Stefan Scriba | 1 Dec 16:34 2009
Picon

Oracle instant client

Hi

I apologise if the following question has been asked a million times, but I have not found an obvious answer to date:

I am trying to use cx_Oracle for Python2.6.4 with Oracle 11 in Windows XP. I was hoping that I may be able to just use the Oracle instant client (instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0), which basically just seems to consist of a bunch of DLL files. I copied these into a subdirectory of the Python2.6 main folder. I then updated the windows path to include this subfolder and rebooted. The path is definitely now pointing correctly, but when I import the cx_Oracle library it still complains that it cannot find the correct DLL files.

So: Do I need the full Oracle client installed on each client PC running the Python code or does the MUCH smaller instant client suffice?

Regards
Stefan

Fawcett, David (MPCA | 1 Dec 16:46 2009

Re: Oracle instant client

Stefan,

I am using cx_Oracle on XP with Python 2.5 and Oracle’s instantclient.

I am guessing that you either didn’t install them correctly, or you need to add the instantclient folder to your path environment variable.

David.

I apologise if the following question has been asked a million times, but I have not found an obvious answer to date:

I am trying to use cx_Oracle for Python2.6.4 with Oracle 11 in Windows XP. I was hoping that I may be able to just use the Oracle instant client (instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0), which basically just seems to consist of a bunch of DLL files. I copied these into a subdirectory of the Python2.6 main folder. I then updated the windows path to include this subfolder and rebooted. The path is definitely now pointing correctly, but when I import the cx_Oracle library it still complains that it cannot find the correct DLL files.

So: Do I need the full Oracle client installed on each client PC running the Python code or does the MUCH smaller instant client suffice?

Regards
Stefan

Jim St.Cyr | 1 Dec 18:28 2009
Picon

Re: Oracle instant client

Stefan-

You need to add the directory to your path and set TNS_ADMIN to the same path.

Jim

Fawcett, David (MPCA) wrote:
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ <at> font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} <at> font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-reply; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; color:#1F497D;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only;} <at> page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Join us December 9, 2009 for the Red Hat Virtual Experience, a free event focused on virtualization and cloud computing. Attend in-depth sessions from your desk. Your couch. Anywhere. http://p.sf.net/sfu/redhat-sfdev2dev _______________________________________________ cx-oracle-users mailing list cx-oracle-users-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f@public.gmane.org https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/cx-oracle-users

Anthony Tuininga | 1 Dec 18:32 2009
Picon

Re: Oracle instant client

Hi,

You can definitely use the instant client with cx_Oracle and it is
fairly straightforward to do so.

Modify your PATH environment variable to include the path in which the
files were extracted. This is by default something like
C:\Oracle\InstantClient11_1.

Set TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point to the location of
sqlnet.or and tnsnames.ora or you can use "easy naming" and avoid any
of that stuff.

My suggestion is to extract the SQL*Plus zip file as well and use that
to test your connection strings. If you can connect with SQL*Plus you
should be able to connect with the same connection string using
cx_Oracle.

Hope that helps.

Anthony

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Stefan Scriba <scribas@...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I apologise if the following question has been asked a million times, but I
> have not found an obvious answer to date:
>
> I am trying to use cx_Oracle for Python2.6.4 with Oracle 11 in Windows XP. I
> was hoping that I may be able to just use the Oracle instant client
> (instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0), which basically just seems to
> consist of a bunch of DLL files. I copied these into a subdirectory of the
> Python2.6 main folder. I then updated the windows path to include this
> subfolder and rebooted. The path is definitely now pointing correctly, but
> when I import the cx_Oracle library it still complains that it cannot find
> the correct DLL files.
>
> So: Do I need the full Oracle client installed on each client PC running the
> Python code or does the MUCH smaller instant client suffice?
>
> Regards
> Stefan

http://p.sf.net/sfu/redhat-sfdev2dev
Jani Tiainen | 1 Dec 18:56 2009
Picon

Re: Oracle instant client

There used to be instant client version..? At least I've used
cx_Oracle with instantclient while ago.

Have you tried to set ORACLE_HOME environment variable? It seems to
resolve usually many problems.

On 12/1/09, Stefan Scriba <scribas@...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I apologise if the following question has been asked a million times, but I
> have not found an obvious answer to date:
>
> I am trying to use cx_Oracle for Python2.6.4 with Oracle 11 in Windows XP. I
> was hoping that I may be able to just use the Oracle instant client
> (instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0), which basically just seems to
> consist of a bunch of DLL files. I copied these into a subdirectory of the
> Python2.6 main folder. I then updated the windows path to include this
> subfolder and rebooted. The path is definitely now pointing correctly, but
> when I import the cx_Oracle library it still complains that it cannot find
> the correct DLL files.
>
> So: Do I need the full Oracle client installed on each client PC running the
> Python code or does the MUCH smaller instant client suffice?
>
> Regards
> Stefan

http://p.sf.net/sfu/redhat-sfdev2dev
Stefan Scriba | 1 Dec 21:27 2009
Picon

Re: Oracle instant client

Hi

To David, Jim and Anthony - wooohooo, it's working! No more DLL complaints. Thanks for the help!

So, the problem was definitely me not setting the TNS_ADMIN variable to the correct directory. In which documentation would I have found the TNS_ADMIN mentioned, had I not short-circuited the problem and asked this mailing list?

Yet another brilliant example of how the open source community kicks ass.

Stefan

From: Anthony Tuininga <anthony.tuininga-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Hi,
You can definitely use the instant client with cx_Oracle and it is
fairly straightforward to do so.
Modify your PATH environment variable to include the path in which the
files were extracted. This is by default something like
C:\Oracle\InstantClient11_1.
Set TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point to the location of
sqlnet.or and tnsnames.ora or you can use "easy naming" and avoid any
of that stuff.
My suggestion is to extract the SQL*Plus zip file as well and use that
to test your connection strings. If you can connect with SQL*Plus you
should be able to connect with the same connection string using
cx_Oracle.
Hope that helps.
Anthony

Anthony Tuininga | 1 Dec 22:52 2009
Picon

Re: Oracle instant client

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Stefan Scriba <scribas@...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> To David, Jim and Anthony - wooohooo, it's working! No more DLL complaints.
> Thanks for the help!

You're welcome.

> So, the problem was definitely me not setting the TNS_ADMIN variable to the
> correct directory. In which documentation would I have found the TNS_ADMIN
> mentioned, had I not short-circuited the problem and asked this mailing
> list?

You would have to search the Oracle documentation or ask on an Oracle
mailing list since this is "basic" stuff for Oracle and not specific
to Python. I put "basic" in quotes because its necessary to even get
things up and running but its not even remotely obvious. There is a
FAQ entry for it here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/ic-faq.html#A4428

> Yet another brilliant example of how the open source community kicks ass.

:-)

Anthony

http://p.sf.net/sfu/redhat-sfdev2dev

Gmane