Joshua Stults | 5 May 19:54 2010
Picon

fatal error can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

I get the subject error after a recent package update.  I'm running
version 5.20 packaged for Fedora 12: maxima-5.20.1-3.fc12.i686 along
with sbcl-1.0.35-3.fc12.i686.

When I try:
[josh <at> host]$ maxima -q

I get:
fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 10287(tid 3084924608):
can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

Welcome to LDB, a low-level debugger for the Lisp runtime environment.
ldb>

I found this seemingly related message in the list archive,
  http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2008/009797.html
but didn't really see a solution in that thread.

What is causing this error?  What can I do to fix it?  Thanks.

--

-- 
Joshua Stults
Website: http://j-stults.blogspot.com
Robert Dodier | 5 May 21:00 2010
Picon

Re: fatal error can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Joshua Stults <joshua.stults <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> I get the subject error after a recent package update.  I'm running
> version 5.20 packaged for Fedora 12: maxima-5.20.1-3.fc12.i686 along
> with sbcl-1.0.35-3.fc12.i686.
>
> When I try:
> [josh <at> host]$ maxima -q
>
> I get:
> fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 10287(tid 3084924608):
> can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

Looks like the maxima package was compiled with a different
version of SBCL than what's installed. Some random ideas.

(1) try to find out what version was used to compile Maxima,
then install that instead of what you have now.

(2) download the source rpms and use the currently installed SBCL
to rebuild the rpms, then install those. It's pretty straightforward:
download the src.rpm and first run sudo rpm -i whatever.src.rpm which
will put the maxima.spec in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS. Then edit maxima.spec
to enable SBCL and disable Clisp (the default).
Then sudo rpmbuild -bb maxima.spec, then install the resulting rpms
as usual. There are many variations on this basic story. Also I'm writing
from memory so I hope I haven't messed it up too seriously.

Hope this helps,

(Continue reading)

Robert Dodier | 5 May 21:06 2010
Picon

Re: fatal error can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> (2) download the source rpms and use the currently installed SBCL
> to rebuild the rpms, then install those.

Forgot to mention that you can find the source rpm by rpm -qip whatever.rpm
which states among other things the source rpm from which
the binary whatever.rpm was built.
There is a source rpm on SF but I suspect that you are working from a
differently packaged set of rpms.

FWIW

Robert Dodier
Joshua Stults | 5 May 22:09 2010
Picon

Re: fatal error can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> (2) download the source rpms and use the currently installed SBCL
> to rebuild the rpms, then install those. It's pretty straightforward:
> download the src.rpm and first run sudo rpm -i whatever.src.rpm which
> will put the maxima.spec in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS. Then edit maxima.spec
> to enable SBCL and disable Clisp (the default).
> Then sudo rpmbuild -bb maxima.spec, then install the resulting rpms
> as usual. There are many variations on this basic story. Also I'm writing
> from memory so I hope I haven't messed it up too seriously.
>
> Hope this helps,
>

That did help, since it got me to find the clisp runtime that Fedora
packages as well; so the problem for me is fixed with:
  $ yum install maxima-runtime-clisp
  $ yum remove sbcl
which saves me from having to break with the distribution and do local builds.

I'm not sure if I chose the sbcl runtime when I installed maxima long
ago or if that's Fedora's default; also some more googling found the
bug report (reported today) for sbcl / maxima:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=589087

Is there any disadvantage to using the clisp runtime?  They also ship
a maxima-runtime-cmucl, would that be preferred over clisp?

--

-- 
Joshua Stults
(Continue reading)

Robert Dodier | 5 May 22:34 2010
Picon

Re: fatal error can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Joshua Stults <joshua.stults <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any disadvantage to using the clisp runtime?  They also ship
> a maxima-runtime-cmucl, would that be preferred over clisp?

Clisp is much slower than SBCL or CMUCL.
CMUCL is more stable than SBCL (in the sense that there are new
releases for SBCL much more often than for CMUCL).
So maybe you can avoid Lisp version problems by using CMUCL.

best

Robert Dodier
Rex Dieter | 7 May 14:19 2010

Re: fatal error can't load .core for different runtime, sorry

Joshua Stults wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
> 

> I'm not sure if I chose the sbcl runtime when I installed maxima long
> ago or if that's Fedora's default; also some more googling found the
> bug report (reported today) for sbcl / maxima:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=589087

That's the one, I'm looking at it today.  

I too thought the same as 'Looks like the maxima package was compiled with a 
different version of SBCL than what's installed.', but it seems to be more 
than just that.  It seems to need the *exact same* sbcl at runtime than what 
was used to build, even if it is the same version.

In short, I issued an sbcl update where the only change was to enable ppc 
support again.

-- Rex

Gmane