Joshua Grauman | 2 Apr 07:43 2012
Picon

Double Clicking on a phone

Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is any way to change double click sensitivity
in Qt/Android? It usually takes me at least 10 times to get a double
click to register on my phone due to using a touch screen rather than
a mouse. I'm assuming I'm not clicking in the exact same spot both
times and so it doesn't register. Is there any way to make the radius
larger of what is considered the same spot for a double click? Also,
is there any *Qt-system-wide* way to implement a long-click, to
trigger a double click event? Thanks for any hints!

Josh

Marco Bernasocchi | 2 Apr 11:05 2012
Picon

Re:Double Clicking on a phone

Hi Josh I m very interested in the fouble click issue as well since i ve the same problem with my app.
I succesfully implemented longclick with qtgestures. Look at https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h
Qttapanholdgesture is the keyword
Ciao

Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)
http://opengis.ch

I'm wondering if there is any way to change double click sensitivity
in Qt/Android? It usually takes me at least 10 times to get a double
click to register on my phone due to using a touch screen rather than
a mouse. I'm assuming I'm not clicking in the exact same spot both
times and so it doesn't register. Is there any way to make the radius
larger of what is considered the same spot for a double click? Also,
is there any *Qt-system-wide* way to implement a long-click, to
trigger a double click event? Thanks for any hints!

Josh
Joshua Grauman | 2 Apr 16:36 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

After much practice, I've found that I can actually get my double
click percentage quite a bit better. It's sort of a skill to acquire.
However, I still think it would be really nice to be able to lower the
sensitivity.

On Apr 2, 2:05 am, Marco Bernasocchi <ma...@...> wrote:
> Hi Josh I m very interested in the fouble click issue as well since i ve
> the same problem with my app.
> I succesfully implemented longclick with qtgestures. Look athttps://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h
> Qttapanholdgesture is the keyword
> Ciao
>
> Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)http://opengis.ch
> On Apr 2, 2012 7:43 AM, "Joshua Grauman" <scroll...@...> wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
>
> > I'm wondering if there is any way to change double click sensitivity
> > in Qt/Android? It usually takes me at least 10 times to get a double
> > click to register on my phone due to using a touch screen rather than
> > a mouse. I'm assuming I'm not clicking in the exact same spot both
> > times and so it doesn't register. Is there any way to make the radius
> > larger of what is considered the same spot for a double click? Also,
> > is there any *Qt-system-wide* way to implement a long-click, to
> > trigger a double click event? Thanks for any hints!
>
> > Josh

Willy Gardiol | 2 Apr 16:59 2012

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

Usually, "double tap" is not implemented on mobiles like on Desktop...

When "double tap" is used on mobile, it works like this:
- First tap, select the item
- Second tap activates it
and this behaviour is expected ONLY for items which do not get
"activated" on single tap.
Basically it's not a double click but a "tap and tap again" which does
not rerquire sensitivy, since the second tap can occur at amy time.

I would definitely NOT rely on double click as on desktop because users
will not feel it familiar on mobile.

I had at least this experience on Nokia (Synbian), and i find it
similar on Android.

Il 02.04.2012 16:36 Joshua Grauman ha scritto:
> After much practice, I've found that I can actually get my double
> click percentage quite a bit better. It's sort of a skill to acquire.
> However, I still think it would be really nice to be able to lower
> the
> sensitivity.
>
> On Apr 2, 2:05 am, Marco Bernasocchi <ma...@...> wrote:
>> Hi Josh I m very interested in the fouble click issue as well since
>> i ve
>> the same problem with my app.
>> I succesfully implemented longclick with qtgestures. Look
>> athttps://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h
>> Qttapanholdgesture is the keyword
>> Ciao
>>
>> Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)http://opengis.ch
>> On Apr 2, 2012 7:43 AM, "Joshua Grauman" <scroll...@...>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > Hello all,
>>
>> > I'm wondering if there is any way to change double click
>> sensitivity
>> > in Qt/Android? It usually takes me at least 10 times to get a
>> double
>> > click to register on my phone due to using a touch screen rather
>> than
>> > a mouse. I'm assuming I'm not clicking in the exact same spot both
>> > times and so it doesn't register. Is there any way to make the
>> radius
>> > larger of what is considered the same spot for a double click?
>> Also,
>> > is there any *Qt-system-wide* way to implement a long-click, to
>> > trigger a double click event? Thanks for any hints!
>>
>> > Josh

Willy Gardiol
willy@...
www.gardiol.org
www.trackaway.org -> Track YOUR way the way you want!

