Ash Courchene | 17 Feb 22:46 2013
Picon

Tkinter, IDLE keeps crashing

Hey,

So I've actually had this problem for awhile, and I cant seem to get anything to work. I've followed all the
steps & procedures that my google searches have provide me, but I can't seem to get the Tkinter module or the
Python IDLE IDE to work.

For instance, if I click IDLE on my mac, it'll open up for a quick sec & produce an error.
Or if I go into the Python interpreter, I import Tkinter, call Tk()
Then it says: CGColor 1 components Abort Trap: 6, then get an error. I'll post this crash report below.

My system is a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
I'm running 2.7.3 Python
I've installed the recommended version of ActiveState TCL/TK

I still have problems. Does anyone have this problem, or know how to fix it?

Process:         Python [32420]
Identifier:      org.python.python
Version:         2.7.3 (2.7.3)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  bash [32392]

Date/Time:       2013-02-17 16:37:48.197 -0500
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version:  9

Interval Since Last Report:          259971 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           14
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  3 sec
(Continue reading)

Ned Deily | 17 Feb 23:02 2013
Picon

Re: Tkinter, IDLE keeps crashing

In article <9d367487-4846-4caa-85e7-08ac570b4a6c <at> googlegroups.com>,
 Ash Courchene <ash.courchene <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've actually had this problem for awhile, and I cant seem to get anything
> to work. I've followed all the steps & procedures that my google searches
> have provide me, but I can't seem to get the Tkinter module or the Python
> IDLE IDE to work.
>
> For instance, if I click IDLE on my mac, it'll open up for a quick sec &
> produce an error.
> Or if I go into the Python interpreter, I import Tkinter, call Tk()
> Then it says: CGColor 1 components Abort Trap: 6, then get an error. I'll
> post this crash report below.
>
> My system is a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
> I'm running 2.7.3 Python
> I've installed the recommended version of ActiveState TCL/TK

Most likely you have a non-default preference set (color or font) that
is causing the problem.  IDLE and especially Tk on OS X has been known
to be vulnerable to this.  To try working around it, open a terminal
session and rename the IDLE settings directory:

cd $HOME
mv .idlerc idlerc-disabled

Then try relaunching IDLE.  If that solves it, it would be nice if you
could open an issue on the Python bug tracker (http://bugs.python.org)
and attach to it the contents of the config files in the old
idlerc-disabled directory.  There has been some fixes to IDLE since
2.7.3 to make it more resilient; those will be in 2.7.4 which should be
(Continue reading)

Ned Deily | 17 Feb 23:16 2013
Picon

Re: Tkinter, IDLE keeps crashing