David E. Ross | 18 Sep 20:00 2011

Web Shortcuts and the SeaMonkey Icon

My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
marked as our default browsers.

On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.

Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
for Web shortcuts?

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross
Jens Hatlak | 18 Sep 20:39 2011

David E. Ross wrote:
>On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser. (...)
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?

Try setting IE as default, then SM.

If that doesn't help, the only other way I know is getting your hands
dirty and correct the Windows registry. I cannot give you exact steps
there, though, since it's quite elaborate a task.

HTH

Jens

Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>
SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker <http://smtt.blogspot.com/>
David E. Ross | 19 Sep 00:47 2011

On 9/18/11 11:39 AM, Jens Hatlak wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser. (...)
>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>> for Web shortcuts?
> Try setting IE as default, then SM.

I've tried that.  It did not help.

> If that doesn't help, the only other way I know is getting your hands
> dirty and correct the Windows registry. I cannot give you exact steps
> there, though, since it's quite elaborate a task.

I've tweaked my own registry quite successfully.  Could you at least
indicate what keys are involved?

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross
Lee | 19 Sep 06:03 2011

On 9/18/11, David E. Ross <nobody@...> wrote:
> On 9/18/11 11:39 AM, Jens Hatlak wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>> On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser. (...)
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>>> for Web shortcuts?
>> Try setting IE as default, then SM.
> I've tried that.  It did not help.
>> If that doesn't help, the only other way I know is getting your hands
>> dirty and correct the Windows registry. I cannot give you exact steps
>> there, though, since it's quite elaborate a task.
> I've tweaked my own registry quite successfully.  Could you at least
> indicate what keys are involved?

[insert standard disclaimer about messing with the registry can lead
to a totally borked PC]

Depends - is the shortcut a .lnk or .url?  On my PC, HKCR\.url points
to HKCR\InternetShortcut which has a DefaultIcon key.  Save the
following as something like urlicon.reg and import with regedit:

---------- begin : cut here ----------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Paul B. Gallagher | 18 Sep 21:34 2011

David E. Ross wrote:

> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
> marked as our default browsers.
> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?

Can we assume it's just a bad icon thing, the links do open in SM?

War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
Paul B. Gallagher
David E. Ross | 19 Sep 00:17 2011

On 9/18/11 12:34 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>> marked as our default browsers.
>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>> for Web shortcuts?
> Can we assume it's just a bad icon thing, the links do open in SM?

Yes, you are correct.  It's just that I really do not like IE.  When
servicing my wife's PC (e.g., backups, software updates), it annoys me
to see the IE icon for Web shortcuts when I see the SeaMonkey icon for
the same shortcuts on my own PC.

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.

NoOp | 18 Sep 22:12 2011

On 09/18/2011 11:00 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
> marked as our default browsers.
> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?

Are you refering the Start menu? If so, right-click on Start, select
Properties, Customize, and then select 'SeaMonkey' on shortcuts.
Screenshot is here:
David E. Ross | 19 Sep 00:18 2011

On 9/18/11 1:12 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/18/2011 11:00 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>> marked as our default browsers.
>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>> for Web shortcuts?
> Are you refering the Start menu? If so, right-click on Start, select
> Properties, Customize, and then select 'SeaMonkey' on shortcuts.
> Screenshot is here:
> http://imageshack.us/f/101/screenshotyre.png/

No, I do not have this problem with the Start menu.  It's Web shortcuts
to specific Web pages.  Some of these are on the desktop, and some are
in various folders.

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

NoOp | 19 Sep 01:36 2011

On 09/18/2011 03:18 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 9/18/11 1:12 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 09/18/2011 11:00 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>>> marked as our default browsers.
>>>
>>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>>> for Web shortcuts?
>>>
>> Are you refering the Start menu? If so, right-click on Start, select
>> Properties, Customize, and then select 'SeaMonkey' on shortcuts.
>> Screenshot is here:
>> http://imageshack.us/f/101/screenshotyre.png/
> No, I do not have this problem with the Start menu.  It's Web shortcuts
> to specific Web pages.  Some of these are on the desktop, and some are
> in various folders.

