Uriel | 4 May 15:01 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Christian Neukirchen
<chneukirchen <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> this is the third public release of sabotage, a distribution based on
> musl and busybox.  Provided software is:

This is a mildly interesting project that might have some potential.

Please, replace gawk with a sane version of awk, like the one included
with 9base.

Also, adding Go should be easy as it completely bypasses libc and
links statically by default.

For a web browser I would recommend NetSurf, not to be confused with
surf (which is a shameful disgrace for the suckless project).

uriel

> 9base-6 autoconf-2.68 automake-1.11 binutils-2.21 bison-2.4.3
> busybox-1.18.4 curl-7.21.4 diffutils-3.0 e2fsprogs-1.41.14 expat-2.0.1
> file-5.05 flex-2.5.35 gawk-3.1.8 gcc-core-4.5.3 git-1.7.4 gmp-5.0.1
> grep-2.7 less-436 libarchive-2.8.4 linux-2.6.38.2 lynx2.8.7 m4-1.4.16
> make-3.82 mpc-0.9 mpfr-3.0.1 musl-2011-04-18 ncurses-5.9 openssh-5.8p1
> openssl-1.0.0d patch-2.6.1 perl-5.12.3 pkg-config-0.25 psmisc-22.13
> python-2.7.1 sed-4.2.1 syslinux-4.04 vim-7.3 xz-5.0.2 zlib-1.2.5
> There also is an experimental xorg set with:

Corey Thomasson | 4 May 16:06 2011

On May 4, 2011 9:01 AM, "Uriel" <uriel <at> berlinblue.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Christian Neukirchen
> <chneukirchen <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > this is the third public release of sabotage, a distribution based on
> > musl and busybox.  Provided software is:
> This is a mildly interesting project that might have some potential.
> Please, replace gawk with a sane version of awk, like the one included
> with 9base.
> Also, adding Go should be easy as it completely bypasses libc and
> links statically by default.

Not quite. A few commits ago the net package was changed to use libc in places and dynamically link unfortunately

> For a web browser I would recommend NetSurf, not to be confused with
> surf (which is a shameful disgrace for the suckless project).
> uriel
> > recordproto-1.14 renderproto-0.11.1 resourceproto-1.1.1
> > scrnsaverproto-1.2.1 st-0.1.1 twm-1.0.6 util-macros-1.13.0
> > videoproto-2.3.1 xauth-1.0.5 xcb-proto-1.6 xclock-1.0.5
> > xcmiscproto-1.2.1 xextproto-7.2.0 xineramaproto-1.2.1 xinit-1.3.0
> > xkbcomp-1.2.1 xkeyboard-config-1.4 xlogo-1.0.3 xorg-server-1.9.5
> > xproto-7.0.21 xterm-269 xtrans-1.2.6
> > Everything is statically linked.
> > As of this release, sabotage supports both i386 and x86_64.
> > You can bootstrap your own build from the scripts at
> >        https://github.com/chneukirchen/sabotage
> > or use a ready-to-boot disk image either for netinstall or with sets
> > included (put it on an USB stick, burning a CD will not work), to be
> > found at:
> >        http://xmw.de/mirror/sabotage/i386/sabotage-2011-04-30/
> >        http://xmw.de/mirror/sabotage/x86_64/sabotage-2011-04-30/
> > You also can netboot the install kernel directly (use pxelinux from
> > somewhere).
> > The default root password is "sabotage".
> > Enjoy,
> > --
> > 58c09ad48792240b3c07d11da62e99773ce205bf  i386/sabotage-2011-04-30/sabotage-i386-full-2011-04-30.img.gz
> > 24e2f96ffa8fac72a3ea5d38efe2579232be3be9  i386/sabotage-2011-04-30/sabotage-i386-netinstall-2011-04-30.img.gz
> > 8d6c675cf511f90f2539331a92772fb31628c712  x86_64/sabotage-2011-04-30/sabotage-x86_64-full-2011-04-30.img.gz
> > f042686295d20941929b308e0188577ec2d7a53e  x86_64/sabotage-2011-04-30/sabotage-x86_64-netinstall-2011-04-30.img.gz
> > Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen <at> gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

Uriel | 4 May 21:30 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Corey Thomasson <cthom.lists <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Not quite. A few commits ago the net package was changed to use libc in
> places and dynamically link unfortunately

Blame Apple that breaks any code that doesn't do networking via their
luserspace crap.

