Sanford Whiteman | 15 May 07:00 2012

[PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

Hi All,

Trying to ready myself for some possible work w/the core (after I
resurrect all my never-that-great C, heh), I went looking for a recent
book. (I still like old-school supplements.)

I see Sara's from 2006 on Amazon, but nothing after that under 'PHP
internals'. I'm sure that one's not totally obsolete, but I don't know
if programming styles and patterns have changed even if the bulk of
the code has not. At the risk of fanning some flames I don't know
about... is there a more recent book that's generally liked?

Thanks,

S.

--

-- 
PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Lars Strojny | 17 May 03:05 2012
Picon

Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

Hi Sanford,

Sara’s book is still the best we have, nevertheless it shows its age. In Theo Schlossnagles "Scalable
Internet Architectures" also has a chapter on PHP internals. The rest is more or less reading existing
code and playing around. Looks like somebody on Internals should land a book deal :)

With regards,
Lars

Am 15.05.2012 um 07:00 schrieb Sanford Whiteman:

> Hi All,
> 
> Trying to ready myself for some possible work w/the core (after I
> resurrect all my never-that-great C, heh), I went looking for a recent
> book. (I still like old-school supplements.)
> 
> I see Sara's from 2006 on Amazon, but nothing after that under 'PHP
> internals'. I'm sure that one's not totally obsolete, but I don't know
> if programming styles and patterns have changed even if the bulk of
> the code has not. At the risk of fanning some flames I don't know
> about... is there a more recent book that's generally liked?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> S.
> 
> 
> -- 
> PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
(Continue reading)

Sanford Whiteman | 17 May 06:24 2012

Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

> Sara’s book is still the best we have, nevertheless it shows its
> age. In Theo Schlossnagles "Scalable Internet Architectures" also
> has a chapter on PHP internals. The rest is more or less reading
> existing code and playing around. Looks like somebody on Internals should land a book deal :)

Thanks, Lars. I first learned about zvals from a chapter in George
Schlossnagle's Advanced PHP Programming, so it seems like there are
deeper dives here and there. I don't know about the book deal if I'm
the only to ask about it in so long, though. :)

-- S.

--

-- 
PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Lars Strojny | 17 May 16:14 2012
Picon

Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

Yep, that might be exactly the problem. The audience for such a book might be less than 100.

Am 17.05.2012 um 06:24 schrieb Sanford Whiteman:

>> Sara’s book is still the best we have, nevertheless it shows its
>> age. In Theo Schlossnagles "Scalable Internet Architectures" also
>> has a chapter on PHP internals. The rest is more or less reading
>> existing code and playing around. Looks like somebody on Internals should land a book deal :)
> 
> Thanks, Lars. I first learned about zvals from a chapter in George
> Schlossnagle's Advanced PHP Programming, so it seems like there are
> deeper dives here and there. I don't know about the book deal if I'm
> the only to ask about it in so long, though. :)
> 
> -- S.
> 
> 
> --
> PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
> 

--

-- 
PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Adi Mutu | 10 Jun 19:37 2012
Picon

Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

:)
That's too bad....I've read Sara's book, but i'd also buy a new book on this topic.

________________________________
 From: Lars Strojny <lars <at> strojny.net>
To: Sanford Whiteman <swhitemanlistens-software <at> cypressintegrated.com> 
Cc: internals <at> lists.php.net 
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

Yep, that might be exactly the problem. The audience for such a book might be less than 100.

Am 17.05.2012 um 06:24 schrieb Sanford Whiteman:

>> Sara’s book is still the best we have, nevertheless it shows its
>> age. In Theo Schlossnagles "Scalable Internet Architectures" also
>> has a chapter on PHP internals. The rest is more or less reading
>> existing code and playing around. Looks like somebody on Internals should land a book deal :)
> 
> Thanks, Lars. I first learned about zvals from a chapter in George
> Schlossnagle's Advanced PHP Programming, so it seems like there are
> deeper dives here and there. I don't know about the book deal if I'm
> the only to ask about it in so long, though. :)
> 
> -- S.
> 
> 
> --
> PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
(Continue reading)

Johannes Schlüter | 17 May 15:35 2012
Picon

Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 03:05 +0200, Lars Strojny wrote:
> Looks like somebody on Internals should land a book deal :)

You don't earn money on books, and if you don't earn money anyways you
can do what is more beneficial for the world: go to edit.php.net and
work on php.net/internals2 ;-)

johannes

--

-- 
PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Nikita Popov | 17 May 13:40 2012

Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Sanford Whiteman
<swhitemanlistens-software <at> cypressintegrated.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Trying to ready myself for some possible work w/the core (after I
> resurrect all my never-that-great C, heh), I went looking for a recent
> book. (I still like old-school supplements.)
>
> I see Sara's from 2006 on Amazon, but nothing after that under 'PHP
> internals'. I'm sure that one's not totally obsolete, but I don't know
> if programming styles and patterns have changed even if the bulk of
> the code has not. At the risk of fanning some flames I don't know
> about... is there a more recent book that's generally liked?

You can find a list of various resources regarding PHP internals on
the Wiki: https://wiki.php.net/internals/references

So, no, there does not seem to be a newer book, but maybe the other
stuff can help too :)

Nikita

--

-- 
PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Pierre Joye | 17 May 15:58 2012
Picon

Re: [PHP-DEV] Internals books (c) 2007+ ?

hi,

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Sanford Whiteman
<swhitemanlistens-software <at> cypressintegrated.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Trying to ready myself for some possible work w/the core (after I
> resurrect all my never-that-great C, heh), I went looking for a recent
> book. (I still like old-school supplements.)
>
> I see Sara's from 2006 on Amazon, but nothing after that under 'PHP
> internals'. I'm sure that one's not totally obsolete, but I don't know
> if programming styles and patterns have changed even if the bulk of
> the code has not. At the risk of fanning some flames I don't know
> about... is there a more recent book that's generally liked?

And one book one must read and understand is "The C programming
language",by K&R. A must read. Writing php extensions is then only
about reading existing source codes (php-src/ext or pecl) or Sarah's
book for the basics.

Cheers,
-- 
Pierre

 <at> pierrejoye | http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org

--

-- 
PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
(Continue reading)


Gmane