Zane Selvans | 17 Oct 19:44 2008

limiting theta in polar axis plots

Is there any way to limit the theta extent in a polar axis plot?

There are a variety of angular contexts in which 360 degrees are not necessary.  To convey the orientation of an undirected line, you need only 0-180 degrees.  The minimum separation between two intersecting lines only ranges from 0-90 degrees.

It seems like the ideal way for this to work would be to have a function analogous to xlim(), maybe called thetalim(thetamin, thetamax), and then treat the two bounding radial lines as the primary and secondary y axes.

Didn't see anything like this in any of the examples or documentation though.  If it's not possible now, I think it would be a wonderful addition.

Thanks,
Zane

--
Zane Selvans
Amateur Earthling

Michael Droettboom | 17 Oct 20:06 2008

Re: limiting theta in polar axis plots

No, it's not possible now.  Just so I'm clear -- you're suggesting
plotting on a wedge from theta_1 to theta_2?  Seems doable with a little
work.

Mike

Zane Selvans wrote:
> Is there any way to limit the theta extent in a polar axis plot?
>
> There are a variety of angular contexts in which 360 degrees are not
> necessary.  To convey the orientation of an undirected line, you need
> only 0-180 degrees.  The minimum separation between two intersecting
> lines only ranges from 0-90 degrees.
>
> It seems like the ideal way for this to work would be to have a
> function analogous to xlim(), maybe called thetalim(thetamin,
> thetamax), and then treat the two bounding radial lines as the primary
> and secondary y axes.
>
> Didn't see anything like this in any of the examples or documentation
> though.  If it's not possible now, I think it would be a wonderful
> addition.
>
> Thanks,
> Zane
>
> --