In any case, Go's own DNS resolver is still there, and for example on
ARM by default it still bypasses the libc for everything.

uriel

Pierre Chapuis | 6 May 13:49 2011

On Wed, 4 May 2011 21:30:28 +0200, Uriel wrote:

> In any case, Go's own DNS resolver is still there, and for example on
> ARM by default it still bypasses the libc for everything.

Not for long.

Pierre 'catwell' Chapuis

hiro | 6 May 15:59 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

dillo is better than netsurf even though it uses fltk.
For everything else on x86 you can use an old static opera (newer also
want qt iirc).

Netsurf is a pile of shit. Does nobody use slow CPUs and RAM < 128Mb any more???

hiro | 6 May 16:05 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

The very monolithic busybox doesn't seem to fit with the rest in my
view. Couldn't you possibly use stuff from 9base for this?

Jakub Lach | 6 May 16:46 2011

May 2011 15:59 hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

> For everything else on x86 you can use an old static opera  (newer also
> want qt iirc).

Nope. While quite big and and packed with features, new Opera can
use plain X, and does not force cups, gtk, qt, dbus, hal etc

hiro | 6 May 16:47 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

Because it's linked in or because it doesn't use it?

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach <at> mailplus.pl> wrote:
> May 2011 15:59 hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>> For everything else on x86 you can use an old static opera  (newer also
>> want qt iirc).
> Nope. While quite big and and packed with features, new Opera can
> use plain X, and does not force cups, gtk, qt, dbus, hal etc

Kurt H Maier | 6 May 16:50 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM, hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> Because it's linked in or because it doesn't use it?

Because most of it is compiled statically and the bits that are not
are shipped in the tarball and installed in-tree.

# Kurt H Maier

Ethan Grammatikidis | 12 May 16:15 2011

On 6 May 2011, at 3:50 pm, Kurt H Maier wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM, hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Because it's linked in or because it doesn't use it?
> Because most of it is compiled statically and the bits that are not
> are shipped in the tarball and installed in-tree.

A bit late but I thought it worth mentioning you don't even have to
install Opera 11, just untar it and run in situ. I wrote a little
script to cd to the highest-versioned dir matching ~/apps/opera-* and
run the included script. I much prefer that to a package manager
keeping track of where everything is.

On 6 May 2011, at 4:00 pm, pancake wrote:

> new opera have its own widget library. but its closed source. which
> sucks.

I don't know about anyone else here but I personally have a lot more
respect for a closed-source project rolling its own widget set than
for certain FOSS projects out there.

Bjartur Thorlacius | 13 May 22:35 2011

On 5/12/11, Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 <at> fastmail.fm> wrote:
> A bit late but I thought it worth mentioning you don't even have to
> install Opera 11, just untar it and run in situ. I wrote a little
> script to cd to the highest-versioned dir matching ~/apps/opera-* and
> run the included script. I much prefer that to a package manager
> keeping track of where everything is.
I dislike package managers almost as much as everyone else on this
list (while I believe them to be the best feature of mainstream Free
distros (aside from hackability)), but seriously, wouldn't it suck
less to use a single link and get rid of the script?

Ethan Grammatikidis | 15 May 20:56 2011

On 13 May 2011, at 9:35 pm, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:

> On 5/12/11, Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 <at> fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> A bit late but I thought it worth mentioning you don't even have to
>> install Opera 11, just untar it and run in situ. I wrote a little
>> script to cd to the highest-versioned dir matching ~/apps/opera-* and
>> run the included script. I much prefer that to a package manager
>> keeping track of where everything is.
> I dislike package managers almost as much as everyone else on this
> list (while I believe them to be the best feature of mainstream Free
> distros (aside from hackability)), but seriously, wouldn't it suck
> less to use a single link and get rid of the script?

The included script relies on the basename of $0, so I'd have to
rewrite it on every upgrade. This is what I have instead:

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/apps
dir=`ls -t opera* | sed 1q`
cd $dir
./opera

Suraj N. Kurapati | 15 May 21:37 2011

On Sun 15 May 2011 07:56:38 PM PDT, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> sed 1q

Nice sed trick!  I always wrote `sed -n 1p` to achieve that.

The clothes have no emperor.
		-- C.A.R. Hoare, commenting on ADA.