Marco Bernasocchi | 2 Apr 17:16 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

Well what about double click zoom in in google maps?
Ciao

Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)
http://opengis.ch

--
Willy Gardiol
willy-XhRz/NeMxf5AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org
www.gardiol.org
www.trackaway.org -> Track YOUR way the way you want!
Willy Gardiol | 2 Apr 21:06 2012

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

Zoom is expected to be pinch zoom...
it's ok to add an additional gesture like this, but you need a more
§"mobile" primary in my opinion...

Il 02.04.2012 17:16 Marco Bernasocchi ha scritto:
> Well what about double click zoom in in google maps?
>  Ciao
>
> Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)
>  http://opengis.ch [8]
> On Apr 2, 2012 5:09 PM, "Willy Gardiol" <willy@... [9]>
> wrote:
>
>> Usually, "double tap" is not implemented on mobiles like on
>> Desktop...
>>
>> When "double tap" is used on mobile, it works like this:
>> - First tap, select the item
>> - Second tap activates it
>> and this behaviour is expected ONLY for items which do not get
>> "activated" on single tap.
>> Basically its not a double click but a "tap and tap again" which
>> does not rerquire sensitivy, since the second tap can occur at amy
>> time.
>>
>> I would definitely NOT rely on double click as on desktop because
>> users will not feel it familiar on mobile.
>>
>> I had at least this experience on Nokia (Synbian), and i find it
>> similar on Android.
>>
>> Il 02.04.2012 16:36 Joshua Grauman ha scritto:
>>
>>> After much practice, Ive found that I can actually get my double
>>> click percentage quite a bit better. Its sort of a skill to
>>> acquire.
>>> However, I still think it would be really nice to be able to
>>> lower the
>>> sensitivity.

>> athttps://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h

>> --
>> Willy Gardiol
>> willy@... [5]
>> www.gardiol.org [6]
>> www.trackaway.org [7] -> Track YOUR way the way you want!
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h
> [2] http://opengis.ch
> [3] mailto:scroll...@...
> [4] mailto:ma...@...
> [5] mailto:willy@...
> [6] http://www.gardiol.org
> [7] http://www.trackaway.org
> [8] http://opengis.ch
> [9] mailto:willy@...

Willy Gardiol
willy@...
www.gardiol.org
www.trackaway.org -> Track YOUR way the way you want!

Marco Bernasocchi | 2 Apr 21:31 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

I have pinch zoom, but i find myself using very often the double tap gesture on google maps, foremost when using my phone one handed.
Ciao

Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)
http://opengis.ch

--
Willy Gardiol
willy-XhRz/NeMxf5AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org [5]
www.gardiol.org [6]
www.trackaway.org [7] -> Track YOUR way the way you want!

Links:
------
[1] http://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h
[2] http://opengis.ch
[3] mailto:scroll... <at> gmail.com
[4] mailto:ma... <at> bernawebdesign.ch
[5] mailto:willy <at> gardiol.org
[6] http://www.gardiol.org
[7] http://www.trackaway.org
[8] http://opengis.ch
[9] mailto:willy <at> gardiol.org

--
Willy Gardiol
willy-XhRz/NeMxf5AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org
www.gardiol.org
www.trackaway.org -> Track YOUR way the way you want!
Joshua Grauman | 2 Apr 23:30 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

In my case I'm porting a complex desktop app to android. It's a pretty
specialized app and not intended for the general public. Those who
want to use it I'm sure will be willing to use some non-standard
interfaces for mobile, as long as things work reasonably well. It
actually works pretty well just recompiling. There's no way I'm going
to be able to redesign the entire interface, so I'm trying to make
minor tweaks here or there to make it run better on Android. Double
clicking actually works just recompiling, but changing the sensitivity
could make it much more usable. Thanks!

Josh

On Apr 2, 12:31 pm, Marco Bernasocchi <ma...@...> wrote:
> I have pinch zoom, but i find myself using very often the double tap
> gesture on google maps, foremost when using my phone one handed.
> Ciao
>
> Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)http://opengis.ch
> On Apr 2, 2012 9:07 PM, "Willy Gardiol" <wi...@...> wrote:
>

> > Zoom is expected to be pinch zoom...
> > it's ok to add an additional gesture like this, but you need a more
> > §"mobile" primary in my opinion...
>
> > Il 02.04.2012 17:16 Marco Bernasocchi ha scritto:
>
> >> Well what about double click zoom in in google maps?
> >>  Ciao
>
> >> Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)
> >>  http://opengis.ch[8]
> >> On Apr 2, 2012 5:09 PM, "Willy Gardiol" <wi...@... [9]> wrote:
>
> >>  Usually, "double tap" is not implemented on mobiles like on

