Michael Droettboom | 29 Oct 20:10 2012

Delaying rc3 (again)

Just a quick note: Given the severe weather approaching this area, I
won't have a chance to test and get out an 1.2.0rc3 candidate until at
least Thursday.

Mike

The Windows 8 Center - In partnership with Sourceforge
Your idea - your app - 30 days.
Get started!
http://windows8center.sourceforge.net/
what-html-developers-need-to-know-about-coding-windows-8-metro-style-apps/
Jeff Whitaker | 29 Oct 20:22 2012
Picon

Re: Delaying rc3 (again)

On 10/29/12 1:10 PM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> Just a quick note: Given the severe weather approaching this area, I
> won't have a chance to test and get out an 1.2.0rc3 candidate until at
> least Thursday.
>
> Mike

Mike:

While you're hunkered down waiting the storm out, you can check out some
experimental forecast graphics created using matplotlib and basemap

http://www.hfip.org/data_ens/

(if you have internet access, that is).  Be safe!

-Jeff

Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD  R/PSD1        Email  : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...
325 Broadway                Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web    : http://tinyurl.com/5telg

The Windows 8 Center - In partnership with Sourceforge
Your idea - your app - 30 days.
Get started!
http://windows8center.sourceforge.net/
(Continue reading)

Phil Elson | 30 Oct 16:28 2012
Picon

Re: Delaying rc3 (again)

> Given the severe weather approaching this area, I
won't have a chance to test and get out an 1.2.0rc3 candidate until at
least Thursday.

Very pleased to see that you have weathered the storm and are back githubbing!

There are no more PRs in the 1.2.x milestone (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues?milestone=4&page=1&state=open) so I think we are in a good state to take a cut at any point.
I would be happy enough to spend the afternoon preparing a release candidate 3 (though other than tagging and running tests on as many architectures as possible, I'm not familiar with what is involved) if that would help? If you would rather wait, I don't think it is a big problem, the important thing to know is that we are on firm ground and the v1.2.x branch is in a fantastic state for release.

To everyone who has helped us with testing or bug finding/squashing for this release so far: Thank you for your hard work and commitment - it really does make the release so much better as a result.

All the best,

Phil

On 29 October 2012 19:10, Michael Droettboom <mdroe-PfB3aINIHTeHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Just a quick note: Given the severe weather approaching this area, I
won't have a chance to test and get out an 1.2.0rc3 candidate until at
least Thursday.

Mike

Michael Droettboom | 30 Oct 16:54 2012

Re: Delaying rc3 (again)

Agreed!  Thanks to everyone for their hard work.  I think this has shaped up to be a great release.

I'm fortunate to have power and connectivity today, so I was able to get a release tested, tagged and uploaded.

To our binary builders: as able, it would be great to put the binaries up (or send them to me to do so), and then I'll make an announcement on matplotlib-users.  I really intend (barring any really serious issues) this to be the last rc before the 1.2.0 final.

Thanks again,
Mike

On 10/30/2012 11:28 AM, Phil Elson wrote:
> Given the severe weather approaching this area, I
won't have a chance to test and get out an 1.2.0rc3 candidate until at
least Thursday.

Very pleased to see that you have weathered the storm and are back githubbing!

There are no more PRs in the 1.2.x milestone (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues?milestone=4&page=1&state=open) so I think we are in a good state to take a cut at any point.
I would be happy enough to spend the afternoon preparing a release candidate 3 (though other than tagging and running tests on as many architectures as possible, I'm not familiar with what is involved) if that would help? If you would rather wait, I don't think it is a big problem, the important thing to know is that we are on firm ground and the v1.2.x branch is in a fantastic state for release.

To everyone who has helped us with testing or bug finding/squashing for this release so far: Thank you for your hard work and commitment - it really does make the release so much better as a result.

All the best,

Phil

On 29 October 2012 19:10, Michael Droettboom <mdroe-PfB3aINIHTeHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Just a quick note: Given the severe weather approaching this area, I
won't have a chance to test and get out an 1.2.0rc3 candidate until at
least Thursday.

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Everyone hates slow websites. So do we. Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics Download AppDynamics Lite for free today: http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_sfd2d_oct

Russell E. Owen | 30 Oct 21:31 2012

Re: Delaying rc3 (again)

In article <508FF830.3050901@...>,
 Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...>
 wrote:

> Agreed!  Thanks to everyone for their hard work.  I think this has
> shaped up to be a great release.
>
> I'm fortunate to have power and connectivity today, so I was able to get
> a release tested, tagged and uploaded.
>
> To our binary builders: as able, it would be great to put the binaries
> up (or send them to me to do so), and then I'll make an announcement on
> matplotlib-users.  I really intend (barring any really serious issues)
> this to be the last rc before the 1.2.0 final.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

The Mac binaries are now up. This time it built perfectly on MacOS X
10.4; thanks to the folks that worked so hard fixing those build
problems.

The 32-bit version is not well tested because I have neither inkscape
nor ghostscript installed on that ancient system, but it passes the
tests that it can run under those circumstances.

The 64-bit version passes all tests except 2 knownfail and 3 skipped.