Benjamin R. Haskell | 15 May 22:29 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

> On 13 May 2011, at 9:35 pm, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
>> On 5/12/11, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>>> A bit late but I thought it worth mentioning you don't even have to
>>> install Opera 11, just untar it and run in situ. I wrote a little
>>> script to cd to the highest-versioned dir matching ~/apps/opera-*
>>> and run the included script. I much prefer that to a package manager
>>> keeping track of where everything is.
>>>
>> I dislike package managers almost as much as everyone else on this
>> list (while I believe them to be the best feature of mainstream Free
>> distros (aside from hackability)), but seriously, wouldn't it suck
>> less to use a single link and get rid of the script?
> The included script relies on the basename of $0, so I'd have to
> rewrite it on every upgrade. This is what I have instead:
> #!/bin/sh
> cd ~/apps
> dir=`ls -t opera* | sed 1q`
> cd $dir
> ./opera

When installing a new version of Opera, just link the latest one to
~/apps/opera.  Then you don't need the script, or it at least becomes
really simple.  I assume your basename of $0 comment means the script
cares where it lives, so you can't just link it in ~/bin/ (ln -s
~/apps/opera/opera ~/bin/)?

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/apps/opera
./opera

Best,
Ben

Bjartur Thorlacius | 16 May 22:32 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

Most simply you'd have a script for fetching and installing the latest
version, allowing you to link to whatever version works ATM (if the
newly insalled one is broken), rather than having to mess with the
script.

On 5/15/11, Benjamin R. Haskell <suckless <at> benizi.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2011, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>> On 13 May 2011, at 9:35 pm, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
>>> On 5/12/11, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>>>> A bit late but I thought it worth mentioning you don't even have to
>>>> install Opera 11, just untar it and run in situ. I wrote a little
>>>> script to cd to the highest-versioned dir matching ~/apps/opera-*
>>>> and run the included script. I much prefer that to a package manager
>>>> keeping track of where everything is.
>>>>
>>> I dislike package managers almost as much as everyone else on this
>>> list (while I believe them to be the best feature of mainstream Free
>>> distros (aside from hackability)), but seriously, wouldn't it suck
>>> less to use a single link and get rid of the script?
>> The included script relies on the basename of $0, so I'd have to
>> rewrite it on every upgrade. This is what I have instead:
>> #!/bin/sh
>> cd ~/apps
>> dir=`ls -t opera* | sed 1q`
>> cd $dir
>> ./opera
> When installing a new version of Opera, just link the latest one to
> ~/apps/opera.  Then you don't need the script, or it at least becomes
> really simple.  I assume your basename of $0 comment means the script
> cares where it lives, so you can't just link it in ~/bin/ (ln -s
> ~/apps/opera/opera ~/bin/)?
> #!/bin/sh
> cd ~/apps/opera
> ./opera
> --
> Best,
> Ben

pancake | 6 May 17:00 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

new opera have its own widget library. but its closed source. which sucks.

On 05/06/11 16:46, Jakub Lach wrote:
> May 2011 15:59 hiro<23hiro <at> googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> For everything else on x86 you can use an old static opera  (newer also
>> want qt iirc).
> Nope. While quite big and and packed with features, new Opera can
> use plain X, and does not force cups, gtk, qt, dbus, hal etc

hiro | 6 May 17:04 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

Of course it sucks, but everything sucks less than webkit.

About dillo again: last time I talked about fltk everyone here wanted
to kill me and I had to change my phone number. Is this just because
of C++ or are there other reasons I've overseen?

Kurt H Maier | 6 May 17:13 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM, hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> Of course it sucks, but everything sucks less than webkit.
> About dillo again: last time I talked about fltk everyone here wanted
> to kill me and I had to change my phone number. Is this just because
> of C++ or are there other reasons I've overseen?

Is that insufficient?  The van will arrive shortly to take you to be
re-educated.

# Kurt H Maier

hiro | 6 May 20:05 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

Someone without any knowledge of C or English will actually pick me up
with a small bus in a few hours. Must be coincidence I guess.

I'm asking because some of the core developers have been asking on
their mailing list what other fast and light toolkit to use. You know
I don't want to start a stupid war, but perhaps some of you should
tell them what you know?

Netsurf on my TV takes ages to load a *simple* page and opera - does
it run on MIPS?

