Nikita Popov | 19 Apr 01:09 2012

[PHP-DEV] [VOTE] Allow non-variable arguments to empty()

Hey internals :)

As there doesn't seem to be any further discussion regarding my RFC,
I've opened the vote:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote

Nikita

Kris Craig | 19 Apr 01:57 2012
Picon

Re: [PHP-DEV] [VOTE] Allow non-variable arguments to empty()

Ugh I hate to throw a POO into this, but....

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv <at> googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hey internals :)
>
> As there doesn't seem to be any further discussion regarding my RFC,
> I've opened the vote:
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote
>
> Nikita

"There'd be a minimum of 2 weeks between when an RFC that touches the
language is brought up on this list and when it's voted on is required.
Other RFCs might use a smaller timeframe, but it should be at least a week."

(from http://wiki.php.net/rfc/voting)

From what I can tell, you first created the topic on this 6 days ago.  Even
if this didn't touch the language (which I think it does), voting would not
be permissible yet.

For the record, I do plan to vote yes on this and I think the voting rules
should be amended to allow for sooner voting if discussion has ended.  But
(Continue reading)

Nikita Popov | 19 Apr 15:11 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Kris Craig <kris.craig <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Ugh I hate to throw a POO into this, but....
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv <at> googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey internals :)
>>
>> As there doesn't seem to be any further discussion regarding my RFC,
>> I've opened the vote:
>>
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote
>>
>> Nikita
>>
>> --
>>

> "There'd be a minimum of 2 weeks between when an RFC that touches the
> language is brought up on this list and when it's voted on is required.
> Other RFCs might use a smaller timeframe, but it should be at least a week."
>
> (from http://wiki.php.net/rfc/voting)
>
> From what I can tell, you first created the topic on this 6 days ago.  Even
> if this didn't touch the language (which I think it does), voting would not
> be permissible yet.

(Continue reading)

Pierre Joye | 19 Apr 15:36 2012
Picon

Re: [PHP-DEV] [VOTE] Allow non-variable arguments to empty()

hi,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've asked about this on IRC and it seems like there is no problem
> opening the vote now. Quoting:
>
> "The purpose of the waiting period is to allow time for discussion
> instead of rushing things before someone can find a problem. The
> discussion having died and this being a simple change, I don't see the
> problem with opening the vote now. Only a strict formalist like Kris
> would interpret rules while ignoring their purpose."

Whoever answered that is wrong in many ways, let alone the pointless
presonal comments, which has nothing to do on this list.

The point of the two weeks delay is to give anyone a chance to get in
the discussions. Many of us are not always full time monitoring the
mailing lists for all possible topics. Two weeks were and are still
seen as a reasonable timeframe to consider a discussion as over.

Please respect it, and it is not about being too restrictive or process fanatic.

Pierre

 <at> pierrejoye | http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org

Nikita Popov | 28 Apr 23:05 2012

Re: [PHP-DEV] [VOTE] Allow non-variable arguments to empty()

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Kris Craig <kris.craig <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> "There'd be a minimum of 2 weeks between when an RFC that touches the
> language is brought up on this list and when it's voted on is required.
> Other RFCs might use a smaller timeframe, but it should be at least a week."

Now already more than two weeks passed since the RFC announcement, so
lets say that the vote starts *now*.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote

Nikita

PS: As there was no discussion between my initial vote announcement
and this one, I didn't see a reason to reset the vote.

Kris Craig | 28 Apr 23:10 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv <at> googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Kris Craig <kris.craig <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > "There'd be a minimum of 2 weeks between when an RFC that touches the
> > language is brought up on this list and when it's voted on is required.
> > Other RFCs might use a smaller timeframe, but it should be at least a
> week."
>
> Now already more than two weeks passed since the RFC announcement, so
> lets say that the vote starts *now*.
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote
>
> Nikita
>
> PS: As there was no discussion between my initial vote announcement
> and this one, I didn't see a reason to reset the vote.

Ok, I think that's good enough this time.  In the future, please respect
the process and wait the full two weeks so that everyone has a chance to
review your proposal.  So long as we keep that in mind moving forward, I
withdraw my objection.  =)

--Kris
Laruence | 29 Apr 06:00 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Kris Craig <kris.craig <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> "There'd be a minimum of 2 weeks between when an RFC that touches the
>> language is brought up on this list and when it's voted on is required.
>> Other RFCs might use a smaller timeframe, but it should be at least a week."
>
> Now already more than two weeks passed since the RFC announcement, so
> lets say that the vote starts *now*.
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote

vote for 5.4 or vote for trunk?

thanks

> Nikita
>
> PS: As there was no discussion between my initial vote announcement
> and this one, I didn't see a reason to reset the vote.

Laruence  Xinchen Hui
http://www.laruence.com/

Nikita Popov | 29 Apr 11:42 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Laruence <laruence <at> php.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Kris Craig <kris.craig <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "There'd be a minimum of 2 weeks between when an RFC that touches the
>>> language is brought up on this list and when it's voted on is required.
>>> Other RFCs might use a smaller timeframe, but it should be at least a week."
>>
>> Now already more than two weeks passed since the RFC announcement, so
>> lets say that the vote starts *now*.
>>
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote
>
> vote for 5.4 or vote for trunk?
>
> thanks
For trunk :) I don't think one can do language additions to 5.4.

Nikita

Laruence | 29 Apr 12:19 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Laruence <laruence <at> php.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now already more than two weeks passed since the RFC announcement, so
>>> lets say that the vote starts *now*.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/empty_isset_exprs#vote
>>
>> vote for 5.4 or vote for trunk?
>>
>> thanks
> For trunk :) I don't think one can do language additions to 5.4.
okey, then it will be "yes" :)

--
Laruence  Xinchen Hui
http://www.laruence.com/