> >> Links:
> >> ------
> >> [1]http://github.com/qgis/**Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/**app/qgisapp.h<http://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h>
> >> [2]http://opengis.ch
> >> [3] mailto:scroll...@...
> >> [4] mailto:ma...@...
> >> [5] mailto:wi...@...
> >> [6]http://www.gardiol.org
> >> [7]http://www.trackaway.org
> >> [8]http://opengis.ch
> >> [9] mailto:wi...@...
>
> > --
> > Willy Gardiol
> > wi...@...
> >www.gardiol.org
> >www.trackaway.org-> Track YOUR way the way you want!

Joshua Grauman | 3 Apr 00:44 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

I just noticed that QApp::setDoubleClickInterval(int) doesn't appear
to do anything in my app. Maybe it's simply a matter of the double
click interval being too fast? Looking at the Qt source, it doesn't
look like any sort of distance/radius sensitivity is programmed in. So
I'm thinking now it's just simply a matter of needing to use a slower
double click interval. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Thanks!

Josh

<ma...@...> wrote:

> > I have pinch zoom, but i find myself using very often the double tap
> > gesture on google maps, foremost when using my phone one handed.
> > Ciao
>
> > Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)http://opengis.ch
> > On Apr 2, 2012 9:07 PM, "Willy Gardiol" <wi...@...> wrote:
>
> > > Zoom is expected to be pinch zoom...
> > > it's ok to add an additional gesture like this, but you need a more
> > > §"mobile" primary in my opinion...

> > > --
> > > Willy Gardiol
> > > wi...@...
> > >www.gardiol.org
> > >www.trackaway.org-> Track YOUR way the way you want!

Tyler Mandry | 3 Apr 06:40 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

I would guess that it has something to do with the "clicks" not happening in the exact same place, but I could be wrong.

On Apr 2, 2:30 pm, Joshua Grauman <scroll...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In my case I'm porting a complex desktop app to android. It's a pretty
> specialized app and not intended for the general public. Those who
> want to use it I'm sure will be willing to use some non-standard
> interfaces for mobile, as long as things work reasonably well. It
> actually works pretty well just recompiling. There's no way I'm going
> to be able to redesign the entire interface, so I'm trying to make
> minor tweaks here or there to make it run better on Android. Double
> clicking actually works just recompiling, but changing the sensitivity
> could make it much more usable. Thanks!
>
> Josh
>
> On Apr 2, 12:31 pm, Marco Bernasocchi <ma...-mKcFXjbjhoaovDFt+AQlJe1GAupnlqi7@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> > I have pinch zoom, but i find myself using very often the double tap
> > gesture on google maps, foremost when using my phone one handed.
> > Ciao
>
> > Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)http://opengis.ch
> > On Apr 2, 2012 9:07 PM, "Willy Gardiol" <wi...-XhRz/NeMxf5AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > > Zoom is expected to be pinch zoom...
> > > it's ok to add an additional gesture like this, but you need a more
> > > §"mobile" primary in my opinion...

> > > --
> > > Willy Gardiol
> > > wi...-XhRz/NeMxf5AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org
> > >www.gardiol.org
> > >www.trackaway.org-> Track YOUR way the way you want!

--
Tyler Mandry
Joshua Grauman | 3 Apr 06:43 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

That was my first guess as well, but looking at the qt source code, it
doesn't look like that is the case...

Josh

<ma...@...> wrote:

> >http://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h>

> >http://github.com/qgis/**Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/**app/qgisapp.h<
> >http://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h>

> --
> Tyler Mandry

faenil | 3 Apr 10:24 2012
Picon

Re: Double Clicking on a phone

I have the same problem with my app! :(

I wanted to start a similar thread ...

we have to sort it out, doubleclicking is impossible...ok it's easier if you get used to it, but I'm sure my software would make lots of people when they'll keep trying to doubleclick without success...

I already tried setting the doubleclick interval weeks ago, but it didn't seem to produce any effect :(

I'm wondering if there is any way to change double click sensitivity
in Qt/Android? It usually takes me at least 10 times to get a double
click to register on my phone due to using a touch screen rather than
a mouse. I'm assuming I'm not clicking in the exact same spot both
times and so it doesn't register. Is there any way to make the radius
larger of what is considered the same spot for a double click? Also,
is there any *Qt-system-wide* way to implement a long-click, to
trigger a double click event? Thanks for any hints!

Josh

Gmane