Anselm R Garbe | 6 May 20:33 2011

On 6 May 2011 17:13, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM, hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Of course it sucks, but everything sucks less than webkit.
>> About dillo again: last time I talked about fltk everyone here wanted
>> to kill me and I had to change my phone number. Is this just because
>> of C++ or are there other reasons I've overseen?
> Is that insufficient?  The van will arrive shortly to take you to be
> re-educated.

Hahaha. Guys, I feel it as well, the summer is nearly there ;)

Anselm

pancake | 6 May 21:17 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

Is the distance to the sun affecting in some way the mind of "people" in this mailing list?

On 06/05/2011, at 20:33, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 May 2011 17:13, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM, hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Of course it sucks, but everything sucks less than webkit.
>>>
>>> About dillo again: last time I talked about fltk everyone here wanted
>>> to kill me and I had to change my phone number. Is this just because
>>> of C++ or are there other reasons I've overseen?
>> Is that insufficient?  The van will arrive shortly to take you to be
>> re-educated.
> Hahaha. Guys, I feel it as well, the summer is nearly there ;)
> Cheers,
> Anselm

hiro | 6 May 21:33 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

Spot on, it's because of the Retinol. Sun rays are coming through the
planks more frequently these days :)

ilf | 6 May 20:24 2011

On 05-06 17:04, hiro wrote:
> last time I talked about fltk everyone here wanted to kill me and I
> had to change my phone number.

WTF.

ilf

Über 80 Millionen Deutsche benutzen keine Konsole. Klick dich nicht weg!
		-- Eine Initiative des Bundesamtes für Tastaturbenutzung
Yoshi Rokuko | 9 May 20:14 2011

+---------------------------------------------------- hiro -----------+
> About dillo again: last time I talked about fltk everyone here wanted
> to kill me and I had to change my phone number. Is this just because
> of C++ or are there other reasons I've overseen?

i really like dillo because it is fast, but i would really like to
control it like surf ...

so i would propose to use neither fltk nor gtk for a dillo gui.

Uriel | 12 May 20:00 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Yoshi Rokuko <yoshi <at> rokuko.net> wrote:
> +---------------------------------------------------- hiro -----------+
>> About dillo again: last time I talked about fltk everyone here wanted
>> to kill me and I had to change my phone number. Is this just because
>> of C++ or are there other reasons I've overseen?
> i really like dillo because it is fast, but i would really like to
> control it like surf ...
> so i would propose to use neither fltk nor gtk for a dillo gui.

Dillo is not really designed to be ported to use other toolkits, it
took them forever and a very considerable rewrite to switch from GTK
to fltk.

Netsurf on the other hand already has quite a few different frontends
using various toolkits.

uriel

hiro | 13 May 00:26 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

> Dillo is not really designed to be ported to use other toolkits

Well, that's one more point for dillo then...

Uriel | 13 May 11:44 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM, hiro <23hiro <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Dillo is not really designed to be ported to use other toolkits
> Well, that's one more point for dillo then...

To be tied up to a C++ toolkit is not a plus.

uriel

Christian Neukirchen | 4 May 17:22 2011

Uriel <uriel <at> berlinblue.org> writes:

> Please, replace gawk with a sane version of awk, like the one included
> with 9base.

gcc4 needs an awk more powerful than busybox awk, thats why it's there.
I'm not sure it works with 9base awk, but it's easy to test.

> Also, adding Go should be easy as it completely bypasses libc and
> links statically by default.
> For a web browser I would recommend NetSurf, not to be confused with
> surf (which is a shameful disgrace for the suckless project).

NetSurf needs GTK+ on X, which pulls in a shitload of deps I've not yet
gotten around porting.

Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen <at> gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

pancake | 4 May 17:41 2011

Re: Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

On 05/04/11 17:22, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> Uriel<uriel <at> berlinblue.org>  writes:
>> Please, replace gawk with a sane version of awk, like the one included
>> with 9base.
> gcc4 needs an awk more powerful than busybox awk, thats why it's there.
> I'm not sure it works with 9base awk, but it's easy to test.
more than gcc.. i think it's about autoshit. but well..if you are not
distributing gcc in the base distro you dont need awk. you should split
the compilation environment to the deployment one with a toolchain
stage. then you can make different "tapes" to load the developer
environment (with gcc, ...), X11 one, ...
>> Also, adding Go should be easy as it completely bypasses libc and
>> links statically by default.
>> For a web browser I would recommend NetSurf, not to be confused with
>> surf (which is a shameful disgrace for the suckless project).
> NetSurf needs GTK+ on X, which pulls in a shitload of deps I've not yet
> gotten around porting.
if you ever mind to package gtk for sabotage.. i would prefer gtk3..but
i know that not all packages already support it.

