David Chisnall | 20 Jul 16:28 2011

[ANN] GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.5

Hi Everyone,

I've just pushed the 1.5 release of libobjc2 (yes, I said I would do this a week ago, but PyObjC uncovered a
couple of bugs that I wanted to fix first).  Thanks to Niels, Quentin, Sebastian, Wolfgang, Ludovic, and
everyone else who helped me find and fix bugs and test new features.

This is an important release for GNUstep, because it's one of the few times when we're not playing catchup
with Apple.  This release of the runtime supports all of the Objective-C language features supported by
the compiler that Apple ships for OS X 10.7 and iOS 5 under the brand Apple's LLVM Compiler 3[1].

This includes support for automatic reference counting, which is now the default development mode for OS X
and is fully supported by the runtime, in combination with LLVM / Clang trunk.

David

[1] Actually a snapshot of LLVM / Clang trunk from between 2.9 and 3.0.  LLVM releases don't always happen at
convenient times for Apple, so the use their own release numbers.

GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.5
===============================

This is the sixth official release of the GNUstep Objective-C runtime (a.k.a.
libobjc2).  This runtime was designed to support the features of Objective-C 2
for use with GNUstep and other Objective-C programs.  Highlights of this
release include:

- Support for Apple-compatible garbage collection APIs, along with extensions
  to support CoreFoundation-style explicit reference counting in a garbage
  collected environment.  This uses the Boehm garbage collector and is enabled
  by specifying boehm_gc=yes when building.  This requires version 7.1 or later
(Continue reading)

Gerold Rupprecht | 21 Jul 01:28 2011
Picon

Re: [ANN] GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.5

Thanks David, and congratulations to all contributors!

Best wishes,

Gerold