Kreuvf | 28 Jul 17:10 2013
Picon

[Enigmail] Quote Wrapping Issues

Hi there,

since I upgraded my machine to Ubuntu 12.04 I experience weird wrapping of long
quote lines.

SOFTWARE & SETTINGS
Enigmail: 1.5.2
Thunderbird: 17.07

I use the following settings in Thunderbird:
mail.wrap_long_lines = true
mailnews.wraplength = 80

LONG DESCRIPTION
Pasting a long line of 77 characters as quote the resulting line length is 79
characters (+ '> ') and with the newline the line length is 80 characters.

Pasting a long line of more than 77 characters as quote the resulting line
length exceeds 80 characters. Quoted lines exceeding the wrap length are not
wrapped by Thunderbird, even with whitespace in the line.

When hitting the 'Send' button, Enigmail asks me for my passphrase. The quote
with a too long line has been changed by Enigmail to fit into the wrap length.
If there is whitespace, Enigmail will use the whitespace to break the line,
otherwise it will push all letters after the wrap length into a new line.

Example #1:
> abcdeABC abcdeABCD abcdeABCD abcdeABCD abcdeABCD abcdeABCD abcdeABCD abcdeABC

Contains exactly 79 characters + newline. It is not broken into several lines by
(Continue reading)

Patrick Brunschwig | 29 Jul 08:29 2013
Picon

Re: [Enigmail] Quote Wrapping Issues

On 28.07.13 17:10, Kreuvf wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> since I upgraded my machine to Ubuntu 12.04 I experience weird
> wrapping of long quote lines.
>
> SOFTWARE & SETTINGS Enigmail: 1.5.2 Thunderbird: 17.07
>
> I use the following settings in Thunderbird: mail.wrap_long_lines =
> true mailnews.wraplength = 80
>
> LONG DESCRIPTION Pasting a long line of 77 characters as quote the
> resulting line length is 79 characters (+ '> ') and with the
> newline the line length is 80 characters.

Enigmail will do line wrapping at mailnews.wraplength - 2. This is
because GnuPG will replace lines starting with a "-"  character to "-
-", thus two more characters might be needed after line wrapping was
done.

As Thunderbird will do an additional line wrapping after Enigmail has
created the signed message, the two additional characters would cause
line wrapping after the signature was created - which would destroy
the signature.

-Patrick

Kreuvf | 1 Aug 15:04 2013

07/29/2013 08:29 AM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> As Thunderbird will do an additional line wrapping after Enigmail has
> created the signed message, the two additional characters would cause line
> wrapping after the signature was created - which would destroy the
> signature.

So, everything I described, especially examples #3 to #5, actually is not a
bug, but a feature?

Regards
Kreuvf
Patrick Brunschwig | 1 Aug 15:26 2013

On 01.08.13 15:04, Kreuvf wrote:
> 07/29/2013 08:29 AM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>> As Thunderbird will do an additional line wrapping after Enigmail
>> has created the signed message, the two additional characters
>> would cause line wrapping after the signature was created - which
>> would destroy the signature.
>
> So, everything I described, especially examples #3 to #5, actually
> is not a bug, but a feature?

Not entirely. Thunderbird line wrapping (which is what Enigmail uses)
is not ideal. But it's better than no rewrapping ...

-Patrick
Kreuvf | 6 Aug 19:38 2013

08/01/2013 03:26 PM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> On 01.08.13 15:04, Kreuvf wrote:
>> 07/29/2013 08:29 AM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>>> As Thunderbird will do an additional line wrapping after Enigmail has
>>> created the signed message, the two additional characters would cause
>>> line wrapping after the signature was created - which would destroy the
>>> signature.
>
>> So, everything I described, especially examples #3 to #5, actually is not
>> a bug, but a feature?
>
> Not entirely. Thunderbird line wrapping (which is what Enigmail uses) is
> not ideal. But it's better than no rewrapping ...

Could you please be clearer about which behaviour should be considered a bug
of Enigmail, a bug of Thunderbird, or a feature?

Regards
Kreuvf
Patrick Brunschwig | 7 Aug 10:42 2013

On 06.08.13 19:38, Kreuvf wrote:
> 08/01/2013 03:26 PM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>
>>> So, everything I described, especially examples #3 to #5,
>>> actually is not a bug, but a feature?
>
>> Not entirely. Thunderbird line wrapping (which is what Enigmail
>> uses) is not ideal. But it's better than no rewrapping ...
>
> Could you please be clearer about which behaviour should be
> considered a bug of Enigmail, a bug of Thunderbird, or a feature?

I consider:
* the fact that TB does line rewrapping: a feature
* the fact that TB uses two different implementations of line wrapping
(one in the editor and a different one later during the send process):
not ideal
* the way how the TB mail editor does line wrapping (which is what
Enigmail uses): buggy
* what Enigmail does to avoid issues with too ling lines: a hack

-Patrick