Archana | 9 Nov 04:02 2012
Picon

Trouble building PAPI on Centos 6

Hi,
I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having linux 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI performance counters?

gcc -O2 -g -Wall -Werror -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y/examples_v2.x/../include -I. -D_GNU_SOURCE -pthread -c rtop.c
rtop.c:36:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
rtop.c: In function ‘setup_screen’:
rtop.c:393: error: implicit declaration of function ‘initscr’
rtop.c:394: error: implicit declaration of function ‘nocbreak’
rtop.c:395: error: implicit declaration of function ‘resizeterm’
rtop.c: In function ‘close_screen’:
rtop.c:403: error: implicit declaration of function ‘endwin’
rtop.c: In function ‘handler_set0’:
rtop.c:525: error: implicit declaration of function ‘printw’
rtop.c: In function ‘do_measure_one_cpu’:
rtop.c:707: error: implicit declaration of function ‘move’
rtop.c: In function ‘mainloop’:
rtop.c:780: error: implicit declaration of function ‘refresh’
make[2]: *** [rtop.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y/examples_v2.x'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y'
make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2


--
Regards,
Archana

<div><p>Hi, <br>I&nbsp; am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having linux 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI performance counters? <br clear="all"><br>gcc -O2 -g -Wall -Werror -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y/examples_v2.x/../include -I. -D_GNU_SOURCE -pthread -c rtop.c<br>rtop.c:36:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory<br>cc1: warnings being treated as errors<br>
rtop.c: In function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;setup_screen&acirc;&euro;&trade;:<br>rtop.c:393: error: implicit declaration of function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;initscr&acirc;&euro;&trade;<br>rtop.c:394: error: implicit declaration of function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;nocbreak&acirc;&euro;&trade;<br>rtop.c:395: error: implicit declaration of function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;resizeterm&acirc;&euro;&trade;<br>
rtop.c: In function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;close_screen&acirc;&euro;&trade;:<br>rtop.c:403: error: implicit declaration of function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;endwin&acirc;&euro;&trade;<br>rtop.c: In function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;handler_set0&acirc;&euro;&trade;:<br>rtop.c:525: error: implicit declaration of function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;printw&acirc;&euro;&trade;<br>
rtop.c: In function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;do_measure_one_cpu&acirc;&euro;&trade;:<br>rtop.c:707: error: implicit declaration of function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;move&acirc;&euro;&trade;<br>rtop.c: In function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;mainloop&acirc;&euro;&trade;:<br>rtop.c:780: error: implicit declaration of function &acirc;&euro;&tilde;refresh&acirc;&euro;&trade;<br>
make[2]: *** [rtop.o] Error 1<br>make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y/examples_v2.x'<br>make[1]: *** [all] Error 2<br>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y'<br>
make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-3.7.2/src/libpfm-3.y/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2<br><br><br>-- <br>Regards,<br>Archana<br></p></div>
Vince Weaver | 9 Nov 04:16 2012
Picon

Re: Trouble building PAPI on Centos 6


On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:

> I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having linux
> 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it
> mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI performance
> counters?

Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2?  If you are 
running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern, 
like PAPI 5.0.1.

Vince

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:

> I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having linux
> 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it
> mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI performance
> counters?

Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2?  If you are 
running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern, 
like PAPI 5.0.1.

Vince
Archana | 9 Nov 10:18 2012
Picon

Re: Trouble building PAPI 5.0.1 on Centos 6

Hi,
 Now i am getting the following error-

gcc  -Wno-override-init  -g -Wall -Werror -Wextra
-Wno-unused-parameter -I.
-I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/../include
-DCONFIG_PFMLIB_DEBUG -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_OS_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -I.
-DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_X86 -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_I386 -I. -c
pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c
In file included from pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c:33:
pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_priv.h:169: error: width of "res1" exceeds its type
make[2]: *** [pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib'
make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4'
make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2

Do i have to install something else before i install PAPI. I am
specifying the following while doing ./configure as perf_events.h is
in /usr/include/linux.

