Robert Bradshaw | 2 Nov 01:44 2008

Re: [Cython] Cython 0.9.8.2 beta

Thanks for your reports.

On Nov 1, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Jim Kleckner wrote:
> I gave it a try with Python 2.6 on Windows.
>
> 8 regression tests fail on Python 2.6 release using Visual Studio
> 9.0 on
> Windows XP.
>
> This was run using the changeset 1291:16fc9454a2e5
>
> The output is stored here:
>   http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/ticket/106

I don't have access to a windows build platform, but it seems that
these errors are for "fake" extern definitions to test that correct
code is generated. I wonder why windows complains but other platforms
don't... Not sure the best way to proceed here, any Windows experts
out there? Do we have to make a .h file that actually defines all the
filler stuff?

> On Nov 1, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Jim Kleckner wrote:
>
> This simple case causes the parser to fail:
>
> cdef int doublePointer(double* inOutArray):
>      return 1

This is bad, surprised we haven't run into it before. This should
certainly be fixed before release.
(Continue reading)

Jim Kleckner | 4 Nov 17:10 2008
Picon

Re: [Cython] Cython 0.9.8.2 beta

Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> Thanks for your reports.
>> On Nov 1, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Jim Kleckner wrote:
>>
>> This simple case causes the parser to fail:
>>
>> cdef int doublePointer(double* inOutArray):
>>      return 1
>
> This is bad, surprised we haven't run into it before. This should
> certainly be fixed before release.

In reducing the example, I guess I reduced it too far.
I coulda sworn I ran that specific file!

Try this, which is bad code but shouldn't cause an exception.
And has nothing to do with platforms.

cdef int foo((double*)inOutArray,):
    cdef int i
    i = <int> inOutArray
    return i

Separately, gmane seems to be broken and isn't getting the list feed.
I've reported the problem to gmane.discuss.  I hope this gets through...

Greg Ewing | 5 Nov 01:55 2008

Re: [Cython] Cython 0.9.8.2 beta

Jim Kleckner wrote:

> cdef int foo((double*)inOutArray,):

By the way, the fact that Pyrex accepts this form of
parameter declaration is probably an accident -- you
can't write that in C, and I wouldn't blame Cython
if it refused to support it either.

Greg
Robert Bradshaw | 5 Nov 03:46 2008

Re: [Cython] Cython 0.9.8.2 beta

On Nov 4, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:

> Jim Kleckner wrote:
>
>> cdef int foo((double*)inOutArray,):
>
> By the way, the fact that Pyrex accepts this form of
> parameter declaration is probably an accident -- you
> can't write that in C, and I wouldn't blame Cython
> if it refused to support it either.

Unfortunately, it made the compiler crash, which is worse than
flagging a syntax error. I've fixed it now.

- Robert

Robert Bradshaw | 7 Nov 02:07 2008

[Cython] Cython 0.10 release candidate

Given the number of new features, I'm thinking it's time to bump a
more major version number. (Probably should have done so last
version, but got to start sometime.)

Try the package up at http://cython.org/Cython-0.10.rc.tar.gz .
Unless there are major issues, let's release.

- Robert

Stefan Behnel | 7 Nov 19:58 2008
Picon

Re: [Cython] Cython 0.10 release candidate

Hi,

Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> Given the number of new features, I'm thinking it's time to bump a
> more major version number. (Probably should have done so last
> version, but got to start sometime.)
>
> Try the package up at http://cython.org/Cython-0.10.rc.tar.gz .

Good call. I think it makes sense to go away from the 0.9-so-close-to-1.0
scheme. I was always thinking of Linux 1.0 the closer we got...

It's fine with me if 1.0 follows 0.12 or whatever.

> Unless there are major issues, let's release.

Yay, go Cython 0.X! :)

Stefan

Gmane