Reinout Heeck | 1 Mar 11:19 2006

Re: Two store questions

Steven Kelly wrote:

> If Reinout would really still hit this problem often with only 4-6
> pairs,

I don't know how often this occurs. Personally I've seen this problem once, I
don't know how often it happens under the radar.

> I think he could be encouraged to look at whether his work
> process is a contributory factor, not just Store. If every pair is
> encouraged to edit the same pundle often - to exaggerate, say an
> "AllSoopsStuff" bundle, which everybody is asked to update and publish
> whenever they publish a package - then that bundle will of course be a
> hotspot for locking conflicts. That's bad, even if Store would recognise
> the conflicts.

See
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/travis/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3265388740
for some of my views on bundles and our process.

> Version control systems that allow forks are simply not
> built to implement a single version path, where everyone is constantly
> adding a new version.

We are not simply adding, we rely on the publish dialog to tell us whether a
merge is necessary: if dotted versions appear I have to merge after the
publishing to bring my changes into the head version. The bug under
discussion endangers this process.