bakytn | 20 Feb 05:56 2012
Picon

Ability to use one connection per printer

Hi!

Can I install printer once and use the same type/model printers through that installation?

It is all about local printers (USB attached)

The problem is that I am having to modify each time I install the same printer (for example HP1022). I am
modifying to by just changing the connection while having the same driver, settings etc.

I could use classes but I need to install them anyways.

I tried to omit "serial" parameter in DeviceURI and was not successful.

Please help....this is so important to me.
Michael Sweet | 20 Feb 16:38 2012
Picon

Re: Ability to use one connection per printer

This is not supported directly by CUPS, but third-party add-ons may be able to provide this functionality.

On Feb 19, 2012, at 11:56 PM, bakytn wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can I install printer once and use the same type/model printers through that installation?
>
> It is all about local printers (USB attached)
>
> The problem is that I am having to modify each time I install the same printer (for example HP1022). I am
modifying to by just changing the connection while having the same driver, settings etc.

> I could use classes but I need to install them anyways.
>
> I tried to omit "serial" parameter in DeviceURI and was not successful.
>
> Please help....this is so important to me.

Johannes Meixner | 21 Feb 10:50 2012
Picon

Re: Ability to use one connection per printer

Hello,

On Feb 19 20:56 bakytn wrote (excerpt):
> It is all about local printers (USB attached)
> I tried to omit "serial" parameter in DeviceURI and was not successful.

Perhaps the "careless backend for a single USB printer" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS
helps here.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner