Ken Sharp | 31 Jul 10:36 2010

Re: Create PDF X/1-a file using ghostscript.

At 16:12 30/07/2010 -0400, John Culleton wrote:

>Is there a way to create a pdf file from e.g. a .ps file that both meets
>the PDF X/1-a standard and says so inside the document?

We don't especially support the production of PDF/X1 (or PDF/X2) files, so
there is no quick way to do this.

However you could probably do it yourself; start by setting the PDFX switch
and then customise the 'defs' file. Normally for a PDF/X-3 file you would
use the file PDFX_def.ps, if you changed the line:

[ /GTS_PDFXVersion (PDF/X-3:2002) % Must be so (the standard requires).

[ /GTS_PDFXVersion (PDF/X-1:2001) % Must be so (the standard requires).

The file will be identified as a PDF/X1 file. You might also have to add a
line like:

/GTS_PDFXConformance (PDF/X-1a:2001)

to make it specifically X1-a conformant.

Other than that its just a matter of setting the various pdfwrite controls
so that the PDF file is produced in a manner conforming to the PDF/X1-a
specification. I don't happen to have a copy of the spec, but the from the
application note it looks like it should be possible.