Ah, sorry. Like one of these?
I dragged the google to the desktop. (Sorry, I don't use Windows much

David E. Ross | 21 Sep 02:13 2011

On 9/18/11 4:36 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/18/2011 03:18 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 9/18/11 1:12 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>> On 09/18/2011 11:00 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>>>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>>>> marked as our default browsers.
>>>>
>>>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>>>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>>>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>>>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>>>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>>>>
>>>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>>>> for Web shortcuts?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Are you refering the Start menu? If so, right-click on Start, select
>>> Properties, Customize, and then select 'SeaMonkey' on shortcuts.
>>> Screenshot is here:
>>> http://imageshack.us/f/101/screenshotyre.png/
>>>
>> No, I do not have this problem with the Start menu.  It's Web shortcuts
>> to specific Web pages.  Some of these are on the desktop, and some are
>> in various folders.
> Ah, sorry. Like one of these?
> http://imageshack.us/f/692/screenshot1jzy.png/

Lee | 18 Sep 22:46 2011

On 9/18/11, David E. Ross <nobody@...> wrote:
> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
> marked as our default browsers.
> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?

Switching back to the IE icon after 1-2 seconds sounds like she's got
a background process running that switches the icons back.  You might
be able to compare the services you have running vs. services active
on her PC to figure out what it is.

What are you doing to change the icons on your wife's PC?

Regards,
Lee
Gerald Ross | 18 Sep 23:32 2011

David E. Ross wrote:
> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
> marked as our default browsers.
> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?
Probably unrelated, but every time I install an update for IE all the
web shortcuts change to IE.  I simply change them and all is well.
Not sure why that happens either.

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Let X = 42
David E. Ross | 19 Sep 00:21 2011

On 9/18/11 2:32 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>> marked as our default browsers.
>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>> for Web shortcuts?
> Probably unrelated, but every time I install an update for IE all the
> web shortcuts change to IE.  I simply change them and all is well.
> Not sure why that happens either.

That does not happen on my own PC when I update IE.  On my wife's PC,
I've never been able to get the Web shortcuts to use anything other than
the IE icon.

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.

JohnW-Mpls | 18 Sep 23:40 2011

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:00:38 -0700, "David E. Ross" <nobody@...>
wrote:

>My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>marked as our default browsers.
>On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>for Web shortcuts?

Try changing her icon from the one in SeaMonkey.exe.  Browse to SeaMonkey,
Chrome, Icons, Default, and select one from there. Might work.

E:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\chrome\icons\default\main-window.ico

JohnW-Mpls
David E. Ross | 19 Sep 00:49 2011

On 9/18/11 2:40 PM, JohnW-Mpls wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:00:38 -0700, "David E. Ross" <nobody@...id>
> wrote:
>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>> marked as our default browsers.
>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>> for Web shortcuts?
> Try changing her icon from the one in SeaMonkey.exe.  Browse to SeaMonkey,
> Chrome, Icons, Default, and select one from there. Might work.
> E:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\chrome\icons\default\main-window.ico

I tried that.  It did not work.

I also extracted the icon from seamonkey.exe on my own PC, using
IconJack32, and transferred the ICO file to my wife's PC.  I then tried
pointing to that icon.  It still did not work.

Stanimir Stamenkov | 19 Sep 00:57 2011
X-Face

Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:00:38 -0700, /David E. Ross/:

> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
> marked as our default browsers.
> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?

I'm not sure whether it would help, but you may try the
"Repair/Rebuild Icons" function of the TweakUI power toy:

Stanimir
David E. Ross | 19 Sep 02:04 2011

On 9/18/11 3:57 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:00:38 -0700, /David E. Ross/:
>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>> marked as our default browsers.
>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>> for Web shortcuts?
> I'm not sure whether it would help, but you may try the
> "Repair/Rebuild Icons" function of the TweakUI power toy:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp?T1=featured

I tried that function from both TweakUI 98 and TweakUI XP (having
modified the former to work under Windows XP).  Neither of them helped.

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive

JD | 19 Sep 05:14 2011

David E. Ross wrote:
> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
> marked as our default browsers.
> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?

I have an Internet Explorer icon on my desktop. When I right mouse click
on it and select properties I get Internet Properties and when I click
on the Programs tab, there is a place at the very bottom of that window
to click on: Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the
default browser.

Be sure IE is closed and then click on the above and restart IE.

Nothing else has worked for you. I don't know why this would but you
never know. If it doesn't work, are you sure you just can't live with
the IE icons?  8-)

JD..
nr | 20 Sep 00:36 2011

Re: Web Shortcuts and the SeaMonkey Icon

If you can live without the IE icon, how about changing the name of the SeaMonkey icon to the one the current IE
icon has, after changing the IE icon's name?
NFN Smith | 20 Sep 17:28 2011

David E. Ross wrote:

> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.

I'm seeing the same kind of thing, although after seeing the responses
on this thread, I think I can add a little more to what the symptoms are.

In my particular case, what's happening is that .HTM or .HTML documents
are showing no icon at all.  If the filename is viewed in the Windows
Explorer, the type is still shown as "SeaMonkey Document".  If I
double-click on the file, it correctly opens in Seamonkey.

As with the OP, all the icons in the Start menu are correct, it's only
HTML documents that aren't showing the correct icon.  I generally don't
use web shortcuts, but my experience with how HTML files are shown in
the Windows Explorer imply that it's the same issue.

My assumption is that there's something that's not quite right with
associations in the Windows registry, that the pointer to the icon isn't
pointing to the correct icon.  My suspicion is that this is something
that would resolve, if I uninstall and reinstall Seamonkey, although
since I'm seeing this one on a secondary machine, this is an
annoyance-level thing, and I haven't bothered to try that.

Smith

David E. Ross | 21 Sep 02:32 2011

Re: Web Shortcuts and the SeaMonkey Icon SOLVED!!

On 9/18/11 11:00 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
> marked as our default browsers.
> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
> for Web shortcuts?

I was trying to set the icon for Internet Shortcut entry without an
extension.  This appears near the beginning of the list of "Registered
file types" on the File Types tab of the Folder Options window.

Instead, I had to work on the Internet Shortcut entry with the .url
extension, near the bottom of the list of "Registered file types".
First, I deleted the entry.  I then created a new entry with the same
settings as the old entry but with the SeaMonkey icon.  IT WORKS!!

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.

JD | 21 Sep 06:16 2011

Re: Web Shortcuts and the SeaMonkey Icon SOLVED!!

David E. Ross wrote:
> On 9/18/11 11:00 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> My wife an I both use Windows XP SP3.  We both have SeaMonkey 2.3.3
>> marked as our default browsers.
>> On my PC, Web shortcuts on my desktop and in folders have the blue
>> SeaMonkey icon.  On my wife's PC, the same shortcuts have the IE icon.
>> We both have SeaMonkey as our default browser.  I have repeatedly tried
>> to set the SeaMonkey icon for the shortcuts on my wife's PC, but that
>> does not stick more than 1-2 seconds.
>> Can anyone suggest how to make the SeaMonkey icon stick on my wife's PC
>> for Web shortcuts?
> I was trying to set the icon for Internet Shortcut entry without an
> extension.  This appears near the beginning of the list of "Registered
> file types" on the File Types tab of the Folder Options window.
> Instead, I had to work on the Internet Shortcut entry with the .url
> extension, near the bottom of the list of "Registered file types".
> First, I deleted the entry.  I then created a new entry with the same
> settings as the old entry but with the SeaMonkey icon.  IT WORKS!!

Good to see you got it to your liking!

JD..