Eric Firing | 25 Jul 00:08 2010

mplot3d broken?

While running backend_driver.py on the maintenance branch, I found that
the mplot3d examples were not working.  Here is an example:

efiring <at> manini:~/programs/py/mpl/mpl_v1_0_maint/examples/mplot3d$ python
wire3d_demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "wire3d_demo.py", line 6, in <module>
     ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d')
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/matplotlib/figure.py",
line 675, in add_subplot
     projection_class = get_projection_class(projection)
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/matplotlib/projections/__init__.py",
line 61, in get_projection_class
     raise ValueError("Unknown projection '%s'" % projection)
ValueError: Unknown projection '3d'

Eric

Benjamin Root | 25 Jul 04:01 2010
Picon

Re: mplot3d broken?

While running backend_driver.py on the maintenance branch, I found that
the mplot3d examples were not working.  Here is an example:

efiring <at> manini:~/programs/py/mpl/mpl_v1_0_maint/examples/mplot3d$ python
wire3d_demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "wire3d_demo.py", line 6, in <module>
    ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/matplotlib/figure.py",
line 675, in add_subplot
    projection_class = get_projection_class(projection)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/matplotlib/projections/__init__.py",
line 61, in get_projection_class
    raise ValueError("Unknown projection '%s'" % projection)
ValueError: Unknown projection '3d'

Eric

Double-check your axes3d.py file.  The Axes3D class should have a member variable called "name" at the very beginning of it, and the very end of the axes3d.py file should have two lines of code that registers the axes3d object with the projection system.

Ben Root
Eric Firing | 25 Jul 09:03 2010

Re: mplot3d broken?

On 07/24/2010 04:01 PM, Benjamin Root wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Eric Firing <efiring@...
> <mailto:efiring@...>> wrote:
>
>     While running backend_driver.py on the maintenance branch, I found that
>     the mplot3d examples were not working.  Here is an example:
>
>     efiring <at> manini:~/programs/py/mpl/mpl_v1_0_maint/examples/mplot3d$ python
>     wire3d_demo.py
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>        File "wire3d_demo.py", line 6, in <module>
>          ax = fig.add_subplot(111, projection='3d')
>        File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/matplotlib/figure.py",
>     line 675, in add_subplot
>          projection_class = get_projection_class(projection)
>        File
>     "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/matplotlib/projections/__init__.py",
>     line 61, in get_projection_class
>          raise ValueError("Unknown projection '%s'" % projection)
>     ValueError: Unknown projection '3d'
>
>     Eric
>

> Double-check your axes3d.py file.  The Axes3D class should have a member
> variable called "name" at the very beginning of it, and the very end of
> the axes3d.py file should have two lines of code that registers the
> axes3d object with the projection system.

Bitten by distutils again.  Attempting to get a complete clean rebuild,
I was deleting dist-packages/matplot*, but not
dist-packages/mpl_toolkits/.  Of course, doing that blows away basemap,
which is not really what I want.

It would be simpler if everything installed by matplotlib's setup.py,
and nothing else, would land in a single tree (package).  Having several
things land in mpl_toolkits, and having other things also land there, is
a pain.  Maybe we are stuck with it.  Or maybe things like basemap
should be packages in their own right, parallel to matplotlib, instead
of being inside mpl_toolkits.

Eric