-- Russell

P.S. I had to build the 64-bit version twice. The first time I tried to
build it using the same directory of code that I used to build 32-bit
version. I first deleted the "build" and "dist" subdirectories and ran
"python setup.py clean", then built as usual. There were no errors or
warnings during the build, but the unit tests would not run on the
results -- complaining of missing modules.

So I built again using a freshly unpacked code directory and that worked
just fine.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this problem before, but keep forgetting to
ask about it.

Is this a bug somewhere (e.g. in matplotlib's setup.py or somewhere in
python) or is there some better way to clear out a python code directory?

Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_sfd2d_oct
Damon McDougall | 31 Oct 00:13 2012
Picon

Re: [matplotlib-devel] Delaying rc3 (again)

In article <508FF830.3050901 <at> stsci.edu>,
 wrote:

> Agreed!  Thanks to everyone for their hard work.  I think this has
> shaped up to be a great release.
>
> I'm fortunate to have power and connectivity today, so I was able to get
> a release tested, tagged and uploaded.
>
> To our binary builders: as able, it would be great to put the binaries
> up (or send them to me to do so), and then I'll make an announcement on
> matplotlib-users.  I really intend (barring any really serious issues)
> this to be the last rc before the 1.2.0 final.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

The Mac binaries are now up. This time it built perfectly on MacOS X
10.4; thanks to the folks that worked so hard fixing those build
problems.

The 32-bit version is not well tested because I have neither inkscape
nor ghostscript installed on that ancient system, but it passes the
tests that it can run under those circumstances.

The 64-bit version passes all tests except 2 knownfail and 3 skipped.

-- Russell

P.S. I had to build the 64-bit version twice. The first time I tried to
build it using the same directory of code that I used to build 32-bit
version. I first deleted the "build" and "dist" subdirectories and ran
"python setup.py clean", then built as usual. There were no errors or
warnings during the build, but the unit tests would not run on the
results -- complaining of missing modules.

So I built again using a freshly unpacked code directory and that worked
just fine.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this problem before, but keep forgetting to
ask about it.

Is this a bug somewhere (e.g. in matplotlib's setup.py or somewhere in
python) or is there some better way to clear out a python code directory?

Yes! I'm sending you a virtual high five! Thanks for thy Russell.

--
Damon McDougall
http://www.damon-is-a-geek.com

Fwd: Delaying rc3 (again)

Whoops! I copied in the users mailing list by accident. Stupid iPhone gmail app is stupid.

I might have possibly ruined the rc3 surprise. Sorry about that.

In article <508FF830.3050901-PfB3aINIHTeHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org>,
 wrote:

> Agreed!  Thanks to everyone for their hard work.  I think this has
> shaped up to be a great release.
>
> I'm fortunate to have power and connectivity today, so I was able to get
> a release tested, tagged and uploaded.
>
> To our binary builders: as able, it would be great to put the binaries
> up (or send them to me to do so), and then I'll make an announcement on
> matplotlib-users.  I really intend (barring any really serious issues)
> this to be the last rc before the 1.2.0 final.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

The Mac binaries are now up. This time it built perfectly on MacOS X
10.4; thanks to the folks that worked so hard fixing those build
problems.

The 32-bit version is not well tested because I have neither inkscape
nor ghostscript installed on that ancient system, but it passes the
tests that it can run under those circumstances.

The 64-bit version passes all tests except 2 knownfail and 3 skipped.

-- Russell

P.S. I had to build the 64-bit version twice. The first time I tried to
build it using the same directory of code that I used to build 32-bit
version. I first deleted the "build" and "dist" subdirectories and ran
"python setup.py clean", then built as usual. There were no errors or
warnings during the build, but the unit tests would not run on the
results -- complaining of missing modules.

So I built again using a freshly unpacked code directory and that worked
just fine.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this problem before, but keep forgetting to
ask about it.

Is this a bug somewhere (e.g. in matplotlib's setup.py or somewhere in
python) or is there some better way to clear out a python code directory?

Yes! I'm sending you a virtual high five! Thanks for thy Russell.

--
Damon McDougall
http://www.damon-is-a-geek.com
B2.39
Mathematics Institute
University of Warwick
Coventry
West Midlands
CV4 7AL
United Kingdom

--
Damon McDougall
http://www.damon-is-a-geek.com
B2.39
Mathematics Institute
University of Warwick
Coventry
West Midlands
CV4 7AL
United Kingdom
Christoph Gohlke | 30 Oct 23:45 2012
Picon

Re: Delaying rc3 (again)

On 10/30/2012 8:54 AM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> Agreed!  Thanks to everyone for their hard work.  I think this has
> shaped up to be a great release.
>
> I'm fortunate to have power and connectivity today, so I was able to get
> a release tested, tagged and uploaded.
>
> To our binary builders: as able, it would be great to put the binaries
> up (or send them to me to do so), and then I'll make an announcement on
> matplotlib-users.  I really intend (barring any really serious issues)
> this to be the last rc before the 1.2.0 final.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

Looks good: all tests pass on Python 2.6 to 3.3, 32 and 64 bit, on my
Windows system.

However, the agg_buffer_to_array.py example crashes under some
circumstances. See
<https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/1437>. Can anyone
reproduce the crash?

Christoph