Carl M. Johnson | 13 Feb 10:19 2012
Picon

Re: Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:50 PM, Christopher Reay wrote:

> +1 for the URL in the exception. Well in all exceptions
>
> Bringing the language into the 21st century.
> Great entry points for learning about the language.

That's not a bad idea. We might want to use some kind of URL shortener for length and future proofing though.
If the site changes, we can have redirection of the short URLs updated. Something like
http://pyth.on/e1234  --> http://docs.python.org/library/exceptions.html
Yuval Greenfield | 13 Feb 19:58 2012
Picon

Re: Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:50 PM, Christopher Reay wrote:

> +1 for the URL in the exception. Well in all exceptions
>
> Bringing the language into the 21st century.
> Great entry points for learning about the language.

That's not a bad idea. We might want to use some kind of URL shortener for length and future proofing though. If the site changes, we can have redirection of the short URLs updated. Something like http://pyth.on/e1234  --> http://docs.python.org/library/exceptions.html

I think we can use wiki.python.org/ for hosting exception specific content. E.g. http://wiki.python.org/moin/PrintFails needs a lot of love and care.

Microsoft actually has documentation for every single compiler and linker error that ever existed. Not that we have the same amount of resources at our disposal, but it is a nice concept.

Concerning the shortened url's - I'd go with trustworthiness over compactness - http://python.org/s1 or http://python.org/s/1 would be better than http://pyth.on/1 imo.

Yuval