./configure --with-pcl=yes --with-pcl-incdir=/usr/include/linux

Regards
archana

On 11/9/12, Archana <archanavagish <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Vince
>  No i am not particular about 3.7.2. I shall try PAPI 5.0.1
> Thanks for the quick response,
> archana
>
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Vince Weaver
> <vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu>wrote:
>
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:
>>
>> > I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having
>> > linux
>> > 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it
>> > mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI
>> > performance
>> > counters?
>>
>> Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2?  If you are
>> running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern,
>> like PAPI 5.0.1.
>>
>> Vince
>
>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Archana
>

--

-- 
Regards,
Archana
Jose Pedro Oliveira | 9 Nov 13:30 2012
Picon

Re: Trouble building PAPI 5.0.1 on Centos 6

Archana,

You should be able to build the Fedora RPMS in CentOS6. Download and
rebuild the SRPMS available in these two links:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=351042
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=365283

jpo
--

-- 
José Pedro Oliveira
* mailto:jpo <at> di.uminho.pt *
William Cohen | 9 Nov 16:35 2012
Picon

Re: Trouble building PAPI 5.0.1 on Centos 6

On 11/09/2012 04:18 AM, Archana wrote:
> Hi,
>  Now i am getting the following error-
> 
> gcc  -Wno-override-init  -g -Wall -Werror -Wextra
> -Wno-unused-parameter -I.
> -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/../include
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_DEBUG -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_OS_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -I.
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_X86 -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_I386 -I. -c
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c
> In file included from pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c:33:
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_priv.h:169: error: width of "res1" exceeds its type
> make[2]: *** [pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib'
> make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4'
> make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2
> 
> Do i have to install something else before i install PAPI. I am
> specifying the following while doing ./configure as perf_events.h is
> in /usr/include/linux.
> 
> ./configure --with-pcl=yes --with-pcl-incdir=/usr/include/linux
> 
> Regards
> archana

That sounds like a problem with the bundled libpfm.  There is a patch in the papi git to address this problme
for 32-bit machine:

http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151

You need something like the attached patch to fix this.

-Will

  
> On 11/9/12, Archana <archanavagish <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Vince
>>  No i am not particular about 3.7.2. I shall try PAPI 5.0.1
>> Thanks for the quick response,
>> archana
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Vince Weaver
>> <vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu>wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:
>>>
>>>> I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having
>>>> linux
>>>> 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it
>>>> mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI
>>>> performance
>>>> counters?
>>>
>>> Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2?  If you are
>>> running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern,
>>> like PAPI 5.0.1.
>>>
>>> Vince
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Archana
>>
> 
> 

Attachment (papi-5.0.1-i686.patch): text/x-patch, 731 bytes
On 11/09/2012 04:18 AM, Archana wrote:
> Hi,
>  Now i am getting the following error-
> 
> gcc  -Wno-override-init  -g -Wall -Werror -Wextra
> -Wno-unused-parameter -I.
> -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/../include
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_DEBUG -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_OS_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -I.
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_X86 -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_I386 -I. -c
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c
> In file included from pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c:33:
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_priv.h:169: error: width of "res1" exceeds its type
> make[2]: *** [pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib'
> make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4'
> make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2
> 
> Do i have to install something else before i install PAPI. I am
> specifying the following while doing ./configure as perf_events.h is
> in /usr/include/linux.
> 
> ./configure --with-pcl=yes --with-pcl-incdir=/usr/include/linux
> 
> Regards
> archana

That sounds like a problem with the bundled libpfm.  There is a patch in the papi git to address this problme
for 32-bit machine:

http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151

You need something like the attached patch to fix this.

-Will

  
> On 11/9/12, Archana <archanavagish <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Vince
>>  No i am not particular about 3.7.2. I shall try PAPI 5.0.1
>> Thanks for the quick response,
>> archana
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Vince Weaver
>> <vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu>wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:
>>>
>>>> I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having
>>>> linux
>>>> 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it
>>>> mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI
>>>> performance
>>>> counters?
>>>
>>> Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2?  If you are
>>> running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern,
>>> like PAPI 5.0.1.
>>>
>>> Vince
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Archana
>>
> 
> 

Archana | 11 Nov 04:12 2012
Picon

Re: Trouble building PAPI 5.0.1 on Centos 6

Hi,

 Thanks for the patch. it made the error go away.
The next error i am getting is the following:

perf_events.c: In function 'detect_rdpmc'
perf_events.c:738: error: 'struct perf_event_mmap_page' has no member named 'cap_usr_rdpmc'
Can you please help?
Thanks.

Regards
archana


On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM, William Cohen <wcohen <at> redhat.com> wrote:
On 11/09/2012 04:18 AM, Archana wrote:
> Hi,
>  Now i am getting the following error-
>
> gcc  -Wno-override-init  -g -Wall -Werror -Wextra
> -Wno-unused-parameter -I.
> -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/../include
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_DEBUG -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_OS_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -I.
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_X86 -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_I386 -I. -c
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c
> In file included from pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c:33:
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_priv.h:169: error: width of "res1" exceeds its type
> make[2]: *** [pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib'
> make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4'
> make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2
>
> Do i have to install something else before i install PAPI. I am
> specifying the following while doing ./configure as perf_events.h is
> in /usr/include/linux.
>
> ./configure --with-pcl=yes --with-pcl-incdir=/usr/include/linux
>
> Regards
> archana

That sounds like a problem with the bundled libpfm.  There is a patch in the papi git to address this problme for 32-bit machine:

http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151

You need something like the attached patch to fix this.