--pancake

Christian Neukirchen | 4 May 18:07 2011

pancake <pancake <at> youterm.com> writes:

> more than gcc.. i think it's about autoshit. but well..if you are not
> distributing gcc in the base distro you dont need awk. you should
> split the compilation environment to the deployment one with a
> toolchain stage. then you can make different "tapes" to load the
> developer environment (with gcc, ...), X11 one, ...

The "comp" set is already separated from "base" and "xorg", too.

Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen <at> gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

Jakub Lach | 4 May 17:26 2011

Re: Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

4 May 2011 17:22 Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> NetSurf needs GTK+ on X, which pulls in a shitload of deps

Uriel | 4 May 21:35 2011

Re: Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Christian Neukirchen
<chneukirchen <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Uriel <uriel <at> berlinblue.org> writes:
>> Please, replace gawk with a sane version of awk, like the one included
>> with 9base.

The awk in 9base is a hacked up version of bwk's one-true-awk that
supports UTF-8.

> gcc4 needs an awk more powerful than busybox awk, thats why it's there.
> I'm not sure it works with 9base awk, but it's easy to test.
>> Also, adding Go should be easy as it completely bypasses libc and
>> links statically by default.
>> For a web browser I would recommend NetSurf, not to be confused with
>> surf (which is a shameful disgrace for the suckless project).
> NetSurf needs GTK+ on X, which pulls in a shitload of deps I've not yet
> gotten around porting.

As has been mentioned in this thread, there is a framebuffer version of netsurf,
and if somebody wrote a tk or libagar frontend to netsutf it would be
wonderful. GTK is an abomination.

uriel

Christian Neukirchen | 5 May 18:10 2011

Uriel <uriel <at> berlinblue.org> writes:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Christian Neukirchen
> <chneukirchen <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Uriel <uriel <at> berlinblue.org> writes:
>>> Please, replace gawk with a sane version of awk, like the one included
>>> with 9base.
> The awk in 9base is a hacked up version of bwk's one-true-awk that
> supports UTF-8.

That is nice, but it's not the one-awk-that-can-build-gcc.  I tried.

Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen <at> gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

Jens Staal | 7 May 07:11 2011

> For a web browser I would recommend NetSurf, not to be confused with
> surf (which is a shameful disgrace for the suckless project).

Not to re-ignite the (very) volatile feelings on this list lately, but
I just happened to stumble on a *nix port of abaco
(http://lab-fgb.com/abaco/). Considering the history of some other
Suckless projects (correct me if I am wrong), like wmii that evolved
from Rio, and which subsequently spawned dwm, perhaps a similar
evolution starting from abaco would be possible?

On the other hand - why discuss choice of a browser for an
experimental base system? As far as I see it, the browser is not part
of the base system and should be optional (as long as there is some
way, package manager or other solution) to to get it and to build it
from the base.

Ruben Mikkonen | 7 May 21:45 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

That would be cool in my opinion, since I'm attraced to the concep of Abaco (and Acme). The only reason I don't regularly use Abaco is that it renders pages so poorly that it's much saner to use e.g. Surf.
On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Jens Staal <staal1978 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> For a web browser I would recommend NetSurf, not to be confused with
> surf (which is a shameful disgrace for the suckless project).

Not to re-ignite the (very) volatile feelings on this list lately, but
I just happened to stumble on a *nix port of abaco
(http://lab-fgb.com/abaco/). Considering the history of some other
Suckless projects (correct me if I am wrong), like wmii that evolved
from Rio, and which subsequently spawned dwm, perhaps a similar
evolution starting from abaco would be possible?

On the other hand - why discuss choice of a browser for an
experimental base system? As far as I see it, the browser is not part
of the base system and should be optional (as long as there is some
way, package manager or other solution) to to get it and to build it
from the base.

hiro | 7 May 23:43 2011

Re: [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

I don't use acme and abaco a lot because I don't like window managers
inside window managers...
I sometimes dream about a real acmewm