pulled the full raw gem list and processed it. The stats line
count is probably more correct.

> * Mack is another rack based framework ( http://www.mackframework.com/ ).

Had no idea about this one.

> * Iowa ( http://enigo.com/projects/iowa/tutorial/what_is_it.html ) is an
> older web framework that Kirk Haines of Engine Yard still works on
> (which incidentally was conceived of a long time ago by Avi Bryant).

Good catch, had forgotten it.

> * You're also leaving off Harbor (formerly called wheels) which was
> produced by sam smoot & co. at Wieck Media ( http://wiecklabs.com/ ),
> which is rack based and jruby only.

Wow, no idea. Good find.

> You might want to mention easy command line tool creators, rake and thor
> are really good examples of that (although that requires some explanation).

Yeah, probably would fall under "development tools" category or
something, along with rspec, test/unit, cucumber, and more...

- Charlie

Gmane