-Will


> On 11/9/12, Archana <archanavagish <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Vince
>>  No i am not particular about 3.7.2. I shall try PAPI 5.0.1
>> Thanks for the quick response,
>> archana
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Vince Weaver
>> <vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu>wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:
>>>
>>>> I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having
>>>> linux
>>>> 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it
>>>> mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI
>>>> performance
>>>> counters?
>>>
>>> Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2?  If you are
>>> running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern,
>>> like PAPI 5.0.1.
>>>
>>> Vince
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Archana
>>
>
>




--
Regards,
Archana
<div>
<p>Hi,</p>
<div>&nbsp;Thanks for the patch. it made the error go away.</div>
<div>The next error i am getting is the following:</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>perf_events.c: In function 'detect_rdpmc'</div>
<div>perf_events.c:738: error: 'struct perf_event_mmap_page' has no member named 'cap_usr_rdpmc'</div>
<div>Can you please help?</div>
<div>Thanks.</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>Regards</div>
<div>archana</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>
<br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM, William Cohen <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:wcohen <at> redhat.com" target="_blank">wcohen <at> redhat.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">
<div class="im">On 11/09/2012 04:18 AM, Archana wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Now i am getting the following error-<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; gcc &nbsp;-Wno-override-init &nbsp;-g -Wall -Werror -Wextra<br>
&gt; -Wno-unused-parameter -I.<br>
&gt; -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/../include<br>
&gt; -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_DEBUG -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_OS_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -I.<br>
&gt; -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_X86 -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_I386 -I. -c<br>
&gt; pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c<br>
&gt; In file included from pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c:33:<br>
&gt; pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_priv.h:169: error: width of "res1" exceeds its type<br>
&gt; make[2]: *** [pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.o] Error 1<br>
&gt; make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib'<br>
&gt; make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2<br>
&gt; make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4'<br>
&gt; make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Do i have to install something else before i install PAPI. I am<br>
&gt; specifying the following while doing ./configure as perf_events.h is<br>
&gt; in /usr/include/linux.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ./configure --with-pcl=yes --with-pcl-incdir=/usr/include/linux<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards<br>
&gt; archana<br><br>
</div>That sounds like a problem with the bundled libpfm. &nbsp;There is a patch in the papi git to address this problme for 32-bit machine:<br><br><a href="http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151" target="_blank">http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151</a><br><br>
You need something like the attached patch to fix this.<br><br>
-Will<br><div class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5">
<br><br>
&gt; On 11/9/12, Archana &lt;<a href="mailto:archanavagish <at> gmail.com">archanavagish <at> gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi Vince<br>
&gt;&gt; &nbsp;No i am not particular about 3.7.2. I shall try PAPI 5.0.1<br>
&gt;&gt; Thanks for the quick response,<br>
&gt;&gt; archana<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Vince Weaver<br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu">vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu</a>&gt;wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I &nbsp;am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; linux<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; performance<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; counters?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2? &nbsp;If you are<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; like PAPI 5.0.1.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Vince<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; --<br>
&gt;&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt;&gt; Archana<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br><br>
</div></div>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br><br clear="all"><div><br></div>-- <br>Regards,<br>Archana<br>
</div>
</div>
Archana | 11 Nov 17:40 2012
Picon

Re: Trouble building PAPI 5.0.1 on Centos 6

Hi
I realized i am picking the wrong header file perf_events.h, the error went away when i picked the right one.
Thanks,
archana


 
On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Archana <archanavagish <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
 Thanks for the patch. it made the error go away.
The next error i am getting is the following:

perf_events.c: In function 'detect_rdpmc'
perf_events.c:738: error: 'struct perf_event_mmap_page' has no member named 'cap_usr_rdpmc'
Can you please help?
Thanks.

Regards
archana


On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM, William Cohen <wcohen <at> redhat.com> wrote:
On 11/09/2012 04:18 AM, Archana wrote:
> Hi,
>  Now i am getting the following error-
>
> gcc  -Wno-override-init  -g -Wall -Werror -Wextra
> -Wno-unused-parameter -I.
> -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/../include
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_DEBUG -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_OS_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -I.
> -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_X86 -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_I386 -I. -c
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c
> In file included from pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c:33:
> pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_priv.h:169: error: width of "res1" exceeds its type
> make[2]: *** [pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib'
> make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4'
> make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2
>
> Do i have to install something else before i install PAPI. I am
> specifying the following while doing ./configure as perf_events.h is
> in /usr/include/linux.
>
> ./configure --with-pcl=yes --with-pcl-incdir=/usr/include/linux
>
> Regards
> archana

That sounds like a problem with the bundled libpfm.  There is a patch in the papi git to address this problme for 32-bit machine:

http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151

You need something like the attached patch to fix this.

-Will


> On 11/9/12, Archana <archanavagish <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Vince
>>  No i am not particular about 3.7.2. I shall try PAPI 5.0.1
>> Thanks for the quick response,
>> archana
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Vince Weaver
>> <vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu>wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:
>>>
>>>> I  am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having
>>>> linux
>>>> 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it
>>>> mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI
>>>> performance
>>>> counters?
>>>
>>> Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2?  If you are
>>> running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern,
>>> like PAPI 5.0.1.
>>>
>>> Vince
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Archana
>>
>
>




--
Regards,
Archana



--
Regards,
Archana
<div>
<div>Hi </div>
<div>I realized i am picking the wrong header file perf_events.h, the error went away when i picked the right one.</div>
<div>Thanks,</div>
<div>archana</div>
<div>
<br><br>&nbsp;</div>
<div class="gmail_quote">On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Archana <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:archanavagish <at> gmail.com" target="_blank">archanavagish <at> gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">Hi,<div>&nbsp;Thanks for the patch. it made the error go away.</div>
<div>The next error i am getting is the following:</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>perf_events.c: In function 'detect_rdpmc'</div>
<div>perf_events.c:738: error: 'struct perf_event_mmap_page' has no member named 'cap_usr_rdpmc'</div>

<div>Can you please help?</div>
<div>Thanks.</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>Regards</div>
<div>archana</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>
<div><div class="h5">
<br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM, William Cohen <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:wcohen <at> redhat.com" target="_blank">wcohen <at> redhat.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">
<div>On 11/09/2012 04:18 AM, Archana wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Now i am getting the following error-<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; gcc &nbsp;-Wno-override-init &nbsp;-g -Wall -Werror -Wextra<br>
&gt; -Wno-unused-parameter -I.<br>
&gt; -I/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/../include<br>
&gt; -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_DEBUG -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_OS_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -I.<br>
&gt; -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_X86 -DCONFIG_PFMLIB_ARCH_I386 -I. -c<br>
&gt; pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c<br>
&gt; In file included from pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.c:33:<br>
&gt; pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_priv.h:169: error: width of "res1" exceeds its type<br>
&gt; make[2]: *** [pfmlib_intel_snbep_unc_perf_event.o] Error 1<br>
&gt; make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib'<br>
&gt; make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2<br>
&gt; make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4'<br>
&gt; make: *** [/home/archana/PAPI/papi-5.0.1/src/libpfm4/lib/libpfm.a] Error 2<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Do i have to install something else before i install PAPI. I am<br>
&gt; specifying the following while doing ./configure as perf_events.h is<br>
&gt; in /usr/include/linux.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ./configure --with-pcl=yes --with-pcl-incdir=/usr/include/linux<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards<br>
&gt; archana<br><br>
</div>That sounds like a problem with the bundled libpfm. &nbsp;There is a patch in the papi git to address this problme for 32-bit machine:<br><br><a href="http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151" target="_blank">http://icl.cs.utk.edu/trac/papi/ticket/151</a><br><br>
You need something like the attached patch to fix this.<br><br>
-Will<br><div><div>
<br><br>
&gt; On 11/9/12, Archana &lt;<a href="mailto:archanavagish <at> gmail.com" target="_blank">archanavagish <at> gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi Vince<br>
&gt;&gt; &nbsp;No i am not particular about 3.7.2. I shall try PAPI 5.0.1<br>
&gt;&gt; Thanks for the quick response,<br>
&gt;&gt; archana<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Vince Weaver<br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu" target="_blank">vincent.weaver <at> maine.edu</a>&gt;wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Archana wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I &nbsp;am trying to build PAPI 3.7.2 on a Centos 6 distribution having<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; linux<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 2.6.32 kernel. While building, i am getting the following error. Is it<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; mandatory to have curses library installed to work with PAPI<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; performance<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; counters?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Is there any reason you are trying to build PAPI 3.7.2? &nbsp;If you are<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; running a 2.6.32 kernel you're much better off running something modern,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; like PAPI 5.0.1.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Vince<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; --<br>
&gt;&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt;&gt; Archana<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br><br>
</div></div>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br><br clear="all"><div><br></div>
</div></div>
<span class="HOEnZb">-- <br>Regards,<br>Archana<br></span>
</div>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br><br clear="all"><br>-- <br>Regards,<br>Archana<br>
</div>

Gmane